Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

jesus christ

I got a buttload of CthulhuTech books used for dirt cheap since despite knowing some...questionable...things about the setting, the overall themes and ideas sounded rad as poo poo.

Then I opened it and started reading the actual rules.

Did....did anyone, at any point during the creation of this book, ever, actually try to roll for average or challenging tests? It's so absurdly flawed!

And they're really proud of how they plan to use this rules framework (no pun intended, ugh) for other games?!

It's so egregiously bad!

Everyone on this forum said this game was bad for half a decade already. Who gives a chimp's rear end about it anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TG Poster: Oh my god everyone. It turns out that this game has some really deviant and sick poo poo! I read all of this gross and creepy stuff and it's really bad! So bad, I had to read it twice because i couldn't believe my eyes!
Me: *Shrugs while tabbing back to Exhentai.org whilst swirling a cup of brandy*

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

TG Poster: Oh my god everyone. It turns out that this game has some really deviant and sick poo poo! I read all of this gross and creepy stuff and it's really bad! So bad, I had to read it twice because i couldn't believe my eyes!

Cool story broseidon, what are you currently smoking?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Let the people have their latest Emmanuel Goldstein.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Let the people have their latest Emmanuel Goldstein.

You sound like you went to school specifically to become a first-year Philosophy student. If you didn't, please get off the Internet and go outside more.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Error 404 posted:

I don't smoke.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Error 404 posted:

It was a bad post, but it's not very Pundit-like.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

You sound like you went to school specifically to become a first-year Philosophy student. If you didn't, please get off the Internet and go outside more.

I don't know if this is you LARPing wilderness encounters or what, but you following me around and whacking me with a verbal wiffle bat is starting to really perturb me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wow you sure showed me!!

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

01011001 posted:

This is the case more so than any strange reductionist interpretation.

In the world of the Witcher, humans talk about the extinction of elves, dwarves and nonhumans as an inevitability. Children play games of "Kill the elf" and a dude received an innovation award for designing a gallows to better execute dwarves. These people are defended by the Order of the Flaming Rose, a born-again religious order that also turn out to be the bad guys, led by a genocidal maniac from the past-future who wants to take over the world with an army of mutants because this will mean humanity survives the apocalypse, I guess. gently caress, he doesn't even give a good reason why all the elves and dwarves have to die for this to happen. This is what the Squirrels are fighting against.

In order to make their struggle against no-poo poo genocide morally neutral, here is a list of all possible Scoia'tael atrocities in the first Witcher:

-Killing a criminal for selling drugs to kids.
-Lying about their true motives once, claiming they wanted to secure some tunnels for symbolic reasons of heritage, while they really wanted them for...
-Robbing a bank with the intent of securing documents to give it back to its former dwarvish owner, who they hope to pressure to give them continued funding
-2xtaking hostages who they have no intention of killing. The second time it's a act of desperation by a starving and cornered unit. In this case the Order of the Flaming Rose is also considering killing the hostages for "providing aid and shelter" to the Scoia'tael.
-If you take the neutral path, attacking a hospital for providing aid to both non-humans and Flaming Rose Knights

Their leader, Yaevinn, is a tad snarky and standoffish, yes. But not only does he give a pretty solid explanation for why he might not particularly like humans (I'd be a bit miffed if I received multiple death threats composed of feces too), he still is willing to co-operate with them (you first find him chilling with the druids) and he'll gracefully accept exile in exchange for amnesty for all his followers.

A good shades of grey story is great, but the Witcher fails to be one. While none of the stuff I listed is necessarily good, it still isn't something that's going to make me go "well, I guess I would aid you in your struggle to not be cleansed from existence by a group of obviously evil shits, but really I shouldn't get involved in this icky politics business". While there are situations where the game's narration suggests the choices reflect a change in thinking and perspective by Geralt, there's still a whole bunch of "maybe you should be nicer about this whole "fighting against genocide" thing".

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Witchers are pretty much Gary Stu dick bags so it's a shades of gray dick bag story as opposed to a broader, open ended story. The writer of the Witcher is the Polish love child of George R.R. Martin and R.A. Salvatore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think my friends would like it if I ran this Lasers and Feelings hack with them, but I'm not really familiar with that genre, or anime in general, really.

What would be a good immersion, or one might say Appendix N for such a game?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You could try some mix of Assassination Classroom, Library Wars, Full Metal Panic and... poo poo, I dunno, maybe some high school drama for girls/greasy dudes to get that high school romcom thing going.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ryoshi posted:

jesus christ

I got a buttload of CthulhuTech books used for dirt cheap
Now you know why they were dirt cheap.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The writer of the Witcher [is] Polish

You could have just stopped here really.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Witchers are pretty much Gary Stu dick bags so it's a shades of gray dick bag story as opposed to a broader, open ended story. The writer of the Witcher is the Polish love child of George R.R. Martin and R.A. Salvatore.

I agree that Salvatore's characters really are kind of Gary Stu-ish, but I don't think Martin's are. Unless you meant to say that his characters are dick bags, which is true for at least half of them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

Wow you sure showed me!!

Good. Now don't repeat that crap.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Poland saved western civilization from the Turks, Mongols and Soviets by being pwned by then every year. Poland is FTW.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

This post comes across as very xenophobic

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tulpa posted:

This post comes across as very xenophobic
But he didn't say anything about Scientology.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Went to a boardgame cafe today, got to play Forbidden Desert, Betrayal on the House on the Hill, Dixit, Coup, and the DC Deckbuilding Game.

Forbidden Desert was great - it's cooperative play which I prefer and the sandstorm mechanic keeps things tense and moving.

Dixit looked incredible, the art is just all sorts of cool and ambiguous.

Coup was a nice palette cleanser in between games for how fast it plays.

The DC Deckbuilder game we had to cut-off after half an hour, but I thought it was super-easy to learn and was intuitive and I would've wanted a full run-through.

It was Betrayal that fell really flat for me. It was my second time with the game and again the second time where the Haunt took way too long to trigger and the completely random house lay-out made the outcome way too pre-determined. The traitor managed to end it mercifully quick, but I could tell that it could have dragged on for another hour of fiddly die rolling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Went to a boardgame cafe today, got to play Forbidden Desert, Betrayal on the House on the Hill, Dixit, Coup, and the DC Deckbuilding Game.

Forbidden Desert was great - it's cooperative play which I prefer and the sandstorm mechanic keeps things tense and moving.

Dixit looked incredible, the art is just all sorts of cool and ambiguous.

Coup was a nice palette cleanser in between games for how fast it plays.

The DC Deckbuilder game we had to cut-off after half an hour, but I thought it was super-easy to learn and was intuitive and I would've wanted a full run-through.

It was Betrayal that fell really flat for me. It was my second time with the game and again the second time where the Haunt took way too long to trigger and the completely random house lay-out made the outcome way too pre-determined. The traitor managed to end it mercifully quick, but I could tell that it could have dragged on for another hour of fiddly die rolling.
Betrayal is not a good game. At least it doesn't take as long as Arkham Horror.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

drrockso20 posted:

so is anyone around here familiar with the war game Mobile Frame Zero(a mecha game that you use Legos to build your units out of), cause I'm tinkering with some houserule/expansion ideas and I thought that a second opinion might be a good idea

also for anyone not familiar with it, the PDF version is free; http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/

Desert Warrior - Actuated arms rifle shouldercannon (POV) by Captain Foo, on Flickr

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Good. Now don't repeat that crap.

Poland saved western civilization from the Turks, Mongols and Soviets by being pwned by then every year. Poland is FTW.

Wasn't there a time when you were banned from the chat threads, or was that just a marvelous dream of some lost utopia?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ryoshi posted:

Wasn't there a time when you were banned from the chat threads, or was that just a marvelous dream of some lost utopia?

I agree, the world would be a better place if a bunch of people were no longer in it, as a consequence of my actions. Well, not in the particular case you're offering, but as a general rule, it's good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I kinda want one of these.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

I don't need to hear this from *reads closely* a "Massive Douchebag".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I agree, the world would be a better place if a bunch of people were no longer in it, as a consequence of my actions. Well, not in the particular case you're offering, but as a general rule, it's good.

You're right, these forums and the world in general would be a better place without you or Plutonis in them. :byewhore:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Effectronica posted:

A thread ban for being a bad poster in that thread isn't murder, dudebro. No one's proposing we kill Plutonis.

But this thread sure would be a better place for discussion without you or him posting in it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Man, there are a lot of whiny little bitch posters in this thread.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Shut up about bad things and talk about good things: some old wrestler likes World Wide Wrestling.

—an email sent to the game's author

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
That's loving heavy. Jesus.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That is awesome, and WWWrpg is awesome. I need to play it again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Plague of Hats posted:

Shut up about bad things and talk about good things: some old wrestler likes World Wide Wrestling.

WhyIthinkRPGsAreValuable.txt

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

ettin: FRIEND TO MURDERERS??????????? OR JUST MURDERERS OF GOOD TASTE

also aaaa plague of hats that's p. heartwarming

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So Boo Memorial Park (aka the Castle Park) down by Carbondale, IL is goddamn amazing. My kids are getting lost in a huge secret-door-and-monster-infested castle right now.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ningyou posted:

ettin: FRIEND TO MURDERERS??????????? OR JUST MURDERERS OF GOOD TASTE

also aaaa plague of hats that's p. heartwarming

It's true, Plutonis has a deep bond with Ettin that only being buds on Steam can bring.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He gifted me the original Payday iirc but I never played it because I already had the sequel then.

Also lol at using your SA name on Reddit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

He gifted me the original Payday iirc but I never played it because I already had the sequel then.

Also lol at using your SA name on Reddit.

lol @ using reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

WhyIthinkRPGsAreValuable.txt

We really need aomething like this in opposition to grognards.txt

• Locked thread