Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Wait, people pick up birds without tongs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Just gotta use the right bait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kpj2FAlZFU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

why do some housebirds have really raggedy feathers? is it because they dont have other birds to teach them how to preen them?

also a cat killed a wattlebird :(

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Griffball posted:

Is it possible for Tiels to be picky about where they poop? I just had oliver on my shoulder for like half an hour and as soon as I put him back on his perch he pooped, but I'm all clear. If so that is a very good potato.

Some birds seem to innately understand that they shouldn't poop on people. Not sure why some birds get that while others don't, :iiam:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Last night I had a dream of fighting a colossus that was made of a haunted house, and at some point when I was getting ready to respawn, a bunch of little Toast-coloured birds came to cuddle me. Then I wondered why my fingers were feeling numb, and I looked down, and they had almost chewed my fingers off at the first joint.

Is this prophetic of things to come??????

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori x Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Yeaw2FfIc

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

See, because him and I are bros I always think he just looks nervous because he's a lazy potato-shaped pushover with me but because he's kind of a dick to my friends they always think he looks insane.

Poicephalus parrots and greys are related so in some ways he's to a grey what a cockatiel is to a cockatoo

Is he actually nervous?

How cockatiel like is he though :v:

Griffball posted:

Is it possible for Tiels to be picky about where they poop? I just had oliver on my shoulder for like half an hour and as soon as I put him back on his perch he pooped, but I'm all clear. If so that is a very good potato.

Definitely. Steve tries to avoid it-he'll wait, and if he hasn't moved somewhere else (by choice or being put there) eventually he'll back up as far as he can over the edge of where he's perched and shits that way. Works if he's on your leg, not if he's on your back, but he tries.

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 25, 2015

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Steve getting so close in the end :3: Such an adorable potato

Griffball posted:

Sammy (a GCC) usually tries to get my attention so I know it's poop time. However, he has decided in his birdy brain that head and shoulders are no poop zones while legs are fine.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I love Ohsteve :allears: #1 celebrity goon couple

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Battle Pigeon posted:

He doesn't know what's going on but you're happy so he's happy too :3:

E: Ahhhh

Shirec posted:

It's be a good psych test.

:eng101: presents picture of lovebird wearing tiny bowler hat
:what:
:engleft: checks sociopath in box

Edit: Now I'm just googling and filled with bird hat needs

Dear gods.....this only makes me want to get a little birb even more!!!! HATS on little baby biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirbs...too cute :)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I love the bird hoodies, they're so stupid and ridiculous http://www.flightquarters.com/bird-diapers/category/fashion-hoodies.html They also have bird bandanas, snuggies (though in theory those are for pluckers I think), and other things... good thing I'm poor because I'd love to try and shove Ohtori into a bird hoodie

E: An adorable cockatoo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZnD4-WSF_M

A broken Grey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKxCRZr9WQo

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 25, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

Is he actually nervous?

How cockatiel like is he though :v:

Nah, I just get that vibe from the crazy eyes instead of manic. Only thing he gets anxious about is not getting more scritches and papaya.

He's definitely too smart to be much like cockatiels but derpy enough that he doesn't come across as terrifying like bigger birds. Also, he knows both the "I'M A COCKATIEL! :derptiel:" and "WHERE IS EVERYONE OMG AM I GOING TO DIE?" warks. He does the former whenever I let the tiels out and the latter every once in a while to gently caress with them.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

So, a similar video to this one (by the same person) popped up on my Facebook newsfeed. I had to share it, because the cockatoo is just so pissed off and evil looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag5JIlOE6as

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

schnickety scribe posted:

So, a similar video to this one (by the same person) popped up on my Facebook newsfeed. I had to share it, because the cockatoo is just so pissed off and evil looking.

You forgot the soundtrack

http://youtubedoubler.com/gwE0

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

schnickety scribe posted:

This is the greatest footage of a cockatoo.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

I love it! It goes perfect with the actions :)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Watching that cockatoo intentionally tip all the cups over only to pick one back up and set it upright reminded my of something Pashtu the cockatiel loved to do.

If you gave him a stiff cardboard tube, like the kind that you might find inside a roll of packing tape, wide enough to stand upright and roll easily, he would just pick it up and toss it around.

He liked tossing it but he REALLY liked rolling it, in fact he would spend hours pushing it around the house, he even got good enough that if it tipped onto it's side he would intentionally set it upright again and send it rolling down the hall. It was the most adorable thing.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

holy poo poo this is so good

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

:golfclap:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My uncle, who was many terrible opinions, was talking about pets the other day. He was confused as to why anyone would have a parrot, when you could have a dog. Because dogs are, apparently, smarter than parrots. And you can't train parrots to do tricks or follow orders.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My uncle, who was many terrible opinions, was talking about pets the other day. He was confused as to why anyone would have a parrot, when you could have a dog. Because dogs are, apparently, smarter than parrots. And you can't train parrots to do tricks or follow orders.

Hes probably friends with one of those people who doesn't understand how smart birds are that keeps their cockatoo in a toyless cage all day. Good chance to show him how wrong he is with toast!

Morning Lorikeet. by Saucy Bratwurst, on Flickr

This is the dickhead wild lorikeet who shat down my back

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
How to ruin Angela Merkels jacket?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Hes probably friends with one of those people who doesn't understand how smart birds are that keeps their cockatoo in a toyless cage all day. Good chance to show him how wrong he is with toast!

"dickhead wild lorikeet who shat down my back" is taking repeating yourself to a whole new level.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

That's an amazing photo

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Daisy has been doing a new thing lately, the door to her cage is open, but she goes to the top and starts pacing her perch, chirping. You put your hand in there, and she'll ride your hand out with no protest. Has she forgotten how to get out of her cage? Or is this typical cockatiel behavior?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Battle Pigeon posted:

That's an amazing photo

Thanks! Guess it was worth it in the end.

GoldStandardConure posted:

How to ruin Angela Merkels jacket?

And her hair and probably everything you see in that photo.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

"dickhead wild lorikeet who shat down my back" is taking repeating yourself to a whole new level.

There's a lot of foreigners here who really need to know that Australias terrible rear end in a top hat wildlife isn't just reptiles and sharks, all our modern dinosaurs are pretty bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

And her hair and probably everything you see in that photo.

Tough call between y'all and the rabbit thread over who tries to turn the bigger rear end in a top hat in the animal kingdom into a pet. :v: At least cat owners have the excuse of toxioplasmosis.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I want to hug your bird. :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's the weirdest thing and I don't understand why birds do it. Pion does it too.

(Maybe it's fun?)

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Daisy does that too, it's the weirdest thing.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

nielsm posted:

That's the weirdest thing and I don't understand why birds do it. Pion does it too.

(Maybe it's fun?)

why do you flex in the mirror?

that bird's selling tickets to the gun show

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I hate to say it but I think he is flipping you the bird

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

nielsm posted:

(Maybe it's fun?)

Tiels do it to claim their perch or toy or whatever.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 26, 2015

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

anotherblownsave posted:

Daisy has been doing a new thing lately, the door to her cage is open, but she goes to the top and starts pacing her perch, chirping. You put your hand in there, and she'll ride your hand out with no protest. Has she forgotten how to get out of her cage? Or is this typical cockatiel behavior?

Nugget is 8 years old and still does this. I'm pretty sure it's because cockatiels are retarded :derptiel: If I remind her a few times that the door is open or if she sees Ozzy climb out sometimes she figures it out.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

silly baby incoming

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

nielsm posted:

(Maybe it's fun?)

Pazuzu also does this. I always thought it was him exercising his stubby little clipped wings in preparation for the day he can fly around like the big boy parrots.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Tiels do it to claim their perch or toy or whatever.

This. My tiel does this from time to time. It's mostly on her cage, but sometimes just where ever she happens to be when she's playing "explorer" (cautiously going into nooks and crannies and hissing a lot :derptiel:)

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Watching Netflix with the peeps. Good Saturday afternoon :3:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

I'm watching Tora (http://scorpius.jp:8484/CgiStart?page=Single&Language=0) and she's sitting there grinding her beak, looking comfy.. but I noticed she's been holding one of her feet up for a while now. Has anyone ever seen their bird do that? It struck me as a little weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is on imgur right now. https://imgur.com/gallery/mzFdQ

I want to believe the pictures of, like, all the birds under the blanket all standing in a row all looking forward not fighting with each other are photoshopped. In particular, I was under the impression zebra finches and other itty-bitty birds were pretty much feral, even when hand-raised.