Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It would be unlikely but hilarious. If Blomkamp kills them in the most aburdly graphic ways possible in like the first ten minutes he will become my favorite director of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Incredibly graphic powerloader mishap where Ripley ends up somehow yanking Hicks in half, Bishop-style.
Out of grief, Ripley commits suicide with Hicks' pump-action.
The camera does not cut away at any point during any of it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should let Blomkamp do the next avp movie, let him go hog wild with that shitshow, why the gently caress not.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I'm someone who has complained about Prometheus. I really enjoyed the first third, and felt let down by the pacing of the second half of the movie. I was basically angry that I didn't think the movie was one of the greatest sci-fi movies I had seen. Given some time, I'm much more forgiving of its faults and would like to see more.

Also, attempting to rewatch the AvP movies definitely helped improve my Prometheus opinion.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 26, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I thought Prometheus was really good, certainly better than any movie that's had the Xenomorphs since Aliens.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Xenomrph posted:

Well they only did it once (twice if you count the comics, kinda retroactively three times if you count the novels).

They cloned Ripley eight times in Alien Resurrection, as you can tell from the number tattooed on her arm.
:goonsay:

Fake edit. I just realized that number was a callback to Alien: The 8th Passenger, which is one of my all time most favourite subtitles.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Arguments in this forum helped me to enjoy Prometheus more. At first I was annoyed at how ridiculously stupid many characters were to the point of being offputting while watching. On rewatches, I realized that said stupidity was part of the point of the plot and enjoyed it more.

I always liked the technical parts of the film, so now I just like it all of the way around.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I still have complaints about Prometheus, but they all are related to the marketing of the film, so in the end they are pretty meaningless complaints. I do feel that the marketing campaign for the film was deceptive though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I still have complaints about Prometheus, but they all are related to the marketing of the film, so in the end they are pretty meaningless complaints. I do feel that the marketing campaign for the film was deceptive though.
In what way? I felt the movie largely delivered on what the trailers showed, and I really liked the viral/ARG stuff for its subtle (and not so subtle) commentary on corporate culture, brand image, etc.

I still think Prometheus has some crippling flaws, and I genuinely wish it weren't connected to Alien. Not for the usual fanboy "RAPED MY CHILDHOOD" nonsense, but because I think Prometheus could have gone in much more interesting (and weirder, scarier) directions without being saddled with Alien's baggage, and I ultimately don't think the connections to Alien do either movie any favors.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Darko posted:

Arguments in this forum helped me to enjoy Prometheus more. At first I was annoyed at how ridiculously stupid many characters were to the point of being offputting while watching. On rewatches, I realized that said stupidity was part of the point of the plot and enjoyed it more.

I always liked the technical parts of the film, so now I just like it all of the way around.

Can you explain a little? I think what you're talking about is the stupidity of the scientists, who do very un-scientist type things, right? How was this the point of the plot? I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly feel the same way about the movie, and never understood half the things these people do and why it was written this way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

In what way? I felt the movie largely delivered on what the trailers showed, and I really liked the viral/ARG stuff for its subtle (and not so subtle) commentary on corporate culture, brand image, etc.

I still think Prometheus has some crippling flaws, and I genuinely wish it weren't connected to Alien. Not for the usual fanboy "RAPED MY CHILDHOOD" nonsense, but because I think Prometheus could have gone in much more interesting (and weirder, scarier) directions without being saddled with Alien's baggage, and I ultimately don't think the connections to Alien do either movie any favors.

The trailer was purposely very similar to the iconic Alien trailer, it even had the same music. Most of the pre-release material went out of its way to emphasize the Alien connection.

So I went into it expecting a straight-up Alien sequel and I think that effected my first viewing of the film. It was only after I watched it again, having put those expectations behind me, that I could really see it for what it is.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

Can you explain a little? I think what you're talking about is the stupidity of the scientists, who do very un-scientist type things, right? How was this the point of the plot? I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly feel the same way about the movie, and never understood half the things these people do and why it was written this way.

It's especially incongruous when the space truckers of 'Alien' don't do anything near as dumb as the Prometheus scientists.
People latched onto it in Prometheus because their actions aren't just stupid, they're unrealistically stupid. Like, profoundly stupid even for horror movie redshirt cannon fodder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Weyland funded the project because of his fantasy of immortality, but by the time the everything was reaching the final stage where people needed to be hired for the crew he was already in stasis. Vickers, his daughter, is the one puts the crew together and she is simply going through the motions because she doesn't believe in the project. She just wants to fulfill her father's final wish so that he can just die already and she can move on with her life as the head of the company. The film makes a point of telling you that she personally hired the majority the crew, and that's the reason.

Thematically the film is about hubris, so people making mistakes is a major part of that. These scientists probably get away with their lazy practices in their normal work, but they fail to recognize they've entered a world that is not at all forgiving and WILL kill them for the slightest oversight. Its a very important aspect of the film.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Weyland funded the project because of his fantasy of immortality, but by the time the everything was reaching the final stage where people needed to be hired for the crew he was already in stasis. Vickers, his daughter, is the one puts the crew together and she is simply going through the motions because she doesn't believe in the project. She just wants to fulfill her father's final wish so that he can just die already and she can move on with her life as the head of the company. The film makes a point of telling you that she personally hired the majority the crew, and that's the reason.

Thematically the film is about hubris, so people making mistakes is a major part of that. These scientists probably get away with their lazy practices in their normal work, but they fail to recognize they've entered a world that is not at all forgiving and WILL kill them for the slightest oversight. Its a very important aspect of the film.
Okay this is actually a really interesting point, and makes the characters' stupidity somewhat more palatable.

I think my problem with it is that the characters were TOO stupid; I get that they were careless because maybe they were lazy, but the poo poo they do in Prometheus is beyond the pale by even "average human" standards, let alone "alleged doctoral candidates". as demonstrated in the very same series, space truckers show more caution than they do.

If the filmmakers were trying to display hubris by having the characters do irresponsible things that get them killed by a foreign environment, they took it to a hamfisted extreme. What those characters do would have gotten them killed *on earth*, never mind a crazy alien planet.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Building off of Basebf, basically, Weyland was a really old man, desperate to find a way to hold on to life. Meanwhile, a really bad scientist with huge daddy/God issues stumbled across some ancient artwork and came up with a goofy theory about it because she's a bad scientist. Weyland latched on to that due to his desperation and funded a last ditch mission to save his life. His daughter just threw together a team or whoever was around that would go off on a multi-year mission as was explained above. The only issue is that the woman's crackpot theory happened to be partially right, which created much of the trouble.

Most of the stupid actions are done by the zealot bad scientist, who was stated to be such by multiple characters in-film, and a couple of members of the ramshackle team that was put together. And you have David, who is just basically wandering around trolling everyone, creating issues. However, Theron's character, and the people she -would- have hired based on skill (the ship's captain, because the ship is an asset that must be protected) are all competent. It's really this clash and conflict that much of the movie is about.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Okay this is actually a really interesting point, and makes the characters' stupidity somewhat more palatable.

I think my problem with it is that the characters were TOO stupid; I get that they were careless because maybe they were lazy, but the poo poo they do in Prometheus is beyond the pale by even "average human" standards, let alone "alleged doctoral candidates". as demonstrated in the very same series, space truckers show more caution than they do.

If the filmmakers were trying to display hubris by having the characters do irresponsible things that get them killed by a foreign environment, they took it to a hamfisted extreme. What those characters do would have gotten them killed *on earth*, never mind a crazy alien planet.

Off of the top of my head, the stupid actions were mainly:

1) The geologist and the biologist or whatever. Firstly, high on space weed. Secondly, not the cream of the crop because they were hired just to fill roles. Their appearance was purposely crafted to show they were in the "I don't give a gently caress" level of their field.

2) Weyland. Desperate old man trying anything in order to hang on to life.

3) Main character's boyfriend for taking off his mask. Being a risk taker is within the realm of possibility of a character.

4) Main female character. Established as an irrational zealot bad scientist from the beginning. Listen to what people like Ben Carson with heavy science backgrounds spout out, and you shouldn't question that.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 25, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't agree with the complaints about the stupidity of certain characters, but what I really don't get is when I hear people say they couldn't follow what David was doing and what his motivations were. People who say that clearly didn't pay much attention to the film.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Darko posted:

1) The geologist and the biologist or whatever. Firstly, high on space weed. Secondly, not the cream of the crop because they were hired just to fill roles. Their appearance was purposely crafted to show they were in the "I don't give a gently caress" level of their filed.
Part of the deal with these two is that the biologist is noticeably interested in Wolf Man and wants to be his pal / something more pretty bad. People get offended by him messing with the snake monster, but he is a biologist confronted with a brand new alien species and he's trying very hard to Be Cool in front of someone he desperately wants to impress. If they hadn't been huffing around some haunted corridors alone for a few hours he probably would have been a bit more careful investigating.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I don't agree with the complaints about the stupidity of certain characters, but what I really don't get is when I hear people say they couldn't follow what David was doing and what his motivations were. People who say that clearly didn't pay much attention to the film.

Playing around with the worm things as they were was definitely stupid out of context, as they resembled snakes and people have a natural aversion to playing around with snakes like that, especially when showing aggressive behavior. However (a) space weed, and people do dumb stuff on space weed, and (b) a deleted scene explains the kind of motivation that would make someone act more irrational about that, and shows it was thought about.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I do t have a problem with 2 or 4 so much as 1 and 3.

Being a pothead doesn't really excuse getting lost in a tunnel that you personally mapped, and taunting a snake creature is dumb no matter what planet you're on.

Popping off the helmet is above and beyond stupid; even Alien makes a very specific plot point about not breaking quarantine. The fact that the other characters don't immediately flip out a and go "are you retarded???? Put your helmet back on, Jesus Christ" just compounds the issue.

Again, the space truckers act more believably than the Prometheus crew.

Like I said, it's not that they do dumb poo poo, even in Alien you've got people doing dumb poo poo (Kane sticking his face in the egg, Brett hunting for the cat and totally forgetting about the Alien), but the Prometheus characters go above and beyond to the point that it calls attention to itself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Playing around with the worm things as they were was definitely stupid out of context, as they resembled snakes and people have a natural aversion to playing around with snakes like that, especially when showing aggressive behavior. However (a) space weed, and people do dumb stuff on space weed, and (b) a deleted scene explains the kind of motivation that would make someone act more irrational about that, and shows it was thought about.

Oh yea, its stupid alright, I'm not trying to argue that point. I just don't have a problem with the characters making a stupid mistake like that, it didn't come across as contrived to me, it felt very realistic.

Re: the space truckers in Alien. I don't think its an appropriate comparison because those characters worked for a major corporation that had established policies about space travel like the quarantine issue. The crew of Prometheus is slapped together in secret in a very haphazard way, and there is no precedent yet for the kind of voyage they are taking. All of the rules and regulations that existed by the time of the Nostromo aren't in place yet.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 25, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xeno: I have multiple scars on my body from doing ridiculous stupid poo poo while drunk/high. You're underestimating that effect. Also, whatever the biologist's name is was utterly fascinated with the worms and amazed he found alien life and was driven by that excitement. Deleted scenes make that clearer, yes, but that is something that can be inferred.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea, its stupid alright, I'm not trying to argue that point. I just don't have a problem with the characters making a stupid mistake like that, it didn't come across as contrived to me, it felt very realistic.

Re: the space truckers in Alien. I don't think its an appropriate comparison because those characters worked for a major corporation that had established policies about space travel like the quarantine issue. The crew of Prometheus is slapped together in secret in a very haphazard way, and there is no precedent yet for the kind of voyage they are taking. All of the rules and regulations that existed by the time of the Nostromo aren't in place yet.

re: Alien - "Looking in the egg" isn't stupid because he doesn't know he's in a horror movie, either, really. But, yeah, you can't compare the actions of a tired crew forced to work overtime working with company regulations and a ragtag, put together group of widely varying personalities on a private journey that just happen to luck into making first contact.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So now will we be getting two different, unrelated Alien films in possibly the same year?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Xenomrph posted:

Popping off the helmet is above and beyond stupid; even Alien makes a very specific plot point about not breaking quarantine. The fact that the other characters don't immediately flip out a and go "are you retarded???? Put your helmet back on, Jesus Christ" just compounds the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbzuu14bGgs

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darko posted:

re: Alien - "Looking in the egg" isn't stupid because he doesn't know he's in a horror movie, either, really. But, yeah, you can't compare the actions of a tired crew forced to work overtime working with company regulations and a ragtag, put together group of widely varying personalities on a private journey that just happen to luck into making first contact.
Except that, as mentioned, their actions often defy basic common sense, no on-the-books corporate regulations required.

Yes, the deleted worm scene makes things slightly more palatable, but sticking your face in a really obviously hostile snake creature's space is still profoundly stupid, and he certainly isn't acting like he's incoherently stoned when he does it.

Like I said, yeah you can kinda handwave the stupidity by jumping through hoops, but it's still a really ham-fisted way of showing "the hubris of man in the face of the unknown" because it really calls attention to itself to the point that it distracts from that message. 'Alien' more deftly shows the same exact message, without the audience getting distracted by the idiocy of the character's actions.

Bingo. When a comedy/parody movie shows more believable actions, you done hosed up. A major component of horror (and being able to empathize with characters in any situation, really) is being able to place yourself in the character's shoes and say "yeah, I'd act similarly, which means I'd be in danger too and that's scary". When the characters act unbelievably, it takes the audience out of the narrative.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 25, 2015

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The characters in Prometheus acting like idiots is funny. Some people find that jarring and tonally inconsistent with the rest of the movie. Personally, I thought it gelled just fine. It's got a nice mix of intentional humor and cerebral ambiguity.

In short, Prometheus owned.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Prometheus is bad, both AvP movies are good.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Tony Shalhoub's character in Galaxy Quest supposed to be perpetually stoned?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I firmly believe that half of the deleted scenes in the movie would've fixed a lot of character inconsistencies. Or at least most of them.

"Why did that guy touch the penis snake?"
Because he loves animals and touches them all the time. Which was included in a deleted scene where he does the same thing, setting up his dumb naive response to Alien creatures.

or

"How come no one cares or knows about the thing in the med pod!"
Vickers directly references the "thing in the medpod" in a deleted scene.

There's so much more. Scott cut the movie down to make more money, but some of his choices he cut out were a bit baffling to me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDowell posted:

Isn't Tony Shalhoub's character in Galaxy Quest supposed to be perpetually stoned?

That was the original way it was filmed, but it's more interesting if he's not.

Xenomrph posted:

A major component of horror (and being able to empathize with characters in any situation, really) is being able to place yourself in the character's shoes and say "yeah, I'd act similarly"

Probably the most common stereotype for film right now is yelling at horror movie characters that they're "acting stupid".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

computer parts posted:

Probably the most common stereotype for film right now is yelling at horror movie characters that they're "acting stupid".
That doesn't make it any less valid of a complaint. There's a reason it's a cliche, one that even gets lampshaded/subverted in genre-deconstructing flicks like the Scream series or Cabin in the Woods, because audiences recognize when characters do reckless or unrealistically dumb things. It isn't a new thing, or one that's happening just "right now" - it's been a horror movie trope that has made audiences roll their eyes for decades.
It has nothing to do with the characters "not knowing they're in a horror movie". Prometheus could have been a slapstick comedy and audiences would have recognized that Milburn harassing the space snake was profoundly stupid, and with predictable results.

But with horror movies you're supposed to feel for the characters and that's where a lot of the tension comes from, so when they start doing unrealistically stupid poo poo, the audience stops empathizing with the characters and it stops being scary.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

People don't always act 100 per cent rationally. This criticism of yours is such low hanging fruit. Boring.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yaws posted:

People don't always act 100 per cent rationally. This criticism of yours is such low hanging fruit. Boring.
There's acting dumb, and there's acting so dumb it takes the audience out of the movie.

I'm glad you took the time to talk about a topic you don't care about, though. :cheers:

The problem isn't that the characters did dumb poo poo, it's that the movie executed it so poorly that it undermined an otherwise interesting theme ("the hubris of man").

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xenomrph posted:

There's acting dumb, and there's acting so dumb it takes the audience out of the movie.

The average audience member probably didn't care. In fact, going by Cinemascore the audience found Prometheus fairly enjoyable.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

I'm glad you took the time to talk about a topic you don't care about, though. :cheers:

I didn't feel any of the characters in Prometheus acted in a way that made the audience not care about them. They're human. Humans are fallible. Humans act irrationally. Especially when they're thrown in extreme circumstances like in Prometheus.

It seems like you're less interested in discussing the film and more interested in having the last word, repeating the same thing over and over again. It's childish.

Diesel Fucker
Aug 14, 2003

I spent my rent money on tentacle porn.
It's all down the the awful script. We could have had the relevant plot beats WITH the characters acting in a manner that wasn't frustratingly idiotic but the whole thing feels very mish-mashed and cobbled together.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Cool, this thread is now exactly where the Prometheus thread was 3 years ago. The "characters acting stupid" thing is now a meme, and the thread is entering into the early stages of the dance.

What I did love about Prometheus was that it re established the alien biology/life cycle as something terrifying and incomprehensible. As much as I love Aliens, to me it makes a misstep by turning the alien life cycle into something that has an earth analogue. Which would have been fine if all the other writers in the series had decided that that was it. Prometheus turned it's life cycle back into some algorithm/moebius strip. It owned in that regard.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This is xenomrph we're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if his posts were originally written in crayon in his alien vs. predator coloring book and had to be transcribed by one of his parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Excited for the sequel. I hope the Deacon makes an appearance.