Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
yes this forum is kinda insular and needs to get out of its own rear end at times but GBS of all loving places in not in a position to teach that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bring back mommie dearest as forever mod.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Rumda posted:

yes this forum is kinda insular and needs to get out of its own rear end at times but GBS of all loving places in not in a position to teach that

gbs the forum with 400 browsing users is too insular for GWS, th forum with 2 browsing users

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rumda posted:

ahh yes, this (relatively) massive forum is so insular compared to the one that has the same group of people circle jerking about 'invaders' from another forum

yes

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

les fleurs du mall posted:

gbs the forum with 400 browsing users is too insular for GWS, th forum with 2 browsing users

no you heads are so far up your own asses that your looped round

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Rumda posted:

tell me more ur making jokes ur finally becoming human

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rumda posted:

i want you to apologize for this post

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pivotal Lever posted:

How do I measure a tablespoon of butter? Probably I cannot use an actual tablespoon, there were several pages of arguments about this specific topic recently. If I cannot trust a tablespoon, how can I trust any recipe? Is cooking food accurately even possible with this revelation? Should goons with spoons even exist if measuring accurate quantities is impossible?
It's not goons with tablespoons.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tom Brady posted:

i want you to apologize for this post

jus speaking in language u under satnd

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
well.. gently caress this, not worth the time really

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rumda posted:

jus speaking in language u under satnd

oh right because i sometimes post in gbs i'm illiterate

literally a thing that you believe, but of course, i'm the ignorant one

you realize that i've been a goon long enough to exist when making a typo was a bannable offense right lmfao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Happy Hat posted:

well.. gently caress this, not worth the time really

It'll run its course

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I think gbs shitposting is funny.

cuck lol

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

social vegan posted:

i can relate, most people don't have enough chromosomes to get my jokes

Inbreed more.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Like if I came in and told you all that we're going to be measuring 4oz of garlic and 2oz of oil into vacuum bags, and SV'ing our confit garlic now as opposed to putting it in a 225F oven for an hour, 10 pounds at a time, you'd look at me like I'm some loving madman until you realize the joke.

Is the joke botulism?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

quote:

Male, female, gay, straight, legal, illegal, country of origin—who cares? You can either cook an omelet or you can’t. You can either cook five hundred omelets in three hours—like you said you could, and like the job requires—or you can’t. There’s no lying in the kitchen. The restaurant kitchen may indeed be the last, glorious meritocracy—where anybody with the skills and the heart is welcomed. But if you’re old, or out of shape—or were never really certain about your chosen path in the first place—then you will surely and quickly be removed. Like a large organism’s natural antibodies fighting off an invading strain of bacteria, the life will slowly push you out or kill you off. Thus it is. Thus it shall always be. The ideal progression for a nascent culinary career would be to, first, take a jump straight into the deep end of the pool. Long before student loans and culinary school, take the trouble to find out who you are.”

― Anthony Bourdain, Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook

As in the kitchen, and in this forum.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

DekeThornton posted:

Is the joke botulism?

No, that's when I tell you to thaw the fish before vac bagging, and just make up some nonsense about compressing the flesh.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've learned a lot from GWS, and the shitposting has reached such a volume that that benefit is being lost. I am sorry if GWS is not funny enough for you but it would be nice if instead of gassing threads that people shitpost in maybe the people shitposting were stopped from doing so. The response has been not only helpful but actively detrimental.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

guppy posted:

I've learned a lot from GWS, and the shitposting has reached such a volume that that benefit is being lost. I am sorry if GWS is not funny enough for you but it would be nice if instead of gassing threads that people shitpost in maybe the people shitposting were stopped from doing so. The response has been not only helpful but actively detrimental.

Can't we have both?

Is there a reason we can't? Maybe you all can learn how to laugh and some other people can learn a thing or two about cooking

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Nah - not giving a poo poo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

Is the joke botulism?
Raw garlic is no bueno SV

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Hat posted:

Nah - not giving a poo poo.

you had to make a post to mention you don't give a poo poo? you obviously do since you went out of your way to mention you don't.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
sincere q has this subforum ever had anything on th frontpage

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Butter has been used extensively throughout history for holistic and healing purposes.

The Five Basic Medicines

The five basic medicines are introduced in an account relating how certain monks at Savatthi suffered from a disease that occurred during the autumn months (mid-September to mid-November). The symptoms for the disease are explicit: the monks threw up the rice gruel the drank and the food they ate. Thereupon, they became emeciated, miserable, of bad color, and increasingly pale (or jaundiced), and their limbs were covered in blood vessels. The Buddha was consulted and sanctioned five medicines, deemed to be food but not ample nourisment, to be given to the monks: ghee, or clarified butter, fresh butter, oil, honey, and molasses, or treacle. After taking the medicines, the monks did not improve and their symptoms became increasingly acute, for they were unable to digest ordinary coarse meals or even less oily ones. As a result of these worsening conditions, the monks were permitted to partake of the five medicines at any time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tom Brady posted:

Can't we have both?

Is there a reason we can't? Maybe you all can learn how to laugh and some other people can learn a thing or two about cooking

It doesn't need to have both. Probably easier overall without it but if the mods think that makes the subforum less accessible then that's where it's at I guess?

I didn't find it elitist or exclusive here and I post all over the place. I have no formal training in cooking and never will. Cooking is a lot of fun though and I've learned more from this subforum than any other on SA.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have an idea - let's talk about food instead of talking about talking about talking about food.

I have a vac packed bone in pork shoulder that I'm thinking about boiling (or simmering) in the sealed package as a super-low super-slow affair. Will this be a disaster? I've never tried anything like this before.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

CommonShore posted:

I have an idea - let's talk about food instead of talking about talking about talking about food.

I have a vac packed bone in pork shoulder that I'm thinking about boiling (or simmering) in the sealed package as a super-low super-slow affair. Will this be a disaster? I've never tried anything like this before.

you could always ask GWS' new resident cooking agony uncle Mister Daddy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743604

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

afaik cooking food in plastic bags is a fairly common and accepted thing to do

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Mr. Wookums posted:

It's not goons with tablespoons.

Please rename the forum to this

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i do all my cooking in artisanal cured plastic recovered from the great pacific garbage patch

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Pulled_Pork

It's likely too thick as is to cook without breaking it down into smaller components and resealing it. You wouldn't want to cook in a boil/simmer anyway so use your grill or oven.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommonShore posted:

It could work but pork shoulder is a cut that works fine just cooking low and slow outside of any bag since it's got so much fat in it. Cooking low and slow to a just above rare temperature might be better for a thick chop or tenderloin.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

CommonShore posted:

simmer it v v low for couple of hours, but then remove it and grill it properly
unless the packaging explicitly tells you not to do this because the plastic is made of cancer then go hog wild(;)) and get REAL beefy :)

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Xoidanor posted:

Hey, GBS frequently dwells into sophisticated comedy, such as New York sandwich tax legislation.

I think you mean "delves" there champ. Oh, sorry that's grammatical, not culinary. Oh well.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You'd think someone would notice that I wrote GBS instead of GWS. :v:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Xoidanor posted:

You'd think someone would notice that I wrote GBS instead of GWS. :v:

as it turns out not everybody has a really awkward complex about 'forum identity' and apparently people in this particular one are very loving weird about where your post count resides

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
more on topic: i was cheffing some kraft macaroni and cheese (the recipe calls for milk) but i didnt have any milk so i substituted butter

it actually came out pretty good tbh

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So basically a bunch of GBS posters come here and poo poo all over the place, including one of their mods, and the the GWS mod's reaction is "Well you should have been nicer to outsiders."

Just delete the forum if you don't give a poo poo Bart.

I give more of a poo poo than I probably should, but much like Happy Hat I don't see any reason to discuss my personal feelings on the Internet with a bunch of random people, some of whom are kinda being dicks right now.

Well I'm just glad you're doing nothing about any of it.

Yeah you're right I really should be wading in there and probating/banning/gassing en mass because clearly that's the best-

Thanks Bart. These last couple years of virtual non-moderation have been the best moderation this forum has seen in a while.

I'm getting some mixed signals here.

And actually I have been doing things about things. When people get truly obnoxious (as opposed to just mildly annoying) they get probations. I've gassed a few threads; not many, but then again I hear my best moderation is my non-moderation so I don't want to do too much lest I return to being a Bad Mod. If threads prove to be consistently bad or problematic, I close them (see: Michelada thread).

I don't get flashy with probation messages or post in here when I do something. I just do it. If you don't notice it, that's fine. It probably improves your opinion of my moderation (at least sometimes).

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

contrapants posted:

Please rename the forum to this

GWTbsp, not to be confused with GWtsp.

bartolimu posted:

I give more of a poo poo than I probably should, but much like Happy Hat I don't see any reason to discuss my personal feelings on the Internet with a bunch of random people, some of whom are kinda being dicks right now.

Yeah you're right I really should be wading in there and probating/banning/gassing en mass because clearly that's the best-

I'm getting some mixed signals here.

And actually I have been doing things about things. When people get truly obnoxious (as opposed to just mildly annoying) they get probations. I've gassed a few threads; not many, but then again I hear my best moderation is my non-moderation so I don't want to do too much lest I return to being a Bad Mod. If threads prove to be consistently bad or problematic, I close them (see: Michelada thread).

I don't get flashy with probation messages or post in here when I do something. I just do it. If you don't notice it, that's fine. It probably improves your opinion of my moderation (at least sometimes).

If you aren't perfect, why bother!?! Also, this is better than The Ray Parlour any day. That sub forum is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

bartolimu posted:

please dont probate me, it is my birthday :ohdear: