Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thank you and no, he's a sweetie. Never had any problems except when I added the yellow tang, They duked it out for a week or so, now they're best friends. 75g by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
So, my pair of Black Ice clowns have been laying eggs pretty consistently for a while. Always in the same place, and I get two batches a month sometimes. Of course, none have survived in my big tank but I've done a lot of reading on it, and am considering trying to raise the fry. Anyone here tried before? Any particular tips/advice?

Here's a picture of mama!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Beautiful clown.

No advice but I know there is a shitload of information out there on this on Reef Central and whatnot. It can't be that hard as lots of people are selling clowns on Craiglist or whatever. I think its just a lot of work and monitoring.

The two assholes I've got look great but they won't get near the RBTA I got them. They basically refuse to leave the bottom corner of the tank.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My eight week fallow period is officially over, and I was able to move my fish from QT back into DT today. Hoping I never have to go through that again.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got my new livestock into the tank this weekend, and I'm happy to report that at least one of the cinnamon clowns has decided to host in my bubble tip anemone! I was hoping they would, but definitely wasn't counting on it.

Cinnamon clown hosting in a bubble tip anemone.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 28, 2015

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Spent some time getting my tank back into fighting form and things are on track! I can't say enough about proper biological filtration. My sand bed, large amount of live rock and chaeto have no doubt kept this tank alive through months of neglect. A few weeks have gone by and to celebrate I've picked up my first few SPS frags and a cleaner shrimp. First time owning a cleaner shrimp and I don't know what took so long. Something about this guy is just intrinsically hilarious and guests at my place love to watch him. I have a nice frogspawn at the top and middle of my rock work and the shrimp has taken to just hanging upside down off of the side of it and using that as a base of operations for cleaning strikes around the tank. My maroon clownfish does seem to take exception to the occasional uninvited cleaning, but this shrimp is a professional and sometimes that means trying to ride a fish like a horse for cleanings. Also, I guess my toadstool has gotten lazy while growing and has grafted itself to the surround rock work sideways. Now it looks like a california king bed for the clown!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 29, 2015

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
My 10 gallon nano is about 6 months old at this point, and I haven't added anything new in a while. However, over the past few months I've gone from 10 hermits and 5 sexy shrimp to one of each, and there is now a pile of empty hermit and snail shells (and a mutilated urchin shell) in the back of the tank in the rock work, and I have started hearing random clicking noises. At least one of the shells has a hole in it. Also, my anemone shrimp is missing one of her big claws now.

I am suspecting a small mantis of some kind, or some other murder machine. I am okay with this.

I also have 2 curlicue anemones that are getting too drat big and plenty of spaghetti worms being creepy all the time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zoas look really nice, what do you have on the upper left rock?

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Zoas look really nice, what do you have on the upper left rock?

The 2 little ones are ricordeas, and the big purple/green thing is a maxi mini carpet anemone

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Love the zoas! I've had terrible luck with some neon orange buttons I bought a few months ago. They never really did well and brought in some annoying algae :(. Some phone pictures of the new shrimp and the old clown fish. Forgive the water dirtiness...had to scrape the coralline algae off of the sides to take pictures. Was going to have to get around to that eventually, anyway.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
This is a bit of a weird question, but I'm hoping someone has the expertise to either answer or at least point me in the right direction.

I do some volunteer work at a local wildlife preserve; they have a 1600 gallon tank that currently houses a squirrelfish, a sheepshead and a loggerhead turtle. The tank previously had quite a few other fish, but there was a rapid die-off. The necropsy from the local university's vet department indicated ich (plus a few opportunistic bacterial and parasitic issues).

We'd like to remove the remaining fish from the tank and let it lie fallow for 12 weeks to kill off the ich, but there is not other reasonable housing for the loggerhead turtle. My question is this: is it possible for marine reptiles such as sea turtles to serve as hosts for the ich, or will removing the fish (but leaving the turtle) and letting the tank sit for three months terminate the ich life cycle?

If anyone either has experience with this issue, or can point me in the direction of a reputable resource, I would be hugely grateful.

Also, Hood Ornament, I absolutely love your nano. Colorful and full without being too busy.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Aw, thanks! :) I want to add more things, but I don't want to overload it, so I'm letting it sit so the softies and polyps can expand more.

As far as ich, I don't think it can jump to reptiles at all. I'm not able to find anything online about turtles getting ich, but you might want to call a reptile vet and ask them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

revmoo posted:

Oh my god I haven't touched the tank in almost a year.
Posted Jul 16, 2013 :laugh:

I'm finally getting around to cleaning the tank up, it's been over two years since the last water change and nearly a year since I turned off my protein skimmer. The polycarbonate collection cup separated and I've been too lazy to glue it back together so it's just been sitting, off, full of muck.

Anyone have tips on cleaning the skimmer? I was going to use vinegar and water in a bucket and just let it run for a bit but I imagine as gross as this thing is I'll have to get a little more aggressive with it.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 3, 2015

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
Hot water has always worked fine for me.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

revmoo posted:

Posted Jul 16, 2013 :laugh:

I'm finally getting around to cleaning the tank up, it's been over two years since the last water change and nearly a year since I turned off my protein skimmer. The polycarbonate collection cup separated and I've been too lazy to glue it back together so it's just been sitting, off, full of muck.

Anyone have tips on cleaning the skimmer? I was going to use vinegar and water in a bucket and just let it run for a bit but I imagine as gross as this thing is I'll have to get a little more aggressive with it.

Yea I'd just go with a long and thorough vinegar bath. After a day or two of the skimmer running in the vinegar, I pull it out and go over it all with a rough sponge cause poo poo will still definitely be stuck on there but it will be much looser after the bath.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ended up soaking the skimmer in hot water and rinsing it off, scrubbed the skimmer cup with dish soap and a sponge. That's all it took and I've got everything up and running. I still have a poo poo ton of barnacles all over the skimmer but they don't seem to affect it so whatever. Everything was in much better shape than I imagined after neglecting the tank for years. Did a 30 gallon water change, put new T5ho bulbs in, and cleaned everything up. Also picked up a refractometer after breaking two hydrometers in one day. Holy poo poo I can't believe I hosed around with hydrometers for so long. A brand new floating type was reading 1.020 and the refractometer after checking calibration reads 1.025. So much easier and nicer to use.

Now I'm rethinking my water change routine as driving across town to buy RO/DI water and trucking 30 leaking gallons back in my car is getting really old. I think I'm going to buy a RO machine and a industrial trash can and use a pump for circulation/changes.

Starting to think longer-term with this thing and I think I want to look at possibly doing a basement sump. Then I can put all the WC stuff in one place and do water changes by simply opening and closing valves. Just need to set aside some cash. I've calculated it will probably cost me around $700 to do a basement sump. Annoyingly, if I want to do it without breaking down the tank, I'll have to drain my sump and then smash the glass to remove it, so I can access the wall behind it to run plumbing. Fortunately I have a spare tank laying around I can use for a sump!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

revmoo posted:

Ended up soaking the skimmer in hot water and rinsing it off, scrubbed the skimmer cup with dish soap and a sponge. That's all it took and I've got everything up and running. I still have a poo poo ton of barnacles all over the skimmer but they don't seem to affect it so whatever. Everything was in much better shape than I imagined after neglecting the tank for years. Did a 30 gallon water change, put new T5ho bulbs in, and cleaned everything up. Also picked up a refractometer after breaking two hydrometers in one day. Holy poo poo I can't believe I hosed around with hydrometers for so long. A brand new floating type was reading 1.020 and the refractometer after checking calibration reads 1.025. So much easier and nicer to use.

Now I'm rethinking my water change routine as driving across town to buy RO/DI water and trucking 30 leaking gallons back in my car is getting really old. I think I'm going to buy a RO machine and a industrial trash can and use a pump for circulation/changes.

Starting to think longer-term with this thing and I think I want to look at possibly doing a basement sump. Then I can put all the WC stuff in one place and do water changes by simply opening and closing valves. Just need to set aside some cash. I've calculated it will probably cost me around $700 to do a basement sump. Annoyingly, if I want to do it without breaking down the tank, I'll have to drain my sump and then smash the glass to remove it, so I can access the wall behind it to run plumbing. Fortunately I have a spare tank laying around I can use for a sump!

A successful reef tank is 99% about planning to make the thing easy to service. If it's a pain, you WILL slack on maintenance, and the tank will suffer.

Also, I put off getting an RO/DI setup for a long time. It was a dumb thing to put off. ;)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Couldn't agree more, and hence why the tank got neglected for 2+ years. The hobby ebbs and flows but the tank is there all the time. Definitely rethinking some of my practices.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

The perks of a nano and being able to just buy a 2gal jug of distilled every week for a dollar.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a lot of big fw tanks, but the thought of going higher than 40 in sw scares me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Enos Cabell posted:

I've got a lot of big fw tanks, but the thought of going higher than 40 in sw scares me.

I went from a 4.4, to a 29, to a 55. Each move has been more expensive, but also an order of magnitude easier, and more successful.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

My path has been 15 to 40 to 75, new place downgrade to the current 29. Next tank will be (lease-and-landlord-willing) 200+. Tired of small tanks and cramped quarters!

It's still going to be throwing money into a black hole much like owning a boat.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You could easily own and maintain a boat for the cost of a mid range SW setup. Kind of stupid when you think about it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Still battling cyano, and realised last night that I am an idiot. I have been doing weekly water changes, but realized that while I used to be good about rinsing my filter sponge every water change, I hadn't done it in months. It was pretty filthy. (Running a biocube with just bio balls and a sponge)

So I figured 'aha, that's where this cyano bloom came from!', but the thing is, my phosphates and nitrates have been at zero this entire time, so what am I missing here? What would a filthy filter affect if not phos and nitrate?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The cyano is eating the nitrates and phosphorus.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TKIY posted:

The cyano is eating the nitrates and phosphorus.

... yeah, that makes sense...

Jesus, I have been treating it like a big mystery as to how I could possibly have cyano if my phos was always at zero.. Well hey, hopefully cleaning the filter was the last missing step in getting this under control. The water changes and manual removal will continue.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Why are you still using bioballs? Those things are horrible nitrate traps. Really with enough LR and water chanes you shouldn't need any filtration.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

revmoo posted:

Why are you still using bioballs? Those things are horrible nitrate traps. Really with enough LR and water chanes you shouldn't need any filtration.

True story, I don't use any filtration at all except a bit of filter floss.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have none. No foam filters on my pumps, nothing. We had a ton of little filters all over the sump when first starting out and I've gradually removed them all. No point imho.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Ya'll need to clarify mechanical versus biological filtration.

Mechanical filtration is situational in saltwater - you want to clear your water for some photos or during a water change when you're blasting the rocks to free up detritus. Sponges, foams and felt/mesh socks are the passive type; canister or hang-on-tank are obviously powered and do a much more thorough job. If you run any of these continuously, you're likely to cause more problems than solve because they will collect everything in the water whether it is beneficial organisms or loose algae.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

revmoo posted:

I have none. No foam filters on my pumps, nothing. We had a ton of little filters all over the sump when first starting out and I've gradually removed them all. No point imho.

Yeah I have nothing on my pump, the filter floss is at the fuge intake and is to mostly collect extra food and macro algae bits, I change it when it gets really gross but I could probably do away with it entirely.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

revmoo posted:

Because I am much more used to freshwater, and the idea of not using filter media makes me all sweaty and nervous. Not saying you are wrong, just old habits dying hard. That, and the biocube gets loud without the bio balls unless you rig up some alternative.

Were I to remove them, is it better to do it incrementally or just yank them all out at once?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slugworth posted:

Because I am much more used to freshwater, and the idea of not using filter media makes me all sweaty and nervous. Not saying you are wrong, just old habits dying hard. That, and the biocube gets loud without the bio balls unless you rig up some alternative.

Were I to remove them, is it better to do it incrementally or just yank them all out at once?

Just yank em.

Also, if you run a biocube above the marked max water line, not only does nothing bad happen, but it gets quiet!

:v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Slugworth posted:

Live rock is incredibly good filter media :)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Been a while since I posted in here, oy.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What's the last one? Looks like a green Kenya Tree

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Essentially, yes. It's the "Palau" green Nepthea.

Bonus: office tank, whites out

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Decided to test Nitrates with my Salifert test on the local Walmart water machine I've been using for water changes for forever. 50ppm. Our tap water is 2ppm.

This seem like a decent RO/DI system? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-6-stage-universal-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

I use the BRS 4-stage system (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd-1.html) and love it. I don't know that you'll be getting much value out of the extra filtration provided by 6-stage, which seems like it is mostly for reducing high levels of chloramine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I ended up ordering the 6-stage plus system 150gpd :)

Rather go overkill and get a cadillac model in this case as I want something that will last me a long time and give me perfect water. I figure for an extra hundred bucks it's worth the peace of mind. My area does use chloramine as well but I'm not sure how high the levels are.

I'm going to install it in my basement and I think I'm going to try and rig up a water-change-in-place system to pump salt water upstairs. I did my first water change with a pump and Brute over the weekend and I loved how easy it was to move 30 gallons without lifting anything. This gets me a little closer to my eventual basement sump dream as well.

• Locked thread