Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It's probably different now, but prior to Powerplay (Which was the last time I paid any attention to faction rank) I would get my faction rep up to green with bounties and then run a non-combat mission for them. Then the rank mission would pop up by the time I was back. I took empire from nothing to whatever was required for the small empire faction ship (not the eagle) in a single night like that.

Started on Federation but lost interest in favor of trying to chase down pvp with other goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How many charity missions does it roughly take to get access to Sol? I handed in my Cobra for a Space Van to start exploring, wanna begin my crazy trip there.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=185551

Good update for anyone interested in trying CQC, it seems like matchmaking has been fixed.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=185551

Good update for anyone interested in trying CQC, it seems like matchmaking has been fixed.

I've heard that before, but I hope it truly is. CQC is great loving fun.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

timn posted:

Calling bullshit on the bounty vouchers. I turned in tens of millions of credits worth in bounty vouchers and never saw a single rank ascension mission until I tried my hand at grinding charity missions.

I've gotten naval ascension ranks for the Empire by bounty hunting when I was making cash money.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I've cashed in over 100 million in bounty vouchers in empire space, I'm considered an "ally" by empire systems, and yet no rank, no missions to even start on the path. poo poo seems broke.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I've cashed in over 100 million in bounty vouchers in empire space, I'm considered an "ally" by empire systems, and yet no rank, no missions to even start on the path. poo poo seems broke.

Well it IS :frontear: we're talking about, it's entirely possible this changed several patches ago and they neglected to notice it. It's also probably broken, maybe you've turned in a lot of bounties to broken factions but since everything is obfuscated you have no way of knowing you're not really getting Empire credit. The general advice I saw before was that if the faction didn't seem to be offering you any ascension missions after a while to pick a new system and poke at that one. Also I was advised to move to a new system as soon as you got your rank, partially on the speculation that advancing a minor faction from neutral to friendly or whatever was worth more points toward ascension missions than just grinding the same amount of missions with a faction that already liked you. Doing that crap got me into a Clipper in a weekend or so, but that was before 1.3.

But you see by not giving you any information about their actually quite simple game it feels way deeper and more immersive! :pseudo:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

poo poo seems broke.

Of this I have no doubt.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!
I was 1 click away from ordering an Saitek x52 despite all the warnings about the crappy build quality because it seemed like the most affordable HOTAS setup. Then I took one last look at the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X and read the features list and saw that the throttle is detachable so I'm getting the Thrustmaster instead.

They should really show pictures on the product pages with that throttle detached because i'm sure they've lost sales because of idiots like me who don't research enough.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I really like the x52 pro. Bought it used on eBay for a decent price and it's held up great. Anecdote isn't the plural of data and all that, however. I have done the magnet mod and will probably tinker with the spring. Some 5-10 year olds came over and were pretty rough with it while doing the training missions and it held up reasonably well through their onslaught.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've been happy without my x52 pro as well so far. Only issue I've run into is that weird stuff seems to happen if I unplug it while my computer is turned on. Did the throttle indent-removal thing because gently caress having that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

Calling bullshit on the bounty vouchers. I turned in tens of millions of credits worth in bounty vouchers and never saw a single rank ascension mission until I tried my hand at grinding charity missions.

I have to call bullshit, too. The Feds threw several rank missions at me for doing literally nothing for them. And my advance through empire-ranks was by using solely non-combat missions. Sure, it was a bit wonky sometimes -either I got nothing for days or got flooded with rank missions, but it was still rather fast overall.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Hey, are there any exploration-related events happening at the moment? I'll be returning from a multi-month exploration trip to the core and back, and I'm going to have a poo poo ton of explore data to sell.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zaardvark posted:

Hey, are there any exploration-related events happening at the moment? I'll be returning from a multi-month exploration trip to the core and back, and I'm going to have a poo poo ton of explore data to sell.
You can keep up with the current community goals in this Frontier forums thread. No exploration goals currently, but if you're getting back next week, they'll change.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Parallelwoody posted:

I really like the x52 pro. Bought it used on eBay for a decent price and it's held up great. Anecdote isn't the plural of data and all that, however. I have done the magnet mod and will probably tinker with the spring. Some 5-10 year olds came over and were pretty rough with it while doing the training missions and it held up reasonably well through their onslaught.

I don't have any great love for the x52, as I really hate the joystick part, but theres something to be said for it being basically the exact model of the in-game joystick. There are times while wearing a rift where I almost really want one just for ~my immersion~.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't have any great love for the x52, as I really hate the joystick part, but theres something to be said for it being basically the exact model of the in-game joystick. There are times while wearing a rift where I almost really want one just for ~my immersion~.

It'd be awesome if there were multiple versions of the ingame throttle and stick that matched the most popular current HOTAS setups. It's such a minor thing too, but :frontear:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Siets posted:

Sometimes when interdicting, the targeting UI freaks out and stutters between two positions super fast and I end up failing the interdiction shortly thereafter. Is this a bug? Anyone else run into this?

Happens to me sometimes, yeah.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
There are two main reasons that were observed to cause that: the abovementioned lag/desynch is one and the other is initiating the interdiction near an asteroid belt or other such objects that will mess with the tether.
Of course it's probable that there are other reasons for that to glitch out as well that we don't know about yet. :v:

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I'm back from my round-trip to the core. It took about two months, and I did a lot of detailed surface scanning en route. In total, I submitted about 1900 system scans, paying particular attention to the usual rare planets (terrestrial, Earth-like, Type IV gas giants, etc.). They were collectively worth 44 million credits. Stupidly, it took over an hour to sell all 95 pages of exploration data, page by page (man, that interface could use some work). I considered waiting for an exploration CG to sell it all, but it's Friday, and I don't want to wait until next Thursday on the slim chance of an exploration CG. Unsurprisingly, my paintwork (default Explorer yellow) and ship integrity were both 0% upon my return. There was absolutely no visual effect I could see.

Here's a small album of screencaps: http://imgur.com/a/4J1OL

And a few highlights:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
MULTICREW

MULTICREW

MULTICREW

E:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Em7TLwFifE

E:BOBBLEHEADS

PILOT FACES

FIGHTER LAUNCHING

COMBAT AUTOPILOT

AAAAAAAAAA

(I'll try and put a summary together once the vod is up.)

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 25, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Really!? That's a bit out of left field, didn't expect them to even discuss that until much later on.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Bobbleheads are back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwNOuEVMobs

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Oww. My sides. Ok god, fine I'll pre-order. Jeez.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndroidHub posted:

MULTICREW

MULTICREW

MULTICREW

PILOT FACES

FIGHTER LAUNCHING

COMBAT AUTOPILOT

AAAAAAAAAA

Holy poo poo. Gg frontier

Here's the whole thing in text https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/300

frank.club fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 25, 2015

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Faces! yay!

stolen from reddit: (avatar editor)

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

radintorov posted:

There are two main reasons that were observed to cause that: the abovementioned lag/desynch is one and the other is initiating the interdiction near an asteroid belt or other such objects that will mess with the tether.
Of course it's probable that there are other reasons for that to glitch out as well that we don't know about yet. :v:

There is another reason that I've observed. Sometimes the interdictor is going so fast, they fly past the ship being dicted. This causes a similar spazz out in the favour of the interdictee.

Also, is everyone bald in the future? that's literally a pic of CMDR Bald People In A Box(ed shaped pic)

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 25, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
That video also mentions a crafting system, and the Devs talk about using rare components to craft differently coloured lasers and weapons with stat variances, and also some crafting components being 'rare'. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Tentatively good? All of the above stuff (faces, multicrew, crafting) is still scheduled for 'Holiday 2015', apparently.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Bloody Wanker posted:

Faces! yay!

stolen from reddit: (avatar editor)

For some reason i absolutely cannot put my finger on, no matter the ethnicity here, they all look absolutely british.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's the round head.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zaardvark posted:

That video also mentions a crafting system, and the Devs talk about using rare components to craft differently coloured lasers and weapons with stat variances, and also some crafting components being 'rare'. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Tentatively good? All of the above stuff (faces, multicrew, crafting) is still scheduled for 'Holiday 2015', apparently.

Nice, especially crafting and multicrew - even though I have doubts, the one thing that stops this game actually being fun with other people is that you have to actually spend half an hour flying to where said people are.

If to join a multicrew session you have to jump across the galaxy, it's not fun. Just as it's not fun to have to fly 200 LY to change ships. I understand *my immersion* and all that, but if I have one hour to play I'm not spending more than half of it jumping ...

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

AndroidHub posted:

MULTICREW

MULTICREW

MULTICREW

PILOT FACES

FIGHTER LAUNCHING

COMBAT AUTOPILOT

AAAAAAAAAA

Holy gently caress

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I guess I shouldn't really complain, since paint jobs should've prepared me for this, but bobbleheads at 5 quid a pop is... kinda sad for a feature they cut out of beta.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play
My guess (or at least hope) is that the 5 quids will only be for special bobbleheads, like the limited edition Braben. Otherwise it'd be kinda sad, like you said.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

How much was the season pass again?

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
That update has basically given me hope for the future of this game - it sucks to see features from the original DDA like player carriers for starfighters stuck behind what is presumably going to be a paywall (unless it's coming with Ships), but everything else seems good - a character creator and multicrew seem like the first steps towards 'spacelegs', which is the thing I want the most in this game.

As Star Citizen looks to be collapsing, I need this more than ever.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
M-M-M-M-MULTICREW

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Truga posted:

It's the round head.

That's a cavalier thing to say.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

RubberJohnny posted:

That update has basically given me hope for the future of this game - it sucks to see features from the original DDA like player carriers for starfighters stuck behind what is presumably going to be a paywall (unless it's coming with Ships), but everything else seems good - a character creator and multicrew seem like the first steps towards 'spacelegs', which is the thing I want the most in this game.

As Star Citizen looks to be collapsing, I need this more than ever.

Star Citizen was never not collapsing. The entire thing was a scam. 5 years from now people will finally allow themselves to admit it.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It's better for dumb stuff like bobbleheads and paintjobs to be pricey, and not have anything that effects gameplay for sale than some other, worse models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I'm loving hype for multi-crew and carrier boating

These will both be the last things they release in season 2 won't it

• Locked thread