Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

So, I'm having a really fun bug where the names of my districts are missing, and i cannot change their specialization. Has anybody heard of this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

This expansion is pretty rad so far. However, I am a little disappointed Leisure has turned out some janky rear end style that doesn't match my quaint European village at all. Is there really no way to zone for Heavy Leisure?

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Do I need to shut down my mods or something to get an old city to load? Seems to be stuck at 99.9% like forever.

Edit: If anyone else has the problem, I have no idea what it does but this Hotfix Mod fixes the problem: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=523984743

gman14msu fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 25, 2015

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Plugged in the addon and off to the races already with no issues. Viva Colossal Order, viva Paradox Interactive!

The four lane roads' street lights are almost too orange though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The addition of atmospheric fog to tropical maps is really weirding me out. Apparently the daylight lighting is much more washed out, as well, and it's making people on the official forums rage out. Good times.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
You guys are lucky. I updated last night and when I ran it I couldn't see any text, just the main menu background picture appeared.

I left it to verify the game files overnight and this morning I can see text/the main menu. I re-enabled add-ons and tried to load my city (not holding out much hope of it starting with the amount of mods I had enabled), it was loading for about 15 minutes before I had to leave for work. As far as I know it's still loading now, 3 hours later.

I'll probably have to start a new city without any mods enabled.

How is it so far? is there a clear difference between the traffic at night and day?

That was the main problem with Cities in Motion 2. It was supposed to have rush hours and a traffic cycle but traffic tended to build up so badly (and journeys take so long) that it all merged in to a 24/7 traffic jam with barely any variation.

MonoAus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 25, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The addition of atmospheric fog to tropical maps is really weirding me out. Apparently the daylight lighting is much more washed out, as well, and it's making people on the official forums rage out. Good times.

Honestly, they should just have an interface where you can twiddle every aspect of the light settings and fog and stuff. Throw in a colour customisation interface too, let people make their own environment feels.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Is there a way to build a spooky swamp village or something?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It really does seem that CO can't really do anything without upsetting someone.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

MonoAus posted:

It really does seem that CO can't really do anything without upsetting someone.

I bet if you ask them nicely they'll at least consider. Or just tell modders how to do it quick and easy.

Edit: The "International" airport is better than the stock one but I'd still like something bigger. Maybe the next expansion can add shipyards and airports as sort of a mini-city thing? You square off a plot of land and within that have to figure out pier configs, runways, in/out flow, etc. Or you can just plop a premade and call it a day.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 25, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Artificer posted:

Is there a way to build a spooky swamp village or something?

It'd be sweet if at city creation, the game had some prompt from which to choose your goal with the city. So if you so wanted, you could make Slum-gently caress Hellhole, and the AI would understand the lack of water and deal with it. And the disease etc outbreaks.

It'd take a whole new system though probably to just tell the AI to outright ignore some stuff. Then new buildings etc :(

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

I bet if you ask them nicely they'll at least consider. Or just tell modders how to do it quick and easy.

Edit: The "International" airport is better than the stock one but I'd still like something bigger. Maybe the next expansion can add shipyards and airports as sort of a mini-city thing? You square off a plot of land and within that have to figure out pier configs, runways, in/out flow, etc. Or you can just plop a premade and call it a day.

Wrt airports: there's a mod for that.

e: come think of it, supposedly the airport roads functionality was already there in the base game code, so they've been messing around with it during development at least.

e2: by the by, I've come a long way with my first building asset and am now in the process of touching up, figuring out normals and illum, fixing the last few broken pieces, etc.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 25, 2015

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Man Musk posted:

This expansion is pretty rad so far. However, I am a little disappointed Leisure has turned out some janky rear end style that doesn't match my quaint European village at all. Is there really no way to zone for Heavy Leisure?

Just came to ask what style the leisure buildings where. I'm assuming they're international?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I haven't really played with the new economic options aside from tell a small waterfront strip to party hard. Seeing your city at night from on high is way cooler than I thought it would be.

Wasn't Maxis promising us this sort of stuff and walking around the city just prior to Simcity 3000 before they backed off? I only point it out because it took 15+ years but here we are finally.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So taxis are a thing now. I was playing around with them, they have a really low cost, $160/wk but you need about three taxi depots per 20,000 residents it seems. I figured it would be closer to 1 per 30,000. Once I hit 4 taxi depots utilization dropped from 25/25 to about 18/25 each.

Oh poo poo it's 4am and I have to work in the morning gently caress :psypop:

edit here have a screenshot

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=520180243

Here's a pretty convenient list of mod authors who have begun/finished adding illumination and lights to their assets.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

MonoAus posted:

It really does seem that COany game developer can't really do anything without upsetting someone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dandywalken posted:

It'd be sweet if at city creation, the game had some prompt from which to choose your goal with the city. So if you so wanted, you could make Slum-gently caress Hellhole, and the AI would understand the lack of water and deal with it. And the disease etc outbreaks.

It'd take a whole new system though probably to just tell the AI to outright ignore some stuff. Then new buildings etc :(

One of the things this game doesn't do that SimCity 4 does is, you really can't make a dystopian hellhole slum in C:S, because the game is designed such that the biggest buildings are the highest value buildings. SimCity 4 would give you huge tenements or projects if you zoned high density residential in a low value area. C:S pretty much just gives you smallish buildings that never level up and just sit there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

Wasn't Maxis promising us this sort of stuff and walking around the city just prior to Simcity 3000 before they backed off? I only point it out because it took 15+ years but here we are finally.

Yeah, Maxis was planning to make a fully 3D Simcity 3000, it was way overambitious and the developers knew it but the board was all THREE DEE IS THE FUTURE. They basically had to dump the entire game and build an upgraded SimCity 2000 (thanks in part to EA taking over, no less, and EA looking at what they'd done and going '...what'.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's funny though, SimCity 3000 is my favorite game in the series. There are definitely things SimCity 4 does better, but SimCity 3000 was just so drat well designed, and the art and music fit into the game so well. It's just the most fun to play and strikes the right balance between being a simulation and a game, where IMO SimCity 4 is more sterile and takes itself a bit too seriously.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I loved the scale of SC4. Region play and traffic arrows and fine tuning street layout is crack to me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It surprises me that nobody's made a Cities XL to Skylines model converter and done a mass-convert of all of their buildings. I wonder how viable that'd be.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 25, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It surprises me that nobody's made a Cities XL to Skylines model converter and done a mass-convert of all of their buildings. I wonder how viable that'd be.

I wonder how long that'd stay on the workshop before it'd be taken down. Cities in Motion is at least made by the same company, but converting assets from a completely different game and company? That could maybe go poorly.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm in love with the new Bus Station with all the route spots, omg

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

So, I really need to find a good tutorial for bus routes - why would I need the new taxi/bus stands? I have bus routes that just go in circles nowhere near the initial bus depot, is this screwing up my traffic?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Fabulousity posted:

I haven't really played with the new economic options aside from tell a small waterfront strip to party hard. Seeing your city at night from on high is way cooler than I thought it would be.

If you bought Streets of SimCity or SimCopter, you could load any SC2K city into it and drive/fly around in it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's funny though, SimCity 3000 is my favorite game in the series. There are definitely things SimCity 4 does better, but SimCity 3000 was just so drat well designed, and the art and music fit into the game so well. It's just the most fun to play and strikes the right balance between being a simulation and a game, where IMO SimCity 4 is more sterile and takes itself a bit too seriously.

SC3K has my favorite Sim City soundtrack, and I love the art design for it, all the bright colors and stuff. I love the complexities of SC4, but I'd love it if GOG rereleased 3000.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Orgophlax posted:

If you bought Streets of SimCity or SimCopter, you could load any SC2K city into it and drive/fly around in it.

SimCopter was great. I really hope at some point they do create an official first person mode/driving mode for a skylines expansion. I'd pay $15 for that. Streets of Simcity Lite.

Clouseau posted:

SC3K has my favorite Sim City soundtrack, and I love the art design for it, all the bright colors and stuff. I love the complexities of SC4, but I'd love it if GOG rereleased 3000.

The soundtrack's spectacular. It used to be available for free download on the SC4 site, too, before they deleted that site to make way for the SimCity 2013 site.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The soundtrack's still pretty easy to find if you look around. I keep the C:S music turned off and play the SC3K music in winamp instead :dance:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

My favorite part of the new commercial districts: pools requiring/demanding college educated workers.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I actually dig the new music they have in C:S with that Vangelis synthesizer horn bit thrown in.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dandywalken posted:

Something like defining a "City culture" at the start of the game could make sense. Basically, you'd be able to select various traits for your citizens at the start of the game, which emphasized/deemphasized certain aspects of your city. Things like "Biking Enthusiasts" making your citizens more willing to use bikes, and of course demand infrastructure which supports that, or in the case of slums, a "Slum Dwellers" trait which made your citizens less likely to complain about lack of services at the cost of tax revenue and made low value high density more likely to grow tall despite low land value. (They would of course have to decouple land value and building size somewhat for this to work.)

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Yeah, game is great but until they make wealth and density separate attributes rather than just Level X, it will always be missing something for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm not sure what critical function taxis perform in after dark, but they are utilized - constantly. It really works more like uber but whatever.

MikeJF posted:

SimCopter was great. I really hope at some point they do create an official first person mode/driving mode for a skylines expansion. I'd pay $15 for that. Streets of Simcity Lite.

I haven't looked in to how the modders are digging in to the classes to change things but the way taxis work in this game, I'm fairly confident someone will mod crazy taxi into the game.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

EDIT: Nevermind

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
Did anyone notice the new policy for districts that seems to try and limit the education level of cims who live there? It the second to last one; above harsh prison terms.

Anyone tried that yet?

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

j5mello posted:

Did anyone notice the new policy for districts that seems to try and limit the education level of cims who live there? It the second to last one; above harsh prison terms.

Anyone tried that yet?

Trying it right now in an "all industrial, all exports, all the time" city - It's really cool. Keeps a large amount of undereducated workers for your logging and/or farming districts that require them. You still *want* education, just not as much. It can be a pain to keep up with having enough housing properly districted and scaling that up as you add more industry, though. But! it can be awesome. I have a large mixed industrial/residential area called "Farmville" that's half on fertile ground and half not. It's all districted to be both "low education" and "farming" - so the people there can usually walk to work!

I wish CiMs would just only educate themselves as much as the available jobs required, though.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Heh, one of the new achievements is a Top Gun reference.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vorkosigan posted:

So, I really need to find a good tutorial for bus routes - why would I need the new taxi/bus stands? I have bus routes that just go in circles nowhere near the initial bus depot, is this screwing up my traffic?

Yeah I'd be interested to see what you guys are doing - all my bus routes are interlocking circles. Also I wish the depot had a subway line connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah I'd be interested to see what you guys are doing - all my bus routes are interlocking circles. Also I wish the depot had a subway line connection.

I make local routes that go through a zone of homes/workplaces with the occasional "express" that just goes up/down a single bigger road with longer distances between stops. That way you get transportation in neighborhoods/districts and transportation between districts.

In other news, I think someone's a bit ahead of themselves:

:v:

Also dangerous bike gangs:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 25, 2015