Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

I kinda want to use one for a coffee cup, just for the looks I'll get.

The same kind of looks you get wearing a homburg to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Can't be any worse than the skinny jeans our resident hipster warehouse worker wears. Watching him contort to get to the lower shelves is entertaining.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh, worst production thing I ever did?

Ran a sql command on a mysql db with a bunch of joins and subqueries which I'm pretty sure locked the db up so no new records or updates could happen or crashed it. They noticed because of a bunch of payment info or something got dropped (or maybe it never made it into the db). The place was a company that sold snake oil and their poo poo was not setup right, so I don't feel too bad.

I learned that day that just because a DB can to calculations and stuff, it doesn't mean you should. Offload that poo poo to some code to handle iterations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Why do people ask for your current salary? Like... for what? Is it bad form to say "I'd rather not disclose that."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KoRMaK posted:

Why do people ask for your current salary? Like... for what? Is it bad form to say "I'd rather not disclose that."
So they know how much to pay you. Instead of declining to answer, just lie to them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

anthonypants posted:

So they know how much to pay you. Instead of declining to answer, just lie to them.

This.

A popular tactic is to add all of your benefits into that monetary figure.

So if you make 60k a year, but get paid vacation, health insurance, free meals, whatever, then just throw that all together and say you make $80k or something.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

This.

A popular tactic is to add all of your benefits into that monetary figure.

So if you make 60k a year, but get paid vacation, health insurance, free meals, whatever, then just throw that all together and say you make $80k or something.

Yeapp

quote:

it just for our records, if you’re asking for $$$ I would need as much information possible to justify a jump in salary if that was the case. This information isn’t going to be made public, just for our negotiation with <hiring company>.

Like, duh dude, I don't want you to know that. I want to negotiate on the median for the position, not from the view point of my current position. "Whats it worth to you" favors the hiring party.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

larchesdanrew posted:

"My computer is really slow and Premiere crashes when I try to open it. "

Well let's see wh-... 85% of your C:\ drive is taken up by folders on your desktop. Your media cache folder has 160k items in it and is using up another 18% of your drive.

I think I found your problem.

Ignoring my horrible math, I've been plugging away at this PC since yesterday.

It's an iBuyPower gaming computer from 2012 that is being used as an editor (fun fact, ALL of our editing computers are iBuyPower gamers!) and has gone through five different users with no maintenance done to it, ever.

The system drive is 53% fragmented and throwing out chkdsk errors like crazy, the RAID0 scratch disk is failing SMART checks, the motherboard is randomly cutting the USB ports on and off, the PSU has a concerning aroma about it, but still seems to be holding, half of the fans no longer spin, and all of the components are not surprisingly outdated, and as an added bonus it corrupts about a third of all projects when rendered.

My professional opinion: poo poo's hosed, we should invest in a new editor.

The department head and GM are on board, I want to just build it from scratch, it's all cool just get them a quote and get it done.

I'm pricing parts when supervisor pops in to ask what I'm doing. I tell him flat out that the computer is hobbling and is basically a ticking time bomb that isn't worth fixing at this point and I was tasked with pricing and constructing a replacement. He just says "No" and walks off.

I keep pricing parts, because they'll cart in another iBuyPower over my dead rotting carcass.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just buy a Dell Precision / HP something / whatever's on Avid's HCL.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

Have they finally updated their PC list? When I was doing my ACSR last year their supported PC list was horrendously outdated.

Also he's using Premiere so he can build it himself without any issue as long as he puts a ton of RAM in it. Because Adobe products love hogging RAM :smith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Thanks Ants posted:

pr0digal posted:

Have they finally updated their PC list? When I was doing my ACSR last year their supported PC list was horrendously outdated.

Also he's using Premiere so he can build it himself without any issue as long as he puts a ton of RAM in it. Because Adobe products love hogging RAM :smith:

They want to keep it ~<$1200, so a lot of prebuilts are out of the question. They just do Premiere and a little After Effects/Photoshop, and the position has been fine with a single GTX 540.

I figure an i7, a 750, and 16GB of RAM will be just fine to cut video. I'm just mostly excited about investing in a case with actual dust filters instead of these lovely mesh cages we have everywhere.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

They want to keep it ~<$1200, so a lot of prebuilts are out of the question. They just do Premiere and a little After Effects/Photoshop, and the position has been fine with a single GTX 540.

I figure an i7, a 750, and 16GB of RAM will be just fine to cut video. I'm just mostly excited about investing in a case with actual dust filters instead of these lovely mesh cages we have everywhere.

I can scratch build computers too, but it's still a waste of my time. Whole computer warranty means I don't have to play "Hunt the hosed up part" when it shits the bed. I can just call their tech to figure it out.

Factor in a few hours of you wasting your time putting this poo poo together in your overall costs. Also factor in two years from now the entire day you spend trying to figure out if it's the motherboard, the cpu the power or the RAM that's loving up and stopping it from posting.

What I'm saying is: Most professionals don't build for a very good reason. All the money you save on components vs prebuilt is lost in building/troubleshooting when it does go bad via your salary. And if you want to bump the costs you absolutely should be adding your salary + benefits into the total cost for the solution.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KoRMaK posted:

it just for our records, if you’re asking for $$$ I would need as much information possible to justify a jump in salary if that was the case. This information isn’t going to be made public, just for our negotiation with <hiring company>.

Tell them "Oh, in that case, my salary is the exact $$$ where you won't need to justify a jump in salary. Thanks!"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Tell them "Oh, in that case, my salary is the exact $$$ where you won't need to justify a jump in salary. Thanks!"

It's so loving dumb. I'm not asking you for a raise, there's no need to justify anything off of previous numbers.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

larchesdanrew posted:

I just bought a bunch of i5s with 8GB for $700 from HP. I have no doubt that you can find prebuilts with your spec for your price.

e: My posting station is a quadcore xeon with 16GB ram, 250GB SSD, and a 1TB 7200, and I think it came in around $1200 when I ordered it a year or two ago. Z-series workstation from HP.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 25, 2015

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I signed an NDA in relation to my salary when I was hired is all you need to say. They can't verify that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The only NDA I should be getting is to not disclose how goddamn stupid most of my bosses have been.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Can't be any worse than the skinny jeans our resident hipster warehouse worker wears. Watching him contort to get to the lower shelves is entertaining.

You know it's not cricket to keep checking out your co-worker's :goatsecx: while they're working.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

I can't work in jeans without castrating myself, never mind skinny jeans.

Cheap plastic formal pants in a slightly larger size w/belt ftw. Loosen belt if you're feeling poo poo.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We got a catered lunch yesterday. Soul food. Very good soul food.

Jerk chicken, chicken wings, mac & cheese, dirty rice, cornbread, corn, collards, potato salad, ribs, fried calamari.

Today is Read Only Friday.

They got me business cards. They just came in today.

This is too poddy, something's gotta give

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Better quit while you're ahead, that way you'll remember all the good things.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Migishu posted:

Better quit while you're ahead, that way you'll remember all the good things.

"Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about your job..."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Larchesanddew, your stories are great and the fact you can maintain a sense of humour in the face of a chief engineer that desperately needs a punch in the face is incredible. Get out of there dude, you deserve a better job.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MJP posted:

We got a catered lunch yesterday. Soul food. Very good soul food.

Jerk chicken, chicken wings, mac & cheese, dirty rice, cornbread, corn, collards, potato salad, ribs, fried calamari.

Today is Read Only Friday.

They got me business cards. They just came in today.

This is too poddy, something's gotta give

Monday's your day in the barrel.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Larchesanddew, your stories are great and the fact you can maintain a sense of humour in the face of a chief engineer that desperately needs a punch in the face is incredible. Get out of there dude, you deserve a better job.

I said some poo poo to supervisor that will either end in me getting fired, or jazzing me up enough to just sever this whole loving state. There's jobs everywhere I'm qualified for. I'm having a long talk with the wife tonight about fleeing this place.

I may be :yotj: soon.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

I said some poo poo to supervisor that will either end in me getting fired, or jazzing me up enough to just sever this whole loving state. There's jobs everywhere I'm qualified for. I'm having a long talk with the wife tonight about fleeing this place.

Was this already in a previous post? If not :justpost:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Careful with getting fired, without a reference from a manager it can be hard to get a job sometimes. When leaving my previous (first) job I kept telling people no I still work there you cannot contact my hiring manager unless its the last part and would not hear anything back from them. She also had a policy of just hanging up if anyone called related to a reference in the first place, which screwed a coworker over that quit due to being stressed out there.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

pixaal posted:

Careful with getting fired, without a reference from a manager it can be hard to get a job sometimes. When leaving my previous (first) job I kept telling people no I still work there you cannot contact my hiring manager unless its the last part and would not hear anything back from them. She also had a policy of just hanging up if anyone called related to a reference in the first place, which screwed a coworker over that quit due to being stressed out there.

Meh, I spoke my mind, I didn't say anything exactly out of line, but called him out. I'm not ready to poo poo on his desk just yet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Meh, I spoke my mind, I didn't say anything exactly out of line, but called him out. I'm not ready to poo poo on his desk just yet.

Don't leave us hanging man!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Please don't build your own compute for work.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

What are the odds the CE buys all the cheap crap because he's listing everything as more expensive than it is, and pocketing the difference?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I basically went full "No, you shut up dad" at him.

Since I'm not allowed to to access the admin control panel for our email, it's up to supervisor to set up emails, change passwords, and add people to mailing lists. We've had about 8 tickets regarding email issues sitting in the queue for almost two months. I'm starting to get pissy emails from the GM and department heads about it, and no matter how many times I tell them it's supervisor's responsibility, they still come to me for it.

I approached him this morning about it. Please note that I was out all night blasting rear end at bar trivia, like a responsible adult, and only got an hour of sleep last night, so I'm pissy, hungover, and tired.

:mad: So, have you done anything with all the email related tickets assigned to you?
:downs: What email tickets?
:mad: The ones that get emailed to you whenever they come in, then emailed to you again when I assign them, then emailed again when comments are made.
:downs: Oh, I guess I haven't seen those.
:mad: It's been over two months, we have three departments asking for people to be added to email lists, and two users who need password resets.
:downs: Who does?
:mad: It's in the tickets, dude.
:downs: Yeah, but who needs it done?
:mad: Can I just do it? Can you please just let me have access to the admin panel so I can get this over with?
:downs: I can do it just as easily as you. You don't need to worry about it.
:mad: I most certainly do need to worry about it! You've been sitting on this poo poo for two months now! It's not getting done and it's making me look like I do a lovely job! I don't know what your deal is with not allowing me to administrate emails. Is it because you don't trust me? Is it because you don't think I'm competent enough to handle it? Are you threatened? I'm more than loving competent, I'm pretty damned good at what I do, and it's really loving insulting that you treat me like a ladder holder and tool getter while I'm kept in the dark and then get blamed for nothing getting accomplished around here. So either some things are gonna change with you and how you treat me, or I'm going to take it upon myself to make some changes around here, either one's fine with me. Close the damned tickets."

Then I went to lunch.

It needed to be done. Maybe not like that, but I finally snapped.

He hasn't talked to me since.

:shrug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Please don't build your own compute for work.

It's okay as long as it looks like this.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I approached him this morning about it. Please note that I was out all night blasting rear end at bar trivia, like a responsible adult, and only got an hour of sleep last night, so I'm pissy, hungover, and tired.
Lol don't you have kids and a wife?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Lol don't you have kids and a wife?

Yeah heaven forbid I go out one night a month and try to relieve some stress. What a horrible person I am :jerkbag:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Bar trivia night is pretty low on the scale of irresponsible parent behavior.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Bar trivia night is pretty low on the scale of irresponsible parent behavior.

larchesdanrew is pretty far away from the e/n goon who wouldn't feed his kid because he was too busy playing APB

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Segmentation Fault posted:

larchesdanrew is pretty far away from the e/n goon who wouldn't feed his kid because he was too busy playing APB

Is that the same one with the kid who woke up on a saturday, got ready for school, and walked out the door while her parents were asleep at the crack of noon

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The guy that lived in literal piles of garbage with soft spots in the floor of their trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Yeah, but eventually CPS took his kids so he cleaned his poo poo up, got his kids back, and is now considered a somethingawful "success story" iirc.

• Locked thread