Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sweet, looks like I get to change my timing chain tensioner on the Mini. I thought I heard the faint sound of something, but today it moved into sounding like a diesel on the way to work. Since it's my dd 70 miles a day, I had to overnight the part so I can fix it tomorrow after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Another day, another terrible repair. Fuel lines going to the fuel filter were rusty, and breaking one loose gave a nice pinhole leak in the lines. So I cut the fuckers off and made new lines. What a pain in the rear end.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I installed a snake into my bus

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Larrymer posted:

Another day, another terrible repair. Fuel lines going to the fuel filter were rusty, and breaking one loose gave a nice pinhole leak in the lines. So I cut the fuckers off and made new lines. What a pain in the rear end.

Fixed the fuel lines which were leaking (patch pieces use compression fittings on one end, not a big fan of the additional failure points...) and got the truck running. Somehow in the process of taking off the bed and replacing the fuel pump the ground for the pump went to poo poo and I couldn't get it to start. I got out the test light and multimeter and confirmed the relay was working and then poked around until I noticed the ground wasn't actually ground. Snipped it and ran a wire to the frame and it started right up. Today I'll put the bed back on and it should look like a truck again.

I'm crossing my fingers that the stupid compression fittings will hold higher pressure than what I had only tested at idle in the driveway.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

I installed a snake into my bus

Any more photos of that bus? I gotta thing for matte black.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Installed an engine breather update and cleaned up the oil pan of the Saab 9-5. It came out quite easily after I loosened the gearbox mount and jacked it up an inch or so.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

scuz posted:

Any more photos of that bus? I gotta thing for matte black.

He's got a thread on it.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Measured it some more before the cutting starts. The planning is maybe the most fun part. Then there's laying down the $ for the parts, then waiting, then doing. The $ sucks, but the doing is fun, too.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I swapped out my ragged out headlights for some new ones.

Start

Mid

Almost finished

Ok now finished + gratuitous shot of wife's Bu.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 19, 2015

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I finally finished installing the new headers on the '82 911, which meant new oil lines (all of which had to be bent some to fit) and heat ducts and blah blah blah.

Pictures!
Old and busted:

New hotness:

mmm...stainless equal length primaries.

Video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWPfONFbnk

I was hoping for flames but no dice. This setup is actually quiet enough where I can drive around with it, unlike the straight bypass, and the headers make a solid 20hp over the old. I'm one satisfied guy.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 19, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Replaced the ON/OFF relay for the wipers and now they work all the time. WOOH 16$ fix is way better then a new motor or wiper switch. In my accord I'm just waiting on parts before firing up the engine. Somehow in the two years its been apart I lost the power steering belt and cant find what happened to the good air filter housing I grabbed from the junkyard. It is never a good idea to tear a car apart and not organize the poo poo that comes off it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Oh, what a fun day of more exciting van repair/maintenance..

It loves to keep giving me annoying noises, first it had belt squeal, so it got a new belt and tensioner. Then it had power steering groan, so it got a new pump. Then it got starter groan, so i pulled the starter and cleaned/greased the whole thing. Then it had an awful belt slapping noise. So today it got a new alternator clutch pulley as the old one had locked up. (To be fair, it's now on 192k.)

With the serpentine belt off, a couple guide rollers removed and the upper timing cover removed. Luckily with the viscous fan and shroud up the way there's lots of space to work in.

Nice new timing belt kit, waterpump and new bolts!

You need a special holding tool to remove the crank pulley on these, it's a big bastard thing that a 27mm socket fits inside to loosen/tighten the crank pulley bolt.

Pulley tools with banana standard 3/8" ratchet for scale:

Nice new belt and all that fitted:

Thrown back together:

Hoping this fucker quits giving me issues for a while, i need to save up.

Commander Puddin
Sep 30, 2007
So I've been working on this tasty beauty for the last week and this weekend. I've got a VERY spacious garage so it's been going pretty well:

I've been trying to get 1 of 3 bolts back into the transmission off and on for the better part of a week, and I finally got it. Here's a lovely video that shows a bolt NOT flying out of the transmission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsPsTGYiMtk

After that, it was on to why my brake booster doesn't appear to work. I did a highly scientific test where I stuck my finger on the vacuum line and it sucked, so I'm going to put a new brake booster in. Had a very difficult time trying to figure out if my truck needs a JB3 or a JB5 code brake booster. According to everything I've read its supposed to be listed on this sticker, but its not.

The difference between the two is a single or dual diaphragm booster, I'm opting for the single since I've still got rear drum brakes, and I figure any assist is better than what I've got now.

Picked up a new booster at Autozone for under a hundred bucks and spent about an hour dicking with the bolts on the old one:

Went to go put the brake pedal connecting shaft on the new booster and when I picked the thing up something was rattling around in there. I'm in way over my head with this truck but I'm pretty sure poo poo isn't supposed to rattle around in a brake booster. I've got Autozone shipping a new one out, it should be at the store tomorrow, at which point I'll put the new one on and probably find out my problem wasn't the brake booster at all. I also ordered some sweet coveralls from dickies.com because this poo poo is getting serious now.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Did some work on my landy for the first time in almost 12 months.

This weekend I got:

The coolant system mainly plumbed up
Crafted a pipe from the air filter to the intake (jubilee clips now on order)
Got the original throttle cable to fit and work
Most of the vacuum cables worked out.

Big jobs still to do:
Refit the LPG vaporiser properly (its off to the left of this picture where you cant see it), and fit the gas feed pipe from the vaporiser to the mixer plate (and somehow get it round a tight bend and with a stepper valve in the middle), and sort out the petrol lines.
Rewire it and get proper clips for the battery cable and fuel lines
Make a gear linkage that goes round the efi plenum.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Timing chain tensioner repaired.. Now to replace the snout bearings and pulley on the supercharger. Awwww.. The Mini now has hemisphagea.. :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

keykey posted:

Timing chain tensioner repaired.. Now to replace the snout bearings and pulley on the supercharger. Awwww.. The Mini now has hemisphagea.. :3:

Same process for changing the alternator :shepicide:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

New water pump in the Spider. What loving PITA!

Old pump

New pump (sorry for lovely pic)

So far, she's holds water nicely. Waiting on a new tach cable before a do a flush and refill with coolant.

Oh yes, the tach drive routes through the water pump. Somehow oil and coolant don't mix. Somehow. :iiam:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

keykey posted:

A pigeon native to New Zealand? :confused:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

On the Protegé: Installed a new radio and all four speakers. The factory stuff worked, but there was no USB/Aux inputs since it was an OEM radio from twelve years ago. The speakers in the rear deck were sounding pretty flappy so I figured I might as well replace everything. Sounds much better now, and I can use my iPhone to play music instead of just listening to the radio.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Same process for changing the alternator :shepicide:

Yup, had to remove that before removing the supercharger. :shepicide:

Krakkles posted:

A pigeon native to New Zealand? :confused:

The condition of the face noticeably drooping on one side after a stroke. On a side note.. This happened yesterday:

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 22, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I do not envy you. And I'm dealing with Ford transmission problems.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

keykey posted:

Yup, had to remove that before removing the supercharger. :shepicide:

The condition of the face noticeably drooping on one side after a stroke. On a side note.. This happened yesterday:

While you have it apart like that you should check the oil for the water pump gears in the back of the SC, and probably just replace the waterpump all together unless you have done it recently. There is a big checklist of "while you have it apart" for that service, since it's such a pain in the dick

Also if you don't have a reduction pulley on the SC for more boostu you should do that too :getin:

e: check your crank pulley and make sure it isn't falling apart too

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 22, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

keykey posted:

Hemiplegia or  hemifacial paresis or just facial palsy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Today - new Conti ExtremeContact DW all around. I went slightly wider to 235.
Sunday - Changed the oil on the G37 for the first time - super easy.
This weekend - clay bar and wax time!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Nodoze posted:

While you have it apart like that you should check the oil for the water pump gears in the back of the SC, and probably just replace the waterpump all together unless you have done it recently. There is a big checklist of "while you have it apart" for that service, since it's such a pain in the dick

Also if you don't have a reduction pulley on the SC for more boostu you should do that too :getin:

e: check your crank pulley and make sure it isn't falling apart too

Yeah, what prompted me to take the supercharger off and apart was the pulley shredded the drive belt because it was offset.. I already took the whole thing apart and the only thing bad is some grinding noise in the nosecone, I just ordered a re-manufactured nose cone since the parts + machine shop time for the job would have been $20 less than just ordering a reman'd unit, not to mention I don't know the state of the drive shaft if the pulley is wobbly. I took the rear off for the dreaded water pump gears and those look brand new. I went with a stock pulley instead of the reduction since the engine has 150k on it and it's my dd. On a side note, what should be used inside the supercharger to clean it? I don't want to screw anything up inadvertently.

Also:

Geirskogul posted:

Hemiplegia or  hemifacial paresis or just facial palsy.

That poo poo right there, I'm not good at medical terms since it isn't my field, I just hear things my wife says and usually screw it up. :haw:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Not today but last week I had the entire exhaust replaced. Sounds quiet but has a sound, looks good and is diverting exhaust away from my cab which is the best part.

I also noticed that my steering wheel is now centered after replacing my shot springs and bushings, which was a nice side effect.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Not today per say, but my Subie got a new alternator, drive belts, tensioner pulley, and knock sensor. Gates and Bosch, except for the alt which I cheaped out on. Nice new made in China Remy for $116.

Seems to work OK.

The battery is on loan from my Corvair, it got me home from the grocery store parking lot the car stranded me in.

And I made up a wiring board for mah Corvair. The engine harness is a huge L, I am adding a relay panel and all sorts of electrical refinements. I talked about it earlier, but it's finally happening.

Also pictured: Wiring juice (Booze), Bee housing, and RX-7 intake wearing sunglasses. Life is good.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 25, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You know how I've always tried to see how long the stock battery would last?

123 months, if you go by the date the car was manufactured.

$130 later.... :shepicide:

The guy at the parts counter wanted my old battery the hell out of the store - it started getting really hot and reeking of rotten eggs while just sitting on the counter, so it's sitting in the alley behind their store until it discharges itself.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
123 months is longer than most stock cars last, holy gently caress on toast.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:confused: I see tons of cars much older than that on the road here every day.

I'm impressed with how long the battery lasted though. Almost 122k miles, over 10 years. Though it was just a bit swollen, and looks like it may have been starting to leak :ohdear:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

some texas redneck posted:

:confused: I see tons of cars much older than that on the road here every day.

I'm impressed with how long the battery lasted though. Almost 122k miles, over 10 years. Though it was just a bit swollen, and looks like it may have been starting to leak :ohdear:

Thank god. Every time I read about this battery all I could think was "why wait until you need a replacement? Just buy a drat battery when it's convenient and avoid being stranded or late to work."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

"why wait until you need a replacement? Just buy a drat battery when it's convenient and avoid being stranded or late to work."

I did this for the first time in my life with my CR-V when it started cranking a bit slow. :feelsgood: That's also the first time a battery has given me any real warning, though. They usually just fall off a loving cliff here in AZ - perfectly fine one day, nothing the next.

As a bonus, I got it from Costco so I should have no problem getting it replaced under warranty without waiting for it to fail to start. Autozone/CSK have always made it a loving nightmare to replace an in-warranty battery unless it is dead as a loving doornail, and I only recently found a Firestone that actually understands the old "Firestone Forever" warranty for my C10.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
My GTP has been shifting weird lately. Didnt want to kick down or up sometimes. I was worried that I'd have to finally ditch it or drop another tranny into it. Figured it couldn't hurt to drain it and change the filter. I wasn't expecting much but holy God it brought the old girl back. She glides through the gears like new again. I really love my car so I'm very glad everything is right again. This is truly a joyous day. Maybe it's cause the pope is in town. I'll go Catholic in a second if it means easy fixes to potentially disastrous poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

Thank god. Every time I read about this battery all I could think was "why wait until you need a replacement? Just buy a drat battery when it's convenient and avoid being stranded or late to work."

More because $130 is a lot of coin when you're living tip to tip and check to check. :sigh: I had a lot of extra hours on this check, so I was already giving thought to replacing it.

Thankfully my boss keeps a jump pack with him, so I was only stuck about 15 minutes. He let me keep the jump pack with me while I ran a couple more deliveries, and once we were caught up, he told me to keep the jump pack on me and go straight to wherever I thought I could get a good battery. I trust Napa a hell of a lot more than AutoZone, more because they're much easier to deal with (and locally owned by a couple of crusty old fucks who know their poo poo, instead of some big company), but it meant a 30 minute drive each way instead of 10. It also meant a taco run, since a good taco place is next door to that particular Napa.

What's weird is I was on a hill, so I tried bump starting it. It fired right up, then died as soon as I touched the throttle + the security light started flashing. Every.single.time (tried 3 times). At least I managed to coast it into the HOA's visitor parking (where I received several angry glares for having the hood open and standing outside of the car holding jumper cables... nice friendly people).

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Today was a bonanza. Found Mick Foley in the neighbors post yard sale trash.

Now he rides with me into Valhalla.

Grumbletron 4000 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 27, 2015

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

some texas redneck posted:

More because $130 is a lot of coin when you're living tip to tip and check to check. :sigh: I had a lot of extra hours on this check, so I was already giving thought to replacing it.

I get that and I've been there. It's just that things could be worse and you've known about it for ever. $5 a week gets you a new battery in 6 months and avoids spending goodwill from your place of employment. It sounds like you made it through this alright and you're fine in the long run, and you don't need a lecture so just be you. If you still have that car get a new battery on its 9th anniversary.

My last dead battery was not even the battery but corrosion, the one before that was jumped in my wife's car at 3am after I had already gone home ( I was yelled at by a cyclist for parking in his lane but gently caress him hard), and before that was like 5 years before then and as an underpaid intern and that suuuuucked. I was blindsided with enough money to take care of it but I had to get creative for the rest of the month. I don't really want any of those situations again, when my wife's car hits 5 it'll just get a new one I think. Maybe 6 years. gently caress it a battery isn't even fun car work so I'll have them replace it for me at Autozone or Napa or wherever, or I'll just slap it in at the parking lot of Costco if I'm feeling saucy,

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Broke off the head of a bolt holding the transmission mount to the frame, along with a part of the mount! Seems to be stuck on there pretty good, gonna just order a new one and ignore any weird sounds or vibrations for a week :downs:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
This morning I pulled the angled shim from my rear spring pack and the overload spring to get the pinion angle corrected, rides nice and vibrations are down at 70mph which is as fast as I ever go in that truck.

I nearly did the grease gun punt today when I couldn't get it to pump reliably, eventually it started working again but what a wasted half hour.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Tried to remove a lower control arm bolt. After removing the nut, it remained stuck so hard that I lifted the car off the axle stands instead of budging the bolt. Help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I did nothing, but my son sure didn't.

There's what I suppose you could call a steel bezel around the stereo which covers the mounting bracket and hole. Somehow he ripped that out while leaving the stereo in place minus the knob. I have no drat idea how he managed it. it comes nowhere near physically fitting. So I will have to remove the centre dash thingy and the stereo to reinstall it.