Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ED Newsletter posted:

We're happy to announce that, as promised, every player who backed our original Kickstarter at Beta level or above will find a Viper Mk IV docked at a starport for free in ‘Ships’.

Wait wait wait a second..

I'm being led to believe, by this statement, that the "The ability to pick one of three free ships at a later date" option is being filled with a new viper. A loving viper? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
This game has the weirdest premium pricing model I've come across. And by weird, I mean they're charging us for horse armor but no one really seems angry about it.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

This game has the weirdest premium pricing model I've come across. And by weird, I mean they're charging us for horse armor but no one really seems angry about it.

Better than charging $400 for ships like Star Citizen.

Horse Armour in retrospect was the most harmless form of DLC - completely cosmetic, much better than any of the later bits that cut off weapons or missions or even the proper ending like so many games. Horse Armour got poo poo for being the first example of DLC, instead of the worst example.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Stuff looks cool but please keep in mind this is (finally) the list of Things We Are Doing In Horizons (Season 2). Some of this likely going to be Holiday 2016 and some may slip entirely into Season 3 if they can't get it working.

I'm not expecting much besides airless rocks in 1.6 or 2.0, whatever they call the initial Horizons patch.

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's a cash shop full of cosmetic crap, this is what I expect to go in them lest one wants their game called pay to win. Some amount of basic paint jobs should really be included for free, though.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Bobblehead Announcement FAQ

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

RubberJohnny posted:

Better than charging $400 for ships like Star Citizen.

I think we can all agree that Star Citizen isn't a game.

GaylordButts posted:

Some amount of basic paint jobs should really be included for free, though.

This.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Some of the paints should seriously just be buyable with ingame credits, I would seriously be willing to pay a million credits for paint for my diamondback.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

The only bobblehead I want:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

Purely cosmetic items are surely the best way to do a cash shop, you don't think?

There could be a better way to buy paint jobs (people mention Waframe in this regard, no idea as I don't play it), or at least a better selection. But as far as paying to play dress up, no one's bothered because playing dress up is secondary to flying spaceship.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Some of the paints should seriously just be buyable with ingame credits, I would seriously be willing to pay a million credits for paint for my diamondback.
Yeah, basic patterns buyable in game, special patterns buyable in shop feels like the sensible way to do it. I don't think Frontier's marketing dept. have any idea what sensible means though.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 25, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Will I get a bobblehead if I have the "beta + all expansions" kickstarter thing?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I am glad we're finally getting faces, can't wait to buy a monocle for it.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
It's weird and retrograde they can't apply one paintjob to multiple ships automatically, instead it seems like they need to do a full manual retexture, which is probably why there aren't simple free ones in the game - some ships still completely lack any skins.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

How much was the season pass again?

There isn't one anymore.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I won't be happy until I can..

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I guess I shouldn't really complain, since paint jobs should've prepared me for this, but bobbleheads at 5 quid a pop is... kinda sad for a feature they cut out of beta.

*Spends $5 on a Braben Head*
Hey David is it time for fun?
*Constantly shakes no*
Oh

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

ED Newsletter posted:

We're happy to announce that, as promised, every player who backed our original Kickstarter at Beta level or above will find a Viper Mk IV docked at a starport for free in ‘Ships’.

Wait wait wait a second..

I'm being led to believe, by this statement, that the "The ability to pick one of three free ships at a later date" option is being filled with a new viper. A loving viper? Really?

Nobody?

I mean.. Anyone who back during the Beta is going to be into the larger and more expensive tier of ships by this point in the game unless they never play. So why the hell would you reward a single Viper when the original offer was for 'one of three ships'?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

OB_Juan posted:

It's better for dumb stuff like bobbleheads and paintjobs to be pricey, and not have anything that effects gameplay for sale than some other, worse models.
On one hand, yes. On the other hand, £120 for DLC pass (which is no longer available).

LCL-Dead posted:

I mean.. Anyone who back during the Beta is going to be into the larger and more expensive tier of ships by this point in the game unless they never play. So why the hell would you reward a single Viper when the original offer was for 'one of three ships'?
Because they don't want people bitching about "paying for advantages" for something people bought over a year ago. :argh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Smaller ships are probably going to be more relevant in the future even after you're flying bigger ships, since you'll be able to launch them as AI fighters.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

LCL-Dead posted:

Nobody?

Well, you get one of three ships. They never said that you get an option, or what the three ships were. Working as intended. :colbert:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

FronzelNeekburm posted:

On one hand, yes. On the other hand, £120 for DLC pass (which is no longer available).

Still, better that than $500 golden robots.

Mike the TV posted:

Well, you get one of three ships. They never said that you get an option, or what the three ships were. Working as intended. :colbert:

Alternately, they had planned three free ships, and the way to get one of them was the kickstarter. Another was apparently preordering horizons. Who knows what the third will be!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
If I preorder I get a Viper with an extra medium point that's a tad bit slower right?

pls give

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Adult Sword Owner posted:

If I preorder I get a Viper with an extra medium point that's a tad bit slower right?

pls give

Same hardpoints, better internal slots i think he said. also a :rice: spoiler

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
AW god dammit I just wanted an extra medium slot to make hunting a bit quicker

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You get a Cobra MK IV with the pre-order. That has the fat rear end and extra hardpoint.

The new Viper will be available to everyone as part of 1.5 AFAIK.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Crews and crafting? :getin:

I wasn't expecting to hear about that stuff for a while.

tooterfish posted:

You get a Cobra MK IV with the pre-order. That has the fat rear end and extra hardpoint.

The new Viper will be available to everyone as part of 1.5 AFAIK.

I thought the Cobra MKIV was available to everyone, but if you preorder Horizons you get it for free? Also did they ever say what size the extra hardpoint is?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
You can only get the Cobra MKIV by getting Horizons, and you still have to buy it. You do not get it for free.

I'm not sure about the needing to pre-order thing or not but I'm quite sure about the rest.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You're right. Wiki is saying:

quote:

It will be an exclusive ship for players who own both Elite: Dangerous and Elite: Dangerous Horizons, or pre-ordered it during an exclusive time period.
So yeah. Doesn't give us any clue what difference a pre-order makes.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Here is how it goes.

You get a Cobra IV if you pre-order horizons (or have an expansion pass/premium beta + status). You will have to pay for it.
This is bad because it puts non cosmetic content behind an additional paywall. But then again, thats the whole point of the season thingy (there is not much they can do btw, other than selling power or moving to subscriptions).

If you are eligible for a free ship (as promised to those that bought beta+), you will get the ViperMk IV for free in a hangar somewhere (like the red Eagle we got some time ago). Everyone else will have to pay for one.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

KakerMix posted:

You can only get the Cobra MKIV by getting Horizons, and you still have to buy it. You do not get it for free.

I'm not sure about the needing to pre-order thing or not but I'm quite sure about the rest.

I could have sworn i read that you get it for free after pre-ordering, back when Frontier first released info about Horizons. Though I guess if that was the case, it wouldn't be surprising if they changed it since then. Or maybe i was stoned and read it wrong.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

RubberJohnny posted:

As Star Citizen looks to be collapsing, I need this more than ever.

Did something happen recently or is this resignation finally setting in?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Rah! posted:

I could have sworn i read that you get it for free after pre-ordering, back when Frontier first released info about Horizons. Though I guess if that was the case, it wouldn't be surprising if they changed it since then. Or maybe i was stoned and read it wrong.

Many of us did (read it wrong, that is). The original announcement was about "getting access to", so many thought it was one of the 3 free ships.

axelsoar posted:

Its a pretty weird situation. By June/July, some people (at least a couple at key positions) left CIG. Have in mind that this can be attributed to standard employee turnaround in a big company like CIG, although the rate (and the positions listed) are a little in-ordinary.

Alex Mayberry (Executive Producer)
Travis Day (Executive Producer)
Chelsea Day
Riham Toulan, Senior Technical Artist (left Foundry 42 Frankfurt in July 2015)
Andrew Matthews (Global Lead Character Artist, left Foundry 42 in June 2015 and went back to Rocksteady)
Erasmus Brosdau(Art Director of Cinematics, left Foundry 42 Frankfurt in July 2015 and went back to what seems Crytek)
Bjorn Seinstra (Lead Vehicle Artist / Environment Artist, left Foundry 42 in June 2015)
Lance Powell (Supervising Art Director)
Jenny Varner
Andrew Jones (Character Pipeline Producer)
Simon Davies (Senior Programmer)
Mike Northeast (Lead Systems Designer)
Seth Nash - (Senior Character Artist)
Rest of UK Character Team left as well, source isn't sure about the names involved.

August / September was them cutting off work with Illfonic and one of the other outsourced studios, right? Those seem like downsizing given the new allegations, especially the "shooter is indefinately delayed, no wait, the work is complete, we don't need the devs anymore".

Yesterday, DS posted this as a comment in his blog (and in twitterlong)
http://www.dereksmart.com/2015/09/star-citizen-the-long-con/

quote:

Well, I have sad news to report, regarding layoffs at the Santa Monica studio.
Since my recent blog “Star Citizen – The Long Con” went live yesterday, apparently a lot has been going on at RSI/CIG brain trust.
Key issue here is that I linked to a letter one David Jennison wrote when he quit working there.
For the record, I do NOT know this person. Not even on social media. And even when I reached out to authenticate the letter, I got a “no comment” from various sources.
Apparently he had shared it with some people in order to explain why he was leaving so suddenly. And it looks like one of those people sent it to me using a burner email account which is now unreachable. Pretty much how various unknown sources have been reaching out to me since I started writing these blogs back in July.
So today, multiple sources are telling us that the Santa Monica studio is in full crisis mode as a result.
Sources are telling me that Sandi, wife of Chris Roberts, is pointing fingers and publicly blaming people in the office for leaking the letter. A letter which isn’t even company property btw. As the story goes, she called two of them “fuckers” in front of their co-workers. And as the word goes, it may have been during that altercation that two people turned in their key cards and immediately walked out.
As it stands, two have quit.
Lisa Ohanian (Ship Shape), gave 2 week notice.
Paul Forgy, quit on the spot – and walked out.
Alyssa Delhotal and James Pugh were reportedly fired under suspicion of leaking information to me. Since I don’t know ANY of the above people, it’s patently false.
It gets worse…
Meanwhile 9 people in Austin were informed that their jobs are being eliminated in October.
Additional people are reported to be informed today and tomorrow.
As I had mentioned a few weeks ago, multiple sources are telling me that the plan is to close the Austin office by end of this year. People let go so far are Artists, Engineers, and Designers working on the PU (!!!!!).
Also, sources tell me that they are hovering around $8 (!) million in cash right now and still burning around $3.5m (!) per month. Which is why they are now initiating immediate downsizing company wide. Quietly. They are hoping that upcoming sales go well to tide them over in the short term.
As it stands, credible sources tell me that they are going to run out of money at their current sales/burn by Q1/16, assuming they get some spikes from the upcoming sales and anniversary sale in November.
Which explains the Endeavor ship sale that went live in the past 24hrs.
During this downsizing, while consolidating global development in the UK, they are focusing on Squadron 42 because right now it isn’t scheduled to be ready for release for another 15 (!) months. At best.
There is so much info coming in right now, that I simply can’t divulge all of it without putting people at risk. So I am getting on a call with legal in a bit. I remain torn between my loyalty to industry sources, and my need to alert the industry that, as predicted, as big as this crowd-funding effort was, it is still on track to be the biggest single collapse of an entity in the history of the industry.
I have been sounding this warning bell since July. But I got incessantly attacked for it, and I am still under attack as a result.
I will add another update once I hear back from legal. I will probably just throw up another blog since it’s so much stuff to wade through right now.
In the meantime, to those of you affected by this, don’t even bother with attorneys or suing them. I got this. Just go find yourselves a new job, take care of your families and keep sending us stuff. This is a crowd-funded company and there are higher standards.
Most of all :
1) DO NOT TRUST THE MEDIA!!! If you want to know which of them to trust and/or talk to, contact me (anon is fine) directly at dsmart@live.com. You deserve to tell your story and I 100% guarantee you that I will make sure that it gets out and goes into the public record via the legal system as you wish for it to be told. Remember, you are going to be around in this industry, working alongside the best of the best, for years to come. Don’t make light of that.
2) DO NOT TRUST ANY OF CHRIS’S FRIENDS. If you make the single mistake of talking to someone who knows someone who knows someone, you may find yourself in violation of your exit agreement (if any) and/or NDA signed at hiring. So don’t do it.
3) Ben Lesnick cannot be trusted. But you probably already knew that.
– DS

The letter (allegedly from David Jennison who has also left recently) was this.

Regarding the people involved above, it checks out.

Paul Forgy gone. https://www.linkedin.com/pub/paul-forgy/1/686/696
Alyssa Delhotal gone. https://www.linkedin.com/in/alyssadelhotal
James Pugh gone. https://www.linkedin.com/in/jrjpugh

Have in mind that both Delhotal and Pugh tweeted about this (after the DS post), and they both sounded surprised..

https://twitter.com/AlyssaDelo/status/647171872669302784
https://twitter.com/jamespugh/status/647208471662751744

Also, a reddit poster talked to Ben after the fact, and Ben acknowledged that O'Hanian was leaving later this month for Sony. Later, DiscoLando said that O'Hanian was "still with us". Today we found out that she is indeed leaving for Sony.

It's hard to know whether DSmart is right and getting good info, or just basing it on skimming the employee register and making the downsizing stuff believable by referring to these past events and extrapolating. There is some info there though that could not have been publicly sourced.

Which...begs the question. If you have insider information, why in the name of Cthulhu would you want to give it to DEREK SMART of all people? The guy is a known troll of stupendous ferocity. I mean, look at this..

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 25, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

axelsoar posted:

You'd have to jump over to the SC thread and soak in the last oh, 10 pages or so? It involves either a leak at the company leaking Derek Smart inside information (or being a precog), maybe the Sandi woman firing two people for maybe connections to it, a letter a senior person in the company wrote about how Croberts is insufferable to work for, and a bunch of redditors buying a bunch of goons avatars.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

From what I can gather from lurking in the thread: Dr Derek Smart PhD is apparently successfully trolling Star Citizen to death.

e:^^^yeah all that stuff^^^

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I updated the bit about 1.5 and horizons in the first post, also I put a bit after them about the features that were left up in the air in terms of when they are coming or if they are behind the horizons paywall.

Seems like a good time to mention that I'm still looking for more guides for the second post, trading/rare trading/smuggling and exploration are probably the most important (I don't really have a whole lot of experence with these or I would write them), more tips for that section too. I'm going to be finishing up the powerplay guide and writing a mining guide in the next few days.

And as always if you want screenshots, videos, whatever by you in the third post just say so, I'm not very discerning so it can be as stupid as you want.

E: Also, same as the last thread, keep SC chat to a minimum. I forgot to put something in the OP about it, but we don't need a huge discussion about it here. It's safe to assume things are going just as poorly as ever with that heap of broken promises and sad nerds.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 25, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

KakerMix posted:

You'd have to jump over to the SC thread and soak in the last oh, 10 pages or so? It involves either a leak at the company leaking Derek Smart inside information (or being a precog), maybe the Sandi woman firing two people for maybe connections to it, a letter a senior person in the company wrote about how Croberts is insufferable to work for, and a bunch of redditors buying a bunch of goons avatars.

There are also rumors that Chris Roberts' mismanagement of the development (he's supposedly a manbaby who sucks at communicating and prioritizing) is causing them to run out of money, which means they might have to close their Austin office (which is the one working on the persistent universe, which seems kind of important).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Rah! posted:

There are also rumors that Chris Roberts' mismanagement of the development (he's supposedly a manbaby who sucks at communicating and prioritizing) is causing them to run out of money, which means they might have to close their Austin office (which is the one working on the persistent universe, which seems kind of important).

CR is a perfectionist with bad managerial skills. This means that he wants anything and everything to pass by his hands before signing it off, while lacking the experience and managerial skills needed to explain to his subordinates what exactly he wants.

This means that things go in CRC error mode, where CR tells an artist how to do a boot lace, the artist does it, CR hates it (while he gave him bad info in the first place), the artist does it again to his exact standard, and then CR changes his mind on it and makes him do it over. Again and again.

Reading some of the Jump points (e-magazines produced by CIG for subscribers that contain development content/history) is a hilarious way to observe the above fact.

In any case, I think (out of my rear end) that the problem is they are running out of money and need to downsize enough to make SQ42 happen, and then fund the PU from it (pre-orders, and asset sales). Its not an easy task.

AndroidHub posted:

E: Also, same as the last thread, keep SC chat to a minimum. I forgot to put something in the OP about it, but we don't need a huge discussion about it here. It's safe to assume things are going just as poorly as ever with that heap of broken promises and sad nerds.

Just saw that, shutting down. :v:

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 25, 2015

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Weren't Beta players supposed to get a second free ship after the starting Eagle, or did they give us that? I haven't played since Powerplay, although that's mostly because Witcher/Batman/Metal Gear/GTA are loving massive and have backlogged the rest of my Steam library up.

axelsoar posted:

Lotta rumours coming out with unusual hit record - talk of them downsizing development to avoid running out of money, maybe sticking the shooter part and persistent universe on the back-burner.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys I know there's a stupid us vs them thing in this thread but please keep SC AIDS out of here tia

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

quote:

How much wobble can a bobblehead wobble if a bobblehead could wobble bobbles?

Many wobbly bobbles.

Well, my concerns are alleviated! :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

frank.club posted:

Guys I know there's a stupid us vs them thing in this thread but please keep SC AIDS out of here tia

StarCraft is a good game though? :confused:

• Locked thread