Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012
Found this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3mamox/big_debt_problems_didnt_think_i_could_lose_my_job/ posted:

So I bought a new car because my old one died on me and I drive ALOT (40 miles a day, Monday - Friday for school and 200 miles nearly every weekend to visit my girlfriend who lives in a different state). I bought this car 2 months ago, and I just lost my job so things are looking bad.

Car loan - $18000 at 5%

Subsidized Student Loan - $17000 at 4% UnSub Student Loan - $5700 at 6%

Credit Card - $7100 at 0% until March 15 then probably a crazy high rate

Car payment is $300 Insurance is $180. Phone bill is $110 Weekly Gas comes to about ~$35

No rent because I moved back in with my parents (they are both disabled and need help with basic house stuff)---this is where that ridiculous amount of credit card debt came in, I would much rather not say what exactly I had to put that money towards.

I was making ~$2100 a month but I lost my job and it's hard to find a good job being a full time student and having classes during the day, everyday. On top of that, I'm a psychology major and don't expect to be striking gold with the degree (Expect to graduate next December).

Plan on working at a restaurant I use to work at on Monday/Wednesday/Friday nights because that's my only real availability unless I find some overnight work but I can only hope to make about $60 a night (after tax) bussing at the restaurant (boss won't let me serve since I've been out of there for 2 years)

So my income will be ~$720 and I'm sitting on $3800 in my checking account.

I'm ok for now, obviously, but I need to make moves before poo poo hits the fan. Especially with that credit card debt and the interest kicking in on March 15. Any advice?
Bought a car > $18k on credit while earning $25k/year and being a full-time student, then lost that job.

Oooh, there's an even better one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3mak7d/i_purchased_a_walmart_money_card_and_filled_it/ posted:

I have just recently moved to the BigCity(tm) and started a new job. My old bank has no branches here and I haven't opened an account at a new bank yet because I'm a broke college grad. Today was my 1st paycheck and I thought it would be smart to go to Walmart and put it on a prepaid card so I don't just have ~$400 in my wallet and can pay for Spotify, etc...
Then tries to activate card for cash withdrawals, which fails, and is now temporarily, yet thoroughly, hosed. Oh, and the 50$ in cash he/she didn't put on the card? Used it to buy groceries, instead of paying with the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

My old bank has no branches here and I haven't opened an account at a new bank yet because I'm a broke college grad. Today was my 1st paycheck and I thought it would be smart to go to Walmart and put it on a prepaid card so I don't just have ~$400 in my wallet and can pay for Spotify, etc...

oh my god

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

quote:

pay for spotify

lmao

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Well, what are my options? I am a recent grad without money!
I could set up direct deposit for my existing bank account and then find an ATM? Naah
I could set up a free checking account with one of a dozen retail banks that have branches and ATMs everywhere? Naah
I could put it on a WalMart card and then not have any cash? BEST OPTION

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I pay for spotify premium, but we also are putting over $3100 into tax-advantaged accounts each month, so whatever

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I pay for spotify premium

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
No one is allowed to have any luxuries ever. Eat lentils. Ride a bike. Listen to the radio with commercials. Don't buy a radio. Listen to radio in a store. Maybe have a clock radio.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

You buy video games, so, pot, kettle, etc.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Guys I think it is a joke guuuuys :ohdear:

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Tigntink posted:

No one is allowed to have any luxuries ever. Eat lentils. Ride a bike. Listen to the radio with commercials. Don't buy a radio. Listen to radio in a store. Maybe have a clock radio.

Who needs a clock when you have the Sun

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Nail Rat posted:

I pay for spotify premium, but we also are putting over $3100 into tax-advantaged accounts each month, so whatever

Don't do this. Driveby humblebragging is the fastest way to make this thread really lovely.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

We've reached Peak Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3me1wc/250k_in_debt_dismissed_3rd_year_med_student/

quote:

Hello Personal Finance!
Quick disclaimer: I’ve been a lurker and have never made a reddit account. I’ve made a throwaway account and am posting because I really can’t find any similar examples to the financial situation a friend of mine is facing. I feel like I’m at a loss for how to help them out or even give advice, so I’ll do my best here to see what I find.
The situation:
A friend of mine has been in med school for 4 years. He wanted to go into family medicine. He failed and repeated his 2nd year, but continued to fail multiple 3rd year rotations (I believe he failed at least 2 rotations, maybe 3). After his most recently failed rotation, he was dismissed from med school. He is going for an appeal but, honestly, we don’t think that will happen. If somehow the appeal goes through, he still won’t graduate for another 2 years, bringing him to 6 years in med school and over a third of a million dollars in debt. I’m not in med school or in any sort of medical field, so I can’t judge what this makes of him as a student or a potential physician.
Financially, my friend currently has 250k in debt which incurs an interest of approximately $40 a day (around $1200 a month). His parents must have cosigned something for him to even get that amount of money because he definitely has no savings or credit himself. He owns no property, except a car and of course personal belongings. I recently found out he literally charged EVERYTHING to the debt. For example: If he buys a subway sandwich, it gets charged to the debt. All his groceries, his rent, any recreational activities, eating out (which he does a lot), everything. That’s how it’s been for the past 4 years.
His undergraduate degree is in pathology with an English minor. He’s thinking maybe he can get a 1 or 2 year degree in nursing or something like that so he can start having an income. But even in the best case scenario where he eventually gets a decent job, unless he’s making an actual doctor’s salary, I have no idea how he’s going to handle 250k in debt. I should also note he’s almost 31 years old, so he may not have as long to build a career as others.
I want to find out where the hope in this is and what does this situation actually mean. I’ve never personally had experience with debt like this; maybe this situation isn’t as crazy as I think it is, or maybe it is. It seems crazy to me currently. Right now, he seems at a loss, and his parents have been rather silent. I really do care for this friend, but he definitely hasn’t made responsible decisions.
I appreciate any insight you guys might have. Please feel free to ask me any questions if you need more info, but I will respect my friend’s privacy. Thank you so much!
TL;DR: Almost 31 year old friend got kicked out of med school with no degree, has 250K in debt that incurs $40 interest per day (almost $1200 per month). Current undergraduate degree in Pathology with English minor.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
That guy needs to flee the country and work as a witch doctor in the jungle somewhere.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Yep, time to get the gently caress out of dodge. I'd rather have to start anew as an illegal immigrant than have to work for the literal rest of my life to pay down that debt.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Someone recommended he buy a house in Cali, get some home equity, pay off the loans with an equity loan and then walk away from the house. The gently caress?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

The Mandingo posted:

That guy needs to flee the country and work as a witch doctor in the jungle somewhere.

Arise chicken!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Virigoth posted:

Someone recommended he buy a house in Cali, get some home equity, pay off the loans with an equity loan and then walk away from the house. The gently caress?

What do you think the over/under on the recommender being a sovereign citizen is?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

bartlebyshop posted:

What do you think the over/under on the recommender being a sovereign citizen is?

High 90th percentile. He probably deserved to walk away from his house just like this guy should.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Virigoth posted:

One of those debts can be discharged in bankruptcy, the other is hell debt that will follow you to your grave. Of course the trick would be getting the home loans necessary.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

The other trick would be convincing the bankruptcy court to discharge the debt after it's completely obvious what you did.

Edit: to clarify, I mean after the house scamminess.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 26, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

He actually stands a chance of a bankruptcy discharge. The debt doesn't sound like it was incurred fraudulently, but paying that off after your failed career may pass the test for substantial hardship. It probably should, considering his best income we'll be as a lab tech somewhere for 35k/yr.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
that's a good plan if it works

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

Arise chicken!
Was... was that an ATHF reference? <3

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
How the hell do you get anyone to even underwrite a student loan for 250k? Who would take that kind of lending risk?

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

BigDave posted:

How the hell do you get anyone to even underwrite a student loan for 250k? Who would take that kind of lending risk?

Medicine is different from other fields. You can get Stafford loans for 40k+ a year without even a cosigner. And I think it's just a little more paperwork to get gradplus over that.

e: The reason why is very few people fail out, and if you become a doctor and finish residency (which almost everyone does), you can very reliably pay those loans back. That's a pretty standard post-med-school loan burden.

Amara fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 26, 2015

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And from the reddit comments, it's extremely hard to fail residency itself.

So basically OP's friend really wasn't cut out for med school, but is too stubborn to accept it.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
He should consider medical school in Germany. I hear it's free!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Or St. George's University School of Medicine.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
The Caribbean is not the answer for that guy

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Wickerman posted:

The Caribbean is not the answer for that guy

I dunno, surviving on coconuts on a remote island might be this guy's best option.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That guy doesn't have a problem at all if it's stafford/gradplus debt , because all he has to do is just sign up for PAYE and he's fine. He still needs a job but the debt might as well not exist. Hell, he did a really good thing by making sure all his living expenses came from student loan debt.

I know dozens of people with 200-300k+ of debt who pay a few hundred on it after partying their way through school, because there's no reason to take out less debt instead of more (as long as it isnt private).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm trying to come up with a reason that those people that max out their public loans with the plan to go for forgiveness are better than tax dodgers but I'm coming up empty

I guess they're ostensibly giving back to the community, but jeez, $200-300k is a lot of time-leveraged value

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You could think of the dollar value as being like the points in Whose Line is it Anyway: made up and don't matter. I mean post-secondary education prices aren't really tied to anything that we would traditionally consider cost (besides healthcare lol). The numbers are basically pulled out of thin air.

E: VVV clearly you are right and I just didn't think of that

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 27, 2015

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Tax dodging is actually good because of the horrendous moral wrongs committed with the money :ssh:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Not a Children posted:

I'm trying to come up with a reason that those people that max out their public loans with the plan to go for forgiveness are better than tax dodgers but I'm coming up empty

I guess they're ostensibly giving back to the community, but jeez, $200-300k is a lot of time-leveraged value

Those programs are set up intentionally to incentivize people to do just that. That is their goal, for better or worse. Do you feel similarly negatively about people who contribute to IRAs and 401ks? You can do a great deal of "tax dodging" with those as well. Governments use tax incentives to mold people's behavior intentionally, I don't think it's wrong to participate in such programs in the intended manner. It's fine to criticize the program but I don't think less of anyone using it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 27, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

The only positive is that the money has gone into the local economy when the US needs people to spend money. Giving money to the poor/students is better than gifting large sums to banks (instead of loaning money). By failing residency he has probably saved hundreds of lives. :shepface:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Not a Children posted:

The bonuses paid to financial firms for selling student loan backed securities help stimulate the cocaine and hooker sectors of the economy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Those programs are set up intentionally to incentivize people to do just that. That is their goal, for better or worse. Do you feel similarly negatively about people who contribute to IRAs and 401ks? You can do a great deal of "tax dodging" with those as well. Governments use tax incentives to mold people's behavior intentionally, I don't think it's wrong to participate in such programs in the intended manner. It's fine to criticize the program but I don't think less of anyone using it.

Sorry, I don't buy this at all. Filing for bankruptcy to discharge hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt is categorically different than using tax-sheltered accounts to save for retirement. The former is an unintended consequence of the rules and policies of the system. The latter is very much intended, because the government wants to incentivize people to save for retirement so that they don't starve once they stop working.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Sorry, I don't buy this at all. Filing for bankruptcy to discharge hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt is categorically different than using tax-sheltered accounts to save for retirement. The former is an unintended consequence of the rules and policies of the system. The latter is very much intended, because the government wants to incentivize people to save for retirement so that they don't starve once they stop working.

It has nothing to do with bankruptcy - it's an incentive system designed to convince people to work in public service and nonprofit positions that they otherwise wouldn't be willing to work in. After 10 years of (income-based) payments, they forgive your loans if you work in one of the qualifying places. These places largely pay less than equivalent positions in for-profit companies, and many people would pass them up if they weren't also rewarded in forgiveness of student-loan debt.

Student loans aren't discharged in bankruptcy, it doesn't apply at all, at least in the US. (Though any lender giving you a loan that is dischargeable knows that it is dischargeable and is giving you the loan anyway - they did the probability calculation and judged it to be profitable, nothing wrong with bankruptcy there either.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Student loans aren't discharged in bankruptcy, it doesn't apply at all, at least in the US. (Though any lender giving you a loan that is dischargeable knows that it is dischargeable and is giving you the loan anyway - they did the probability calculation and judged it to be profitable, nothing wrong with bankruptcy there either.)

I've been curious about this:

I'm doing my Master's outside the US. I pay my tuition with credit cards I take out to reap signup bonuses each term (uni doesn't charge a processing fee and I've got a high credit score back in the US), which I then immediately pay off out of savings. I feel like I'm getting away with something, although really I'm just making the best out of a not-great situation (can't get loans for my school, so having to drain my savings).

What if instead, I'd gone for the credit cards I'd need at first (before my score started to drop due to high utilisation), increased my limits as high as I could, then put my tuition on them for the next two years, and declared bankruptcy at the end? We're talking about US$24k total at the present exchange rate. I could see this not being a viable options for undergrads for a few reasons: lack of credit being #1, and the hit to credit score catching up to them well before graduation, but it seems like a possible loophole in the system for graduate degrees. Do people ever do this, or are bankruptcy laws designed to catch bad-faith applications like that?

• Locked thread