Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ariong posted:

I actually liked that because it was, as far as I can remember, the first time the party did something that was a bad idea and it bit them in the rear end.

It wasn't a bad idea. They tried to negotiate and got very obviously shut down (with cues from the DM that this wasn't going to work). The way out behind them was filled with vines. What else were they supposed to do? Ask to join her gang of one?

It didn't help that after they got whipped the NPC swings dramatically through the window and does the same stuff and it works. Oof.

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

My only "problem" is that Travis is never ever going to fail a roll since he's more worried about being good than having fun.

Travis is a Slayer-type player and they pride themselves on rear end-kicking. The other part, though, is that it's D&D 5e, it's totally DM fiat what happens when you fail a roll. For all Travis knew a failed skill check on the back of the train would have resulted in Magnus falling to his death. That's because it's a bad system for doing stunts. Remember when Travis had to roll two skill checks to throw a wolf in a campfire for 1d4 damage while Justin gets to say "I cast Charm Person" and change the whole scene around with one roll?

The absolute best thing for Travis to do, mechanically, is say "I attack with <x>" over and over. If he ever figures that out we're in real trouble, because Travis wants to be a good rear end-kicker beyond anything else.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That's not what happened at all. She offered to let them leave, they fought, they got knocked down. Then someone else came in, didn't fight, and she ran off.

I was a little disappointed that Magnus' fake swing gambit didn't work but I suppose that would have been a pretty big anticlimax.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 25, 2015

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

You should not be able to fight your way out of every single situation in a game. That's boring and stifles creativity, and the same solution should not work for every conflict. I am also against "level scaling" where it doesn't make sense narratively, and the PCs should have their asses kicked every once in a while.

I honestly don't think any of the NPCs could really be called GMPCs so far. Maybe it's just because I use the term differently, but for me a GMPC is an NPC that is specifically there to be the GM's "player character" insert in the game while abusing the power that comes with that to just be all-around cooler and better than the PCs. Plots that involve them are invariably about how much more awesome the GMPC is than everyone else, and they are very frequently with the PCs even when their presence isn't vital. That doesn't apply to all NPCs that are helpful and more powerful than the PCs, and it certainly hasn't applied to the NPCs in The Adventure Zone.

Yeah, that one scene with Hurley and the Raven was not perfectly executed, but that probably would've gone better both in terms of story and for the PCs if they'd taken Griffin's obvious hints that attacking would be a really bad idea.

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

My only "problem" is that Travis is never ever going to fail a roll since he's more worried about being good than having fun. Other than that I think that everyone says funny things and Griffin is good at voicing/improvising for characters so I don't mind if it's "on rails"
Wholly agreed. Has Travis ever rolled less than a 10 on anything?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ariong posted:

That's not what happened at all. She offered to let them leave, they fought, they got knocked down. Then someone else came in, didn't fight, and she ran off.

Uh, no. They did try to negotiate. But even if you're right what you're actually saying is that they should have done what the bad guy said and turned around and left her with the artifact that they were specifically tasked to get. To do otherwise is, to you, a "bad idea". Gosh I'm sure glad you aren't running this podcast: Tune in for next week's Adventure Zone when the gang returns to the moon base and says "well we couldn't get that one because the wielder told us to leave, what's next?"

Stroop There It Is posted:

Yeah, that one scene with Hurley and the Raven was not perfectly executed, but that probably would've gone better both in terms of story and for the PCs if they'd taken Griffin's obvious hints that attacking would be a really bad idea.

Yeah and it's lovely design because there's nothing they could do except walk away (yeah right) or get clowned on and have Griffin's NPC bail them out. It's not that it was imperfectly executed, it's that it was completely poo poo no-win design and one of the podcast's few honest-to-god bad moments.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 25, 2015

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fair point I suppose. They DID try to convince her that that thing wasn't safe, though I object to the notion that Hurley did the same thing as they did and got a different result. Anyway I still stand by the idea that I like if they get beat up every so often.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Hey grognards, this podcast isn't for you. Please go back in your trad games hole.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
Nerd Poker was really bad when I listened to it so I'm all for whatever the Adventure Zone does. Justin will probably want to impact the story eventually just give him time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Hey grognards, this podcast isn't for you. Please go back in your trad games hole.

NO CRITICISMS ALLOWED, EVEN IF YOU SAY IT'S A GOOD PODCAST YOU MUST BELIEVE IT IS PERFECT TO POST HERE

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Criticisms are fine, but the D&D forum is in a dark corner of the site for a reason. You guys are the worst.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Whizbang posted:

Criticisms are fine, but the D&D forum is in a dark corner of the site for a reason. You guys are the worst.

--a guy who posts in the MMO forum, the TVIV, the gadgets forum, Let's Play, and the comic book forum. LOL

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

i'm going to repeat this: forum user Whizzbang, a guy who watches other people play video games and unironically discusses his android phone on the internet while playing the final fantasy MMO is clowning on a guy for liking role playing games. let that sink in

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Getting a little personal in here...

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Jeez, I wonder why RPG fans on this site have a reputation for being obnoxious and overly-combative, hmmmm

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Don't call a good forum a nasty hole and I won't have to regulate. *slowly removes katana from sheath, wipes bacon grease from forehead*

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Whizbang posted:

There really hasn't been much discussion about the nitty-gritty details. It's mostly been about the story, which is the main thing.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
No seriously, get the gently caress out. Nobody loving cares about your DnD theory. We're here for the goofs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wake_N_Bake posted:

No seriously, get the gently caress out. Nobody loving cares about your DnD theory. We're here for the goofs.

You seem to have gotten confused. The goofs are in the podcast. They aren't here. This is the discussion thread for talking about the podcast.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shut up megaman's jockstrap

Wake_N_Bake posted:

you were posting so much before this conversation happened, you must have so much to say other than "NO TALKING ABOUT THINGS"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Pack Your Bags and Move Away

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

jfc you guys

I thought this week's MBMBaM was funnier than the live show this weekend. AGREE/DISAGREE? I don't regret getting a ticket or anything, just laughed a lot harder at the most recent podcast.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It had some good riffs. "Coffee or Justin" is succinct and funny.

Also, hey, here's a thread I just made in Traditional Games to talk the technicals of Actual Play podcasts like the Adventure Zone so that you guys can talk about MBMBaM in peace. Let's see if it sinks or swims.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's okay i'm just gonna keep talking about it in here because its' a McElroy podcast about jokes and jokes and jokes

theyre fighting giant battle wagons with animal mask riders one of which had a giant killer octopus in it. its pretty cool

It just sucks that we won't get the resolution for a month because of the flophouse episode inbetween

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 25, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Quest For Glory II posted:

It just sucks that we won't get the resolution for a month because of the flophouse episode inbetween
Yeah, all the switcheroos happening is particularly bad for TAZ because it A.) Has decently sized story arcs, and B.) is Good.

That said, I AM interested to hear the McElroy's talk about a lovely movie.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 25, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

jfc you guys

I thought this week's MBMBaM was funnier than the live show this weekend. AGREE/DISAGREE? I don't regret getting a ticket or anything, just laughed a lot harder at the most recent podcast.

rip Griffin, died from podcasts

E: in an odd bit of podcast crossover, Griffins mailman is also somehow Boots Raingear's neighbor

Alaois fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 25, 2015

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Will a taco ever be built?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

After hearing an ad at the end of a MBMBAM for Oh No Ross And Carrie in which they managed to sound like adults and not stupid nerds in their ad, I picked through some recent eps for interesting stuff and really enjoyed it. Interesting content and upbeat hosts who are good at talking and stuff.

The three part Aetherius Society set was fantastic.

I guess the system works?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

GNU Order posted:

After hearing an ad at the end of a MBMBAM for Oh No Ross And Carrie in which they managed to sound like adults and not stupid nerds in their ad, I picked through some recent eps for interesting stuff and really enjoyed it. Interesting content and upbeat hosts who are good at talking and stuff.

The three part Aetherius Society set was fantastic.

I guess the system works?

It is an extremely good podcast. The OTO ones are really good too.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh No Ross and Carrie is very drat good

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
They can be a tad obnoxious with their ratings but I like em

Also the first raven encounter was designed like a video game not a tabletop game, specifically an unwinnable boss fight where you get your rear end kicked so you can kick their rear end later. Griffins stuff has a lot of video game influence because he's a professional videogamesman

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Farg posted:

They can be a tad obnoxious with their ratings but I like em

Also the first raven encounter was designed like a video game not a tabletop game, specifically an unwinnable boss fight where you get your rear end kicked so you can kick their rear end later. Griffins stuff has a lot of video game influence because he's a professional videogamesman

"On a scale frommmm..." is the most annoying, but overall it's a fantastic podcast that they obviously put a lot of time and effort into. Highly recommended.

The Adventure Zone is so loving funny and so entertaining, not to mention how amazing Clint is. I have zero experience playing DnD, as does their dad, so he's the 'explain it to me for the audience' character that I need for me to relate.

I don't care about the mechanics, or how this version of play is different from the next. I just enjoy listening to them gently caress around. They are obviously having fun with it, why shouldn't we take it at face value?

The point and narrative are to have fun and be accessible to all. They've done a great job (#1 DnD podcast?) and appealed to a huge audience. Sorry if hardcore nerds don't like the rules or whatever, but this is why I get a bit snippy here. Nobody cares about the minutiae when they bring so much else to the table.

This isn't a DnD podcast with some witty banter, this is a comedy podcast with a "DnD" framework. Please treat it as such, and stop bitching about rules.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I had assumed the crossovers were going to be donor bonuses since they were a pledge goal. Is this not the case?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is the discussion thread for talking about the podcast.

To be fair, it is also for complaining about MaxFun ads and most of its shows, too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

toanoradian posted:

To be fair, it is also for complaining about MaxFun ads and most of its shows, too.
The Baby Geniuses ad was almost better the 2nd time around in the adventure zone rotation which makes me think that maxfun ads should really just be clips from the actual shows instead of "WHATS OUR SHOW ABOUT??"

like for MBMBAM just make an ad out of the loving Chinchillas question, that's all you need really

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

MBMBAM ads should just be a clip from the Totinos episode to get that sweet recurring ad payments

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alaois posted:

rip Griffin, died from podcasts

E: in an odd bit of podcast crossover, Griffins mailman is also somehow Boots Raingear's neighbor

I appreciate this joke about teddy bear gently caress parties and anal sex with girlfriends that manages to cross into strategically placed holes and motherrrrr territory.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wake_N_Bake posted:

"On a scale frommmm..." is the most annoying, but overall it's a fantastic podcast that they obviously put a lot of time and effort into. Highly recommended.

The Adventure Zone is so loving funny and so entertaining, not to mention how amazing Clint is. I have zero experience playing DnD, as does their dad, so he's the 'explain it to me for the audience' character that I need for me to relate.

I don't care about the mechanics, or how this version of play is different from the next. I just enjoy listening to them gently caress around. They are obviously having fun with it, why shouldn't we take it at face value?

The point and narrative are to have fun and be accessible to all. They've done a great job (#1 DnD podcast?) and appealed to a huge audience. Sorry if hardcore nerds don't like the rules or whatever, but this is why I get a bit snippy here. Nobody cares about the minutiae when they bring so much else to the table.

This isn't a DnD podcast with some witty banter, this is a comedy podcast with a "DnD" framework. Please treat it as such, and stop bitching about rules.

that's a lot of words to say "stop talking about something in a way i don't like"

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Adventure Zone has inspired me to start a 5e DnD game with my brother, sister, wife, and friend. We are having a great time. Looking around the internet, nearly everyone has a good time with 5e. It isn't perfect, but for some reason the Something Awful traditional game forums have always hated 5e with a much higher passion than the rest of the internet. They aren't wrong necessarily, but more than any other game (video or board) so much of an RPG is what the DM and players make of it.

In any case, the adventure zone is awesome and it inspired the people closest to me to join me on crazy, memorable adventures. 5e works well as a medium for those adventures. Haters gotta hate.

On a side note, I'm going to recommend MBMBaM to a friend, and want to find a good entry point. I've listened to most of them, but all the good episodes kinda blur into one another in that I can remember good segments, but cannot remember what episode they're from. Do you folks have a particular episode you recommend? Bonus points if it is recent.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Glass Shark

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
e: That, too.

Rusty Kettle posted:

On a side note, I'm going to recommend MBMBaM to a friend, and want to find a good entry point. I've listened to most of them, but all the good episodes kinda blur into one another in that I can remember good segments, but cannot remember what episode they're from. Do you folks have a particular episode you recommend? Bonus points if it is recent.

I will always suggest Spaghettageddon as an entry point, because it was seriously a high-water mark for me with this show. The 3 of them being in the same room and not having an audience to worry about really brings out the best in them.

If you have to go recent, I think Dunkey might be the most completely funny episode in the last while. It has a few different good bits, IIRC.

Failing that, if you don't wanna start with a full episode, there's always the sampler. It's got some old favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I Hate You Ron is the best intro point, I feel.

• Locked thread