Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

frajaq posted:

alright lets guess what the gently caress does this perk means

When you bust a nut but she still suckin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

frajaq posted:

alright lets guess what the gently caress does this perk means

His face kinda looks like Yes Man.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Cavauro posted:

look like garfield man from the comics. the fallout cartoon boy has a visual style which appears to be very similar to the man of garf field. this perk is called Garfield Look Like

Garfield
Hey John, where's the wasteland lasagna?
John
You loving suck. You have a small dick, and your dick smells. Stop posting and die.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Lol also this

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Moridin920 posted:

For real? There's all kinds of generic viking themed games out there.

Just the first two that popped up when I entered 'viking game steam' into Google. The landscape are basically the same.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234530/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211160/

Look I liked Skyrim's landscapes and setting but lol come on they weren't very unique. Mountains, forests, snow, etc. Riften was the most interesting just because it was different. Compared to something like Morrowind it's generic setting as hell.

A few pages back, but is your "Skyrim is generic viking themed" argument only backed by two games that were released after Skyrim? That's like hating Lord of the Rings for being generic fantasy.

Also neither of them are RPGs.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

If you think this thread is bad, I remembered that No Mutants Allowed exists.

Just because one place takes a dump on your experience doesn't mean I'm gonna be grateful that another only hocks phlegm on it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I mean Skyrim might not be as weird as Morrowind or whatever, but I still can't think of many other games set in a high fantasy setting inspired by Viking-era Scandinavia but re-imagined as the fringes of the the Late Antiquity Roman Empire.

I can think of other fantasy settings that have a Viking-land in them, I can even think of a few that showed up in games before Skyrim (Northrend in Wow, for example), but even at the most superficial level of things you see in your first few minutes of playing Skyrim (stoic Norse types, Roman legionaries and local auxiliaries, a dragon) is more specific than just "Vikings".

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Thats the thing though, its all superficial.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lotish posted:

For no reason I can fathom, these guys think it's "Scavenger--chance to find hidden containers."

oh I see now, vault boy is happy he found a bottlecap under the chair (what a lucky fellow!), doesn't explain the face though

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually sort of like the perk chart, even if it will likely wear out its welcome within a few hours. It beats have to navigate a constellation, and spending time trying to get the thing to correctly guess that you wanted to go one bump up the line and not to the top. At least this is entirely linear.

Getting a better look at what's available, I'll probably do my usual sniper / thief / crafter guy. Seems like that fits with PER / INT / AGI, and probably a little STR to keep my damage up on small guns (which I'm assuming still describes scoped rifles).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ymgve posted:

A few pages back, but is your "Skyrim is generic viking themed" argument only backed by two games that were released after Skyrim? That's like hating Lord of the Rings for being generic fantasy.

Also neither of them are RPGs.

I'm not hating on anything. Those are just the first two that popped up in a quick search (like I said). Not about to list off every single game that uses that setting. I'm just saying lol if you think 'northern/viking fantasy setting' is some super unique thing. It ain't got poo poo on Morrowind and its mushroom cities.

It's like saying 'pirates' is some super unique theme/setting. Or like saying a LOTR clone is something super unique. It can still be GOOD; doesn't mean the setting isn't generic. Whether they are RPGs or not isn't really relevant to what I'm saying.

e: oh and btw one of those two games you said came out after Skyrim was released in 2008 so that's a pretty interesting time travel trick if it came out after Skyrim.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 25, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I'm going to freaking destroy you

Fallout 4 looks like garbage for retard idiots just like Fallout 3 and I'm disappointed in you

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Moridin920 posted:

I'm not hating on anything. Those are just the first two that popped up in a quick search (like I said). Not about to list off every single game that uses that setting. I'm just saying lol if you think 'northern/viking fantasy setting' is some super unique thing. It ain't got poo poo on Morrowind and its mushroom cities.

It's like saying 'pirates' is some super unique theme/setting. Or like saying a LOTR clone is something super unique. It can still be GOOD; doesn't mean the setting isn't generic. Whether they are RPGs or not isn't really relevant to what I'm saying.

e: oh and btw one of those two games you said came out after Skyrim was released in 2008 so that's a pretty interesting time travel trick if it came out after Skyrim.

I just went with what Steam said the release date was on the store page you yourself linked. Now, can you list some viking RPGs predating Skyrim besides Viking: Battle for Asgard? Since apparently you have so many to pick from it shouldn't be hard.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ymgve posted:

I just went with what Steam said the release date was on the store page you yourself linked. Now, can you list some viking RPGs predating Skyrim besides Viking: Battle for Asgard? Since apparently you have so many to pick from it shouldn't be hard.

Steam page probably says when it came out on Steam? Idk that game came out in 2008.

idk why you're so caught up on the RPG thing. A game's setting has nothing to do with the genre and the genre has nothing to do with the uniqueness of the setting. I'll try to stick to RPG slash action adventure games though.

Rune
Loki: Heroes of Mythology (that one has other stuff besides Norse but it's def there)
Valhalla Chronicles
Beyond Shadowgate (that one is more of an adventure game I guess)
Cultures 2: The Gates of Asgard
Heimdall
Prophecy 1: The Viking Child
The Saga of Erik the Viking

There you go, that's 8 games from across the last 2 decades that all have the same generic viking setting. Took me 5 minutes to find them. And those are excluding the TONS of other games with that setting in different genres.

e: also
Beowulf
Valhalla (from 1983!)
Ragnarok (the roguelike)

As long as I'm listing; Celtic Kings is pretty great, even if it is an RTS and not an RPG.

This just isn't some super unique setting. It's just as generic fantasy as Oblivion was. Doesn't mean Skyrim was bad or that it had no unique ideas.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 25, 2015

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Now name all the games about idiots on the internet who argue about irrelevant things.

For instance, a game where guys argue about, oh I don't know, Vikings. See, they argue about these vikings in a forum specifically about a game set in a wasteland after a nuclear disaster. Like it's absolutely unrelated to the thread topic. How many games on steam like that, brainiac?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

If you want to go on about how generic settings are, Morrowind is then a generic ancient japense setting.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bholder posted:

If you want to go on about how generic settings are, Morrowind is then a generic ancient japense setting.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hopefully Obsidian will look at Fallout 4's perk system (in the sense that skills are inside perks) and use it on their future games

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fallout 4 Release: You loving suck. You have a small dick, and your dick smells. Stop posting and die.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I hope with high charisma your character says that to everyone he/she intimidates.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's fitting. This series already has a lot of dark humor.

:v:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

The truth hurts, I know

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Geoff Zahn posted:

It's fitting. This series already has a lot of dark humor.

:v:

because it's a black meme, i get it :hf:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zombie Boat posted:

Now name all the games about idiots on the internet who argue about irrelevant things.

For instance, a game where guys argue about, oh I don't know, Vikings. See, they argue about these vikings in a forum specifically about a game set in a wasteland after a nuclear disaster. Like it's absolutely unrelated to the thread topic. How many games on steam like that, brainiac?

lol not my fault there's no new Fallout 4 poo poo to talk about or that someone is calling me stupid for saying vikings is hella generic.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm going to enjoy playing Fallout 4 and post the Steam "Top Games By Player Count" list on NMA.

Edit: People were talking about gay characters, there's at least one gay interracial couple hiding in the Fallout 4 reveal trailer. Well, I'm assuming they are together by the way they are holding each other, they could just be scared from the incoming nukes.

Not related to the above, somebody got a nice screenshot out of yesterday's video.

Some buildings still have a loading screen to get into them, as you can see from the greyed out windows. You can see plywood over the doors, but the house in front shows up on the compass so there's probably another way in or the doors just have really bad LOD models. You can see through the windows on the smaller building that's second from the right side of the picture. We can also see this area is pretty dense for an outside cell instead of a few houses spread all over the place, or a city stuck behind a loading screen.

Most interesting is that bus/car on the compass. If it were just something like an old car dealership it would show up like any other POI, but it's a bus/car! I can't imagine it's for a car, since I can't think of how you would drive it, so it may be a garage for your power armor. That brings up another question, we know you can modify your power armor, but how do you store it away when you don't want to use it? Do you have to walk it all the way to a garage, or does it fly off like Ironman/a fultoned dude?

Yaos fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 25, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
When I first saw the confirmation that there are no more skills I was disappointed, but now that I think about it I've never once had a really interesting/positive experience with skills in any of the FO games. Probably the closest to really having fun with the skills was the base crafting plus various crafting mods like RobCo Certified, where you could explore more interesting character combos like Medicine, Science, Repair.

On the other hand, picking perks has always been fun. In FONV I planned out several of my playthroughs on paper, and the perks were always the roadmap. It was always "which perks can I take at this level" which determined "what skills do I need to have by that level?" So it seems natural to just eliminate the skills and make the perks more fine-grained.

I'm also really excited to get a first-party settlement building/defense mechanic in the game. Hopefully between that, the crafting, and the charisma perks the breadth and depth of player options in hostile encounters increase.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Seashell Salesman posted:

When I first saw the confirmation that there are no more skills I was disappointed, but now that I think about it I've never once had a really interesting/positive experience with skills in any of the FO games. Probably the closest to really having fun with the skills was the base crafting plus various crafting mods like RobCo Certified, where you could explore more interesting character combos like Medicine, Science, Repair.

On the other hand, picking perks has always been fun. In FONV I planned out several of my playthroughs on paper, and the perks were always the roadmap. It was always "which perks can I take at this level" which determined "what skills do I need to have by that level?" So it seems natural to just eliminate the skills and make the perks more fine-grained.

I'm also really excited to get a first-party settlement building/defense mechanic in the game. Hopefully between that, the crafting, and the charisma perks the breadth and depth of player options in hostile encounters increase.

Same re the skills and I am excited AS gently caress for the settlement building. I know there's people who are going 'doesn't belong in fallout' but imo it fits perfectly and the realtime settler mods for FNV and Skyrim were cool.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

frajaq posted:

oh I see now, vault boy is happy he found a bottlecap under the chair (what a lucky fellow!), doesn't explain the face though

He double cummed.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Super loving excited to be a stick up kid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest one of the big things I'm happy about is that INT is no longer theoretically an all-dominating stat. It'll probably still be OP but at very least you're less likely to have the situation where a high-INT character was better at combat than a low-INT character who specialized in the appropriate stats.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest one of the big things I'm happy about is that INT is no longer theoretically an all-dominating stat. It'll probably still be OP but at very least you're less likely to have the situation where a high-INT character was better at combat than a low-INT character who specialized in the appropriate stats.

I never liked or understood the link in the first place.

Accelerated leveling is something I prefer avoiding in Bethsoft games, so the INT perks better be good.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I just realized the perk tree is the first in-game in-world pack-in item for a piece of hardware that's not there as a throw away joke. On Reddit it was brought up that the perk tree is accessed through the Pip Boy, yet it's about as far away from the Pip Boy interface you can get. The tree is actually a pack-in poster that comes with the Pip Boy, which is interesting since it's also a pack-in poster with the physical copy of the game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, looks like the first perk for INT-1 is objective markers.

I wonder what the benefits of pacifying enemies will be. Maybe nonlethal solutions to situations where assholes decide to try to fight you anyway? Hmm.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'm really hoping that the lighting engine is improved as much as they make it sound. All of the previous games, Skyrim included, had this weird lighting during mid-day or while in shadows where everything fell to the same minimum level of light and objects looked completely flat. It was especially bad in areas where they made interior areas that you didn't zone into, like some tents and huts in Skyrim. SSAO usually helps with things like that, but so does having a better lighting engine to begin with and it's hard to tell what to expect from the videos released since everything is very cherry picked.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Speedball posted:

Huh, looks like the first perk for INT-1 is objective markers.

I wonder what the benefits of pacifying enemies will be. Maybe nonlethal solutions to situations where assholes decide to try to fight you anyway? Hmm.

The V.A.N.S skill is probably more like the Clairvoyance spell in Skyrim - it shows you an actual path, like a GPS, to your objective.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Speedball posted:

I wonder what the benefits of pacifying enemies will be.

A different kind of Light Step.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yaos posted:

I'm going to enjoy playing Fallout 4 and post the Steam "Top Games By Player Count" list on NMA.

Edit: People were talking about gay characters, there's at least one gay interracial couple hiding in the Fallout 4 reveal trailer. Well, I'm assuming they are together by the way they are holding each other, they could just be scared from the incoming nukes.

is this a parody

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Speedball posted:

Maybe. But the level reqs on anything beyond the first one are really high. Level 23 to make them attack and level 50 to make them do other stuff. The first one is just a chance to pacify which really does just sound more like "pass"-ify in that it lets you walk by encounters when you don't feel like actually shooting. I mean, it only works on stuff of a lower level so it'll literally just be the animal friend perks of earlier games just for random low-level trash raiders instead of rabid dogs/rodents. You easily could have killed them without the perk, but now you can decide not to! P-provided you've killed plenty of other things to gain the levels required to out-level them.

In FO3 Animal Friend was used for all of 0 quests. In NV it was used for all of 1 I think? Kind of doubt FO4 will make heavy use of it since it really seems like the tier 1 is just there for the tier 2/3 which do sound more combat and quest useful respectively. Then again, level 50 req for tier 3. They were saying it's closer to skyrim rate of leveling than FO3 which means you'd be like level 60 at the end of the game?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Animal Friend in NV was great for getting so many annoying enemies off your back, though. There was an entire level of Old World Blues you could walk through because Animal Friend made nightstalkers not attack you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I want skill check fails. Well, perk check fails? Try and hold someone up with your gun without the right perk:

"NOBODY STICKING MOVE, THIS IS A FUCKUP!"

• Locked thread