Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Dr Pepper posted:

Wow. That's so much that even the level up stat points you get don't really matter.

Tempted for Arcanist now to just throw them into piety so I don't have to worry much when switching between Summoner and Scholar for such a minor benefit.

My mind was pretty blown when I noticed that when you enter something in the chatbox your character will actually move their lips like they're speaking.
SMN and SCH have some of the least MP worries in the game if you're bothering to use Aetherflow. Put the points in INT, INT is more beneficial for SMN than MND is for SCH. Respecs are easy and super cheap if you decide later you want to focus on SCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

If you want to mitigate magic damage, you can stack Storm's Path, Reprisal, Disable, and Rend Mind with an E4E proc. Assuming they stack multiplicatively, that's 62% of normal damage. Add a Sacred Soil for 56%. Then there's also Virus and Dragon Kick/Delirium which would reduce the target's INT to 76% of normal, but who knows how exactly that affects damage. Keep in mind that setting all this up would take a huge amount of coordination and luck.
And it wouldn't work on magic-only bosses like Ramuh & Charibert since not only can you not parry/block their attacks (meaning no Reprisal,) those attacks don't trigger E4E either.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've run out of mana a handful of times as WHM around 45. Am I dramatically loving up or does this happen less at 50?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Be sure to use Shroud of Saints proactively. If you see you're mp is at 70% and going down, pop shroud. by the time you need more mp, it should be off cooldown again. Sometimes you wanna save it for phase transitions but I don't think this matters anywhere you will see for a long time, if ever.

Additionally you may be overhealing, or you're party is loving up and taking way too much damage. You may also be undergeared and forced to spam heals to keep up.

An optimally played WHM who is healing and dpsing will naturally lose mp over time. It's up to you to know when to hold back and conserve, though this should only be an isue if your dps players suck rear end and are taking forever to kill the boss or whatever.

Also watch those holy's. They are amazing but drain your mp like nothing else.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Once you hit 48 Shroud of Saints gets increased Refresh potency which helps, though you still have to be careful

Then at 56 you get Assize and MP problems vanish.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

I've run out of mana a handful of times as WHM around 45. Am I dramatically loving up or does this happen less at 50?
did you stop using Cure once you got Cure 2?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The fastest way to run out of MP is to cast your aoes when spot healing could do the trick.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

Once you reach the end, the stat difference between "best" and "worst" for your particular class amount to far less than a single percent (and are minimal even by level 30 which is where the training wheels start to come off), which means the difference is purely cosmetic. Choose based on looks, and run through the character creation options for each clan - some clans get options that others don't (some have muscle sliders, one variety of Lala doesn't have visible pupils, some only get certain hair/skin colors, etc)

When people say the true endgame is pretty princess dressup, they aren't really joking. I never cared at all about the paper doll and diva-management type of games, but FFXIV changed all that. The art direction is simply phenomenal. Take your time and ignore that the quests even exist, just wander around the towns once you get settled, and pay attention to the set backgrounds.

Look at the shelves in that corner over there, there's actually STUFF ON THE SHELVES. It's not just some 5-polygon rectangle with a bookshelf texture, there are boxes and jars and even modeled handles on the tiny little drawers. Check out the archery guild, and actually look at that giant ceremonial bow hanging on the wall - you can see how the individual pieces of wood were formed to put it all together. The tables on the goldsmith guild? Little piles of silver solder next to where the background craftsmen are working. The NPCs turn their head to you to see if you're doing anything interesting, pieces of clothing (even tights) have wrinkles and seams at the appropriate places, leather and burlap and velvet and every other kind of material have actual textures that each look different in the lighting, metal pants make a slight chainlinky jangly noise as you walk, over on the side table of a random room that you probably never look at has a loving dish with a candle in the center that is filled with a half inch of oil that ripples and refracts the room. If you're out in the rain, your clothing will actually get noticeably wet and have its color/texture/reflectiveness slightly altered. If you're in a windy area, your hair and loose parts of your clothes will blow. When you're out in the desert, shadows cast by mountains and clouds actually loving move with the sun.

The game is more beautiful that you will ever expect, take the time to look at it and appreciate it

yeah but what about catgirl butts? Bring back tanaka

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

White Mage is the most powerful of the three healing classes. If you really wanted to you could probably bring the entire party back from the brink of death with massive HP regens as an added cushion in just a minute or so, then do devestating damage.

Of course, this will run your MP bar dry in around two minutes, so you can't really burn like that as hilarious as it is.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dr Pepper posted:

There are racial stat differences. However, the difference between a race with the highest specific stat and the lowest is about 7 points. In a game where stats have reached the hundreds.

A guy in my FC whose static is working on their A3S clear fantasia'd purely for stat minmax purposes. I told him he was crazy, but at least he kind of regrets ditching his old look so I guess he's not entirely lost.

What I'm saying is, don't pick a subrace for stats. Pick the one that looks cooler to you. (hint: it's the one with the muscle slider). The worst that will happen is you'll get to endgame gathering and be one point of INT short of getting an extra swing at a random node, which can still be fixed with a materia meld if it bugs you.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 25, 2015

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

:agreed:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I get that alexander (NM) was made for people to be allowed to see the lore behind it and (SV) for the challenge.....F@#$ that!

(IMO) NM killed SAVAGE or any desire to attempt to beat it, COILS and the story behind it + gear was what motivates me to push me and my group every day to overcome this hard challenges and IT WAS SATISFAYING .

there was nothing better to look up that incredible CS of LUIXOIS vs BAHAMUT after t12 or revealing all the ending and what was behind everything at the end of T13 hell even seen bahamut behind the first coil was amazing.

Also the gear...what where they thinking giving the same piece of gear set for NM and HM only Dye-able? it is a huge let down since before enyone who had a piece of TANK chest from FCOB was impressive and made me drop my jaw before I could get it....
now I see alexander gear and I can only but feel it old and uninteresting since everyone and their mother has them...

whit these 2 things gone and have no sense of achievement nor reward there's no reason or motivation for me to jump anymore on SV since I already have the gear from NM already saw the story and I will just replace it with the next set of 24 man dungeon or ESO...

please make raid interesting again... people are doing savage because it's considered the current raid and not the "extra challenging" raid, NM was a little joke that could be cleared on the first day...

suggestion: I just tough about what can be done to improve this, maybe.... MAKE ALTERNATIVE or EXTENDED CT that reveals just a little more information of what's coming next, kinda like every game HARD mode that unlocks secret ending that will be a + for me. and maybe not dropping NM gear just leave the gear for (SV)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm guessing that person only has one class, at level 40.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We have a game for pubbies like that, its called wildstar

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sarrisan posted:

Be sure to use Shroud of Saints proactively. If you see you're mp is at 70% and going down, pop shroud. by the time you need more mp, it should be off cooldown again. Sometimes you wanna save it for phase transitions but I don't think this matters anywhere you will see for a long time, if ever.

Additionally you may be overhealing, or you're party is loving up and taking way too much damage. You may also be undergeared and forced to spam heals to keep up.

An optimally played WHM who is healing and dpsing will naturally lose mp over time. It's up to you to know when to hold back and conserve, though this should only be an isue if your dps players suck rear end and are taking forever to kill the boss or whatever.

Also watch those holy's. They are amazing but drain your mp like nothing else.

I think I'm not using Shroud of Saints enough. I'll start popping it when I see an actual drain in my MP below 70% then. I thing occasionally I might be overhealing but often I just get stuck in duty roulette with tanks who poo poo. Also, I'm level 44 and my average iLvl is something around 35. I think it might be old rings since I don't seem to get many of those.

ilifinicus posted:

did you stop using Cure once you got Cure 2?

Haha, no, I'm still using it for most (read: almost any non-"oh poo poo") heals.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Haha, no, I'm still using it for most (read: almost any non-"oh poo poo") heals.
ok good because the amount of WHMs I have to tell in Brayflox to stop healing me for two times my HP with Cure 2 is ridiculous

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

I think I'm not using Shroud of Saints enough. I'll start popping it when I see an actual drain in my MP below 70% then. I thing occasionally I might be overhealing but often I just get stuck in duty roulette with tanks who poo poo. Also, I'm level 44 and my average iLvl is something around 35. I think it might be old rings since I don't seem to get many of those.

You seem well on your way to learning good healz. Remember not to swing too hard in the opposite direction with Cure, though. It's really frustrating when the tank is pulling 2 mobs at once and the healer can't keep up because they cannot cast cure 2 without the proc. Good healing is all about knowing when to use what, and how much. You will learn this through experience as long as you keep asking yourself "is this a good thing I'm doing?" until you know for sure the answer is "yes."

EDIT: also, you didn't mention this but just as a general tip, remember to use all of your moves. I still occasionally see white mages at level 50+ who don't use regen for some unholy reason, or who save divine seal for emergencies when the cooldown is 60 loving seconds.

If all your buttons are not grey then you are playing sub-optimally.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Basically, you spam Holy a lot. If the tank looks like they might die you drop Cleric Stance and pop divine seal to cast a Cure II to fix that, followed immediately by a Regen, to prevent having to drop cleric stance again. Then, continue spamming holy.

Presence of Mind helps with Holy spam, so use it on cooldown.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

EfaE is a rad cooldown that procs weirdly but is 100% useful on every fight ever.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Then at 56 you get Assize and MP problems vanish.

Eh, not if you're going all out on DPS, though it certainly helps

Sarrisan posted:

EDIT: also, you didn't mention this but just as a general tip, remember to use all of your moves. I still occasionally see white mages at level 50+ who don't use regen for some unholy reason, or who save divine seal for emergencies when the cooldown is 60 loving seconds.

Divine sealing regen, medica II, and the healing bubble then going apeshit on DPS is always fun

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Chairman wanted me to post in here

KaneTW posted:

Sorry, if you can't appreciate a cute foxgirl hitting things with a weapon 3 times her size your opinion is garbo.

KaneTW posted:

Dunno, some of the lewder outfits are still pretty cute. Devilicious is probably the best outfit in Tera period.

KaneTW posted:

What? No. Elin aren't even close to how children look, jesus christ.

KaneTW posted:

Mentally they're adults, and as above they don't look like children. Not sure where you get that children part from.

:yikes:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Hy_C posted:

Chairman wanted me to post in here

:yikes:

that is Tera content and belongs in the Tera thread

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think posts should go in whatever thread tbqh tho

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

The Chairman posted:

that is Tera content and belongs in the Tera thread

pretty sure those posts are from here

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:regd08:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've seen enough posts gushing about catgirl dressup both here and in chat that I'm not surprised someone would defend Elin.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Everyone who plays an Elin in Tera is probably on an FBI watchlist.

Also are you seriously going to post that in every thread in the MMO HMO?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Unguided posted:

I've seen enough posts gushing about catgirl dressup both here and in chat that I'm not surprised someone would defend Elin.

miquo'te don't look like little children.

e: Kinda missed the point/misread :v:

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Colgate posted:

Everyone who plays an Elin in Tera is probably on an FBI watchlist.

Also are you seriously going to post that in every thread in the MMO HMO?

well chairman wanted me to post it in the appropriate thread so i did

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
it's funny because that guy is op of the tera thread

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Hy_C posted:

well chairman wanted me to post it in the appropriate thread so i did

"chairman told me to post it" is apparently the new "sorry that was my brother typing"

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

If the Chairman wanted you to roll an Elin in TERA, would you?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
a weird way to say stop talking about the pedo who said things in this thread

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

sorry for being jaded that there are creepy pedo goons out there. i am very aware of it since it was posted in three separate threads.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Colgate posted:

If the Chairman wanted you to roll an Elin in TERA, would you?

gently caress no.

Tera lets you play as a pug. Not what you're thinking, a goddamn huge pug dog.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Colgate posted:

sorry for being jaded that there are creepy pedo goons out there. i am very aware of it since it was posted in three separate threads.

If it makes you feel better, when he said it, basically the entire thread shouted him down.

In actual FFXIV news: I got to play Wolves' Den today! It's fun! I'm hype for 3.1 Wolves' Den now!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
FFXIV goon FCs harbors an out pedophile who is extremely smug and condescending about raiding proficiency

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Brannock posted:

FFXIV goon FCs harbors an out pedophile who is extremely smug and condescending about raiding proficiency
Lollerskates

Third World Reggin posted:

a weird way to say stop talking about the pedo who said things in this thread

Lawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
At 22:49 PST, I was able to create an alt on Excalibur.

If you need to create a character on that server, might be a good time to take care of it now.

• Locked thread