Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Okonner posted:

Has anyone in the media mirrored the hottest take I heard today? A gentleman in a class I'm taking seemed to hope Boehner was getting ready to join the presidential race.

Would be worth it for "Boehnerboner" if he ever rose in polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Okonner posted:

Has anyone in the media mirrored the hottest take I heard today? A gentleman in a class I'm taking seemed to hope Boehner was getting ready to join the presidential race.

I just mentioned this earlier today. In a sane Republican race he'd be a really good candidate. He would be entertaining regardless. Him and Trump could approximate Biden and Trump.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The latest conservative rebuff of Francis's call for immigration: "Well gosh, Pope Francis, why don't YOU take any immigrants? Especially women immigrants!"

Washington Times posted:

Spouses and children who live in the city because of their relationship with citizens — including the Swiss Guard and workers such as the gardener — have also been granted citizenship. But that means few of the Vatican’s citizens are women.

A Vatican spokesman did not return an email seeking comment on its policy.

The strict policy has left the Vatican open to criticism in the past, including from right-wing political leaders in Italy who want tighter immigration controls in their country and have rebuffed the papacy’s calls for leniency by asking how many refugees live in the enclave.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boehner would not be a bad vp at all except you know his name . His name sounds like Boner. Exactly like boner.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'd vote Boehner for Pres.
That way he'd be the drunkest President since Yeltsin.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just mentioned this earlier today. In a sane Republican race he'd be a really good candidate. He would be entertaining regardless. Him and Trump could approximate Biden and Trump.

Would anyone sane want to join the current Republican race right now, though? Trump's turned it into a circus, and until and unless he gets demolished I'm not sure Boehner would want to put on the makeup and giant red nose expected of him.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

Would anyone sane want to join the current Republican race right now, though? Trump's turned it into a circus, and until and unless he gets demolished I'm not sure Boehner would want to put on the makeup and giant red nose expected of him.

I don't think he really has to worry about the makeup.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan says they're going to markup a reconciliation bill next week to defund Planned Parenthood. So that's the game: they'll pass that, Obama will veto it and there will be a clean CR. Everyone goes home happy.

Except me! Boehner and the Pope screwed me out of $30 :argh:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

I seriously loving hope they don't cause a shut down and/or force another round of massive across-the-board cuts. I'm starting training for my new job with the DoJ in January, and the entire process to get the loving job was already delayed over a year because of the last sequester. :ohdear:

hAHAhAAA suck it you government FAT CAT

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

With four refugees in the Vatican, Italy would have to admit 300,000 refugees for proportionality :getin:
(they had 94,000 in 2014)

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is pretty shameful.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Irony is dead. And we have killed it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's the Black family of Durham Co., NC.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

I seriously loving hope they don't cause a shut down and/or force another round of massive across-the-board cuts. I'm starting training for my new job with the DoJ in January, and the entire process to get the loving job was already delayed over a year because of the last sequester. :ohdear:

yes, no

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

gopoutreach.jpg

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

How will that help him find time to drink and smoke in his office between press conferences for an entire month?

They still let people smoke indoors in DC?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Conclusion: don't work for the Feds unless you're willing to take an unpaid vacation every November.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Actually, we've always ended up getting paid for shutdowns. So it's a paid vacation.

The only issue is my office publishes a lot of its statistics at the end of the year, so we have to work extra/push it back whenever a shutdown happens.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It does a lot of damage to government grant funded research.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Morrow posted:

Actually, we've always ended up getting paid for shutdowns. So it's a paid vacation.

The only issue is my office publishes a lot of its statistics at the end of the year, so we have to work extra/push it back whenever a shutdown happens.

Pffft just another worthless government worker making excuses. You'd never make it in the private sector!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

What's the problem they seem black to me except for the lady with the arm transplant?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CommieGIR posted:

I guess Boehner had a 'Come to Jesus' moment behind the pope.

Maybe the pope reminded him that the GOP can't keep using the bible to push all their stupid agenda, and then be pissed at the pope when he acts like Jesus.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Sad to hear that Boehner is pulling out.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Morrow posted:

All the contractors you work with don't.

We end up spending our vacation time or just not getting paid.

There's a lot of federal contractors.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

...We're going to get another shutdown and possible debt default, aren't we? :shepicide:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 26, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grouchio posted:

...We're going to get another shutdown and possible debt default, aren't we? :shepicide:

maybe. we might survive october, but depending how the speaker stuff goes it will crash at Christmas.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
As much as I love hyping collapse, doom and gloom and all that, this time I just can't see them going anywhere near as far as they went last time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

AlternateNu posted:

I'm working with the Americorps out in Utah at Bryce Canyon for the next two months and will be really pissed if the gov shuts down since I made a big investment coming here from Pittsburgh and don't want to sit around Cedar City twiddling my thumbs because the Conservation Corps can't do anything since all the great parks here in Utah would be closed :smithicide:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

This is like how their Asian American outreach is actually a thing for expat Wall Streeters living in Hong Kong and Shanghai for work isn't it?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurt_Cobain posted:

As much as I love hyping collapse, doom and gloom and all that, this time I just can't see them going anywhere near as far as they went last time.

With the crying orange gone the House is basically just Mad Max at this point so don't except any sanity. Unfortunately the clowns are now running the circus and for them they don't give a hot gently caress if the US defaults.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I still remember Louie Gohmert ranting about how if we just make bond payments (while leaving other things like medicare unfunded) it totally isn't a default and everything will be fine. But if we do default and the economy shits the bed it is all Obama's fault.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
A default would essentially be the end for the GOP since once all those rich donors see their fortunes fly away in the wind it's game over. It's hard to take your money and flee when entire world economy is destroyed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Are China or Russia poised to strike if this happens? As in, is that when they heavily market their own combined reserve currency as an alternative to the repeatedly on the precipice dollar?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are China or Russia poised to strike if this happens? As in, is that when they heavily market their own combined reserve currency as an alternative to the repeatedly on the precipice dollar?

The Ruble's in the toilet, the chinese currency isn't freely convertible, the Euro is also pretty hosed. Also the ruble and Chinese money have significant backing from dollars and dollar-denominated instruments.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

China is already going down the toilet and a U.S. default would basically destroy whats left of their economy. Nobodies really poised to "strike" because if we default that's game over for everyone.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

McDowell posted:

They still let people smoke indoors in DC?

As if Boehner would care either way.

So does resigning make him a less shameful boehner, or a more shameful boehner?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Ruble's in the toilet, the chinese currency isn't freely convertible, the Euro is also pretty hosed. Also the ruble and Chinese money have significant backing from dollars and dollar-denominated instruments.

Venom Snake posted:

China is already going down the toilet and a U.S. default would basically destroy whats left of their economy. Nobodies really poised to "strike" because if we default that's game over for everyone.

I guess it's good to be King of Currency. :smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Canada it's your turn. Make us proud you hat.

• Locked thread