Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

From what I recall of my history classes, Christianity gained popular following with the common folk because of it's tenants regarding equal and merciful treatment for all. A religion that cared about it's poor and that a person born in any walk of life could rise in the ranks of was extremely progressive and likable at the time. Most other religions were discriminatory or required a great degree of wealth to get anywhere in their systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Metal Meltdown posted:

From what I recall of my history classes, Christianity gained popular following with the common folk because of it's tenants regarding equal and merciful treatment for all. A religion that cared about it's poor and that a person born in any walk of life could rise in the ranks of was extremely progressive and likable at the time. Most other religions were discriminatory or required a great degree of wealth to get anywhere in their systems.

It didn't hurt that Norse beliefs were big on good things for warriors in the afterlife and meh things for those who didn't die in glorious combat. In contrast anyone can get a sweet afterlife deal with Christianity, the only catch is you have to ask Jesus. And that guy just can't say no.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And when barbarian northmen converted to Christianity, they didn't abandon their willingness to commit violence, they only had to take extra steps to justify the violence to their souls.

Also, this chapter was an extremely explicit criticism of a trope of history, where peace leads to stagnation and technological advances are driven by warfare. In this story, Hild was a one-of-a-kind genius: not only was she brilliant, but her talents were fostered by far-sighted people. 10th century Europe could have been fertile ground for her innovations. Labour-saving machinery would have been readily adopted during this time period, while populations were still low and labour was in short supply.

A more vulgar story would have had Hild saving her village with her inventions: her brand of technological violence would have won out over poorer technology. But it was not to be, these advances were ended by violence, before they could improve the lives of people.

Bloodshed does not sweep away the old growth to allow young saplings to take root, it destroys everything and poisons the soil. Imagine if the Mongols had not burned the workshops of Song China or the libraries of Baghdad. Imagine if the Silk Road could have opened from east to west without the destruction of the great trading cities along the way. Imagine if Japan had not scoured Joseon Korea from Busan to Pyongyang, and had taken their craftsmen as friends, and not slaves. Imagine if the conquistadors had not burned the Aztec codices, and Tycho Brahe could sit down with their priests as colleagues. Imagine if the poets of London and Berlin had not choked to death in the trenches.

Violence is never essential for advancing humanity.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 26, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Violence is never essential for advancing humanity.

Violence and war results in stagnation of practical inventions and human ingenuity, but wide-scale war lead to massive improvements in infrastructure and trade and any technology with a semblance of usefulness to murdering the poo poo out of people you hate.

It's hard to say there's a net balance when you consider the cost of human suffering, but until the black plague Europe was fairly overpopulated relative to its ability to produce food without advanced farming techniques. The three field system didn't even take over until the late medieval age. Prior to that the moneyed elite didn't really give a poo poo if they could see long term gains from a new method because their only concern was with fielding troops for the wars and buying the newest arms and armor for their knights. Plus civil wars were super common for centuries so ten years later you could have an entirely new class of landlords who prior to that had no experience running a fiefdom.

It's amazing how often titles and lands changed hands from 1000-1400. One of my favorite descriptions of nobility was from a movie about the kids of insanely wealthy families, and one of the them was going to inherit the titles of a Duke, Margrave, and Count, and he said it was all meaningless because all it meant was a few hundred years ago his ancestor killed someone the king hated and the king went "Okay, these titles are yours now".

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

have any series finished the last year? i always lose track of ongoing series...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

pentyne posted:

It's amazing how often titles and lands changed hands from 1000-1400. One of my favorite descriptions of nobility was from a movie about the kids of insanely wealthy families, and one of the them was going to inherit the titles of a Duke, Margrave, and Count, and he said it was all meaningless because all it meant was a few hundred years ago his ancestor killed someone the king hated and the king went "Okay, these titles are yours now".

Try to not think about it too hard because this is still one of the main driving forces behind who owns what in the modern day. And then you're an anarchist/communist and people don't like that.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So it sounds like the local sawmill or whatnot decided to eliminate the competition, what with the raid being explicitly intended to kill Hrafnkell.

Which means that Hild is the reason her village was destroyed and her family murdered. Which she probably feels guilty about.

Kind of wonder if Thorfinn has made the connection between his killing of Hrafnkell and Askeladd killing Thors. Especially since in both cases it was because Askeladd was paid to kill a specific person.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

One day we'll get that wily Floki.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

pentyne posted:

Violence and war results in stagnation of practical inventions and human ingenuity, but wide-scale war lead to massive improvements in infrastructure and trade and any technology with a semblance of usefulness to murdering the poo poo out of people you hate.
That's still not violence leading to progress. That's just an eddy of order in the torrent of entropy. And it's facilitated by the fact that violence is so limited and controlled and mono-directional in states that can employ violence on such a scale.

You're looking at the wrong side of the conflict. In this chapter Askeladd's mercenaries have done something that will get them paid. Their lives are improved. Their little mercenary base-towns will have more resources to improve their lives in many ways. The ability for violence to profit the victors has never been in doubt.

That's not the issue here. The sadly novel observation is how much better peace would have been.

That's the best thing about Vinland Saga now. "Violence is bad" is a really, really basic uncontroversial position to take. But this story is doing a fantastic job walking us through it- looking at how it happens, what it does to us, and what we can do about it. And it's really incredibly well done. The story drags us so far down into the pain and guilt of it... Thorfinn's determination to break out of the cycle is something the reader ends up really invested in.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I am posting in the VEGETA subforum: Otoyome 48

:siren:MAXIMUM OVERDOKI:siren:

next chapter is not pariya lol, Mori is a monster

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I am posting in the VEGETA subforum: Otoyome 48

:siren:MAXIMUM OVERDOKI:siren:

next chapter is not pariya lol, Mori is a monster

I love everyone getting excited over the mad abacus skillz on display. And the extreme amounts of :kimchi:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I love everyone getting excited over the mad abacus skillz on display. And the extreme amounts of :kimchi:

It really emphasizes how skills now accepted as mandatory in first world countries for 10 year olds is considered insanely skilled in a almost-feudal clan based society.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pentyne posted:

It really emphasizes how skills now accepted as mandatory in first world countries for 10 year olds is considered insanely skilled in a almost-feudal clan based society.

It should be noted that if he's actually good with that abacus he can calculate much faster than most people can do off the top of their head or on paper. He's not only multiplying the prices, he's summing them into a running total at the same time. Before the invention of the electronic calculator, speedy mathematical operations required tools such as an abacus or slide rule that the general public didn't necessarily know how to use even when multiplication was widely taught to primary schoolers .

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Pure mental calculators are still faster. But they might use an imaginary abacus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_abacus
Recently (last week) I've been practising my mental calculation and I've been surprised at how quickly I've actually improved at it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i forgot how much kid thorfinn was a nihilist prick

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I thought that slave girl would have become an actual character alongside Thorfinn, but he tossed her aside like it was nothing.

Askeladd ruins everything he touches.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Askeladd is the best character in the series by a country mile.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Thorkell is a close second fursonally.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pewdiepie posted:

I agree with you, mr. pewds.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter of Vinland Saga - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Vol-016-Ch-119--The-Hunter-and-the-Hunted--006-?id=239832

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah drat, knife in the ear made me cringe super loving hard :gonk:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I had forgotten how edgy Linkin Park Thorfinn was.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

new vinland and ad astra

were so close to Cannae.... so close.......

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crossbae

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Star Wars Vinland Saga chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vinland-Saga/Vol-016-Ch-120--The-Hunter-and-the-Hunted--007-?id=242479

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Oh no, Hild didn't take momentum into account.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hild owns so much.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
That is one lovingly-detailed crossbow.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The only reason we're being given her backstory is so that it'll be even more sad when she dies two chapters from now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It would be bad to do that, so it ain't happening.

The whole flashback is her remembering all the times people told her to forgive.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If we're getting her full flashback story like this, then by One Piece logic she's definitely going to join the crew.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

DrSunshine posted:

If we're getting her full flashback story like this, then by One Piece logic she's definitely going to join the crew.

This seems like a solid argument to me.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sharkopath posted:

It would be bad to do that, so it ain't happening.

The whole flashback is her remembering all the times people told her to forgive.

It seems to be more about letting the rage go. All the forgiving talk is couched in not letting hate and anger take over.

5 chapters from some Jomsvikings showing up with lightsabers.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Track record of people who got full flashback stories in Vinland Saga:

1. Thors - Died

2. Askeladd - Died

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

she's going to join the crew and go to vinland with all our friends

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

she's going to join the crew and go to vinland with all our friends

shes going to constantinople and is gonna learn a lot

Plutonis