Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm a Hispanic guy in a black neighborhood. It would be more out of the norm to see more than 2-3 white people a day near my house.

It was 50/50 if you'd troll with this or "I'm a white guy and all my friends are racial minorities."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I used to be a 911 dispatcher and this is absolutely a valid reason to call. People driving the wrong way get other people killed and are frequently impaired.

As for people leaving the scene of a crime in a car the plate is helpful but a vehicle description, subject description and direction of travel is enough to send cops, and the dispatcher would've prompted you for that info.

But just like cops dispatchers vary wildly in quality, tied to the quality of the agency they work for. Bad agency=bad cops/dispatchers.

My cousin was a 911 dispatcher in my town for over a year, he has since moved on to a bigger metro area. According to him, everyday they would receive a call from the same lonely old woman who would talk to them for 20 minutes about whether or not she had a bowel movement that day and she didn't know if she needed to call her doctor or not. I know PT6A is a troll in this thread but I wouldn't say he wasted 911's time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm not a troll in this thread or any other, thank you very much.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm pretty sure calling someone who disagrees with you a troll is more the behavior of a troll than disagreeing with someone.

So, ya know, pot, kettle, etc.

(PT6A I don't think you're a troll either.)

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
So this week my mother in law drove the 350 miles home (all motorway, a journey she's done 10 times now), and somehow managed to end up taking a 150 mile detour - literally without knowing how she managed it. At all.
For the benefit of the UK members she was driving York - Plymouth but ended up on the London side of Milton Keynes. At some point she went from driving South-West to almost due East and just kept on going. Unbelievable :cripes:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

inkjet_lakes posted:

So this week my mother in law drove the 350 miles home (all motorway, a journey she's done 10 times now), and somehow managed to end up taking a 150 mile detour - literally without knowing how she managed it. At all.
For the benefit of the UK members she was driving York - Plymouth but ended up on the London side of Milton Keynes. At some point she went from driving South-West to almost due East and just kept on going. Unbelievable :cripes:

Preferred Route : Scenic [X]

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Geography not her strong point then... Impressive.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had some coworkers driving from Champaign, IL to Peoria, IL drive half way to Chicago one time. During the drive, you take I-74 west to Bloomington, then transition to taking I-74 west to Peoria. There is an offramp in Bloomington that you need to take to continue going down the road you were already driving. If you miss this ramp, I-74 turns into I-55 north with no notice.

Of course, there was probably alcohol involved, so they didn't realize until they drove like an hour in the wrong direction.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

inkjet_lakes posted:

Hitting Milton Keynes when on that route just means she was going down the M1 route rather than the M62-M6 to get down to the M5 and she missed the M69/M6 turn off to leave the M1 and kept going straight on and hit Milton Keynes.

She could have turned round and gone back and made it a much shorter diversion.

To be fair 'the SW' isnt signposted from the M1 like you might expect it to be. I've ended up doing a couple of journeys from Sheffield to Bristol recently and there is some crappy signposting getting across from the M1 to the M5, despite this being a fairly sensible route when you look at it on a map/satnav

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Once during college when driving from Dallas to College Station I drove south on I-45 and missed my exit at Madisonville, US-190, and just kept going until I reached Huntsville. Added 30 miles and 30 minutes to the drive.

Another time I was driving East from Dallas to go to a funeral in Magnolia, AR (southwest Arkansas, just north of the Louisiana border) and somehow I missed the exit for US 82 west from Texarkana. I was in Hope before I noticed something was wrong. Added an hour to the drive.

I am the people you share a road with.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 25, 2015

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Long ago two friends attempted to return home to Maine (Brunswick area, I think) from the Boston area. They ended up somewhere in Vermont before they realized they weren't going in the right direction. I don't know how this was accomplished and I wish I knew, because on the rare occasions I remember this it becomes more and more impressive a fuckup.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
On a road trip with a friend years ago had something not too dissimilar go down. Was driving from Maine to Florida, and I did from Maine to past NYC in one go. After that shitshow I was pretty exhausted and let my friend drive as I pass out. I woke up as we were entering loving Hershey, PA.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 25, 2015

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

The Mandingo posted:

Another time I was driving West from Dallas to go to a funeral in Magnolia, AR (southwest Arkansas, just north of the Louisiana border) and somehow I missed the exit for US 82 west from Texarkana. I was in Hope before I noticed something was wrong. Added an hour to the drive.

I am the people you share a road with.

Whenever I drive west from Dallas I end up in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I almost ended up in Columbus Ohio one time driving from Lima to Akron... didn't notice I was heading south until I saw the signs for Delaware. I'd missed the turnoff at the US 30 / US 23 junction, I was on mental autopilot and there's absolutely no frame of reference out there in the flat farmland.

Did I mention this was while I was driving a bus full of passengers? I was able to hook a left onto I-71and head north, they still got to their banquet 10 minutes before it started and nobody brought it up to me. $20 tip at the end of the night, too.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 25, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

foozwak posted:

Long ago two friends attempted to return home to Maine (Brunswick area, I think) from the Boston area. They ended up somewhere in Vermont before they realized they weren't going in the right direction. I don't know how this was accomplished and I wish I knew, because on the rare occasions I remember this it becomes more and more impressive a fuckup.

The only way I can see this happening is if they took 93 to 89 and followed it all the way through NH into VT. To do that they would have had to miss the exit for 95 and then driven up the wrong highway for more than an hour and a half. That's amazing.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Bicyclist in my lane? Oh, I'll just throw on my blinker and change lanes right now without looking.

And that is how I almost had a Prius as a new front fender.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I think we've found winners for the worst people on earth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TR4iBC_iaw

two mercedes drivers close a road for 40 minutes because they refuse to give way to each other in a single lane tunnel

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

two mercedes drivers close a road for 40 minutes because they refuse to give way to each other in a single lane tunnel

...and the reason why the old dude refused to give was is ASTOUNDING

he wasn't able to actually reverse the car safely! Dude's a danger, she was a twat. Nobody wins.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A meeting of the two stereotypical types of Mercedes-Benz drivers. It was bound to happen at some point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Don't they have signs there indicating who has the right of way in these cases?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Eat the rich.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't they have signs there indicating who has the right of way in these cases?

Yes and I'm betting she has right of way which is why she's not moving. Old fella physically can't reverse because he's old/dangerous behind the wheel hence stand off.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

88h88 posted:

...and the reason why the old dude refused to give was is ASTOUNDING

he wasn't able to actually reverse the car safely! Dude's a danger, she was a twat. Nobody wins.

I honestly hope that a large safe is dropped on both their heads.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The woman, if she had the right of way, might have saved someone's life by being a stubborn twat. If she had simply given way, this old gently caress who is physically unable to operate a car safely would not have been identified until such time as he confuses the brake and the gas and mows down a farmer's market. Hopefully now, this man's driver's license can be revoked and his Mercedes can be crushed into a cube.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

PenisMonkey posted:

Whenever I drive west from Dallas I end up in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Yeah, I don't even know cardinal directions.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

The woman, if she had the right of way, might have saved someone's life by being a stubborn twat. If she had simply given way, this old gently caress who is physically unable to operate a car safely would not have been identified until such time as he confuses the brake and the gas and mows down a farmer's market. Hopefully now, this man's driver's license can be revoked and his Mercedes can be crushed into a cube with him inside it.

There we go, that's better.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's funny, I've learned to not let internet poo poo get to me but I'm absolutely outraged by that video, it's hilarious. Like I'm sitting here wishing I was there so I could just yank one or both of them out of their car and back it up myself. Easy enough to unlock a convertible when the top's down, I'm tall and have long arms.

Laughing at myself right now because holy christ. Delaying yourself a half hour just because you are still wanting to go first! What's the loving point of going first if not to gain a time advantage! blarrahghaaghg!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

It's funny, I've learned to not let internet poo poo get to me but I'm absolutely outraged by that video, it's hilarious. Like I'm sitting here wishing I was there so I could just yank one or both of them out of their car and back it up myself. Easy enough to unlock a convertible when the top's down, I'm tall and have long arms.

Laughing at myself right now because holy christ. Delaying yourself a half hour just because you are still wanting to go first! What's the loving point of going first if not to gain a time advantage! blarrahghaaghg!

Because without rules we'd have anarchy. I support this brave, stupid woman for standing against the tide of morons who can't follow the rules.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The fact that an incident like that lasted as long as it did astounds me. Maybe I'm not rich enough to not understand what the gently caress is going on, but I'd just throw it in reverse and let the other person through. No skin off my nose.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
With a shovel someone could slowly start filling that convertible with soil and see if that got a reaction out of her.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

The fact that an incident like that lasted as long as it did astounds me. Maybe I'm not rich enough to not understand what the gently caress is going on, but I'd just throw it in reverse and let the other person through. No skin off my nose.

This is not 'nam, this is bowling driving; there are rules!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Those brits are far too polite, Americans would have called the cops after about 2 minutes and started bashing the car at about 5.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Out of all the people in both of those long lines during this excruciatingly long wait, nobody called the cops? They're obstructing the road, if one or both can't handle that intersection give them a ride to the station and impound the car, they obviously shouldn't be driving. Is this one of those collective madness things and everyone just temporarily lost the ability to reason? Were the cops also stuck in traffic?

Maybe it would have been easier to Noriega them out by having everyone play this song as loud as possible on their phones while standing next to the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMnfD5IJHA

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Out of all the people in both of those long lines during this excruciatingly long wait, nobody called the cops? They're obstructing the road, if one or both can't handle that intersection give them a ride to the station and impound the car, they obviously shouldn't be driving. Is this one of those collective madness things and everyone just temporarily lost the ability to reason? Were the cops also stuck in traffic?

Maybe it would have been easier to Noriega them out by having everyone play this song as loud as possible on their phones while standing next to the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMnfD5IJHA

Save a little time by using this instead. Worked wonderfully to get my old boss to keep his office door closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUTaegkIQFM

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It just reminds me of the time I was following two guys through my very own neighborhood, which has a residential 25mph speed limit. So the first guy was doing 25 and the second guy was riding his rear end REAL HARD because he desperately wanted to speed through this neighborhood where children play and people live. So as the lead guy turns at his street, he flips the second guy off. Now suddenly 2nd guy slams on his brakes, throws it in reverse, and almost backs into me because for some reason HE'S NO LONGER IN A HURRY, NOW HE HAS TIME TO FIGHT AN OLD GUY. I basically blocked him and really enjoyed laying on my horn. He looked so confused, because now he was the guy who was holding up traffic which just 5 seconds prior was really pissing him off for some stupid reason. He got out, tried to yell at the old guy, and then got back in his truck and took off at way too high a speed.

People are fundamentally broken inside.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Bicyclist in my lane? Oh, I'll just throw on my blinker and change lanes right now without looking.

And that is how I almost had a Prius as a new front fender.

At least they used the blinker, that's a behavior I have never seen in a Prius driver before.

e: How is someone "physically unable" to reverse?

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 26, 2015

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
People did call the police during that video, but they didn't show up in time. Seems normal for a big city for response times to bullshit calls to take forever.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Had a pretty hilariously tragic experience a few days ago while cycling. We have this rule here that is on a road that isn't a major road, (i.e there is a sign telling you it is a major road) you have give way to people coming from your right.
This is a rule that people are so bad at following that it's insane. It's the simplest of rules, yet the hardest for people to remember.

Anyway, I stopped at a crossroad for a car coming from my right. She doesn't understand why I stopped, and a few seconds later 2 retards in cars blow past me (with not much room to spare) and a cyclist comes flying past me on my right. Can't do much but laugh.

Second stupid thing that happens all the time is when there is a red light on the bicycle lanes crossing streets, and there a lot of cyclists on the path. The logical, common sense think to do is to stop in line on the correct side in the lane, right? Wrong. Apparently what you do is bunch up at the front and block the the cyclists coming from the opposite side.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I'm the people you share the road with.

I hit what I hope to God was a coyote on my motorcycle.

Well, not really with my motorcycle, pretty much with my left boot and shifter.

Except for a bent shifter, it looks like the bike is fine. My left foot however, is not so much. I will probably have to tear my boot apart to get my boot off.

I'm sitting waiting in a church parking lot for a cop to talk to me in case I actually hit somebody's poor loving dog.

The fact that I couldn't find the coyote anywhere, hopefully the little fucker is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hitting animals is always lovely, but unless there was something you could have done to avoid the accident, it's not your fault. Further, responsible pet owners don't let their pets get into the road, so if it was someone's pet, again, unless you weren't paying attention or something, it's at least as much their fault as it is your own. Hopefully whatever you hit isn't dead and can heal up properly.