Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet.

Or people who haven't murdered you yet. Either way it pays to be polite.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Chiche, gathering red titles wherever you go. Good luck with the insurance.

In other strange moto findings.

Pulled the pulsar cover on the ZRX to install a 4 degree advancer...only to find...a 4 degree advancer.

On a bike with no mods what-so-ever, an advancer usually only used with at least some hop-ups.

Going to split my fork tubes today, who knows, maybe I'll find some Racetech fat person springs in there!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Chichevache posted:

humor whoever bought it.

Forensic text analysis indicates that the culprit misspells seize, and based on recent related posts, that would be Sir Marxalot.

I was going to warn you about this almost certain outcome, because I've done the same silly thing with similarly shattered faith in humanity. However, far be it from me to interfere with the birth of a capital punishment advocate.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

My poor, broken DRZ was either stolen or towed. It was in East Palo Alto, so probably the former.

aaaa fucker. I'm not even an hour from you. I could have brought the wrangler over and thrown it in the back.

a blown drz *will* fit, did it once, twice wouldn't matter.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Marv Hushman posted:

Forensic text analysis indicates that the culprit misspells seize, and based on recent related posts, that would be Sir Marxalot.

I was going to warn you about this almost certain outcome, because I've done the same silly thing with similarly shattered faith in humanity. However, far be it from me to interfere with the birth of a capital punishment advocate.

Nope, I'm about to drop all of my savings on a new pickup truck and I'd like to have some spending money left for the weekend.

And I'd have gone with a picture of a wrecked DRZ :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
CAA owns. I've used them twice so far to jump a dead battery. Haven't needed a tow from them yet, but I have the card of a place that will from the time my tube blew out on the way home from a remote work location.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I switched back to the stock exhaust on the DR350. The Arrow slip on was just loud. It didn't even sound good, just tinny and sharp. Hopefully it will run less lean too, but I'll have to check the plug after some serious test riding.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Certified Good Dude gnarlycharlie helped me get that rearset bolt out and put the left riser plate on. It wasn't stuck that badly, the head was just too stripped to turn at all. Thanks again dude! It's all set for the last trackday of the season now!

e: oh yeah and I rode with the new bulb during dusk for the first time. Good stuff. The reflector could definitely use replacing for the sake of evenness, but it's bright enough that I wasn't bothered by my mirrored visor. It also helps TONS with standing out during sunrise/sunset, because it's not yellow and doesn't blend in with the sky so much.

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 25, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That bike is now 95% perfect so you're on track for a dropped valve or a snapped cam chain around December.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'd say it still has like 30% to go because the front (stiffer-than-stock) gsxr springs are like a jackhammer for me, so I'm good for at least a few months!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

That bike is now 95% perfect so you're on track for a dropped valve or a snapped cam chain around December.

Rude.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
Changed my oil, and found out that I hosed up when I rebuilt my engine.

I did what the old guy at the Ducati shop said; broke it in like new bike for 500km, changed oil at 1000km. I had braced myself expecting the worst, a big fat plume of metal shavings on the drain plug magnet.

Whelp, not too many metal shavings, so at least my bike isn't eating itself from the inside like it was a couple months ago. Here's what I found:

I'm about 90% sure it's a little roller thingy from one of my shift forks:

I just sold my car, and the SUMO's all I got for the next month or two. I understand that this could damage my transmission if I don't take care of it. I plan to crack it open again when I have another vehicle.

For now though, I'm more worried about an insta-death scenario, like my transmission locking up when I'm on the freeway with a big truck behind me. Anybody know if my bike's going to kill me?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I guess that depends on the finer points of your gearbox's geometry - what the chances are of the selector fork slipping out of the drum groove, selecting a gear in addition to whatever gear you want and un-clutchably locking your rear wheel at the worst possible time, leading to your self-induced death?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

perfect. I know where to get the cylinders bored and heads ported.

M42 posted:

I'd say it still has like 30% to go because the front (stiffer-than-stock) gsxr springs are like a jackhammer for me, so I'm good for at least a few months!
If you do the research and figure out what springs you need, I'll help you install them and get your suspension sorted out as best as I can.
I'm not a suspension god like VonDari was... but I'm capable.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 25, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

perfect. I know where to get the cylinders bored and heads ported.

If you do the research and figure out what springs you need, I'll help you install them and get your suspension sorted out as best as I can.
I'm not a suspension god like VonDari was... but I'm capable.

M42- buy this man beer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

builds character posted:

M42- buy this man beer.

Ha, she's already bought me a 6 pack ;)
And brings me coffee...
We're good.

On a shittier note, after she stopped by to get that sorted, I decided to check out why my VFR800 isn't charging.

gently caress.

Super gently caress.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's what they should call the vfr. The vtr is the superhawk and the vfr is the superfuck.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I decided to check out why my VFR800 isn't charging.

...But you already knew.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ha, she's already bought me a 6 pack ;)
And brings me coffee...
We're good.

On a shittier note, after she stopped by to get that sorted, I decided to check out why my VFR800 isn't charging.

gently caress.

Super gently caress.

Right click>Save As... "next time someone slags off italian electrics.jpg"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bucephalus posted:

...But you already knew.

I knew as soon as it happened. I could smell it.
I didn't say I wanted to diagnose what the problem was. I just wanted to check it out and see how many things melted this time.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah but if I had a dollar for every time I've had to replace the MAIN BATTERY CABLES on a 999 I'd be able to buy my VFR a new rectifier.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just remember, a lot of Ducati guys recommend those lovely Honda electricals as better quality upgrades for the factory Ducati charging components. :v:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Not sure if it's related but there was a wiring recall on the VFR800. Might want to check into that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

shhhhhhhh little drz, everything will be juuuust fiiiine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

cursedshitbox posted:

shhhhhhhh little drz, everything will be juuuust fiiiine.

Because it isn't chiche's

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

Slavvy posted:

I guess that depends on the finer points of your gearbox's geometry - what the chances are of the selector fork slipping out of the drum groove, selecting a gear in addition to whatever gear you want and un-clutchably locking your rear wheel at the worst possible time, leading to your self-induced death?

I'm also worried about whether there's enough wiggle-room without the roller to do exactly that. So far it's been a month, so I it's possible that there is zero danger, but it's also possible that I'm rolling the dice every time I shift gears.

The only thing I noticed that's out of the orinary is my neutral sometimes stays on, or flickers in first and second gear. Other than that, no symptoms. No trouble shifting, no false neutrals, nothing out of the ordinary.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I pulled the headlights off to see what the hell was wrong with them, since I can't tell if the high beam is on or not in the daytime. I can't tell if it's on at night, either, honestly, unless I can see the reflection in something.

I baked the assembly, got it apart, and saw that both reflector lenses were black. I took them off, and the insides of both reflectors were straight black. I cleaned them and the lenses, and now everything is shiny!

I also found three of four mounting screws for the high beam reflector rattling around in the bottom of the housing. I had to take the mounting plate completely out to put the reflector screws back in, so I'm gonna have a fun time trying to re-aim the thing.

After all is said and done, though, this thing uses HB3/HB4 bulbs, which are 500lm nominal; not even up to "DRL/AUX light" levels. With both lights on, I'm looking at about half of one modern car's single headlight. I bought some LED turn signals at Tractor Supply that say they're 380lm each, ffs. I think an LED upgrade is in my future if I can figure out whether or not it's possible to PWM cheapo LED headlight replacement bulbs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Took off the fairings, tank and carbs. List of PO fuckery now includes:

Missing RH triple clamp bolt
Missing front carb intake clamp
Missing rear carb intake clamp screw
Totally loose rear cam cover leaking oil everywhere

No wonder it runs like poo poo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Because it isn't chiche's

Lol.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

How'd it go with insurance?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

How'd it go with insurance?

Still in the process of resolving it. :shrug: If they give me what the bike is worth I should be able to pick up the Tiger 1050 I've been dreaming of. :getin:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Still in the process of resolving it. :shrug: If they give me what the bike is worth I should be able to pick up the Tiger 1050 I've been dreaming of. :getin:

RIP gentle goonbike

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

RIP gentle goonbike

:smith::hf::smith:
I wanted to keep that bike forever, it was so fun. I won't miss its gremlins though. Hopefully a Tiger 1050 will be more reliable, and of course it will be more comfortable.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

:smith::hf::smith:
I wanted to keep that bike forever, it was so fun. I won't miss its gremlins though.

Mine is a KTM in yellow clothing.

Little fucker.

Its my fault though. I can't leave well enough alone

44t sprocket arrived for the sm wheels. Now I can get those put on.
Serviced the air filter to find out it was taking a poo poo. so I ordered another and a longer shift lever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Continued to tear down the 650 and the list is growing:

Clutch pivot pinch bolt: missing.
Rear header gasket: destroyed.

But best (worst) of all: the front sprocket nut was finger tight!

I've never had a genuinely brutal PO before (I know it was him because he told me he replaced the front sprocket), the worst I've ever had to deal with was bikes that were just casually neglected. This guy seems like he actively got in there and decided to take things apart with no rhyme or reason, lose/break a bunch of poo poo putting it back together and then just shrugged his shoulders and put it together anyway. It's quite remarkable and I feel like I'm finally getting to experience what other people on the internet are always talking about.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Po idiocy like that is infuriating. Did you at least get a good deal on it?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I just read about the DRZ casualty. smh so hard

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Po idiocy like that is infuriating. Did you at least get a good deal on it?

I got it for about a third of the normal market value for that bike with that mileage in not-broken condition so I'm doing ok yeah.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, but it sounds like it's missing 2/3 of the parts.

Please check everything on that deathtrap and don't die. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm in the process of taking the engine out and apart so no worries on that front :)

Somehow, every single fairing fastener (and there are a LOT on a hyoshit for some reason) is present and still factory.