Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Literally Kermit posted:

StarCraft is a good game though? :confused:

The other SC.

No, not Soul Calibur.

No not Sim City either. C'mon, you know, the spacey SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The other SC.

No, not Soul Calibur.

No not Sim City either. C'mon, you know, the spacey SC.

Yeah, Sonic Colors was great.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SimCopter was the best.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Are we talking about Super Contra?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No, Space Chem. :colbert:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Honest question: are there any VR technologies out there right now that work well with Elite Dangerous? Or is "wait for the consumer Oculus Rift in Q1 2016" still the suggested course of action?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Rift DK2 works with elite, but just wait for the consumer version or HTC vive IMO

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Siets posted:

Honest question: are there any VR technologies out there right now that work well with Elite Dangerous? Or is "wait for the consumer Oculus Rift in Q1 2016" still the suggested course of action?

HTC Vive seems to be the way to go seeing as FDev officially support it and have dropped Oculus

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I definitely had the impression that the new Cobra would be free, like instead of a lovely Sidewinder. That sucks.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It probably won't be that expensive, the MK III is only 300,000 space bucks.

That's chump change even to brand new players, probably a few days to a week or two playing depending on how "dedicated" you're feeling.

e: if that actually, my knowledge of the newbie experience is pretty dated by now.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 25, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hezzy posted:

HTC Vive seems to be the way to go seeing as FDev officially support it and have dropped Oculus

Wait what? I haven't followed this game closely in a while, when did this happen? I remember them mentioning vive support, but when did they say they're going to drop rift?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hezzy posted:

Truga posted:

Wait what? I haven't followed this game closely in a while, when did this happen? I remember them mentioning vive support, but when did they say they're going to drop rift?

I think he's talking about how Frontier has dropped Oculus support until Oculus gets their API in order. It does seem telling though that right now Elite: Dangerous and Valve and the HTC Vive are ultra-buddies at the game show that is happening right now. Almost like Elite is the poster child spacegame for the Vive like EvE: Valkyrie is for the Rift.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
HTC and Valve are tight because Valve is paying them to make the Vive. I'm pretty sure FDev is just mentioning the Vive specifically because it's supposed to be launching this year/at least sometime before Occulus next year. I'm very sure they will support both formats, please don't buy VR hardware until you have read consumer unit reviews.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They haven't dropped Occulus, I think they were just having trouble getting SDK 0.7 to work with Cobra so they advised players not to upgrade.

Post about it here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have no idea what is happening when and how much it will cost to which people anymore

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RubberJohnny posted:

Weren't Beta players supposed to get a second free ship after the starting Eagle, or did they give us that? I haven't played since Powerplay, although that's mostly because Witcher/Batman/Metal Gear/GTA are loving massive and have backlogged the rest of my Steam library up.

The other free ship they promised to everyone who got the Mercenary Edition pre-launch is still missing yes.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

tooterfish posted:

They haven't dropped Occulus, I think they were just having trouble getting SDK 0.7 to work with Cobra so they advised players not to upgrade.

Post about it here.

I can't remember where O read it but I got the distinct impression that FDev won't be actively supporting Oculus because of the difficulty in getting it to work. They also seem to be very close to HTC and their Vive product, there is probably some kind of contract between them given that the EGX event going on right now is a massive advertisement and publicity stunt for Vive.

It seems very much that Elite will be Vive's flagship game when it is released in December, at the same time as Horizons. Which is incidentally when the finished version of the Vive support will be added to the game.

Given how slowly development is on this game, I doubt they will be diverting resources to develop stronger Oculus support when they have officially endorsed Vive as their VR headset of choice

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Slow? Heh, initial Occulus support was put in days after a backer asked for it. It was literally:

"hey do you support Occulus Rift?"

"no what's that?"

/2 days

"okay you can use your Rift now"

Rift support got them a lot of good press early on during the alpha/beta stages, I can't imagine them just unceremoniously ditching it. It might not be worth the time to keep up with iterations of the dev versions, but I'm pretty sure the release version will be fully supported.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I would bet when VR headsets are launched and the software side is more complete if you can get your game to work with one it isn't that difficult to make it work with the other. It greatly behooves VR manufacturers to make their hardware easy to work with.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GaylordButts posted:

HTC and Valve are tight because Valve is paying them to make the Vive. I'm pretty sure FDev is just mentioning the Vive specifically because it's supposed to be launching this year/at least sometime before Occulus next year. I'm very sure they will support both formats, please don't buy VR hardware until you have read consumer unit reviews.

Yeah I know that but right now at EGX Frontier and Valve are real close with the Vive and Elite. Using the game as a VR demo, giant banners with their names on it, that stuff.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

FDEV will support both VIVE and OR (they have committed to do so in the past).

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

KakerMix posted:

Yeah I know that but right now at EGX Frontier and Valve are real close with the Vive and Elite. Using the game as a VR demo, giant banners with their names on it, that stuff.

Elite is one of the very few AAA games that has released and makes good use of VR already, and is rather spectacular & pretty looking. Also probably less likely to make you sick because of being sat in a chair. I would imagine that anyone making VR tech is throwing money at :frontear: to promote them and make sure E:D works with their headsets, and they are equally happy to take it. Everyone wins! Hopefully.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I have no idea what is happening when and how much it will cost to which people anymore

You and me both. It's basically Microsoft volume licensing levels of WTF-ery.

I have the lifetime pass thing from being in the beta, so should get everything, but I see they stopped selling that a week or so *before* announcing a lot of cool stuff, so can only assume it's rewarding the 'faithful'.

Tell you what though - £5 to have Braben's epic jawline 'bobbling' on your cockpit would be considered an absolute pisstake in any sane universe. But then we live in a universe were Star Citizen 'exists', so who knows...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:frontear:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

I am more than willing to try and discover new metalloids by exposing things to the gas emitted by MY ARSE.

Plz bring gold. 'Ordinary' gold will suffice. Have a mug. :ughh:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
https://youtu.be/S6QdY6YDfj0?t=26

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if an Adder-based taxi service can spring into existence with multicrew.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

xiansi posted:

I am more than willing to try and discover new metalloids by exposing things to the gas emitted by MY ARSE.

Plz bring gold. 'Ordinary' gold will suffice. Have a mug. :ughh:

Hutton Mugs were the last new rare trade commodity creating event. This one should be galvanized gold or whatever it is with their ocean vents.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Golden hutton mugs, duh

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Any good routes for this? I might take a break from mining in my T7 and run a couple loops if there's a good one.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

OB_Juan posted:

I wonder if an Adder-based taxi service can spring into existence with multicrew.

Why ride in an Adder when you can ride in a space limo?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Alehkhs posted:

Any good routes for this? I might take a break from mining in my T7 and run a couple loops if there's a good one.

It was quite heavily camped when I went and it's 400+ ly out in the sticks.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hey I apologise if this has been asked a few times but honestly, from someone who has played EVE a lot, and liked the stealth/exploration aspect of that game, is E:D worth picking up? Like is the exploration actually engaging? On top of that how much depth does the game have? I heard it was quite a grindy title until you get the stuff you want and then it picks up. Also how well does the game work for someone using a joystick?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Joystick is, in most people's opinions, the preferred way to play.

As for how engaging exploration is, it depends. To sum it up in the most basic way possible exploration is simply jumping into a new system honking your horn (discovery scanner), and then either scanning everything in the system or opening the map and picking and choosing promising looking (terraforming candidates, earthlikes, etc) planets in the system, then moving on to the next one. There isn't a ton too it, and it gets repetitive mechanically. Its kinda just sightseeing really.

The game can be rather grindy if your goal is nothing but bigger and better ships. However, it doesn't take too much effort to get some decent low-mid-range ships, including basic exploration-suitable ships.The biggest cost is the 1.5mil for the advanced exploration scanner which has an unlimited detection range.

The game is a bit lacking in long-term stuff to do, but if you're ok with making your own fun in a space sim sandbox you'll probably get your money's worth out of the current sale price.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Like is the exploration actually engaging?

It's basically a screensaver.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SkySteak posted:

Hey I apologise if this has been asked a few times but honestly, from someone who has played EVE a lot, and liked the stealth/exploration aspect of that game, is E:D worth picking up? Like is the exploration actually engaging? On top of that how much depth does the game have? I heard it was quite a grindy title until you get the stuff you want and then it picks up. Also how well does the game work for someone using a joystick?

Eve is too much, Elite is too little. But Elite doesn't have a monthly sub so I don't feel compelled to stick it out and log in all the time to update skill training.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I hope that with multicrew + fighters meaning that people can fly fighters off your deck, you can be a giant dickhole to your fighter pilots by manuvering wildly when they're attempting to land

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Insert name here posted:

I hope that with multicrew + fighters meaning that people can fly fighters off your deck, you can be a giant dickhole to your fighter pilots by manuvering wildly when they're attempting to land

I hope you can buy a space bulldozer to push crashed snubfighters off your carrier deck

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Now that you'll be able to actually launch smaller ships and the orca is supposed to be a passenger ship, it should be the ship that specializes in a huge number of stored ships. It's a big dumb elephant surrounded by angry, tiny bees.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I hope you can buy a space bulldozer to push crashed snubfighters off your carrier deck

That's the other game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's basically a screensaver.

flying through space to be exact

with luck we'll get that 3d landscape generator with horizons and someday we might even get windows 3d maze!

• Locked thread