Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Almost as if a football stadium makes it near impossible to apply proper responsible service of alcohol procedures and thus shouldn't be a licensed venue. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Hey having spent time in both Miami is way shittier than perth

Yeah but at least the Cubans and Puerto Ricans make for some nice food culture.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just another notch in Australia's violence against women belt.

I've been absolutely loving smashed at the footy before and felt no need to incite violence. Some people are just genuine shitheads. That dude should appropriately be banned for life imo.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

Almost as if a football stadium makes it near impossible to apply proper responsible service of alcohol procedures and thus shouldn't be a licensed venue. Weird.

Subi only serves mid strengths

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

Just another notch in Australia's violence against women belt.

I've been absolutely loving smashed at the footy before and felt no need to incite violence. Some people are just genuine shitheads.

And not everyone on ice stabs someone in the neck but poorly controlled alcohol consumption is a contributing factor to violent behaviour, and was almost certainly a factor in this case

Attitudes to women are certainly another but thankfully prime minister Malcolm Turnbull is going to fix that with $100M.

The idea of your admission fee entitling you to act however the gently caress you want is another.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Subi only serves mid strengths

You can still get drunk on midstrengths with frequent toilet breaks/a catheter.

I've seen enough drunk people at midstrength venues that I don't think all of them were sneaking flasks in.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Alternatively you could just use a licensed venues responsibility to eject intoxicated patrons a lot better and proactively(before people start throwing punches ideally), but that would require some form of good security management so good luck.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

The Deadly Hume posted:

To be fair West Coast are pretty good at that sort of thing too. Which is a bit different to how they've won their previous flags.

EDIT: Assuming they don't pull the choke of the century against Norf tomorrow.

Yeah I love the way West Coast plays, too. I just mean I'm not against a team winning three-in-a-row when they do it so well.

Testekill posted:

Just do this

There are QLD and WA versions of this floating around.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Windmill Hut posted:

Has anyone mentioned the weather forecast for next week..? Suggesting it could be in the top 5 hottest grand finals ever, temperature 28+. Love it. Grand Final Day BBQs are probably my favourite event of the year.

A couple of mates kicked off a new tradition last GF day where we do a bit of tailgating inside the car park at the G and then go off to where ever we're going to watch the game.

The only reason it happened was because two of my mates are MCC members and had to line up at like 6am last year so one decided to bring his little wagon in that he goes down the coast in so they could hang out after they got their seats. So I met up with them for a little while and seriously, being in and around the MCG on GF morning, especially when it's sunny and warm, is the best fun. Everyone is in a killer mood, there are beers, BBQ and music everywhere.

We had so much fun we've decided we're going to start doing it regardless of who is playing in the game.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

gabensraum posted:

Yeah I love the way West Coast plays, too. I just mean I'm not against a team winning three-in-a-row when they do it so well.

There are QLD and WA versions of this floating around.

Where? I was looking for the WA one a while back.

Edit:

pkid posted:

A couple of mates kicked off a new tradition last GF day where we do a bit of tailgating inside the car park at the G and then go off to where ever we're going to watch the game.

The only reason it happened was because two of my mates are MCC members and had to line up at like 6am last year so one decided to bring his little wagon in that he goes down the coast in so they could hang out after they got their seats. So I met up with them for a little while and seriously, being in and around the MCG on GF morning, especially when it's sunny and warm, is the best fun. Everyone is in a killer mood, there are beers, BBQ and music everywhere.

We had so much fun we've decided we're going to start doing it regardless of who is playing in the game.

Yeah, I've been to one for the five GFs we've made since '08. Perfect start to the day.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drat, having never actually been to a GF of any stripe before (actually, I think I went to a Brumbies Super Rugby grand final in the early 2000s) my plan was to just treat it like a normal game. Get food on the way - maybe grab Brunch in Hawthorn on the way in.
Worth noting, all my plans are totally dependant on the Eagles making it. So CARN WEAGLES. loving SOAR.

But if there's a bunch of stuff going on around the grounds that'd be just loving ideal.

Moving on, Adelaide you may have an issue coming up. The Brumbies are investigating a series of financial dealings between 2009-2013.
Andrew Fagan was the Brumbies CEO at this time.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Auspol thread OPs tend to have them but this month it is kittencam so vOv

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I still can't believe we are giving jake melksham 4 years. Please for the love of god let Essendon play hardball and make the trade fall apart

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I was lucky to be in a Broome pub when the 2007 grand final was on because I was so bored of geelong smashing port that I literally walked across the road at half time and laid down on the beautiful cable beach and had a drunk nap.

If Norf somehow get up tonight, you're all in for a similar white wash grand final next week. (I'll probably have killed myself by this point so I won't have to be subjected to such boredom)

So in other words, it's in your best interest to go for the Eagles tonight yeahhhhhhhh!

Remember to celebrate Eagles goals responsibly and don't punch any women

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

snaeksikn posted:

Yeah freo are definitely pinning a lot on Taberner at the moment. He looks good in patches but seemed to be too lightly built. Also he was pretty bad last night.

I'm happy to give Taberner a few more seasons to prove him self, he shows glimpses of good form, but just isn't consistent enough at the moment. He's 197cm and 89kg, so he needs to put on 10 more kg's to get to Pav's weight while still being taller. There is also Michael Apeness (pronounced App-ness) who's 201cm 99kg, so already a big boy, but whose had injury problems this year that have basically ruled him out of getting any decent WAFL time to make a claim for a shot in the AFL side.

Contrary to what happened at St Kilda under Lyon's reign there is a fair bit of youth knocking at the door for selection, where I think next year you'll see the likes of Mazungu, C. Pearce, Suban, De Boer getting dropped for smarter/better skilled young players coming through. And we've got a decent succession of ruckmen with Sandi going for another year, Griffen and Clarke as backups, and Jack Hannath also coming up behind those two, with Apeness/Taberner able to pinch hit.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
The '07 final was dull. I learned to juggle in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spedman posted:

And we've got a decent succession of ruckmen with Sandi going for another year, Griffen and Clarke as backups, and Jack Hannath also coming up behind those two, with Apeness/Taberner able to pinch hit.

The thing that makes the current Eagles ruckmen so good is that one is pretty much a dominant ruckman (who can also, in a pinch, do things he really shouldn't by the laws of physics be able to do) and one guy who is genuinely a second ruckman/serviceable forward.

Griffen and Clarke just don't strike me as being as good as Sinclair which is a shame because Sandi is definitely right up there with NicNat as far as "being a ruckman" goes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A nice rundown on the season on ABC 774 today, funny team names, and how surprising the results were as they happened.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ewe2 posted:

A nice rundown on the season on ABC 774 today, funny team names, and how surprising the results were as they happened.

If you like listening to Chris Connolly for four hours straight

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Schlesische posted:

The thing that makes the current Eagles ruckmen so good is that one is pretty much a dominant ruckman (who can also, in a pinch, do things he really shouldn't by the laws of physics be able to do) and one guy who is genuinely a second ruckman/serviceable forward.

Griffen and Clarke just don't strike me as being as good as Sinclair which is a shame because Sandi is definitely right up there with NicNat as far as "being a ruckman" goes.

I think Griffen and Clarke (when not injured/badly out of form, as they were most of the year) are just as good as Sinclair, or any other non-superstar ruckman in the league. Last night Griffen was coming off a decent hamstring injury and did some really good things, which he's capable of doing pretty much every game he gets picked for.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Clarke is poo poo but might get better as he gets older, griffin is a legit good ruck and would be holding down no 1 spot if Sandilands hadn't made it back from his toe issues a few years ago

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 26, 2015

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Freos back line looked garbage last night which is a bigger concern imo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SEN has reported that the Bulldogs & Saints are both keen on Aaron Young from Port.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spedman posted:

I think Griffen and Clarke (when not injured/badly out of form, as they were most of the year) are just as good as Sinclair, or any other non-superstar ruckman in the league. Last night Griffen was coming off a decent hamstring injury and did some really good things, which he's capable of doing pretty much every game he gets picked for.

My point was more that given the choice, if you already had a no1 Ruckman, you'd pick Sinclair over Griffen or Clarke because Sinclair offers so much more than either of them.
Griffen will likely evolve into the no1 ruckman Freo's going to need after Sandy and he should be reasonable at that.

snaeksikn posted:

If Pavlich and McPharlin both go Freo is going to have fun with Key Positions as well.

EDIT: only just saw this

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 26, 2015

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Testekill posted:

SEN has reported that the Bulldogs & Saints are both keen on Aaron Young from Port.

Looks pretty bloody average to me. Bear in mind though that SEN regularly reports absolute garbage.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

The smaller/mid sized backs are still young and improving, Ibbotson has had a good year, Johnson is getting slower and less flexible, Dawson is pretty much a liability now, Silvagni is a second/thrid bakcman and pretty run of the mill, MacPharlin is gone, while Alex Pearce has been the shining light for the future down there.

I think our small mids will be okay for the future, I'm not so sure about KPDs though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Schlesische posted:

My point was more that given the choice, if you already had a no1 Ruckman, you'd pick Sinclair over Griffen or Clarke because Sinclair offers so much more than either of them.
Griffen will likely evolve into the no1 ruckman Freo's going to need after Sandy and he should be reasonable at that.

To be honest, I haven't watched a heap of Eagles games this year, but from what I have seen of Sinclair he hasn't really stood out in a game to seem a better player Griffen, I'm probably wrong though.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You're definitely wrong, he's come leaps and bounds and has had some really solid games in the 2nd half of the season.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Sinclair could learn to kick straight in front of goal though

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Schlesische posted:

Sandi is definitely right up there with NicNat as far as "being a ruckman" goes.

I don't think either of them are as good as their supreme physical gifts should allow them to be, though Naitanui still has plenty of time to change that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

I still can't believe we are giving jake melksham 4 years. Please for the love of god let Essendon play hardball and make the trade fall apart

I'd say Dodoro has got your back.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I enjoyed Geelong wreaking havoc in 2007.

I actually made the WA version myself back in the day.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Would WA be more or less isolated if we flooded central Australia? At the very least it'd give us some boats that deserved to be stopped.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The ABC are talking about how more money needs to be put into country football but they are ignoring the root causes.

Yes many country football is struggling in many areas and many clubs are strapped for cash, but that is simply because of population loss in the areas that support them. Almost every shire in Victoria beyond the urban fringe has a shrinking and ageing population that struggles to support clubs they once did. That's why you get amalgamations and closures, and it's not something the AFL can address by giving money to make the showers run hot.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I reckon ruck work has sort of developed around Sandi. He's a quantity over quality player imo. I'd much rather NicNat in my side. I'd also say that Sinclair is a better player than Griffen

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Periphery posted:

Would WA be more or less isolated if we flooded central Australia? At the very least it'd give us some boats that deserved to be stopped.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to make WA more isolated than it is

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Deadly Hume posted:

I enjoyed Geelong wreaking havoc in 2007.
Obviously I'm biased but I feel like it could be enjoyed purely on a footballing level. Like it was an insanely good team at the peak of their powers

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Shmoses posted:

I reckon ruck work has sort of developed around Sandi. He's a quantity over quality player imo. I'd much rather NicNat in my side. I'd also say that Sinclair is a better player than Griffen

I suppose the difference with a super tall ruckman vs a high leaper is consistency vs quality. A high leaping ruck can put the ball down the throat of anyone he wants when on song, but an off day they are pretty useless. A super tall ruck basically don't have off days due to their height but aren't as impacting when on song

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

The ABC are talking about how more money needs to be put into country football but they are ignoring the root causes.

There's far too much competition from all sorts of directions for potential players too, that's accelerated the exodus. Having said that, it was a busy day at the QEO today and Strathfieldsaye won woo, but we're relatively lucky in Bendigo, there's a lot of local history that encourages our teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
"THE 24-YEAR-OLD Fremantle supporter who allegedly hit a woman during Friday night's preliminary final has been handed a life ban at Domain Stadium."

Good. Into the bin.

• Locked thread