Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Jintor posted:

Why bother? He already had to been straitjacketed in front of the entire world at the sports festival when he won
The last time Bakugou and Deku ran a physical test together, Bakugou tried to kill Deku.

I'm guessing a repeat of that incident would be a slight degree more serious than Bakugou comically flipping out after being denied his chance at an unsullied victory in a fighting tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm almost wondering if this isn't a "Honeypot" scheme designed to put Bakugou's bad behavior on display in front of the entire faculty.

They're teachers: they'd be trying to fix his problems, not just point them out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, but my thinking was they might be trying to prove it's a problem in the first place. Perhaps the others know Bakugou has an attitude problem, but they don't realize how deep it goes.

That said, this idea makes less sense the more I think about it since they already established in the first volume that teachers have the freedom and authority to expel whoever they feel like; and even if they didn't, faculty-relations seem healthy enough that the principal would probably just accept his staff's suggestion that one student be kicked out for causing problems.

Forget I mentioned it unless it somehow turns out I'm right, in which case hail me as Nostradamus.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 26, 2015

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Clarste posted:

They're teachers: they'd be trying to fix his problems, not just point them out.

^^ Agreeing with this. Right now Bakugou's biggest explicit issue is his beef with Deku. Working in the hero business means possibly teaming up with people who you hate to get the job done. If Bakugou can learn to suck it up and work with Deku instead of turn this into a pissing contest then he has hopes of making it professionally. I'm really excited to see how this goes because Bakugou is a really interesting character to me and seeing him learn to be less of a poo poo is sure to be a wild ride.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mineta not an idiot, classmates amazed.
Book smart, I mean. He still lacks common sense.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Of course shadowbird guy is kind of dumb. His power gets weaker when it's sunny, so it makes perfect sense that he's not that bright.

:v:

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

The last time Bakugou and Deku ran a physical test together, Bakugou tried to kill Deku.

Funny, maybe just because Bakugou is designated good guy (at the moment), I've just never thought of him as actually trying to kill Deku

it's just amplified bullying (just...), especially since Bakugou knows Deku can take massive damage

(obvs still a problem)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

See, I've seen instances of bullying nearly come to that in real life, so I'm not inclined to give Bakugou the benefit of the doubt here.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, yeah, people might think that it's cheating, but it still makes zero sense. When you say "when he shouldn't have" the use of "shouldn't" there makes no sense. A person being born with a quirk isn't randomly more deserving of it than a person who is given the quirk (especially when you take into account that aspects of quirks can be hereditary, so parents are often giving their quirks to their children, in a sense.

While not a perfect analogy, people shame/judge others for breast implants and plastic surgery all the time because they weren't born with that beauty. I would've gone with a "natural born athlete vs steroid user" comparison but that one isn't as good since steroids have negative side effects from normal use (at least, much more so than cosmetic surgery).

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

See, I've seen instances of bullying nearly come to that in real life, so I'm not inclined to give Bakugou the benefit of the doubt here.

well, i think we can agree that he should Quit It

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

For Real.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Jintor posted:

Funny, maybe just because Bakugou is designated good guy (at the moment), I've just never thought of him as actually trying to kill Deku

it's just amplified bullying (just...), especially since Bakugou knows Deku can take massive damage

(obvs still a problem)

Considering what Bakugou himself was saying, it'd be a really forseeable accident.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
There's a difference between attitude problems and being a cruel bully rear end in a top hat just to be a cruel bully rear end in a top hat and, although he certainly got a bit more fleshed out since then, Bakugou did tell Deku to kill himself if he's so miserable without a Quirk all the way back in Chapter 1 and that kind of makes him pretty goddamn deplorable. It's not like he improved a whole lot since then, either.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not saying this excuses him, but you guys seem to be forgetting or ignoring that Bakugou has an absolutely massive inferiority complex and we've been literally shown why he has such animosity toward Deku. He's not being a dick for its own sake.

Most of the time.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 26, 2015

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i'm just saying while he's a deplorable little shitheel most of the time I don't think he literally wants to kill deku. or perhaps to put it better, he doesn't want to murder deku, he just wants to beat him

a lot

with his explosions

/edit i don't know why but for half a second i thought of him as liquid snake

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, Midnight's going to be a rough matchup for whoever she's up against. I mean, what are they even expected to do against her other than fall asleep in seconds? 13 also seems like an... unusual candidate for a training scenario. You have to work pretty hard to find a non-lethal combat application for loving miniature black holes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

Man, Midnight's going to be a rough matchup for whoever she's up against

Mineta :)

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I'm blanking on the names of some of the teachers. I obviously know Eraserhead, Midnight, All Might, the Principal and 13, and I vaguely remember Gunslinger guy and Constructo-dude, but who are the rest again?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Not saying this excuses him, but you guys seem to be forgetting or ignoring that Bakugou has an absolutely massive inferiority complex and we've been literally shown why he has such animosity toward Deku. He's not being a dick for its own sake.

Most of the time.

With Midoriya I think he hates the idea that he's always had this amazing quirk and either hid it or had it manifest late while having a better heroic attitude than him. The people he hates are all the ones who aren't willing to go 100% in a donnybrook with him, and he even respected Ochako after he realized she came up with that plan in their fight all by herself.

Jintor posted:

I'm blanking on the names of some of the teachers. I obviously know Eraserhead, Midnight, All Might, the Principal and 13, and I vaguely remember Gunslinger guy and Constructo-dude, but who are the rest again?

I don't think they ever got names. The cowboy shooty one is from the oneshot, Mr. Positive, but he could have a different name in this one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

chumbler posted:

Not saying this excuses him, but you guys seem to be forgetting or ignoring that Bakugou has an absolutely massive inferiority complex and we've been literally shown why he has such animosity toward Deku.
Understanding a character, sympathizing with a character, and condoning a character's actions are all separate things.

I understand why Bakugou does the things he does. He isn't a mystery. None of that in any way makes him less wretched as a human being.

We've had this conversation before. Bakugou is a good character but a terrible person.

Jintor posted:

i'm just saying while he's a deplorable little shitheel most of the time I don't think he literally wants to kill deku. or perhaps to put it better, he doesn't want to murder deku, he just wants to beat him

a lot

with his explosions
See, my issue with this is it's basically splitting hairs.

Like, in literal terms, sure, Bakugou probably doesn't want to actually murder any of his classmates. I don't believe his goal has ever been to "Kill" Deku in the sense that I don't believe he's ever gotten out of bed and decided "Today I will kill Deku" and hatched a plan, or anything.

What he has done, however, is let his emotions get the better of him while indulging in violent behavior. Furthermore, thanks to his volatile quirk, his capacity for destruction is much higher than the average person's. He hospitalized Deku and Recovery Girl said his injuries were beyond her ability to heal quickly and seamlessly. In the heat of the moment Bakugou could've easily killed him. With a power like his there are plenty of things that might've gone wrong. Even if Deku staved off death, Bakugou could still potentially leave him crippled for life. Not to mention a beating like that could leave a person psychologically traumatized.

Anyway, when I say Bakugou tried to kill him, that's what I'm talking about. Not in a cold, calculated way, but in a way that actively endangered his classmate's life because he couldn't get a grip.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Oh okay. Then I agree entirely.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Not that I disagree with the premise that Bakugou's a jerk, but didn't Deku deal most of that damage to himself? I feel like Bakugou's quirk is standard manga-explosions, which can't actually cause serious damage to anyone for no particular reason. It's considered less dangerous than a sword, for example.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I thought one of the teachers might be the Cooking Hero briefly seen in an early chapter, but nope. All three unnamed heroes have been seen before in the USJ rescue panel though - the dog-type, the helmet-type and the... other helmet type.

God I can't wait for the next chapter

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Woops, wrong thread.

Eej fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 26, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

I 100% honestly hope it's Bakugou who scores whatever win condition they have to meet against All Might.

Though it just occurred to me that it might end up being the case that All Might's power unexpectedly cuts out just before Bakugou lands the winning hit and he accidentally kills All Might. That would be one hell of a blow to Bakugou.
I think it'll be something like that but not nearly as serious. Discovering his weakness but without killing him or anything like that.

If only because All Might is still my favorite character in this series and for him to get the kibosh would suck

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think for Yaoyorozu, it boils down to "do her creations stop working when her quirk does". Because if she can find a window where she's not being looked at, (break LoS, have Todoroki demand his attention instead, hell, Todoroki has any of a million ways where he could interfere with Aizawa's sight from mist to snow to prismatic ice blocks with a high level of refraction) there's nothing really stopping her from making something that she can keep using once she's being looked at again. I think she made an M134 a generic looking cannon in an earlier chapter? Maybe? That's going to be quite potent.
In general, Aizawa has the perfect ability for this test. Assuming that Yaoyorozu and Todoroki properly work together, he can only ever shut down one of their abilities for this test. He's perfect for testing the two generically strongest/smartest students working together in order to overcome him. This is of course, not to say the fight will be easy even if they properly work together. Aizawa knows the limits of his quirk and has had an entire career to learn how to work around it. Fundamentally though, the 2v1 format is disadvantageous to him.

I'm kind of interested to see how they set up the other 8 fights.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

By the way, what's Class B President Kendou's quirk? I forgot.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Jintor posted:

Unknown at this point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jintor posted:

I don't think it's been shown yet, actually.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jintor posted:

As noted before in this thread, it apparently lets her make her fists really big.

Who knows what else.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

She ended up interning with Momo, right? She's been pretty cool the few times she's popped up. I'm really in awe of the way this mangaka juggles characters, the whole class and beyond always feels like distinct people every time they pop up even though it'd be so tempting to just focus on the mains.

Though I'd like to meet more support and managment kids if possible

/edit I bought the trades today and am rereading some stuff, so if you're interested in some trivia: Gunslinger/Positive (?) is a 3rd-year homeroom teacher (not sure about the translation actually), and there's some silver-haired lady on the Volume 5 dust cover who is the 2nd-year Class 3 teacher (doesn't seem to be Midnight as far as I can tell, so an unknown hero I guess?)

Jintor fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 26, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's funny that Best Jeanist was completely unsuccessful at changing Bakugou even one iota.

I don't know about him ever heel-turning now; he seems like the kind of person who would be disgusted at working with villains even if he was an rear end in a top hat himself. Him being brought into the All-Might secret club and realizing the enormity of what Midoriya has signed up for would be interesting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Walrus posted:

Man, Midnight's going to be a rough matchup for whoever she's up against. I mean, what are they even expected to do against her other than fall asleep in seconds? 13 also seems like an... unusual candidate for a training scenario. You have to work pretty hard to find a non-lethal combat application for loving miniature black holes.

I kind of hope they don't have Uravity go against him since they mostly just cancel each other out.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Horikoshi doesn't devote at least one full chapter to Principal Beardogmouse's fight, I shall be deeply disappointed.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

That said, this idea makes less sense the more I think about it since they already established in the first volume that teachers have the freedom and authority to expel whoever they feel like; and even if they didn't, faculty-relations seem healthy enough that the principal would probably just accept his staff's suggestion that one student be kicked out for causing problems.
I'll give Horikoshi credit for being more thoughtful about his story than a lot of other authors would be, but I think that's overthinking it. Pretty sure this is just straight up one of those "learn to work with people you dislike" exercises. All Might is the perfect opponent for them because not even Bakugou would consider him an opponent he can take on singlehandedly.

But more broadly, I think they'd be reluctant to expel him because he has an exceptionally powerful & destructive quirk. If this were a regular school manga, he'd be the prodigy with behavioral issues.Turning around someone like that seems like the kind of thing an educator lives for. He's an rear end in a top hat with a rapidly growing superiority complex, but he's also intelligent and at least aspiring to heroics whatever his other failings. If they boot him out there's like a 99% chance he becomes another Stain.

(They could still go that route, but I'm kinda hoping the plot avoids it. There's more potential in it than just revolving around another Naruto/Sasuke dichotomy.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

It's funny that Best Jeanist was completely unsuccessful at changing Bakugou even one iota.

Not enough time.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
My only guess for matchups right now is that I think the concrete man is going to face off against Aishido and Kaminari, because both of them have severe issues controlling their power outputs and he's the only one who could probably take a full hit from either and walk away fine.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I'll give Horikoshi credit for being more thoughtful about his story than a lot of other authors would be, but I think that's overthinking it.
Probably.

I'm alright about delving into things that have already happened but terrible at predicting them before they occur. I think it's more fun to throw out dumb theories that get shot down than say nothing though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think we'll get a full chapter for every teacher's fight, but I do kind of expect that aside from All Might vs Deku and Bakugou, the Aizawa vs Todoroki and Momo might also get a full chapter since that got a bit of focus in this chapter. The rest may be spread out over a chapter or two.

Mouse principal had better get a full chapter, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi digs his fast pacing but this is one of those things where I'd really like to see more shown.

Ah well. Maybe anime filler.