Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Chickencheese, blowjob chili, Emerald City, hand salad, ICSA Roadkill, Axe cocktails...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

No reason it can't be that way again. To me it just seems that GWS has become largely just a chat / Q+A type of place. Not as much 'performance' goin around.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

A lot of effortposters got fed up during Whirled Peas, and a lot more are fed up with the white noise influx, not to mention getting grownup jobs and married and kids and poo poo that keep them from reading the forums all day. There aren't any more fun mod challenges, or callouts, ICSA is dead, and any new thread gets run into the ground within two pages. Of course not every new poster is an unfunny rear end in a top hat, but no one wants to contribute anything if they're just going to get poo poo on, and thread gassed instead of moderated.

Bart should be challenging poo poo posters to make a 5-course michelada meal or get banned from posting in GWS.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
gently caress - your entry was epic...

It was the right mixture of dirty kitchen, awesome food and drugs all over the place that I still remember it - it was so loving tarnished, like being stabbed in the eye with a rusty needle.

Edit: Was for rambling vagrant

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 26, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

Chickencheese, blowjob chili, Emerald City, hand salad, ICSA Roadkill, Axe cocktails...

Onion paper broth, ishootfriendlies sous vide internet expert, pepitonoooooo, tunaaspic, pf wins at science buys a pacojet....

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Poor Pepito......:(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Remember when Squashy became a cricket rancher for an ICSA entry? That was p. lol.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
So what the gently caress are we gonna do about it? ICSA: Preservation?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I called out the gibbis mod but he hasn't responded to my thread yet.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Still gonna make some dank food on Sunday though.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Word up Ken

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Embarrassing Care Post:
So I've been following GWS for 6 or 7 years; I can honestly say that this forum has been the #1 reason that I went from "useless piece of poo poo who can't work a microwave" to "actually a pretty good cook". I know that this forum is ultimately jokemans making jokeposts;that doesn't change the fact that GWS has helped hundreds of worthless goons like myself go from salsa chicken and instant ramen to using advanced techniques(and an understanding of the how and why of those techniques) and impressing friends, bosses, & people I want to sleep with. I even won a NICSA, (which actually did make the front page)! As time went by, I found myself posting here less and less, but up until recently I still read it religiously.
People who say that pretentious culinary elitism can never be funny must not remember the glory days of '09-10, when a bunch of seriously skilled cooks would talk poo poo at each other while doing new, interesting things with food & occasionally stopping to dogpile people who came in with big egos and incorrect opinions. There was a snarky-but-convivial tone to the forum that's been completely washed away: first by the whirled peas purge, now by a bunch of whitenoise posters who have made GWS loving unreadable.
But yeah, keep coddlin' the gbs no-effort brigade while writing paragraphs of abuse at the guy who said "gently caress you" to an obvious troll thread that should have been gassed before it hit the ground.
Ok, having written all these serious words about internet cooking forum drama on my phone, I'ma go kill myself. Bye.

This fuckin guy. On point!

sup ramblin!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Kenning posted:

Remember when Squashy became a cricket rancher for an ICSA entry? That was p. lol.

I tricked a little girl into eating bugs!

Yeah, I miss what GWS was, but I have no suggestions for improvement.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Could do ICSAs again.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Could do ICSAs again.

All the good ones have been done, and nobody participates in them anymore anyway.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We salt pickled those limes a few months ago and I forgot that when we did we put a bunch of cardamom in there. So tonight I go to make a gin and tonic with them and had a really nice surprise. Really nice flavor combination.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

There's no reason we can't have repeats, it's the lack of participation that's the problem.

Edit: although it's also in part why I've won a couple, so I can't complain.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
gently caress it, I'll toxx for my participation in the next (reasonably timed, not too expensive theme) ICSA. Post or banned. Let's do this.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Mr. Wiggles posted:

All the good ones have been done, and nobody participates in them anymore anyway.

icsa icebath happened?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

gently caress it, I'll toxx for my participation in the next (reasonably timed, not too expensive theme) ICSA. Post or banned. Let's do this.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Yes, I too miss the days when this forum was active with great cooks and sillyserious competitions.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
and Mr Wiggles was vegetarian

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Just a thought - why not try to do a NICSA? We've got new blood, and at least some of them claim to have an actual interest in cooking. Or do something in the middle of a regular ICSA and NICSA - only one dish, but open it up to everybody, whether they're previously won or not.

It feels to me like those competitions were the heart of GWS when I started reading it almost a decade ago - a community rallying point, and one that was constantly generating new threads as contestants completed their entries.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've always hated NICSA. People should just jump in at the deep end and go for regular ICSA. NICSA encourages a "them and us" mentality of the sort that validates unfunny chef douchebags being rude to curious but infrequent posters.

I'm aware that this is a minority view.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, but sadly, both of these statements still hold true:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The first one is easy, press the reset button, and BLAMMO, we start ICSA2. Hell, maybe even mix up the format, we could try more of a "Chopped"-style baskets of ingredients. No reason we can't re-invigorate the competition.

Second one is a much harder nut to crack... not sure what to suggest.

Scientastic posted:

There's no reason we can't have repeats, it's the lack of participation that's the problem.

Edit: although it's also in part why I've won a couple, so I can't complain.

Seriously, while my ICSA Bread entry was pretty snazzy, I can't help but feel like Kiteless would have mopped the floor with me.

(like she used to)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

I've always hated NICSA. People should just jump in at the deep end and go for regular ICSA. NICSA encourages a "them and us" mentality of the sort that validates unfunny chef douchebags being rude to curious but infrequent posters.

I don't think I've ever told anyone their food looked like poo poo, most of the time that I'm a 'unfunny chef doucbebag' is when people buy stupid poo poo like garlic presses.

But yes, NICSA is dumb. Just go over the top froo froo, its more fun.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

I don't think I've ever told anyone their food looked like poo poo, most of the time that I'm a 'unfunny chef doucbebag' is when people buy stupid poo poo like garlic presses.

But yes, NICSA is dumb. Just go over the top froo froo, its more fun.

I own a garlic press, I am sorry, but I really like my garlic press. The rationale for me using a garlic press is that it actually gives me mushed garlic, which I don't get when I chop it finely - where I get garlic that is just that - chopped. Pressed garlic is preferable in an aioli to having chopped garlic, in my opinion. Mainly because the flavours mix better - I may be wrong in this, but why the gently caress should you care?

Now why the hell would you go off on someone who owns a garlic press?

How does me owning a garlic press actually make you superior?

Why the gently caress is it that you need to display that idiotic sense of superiority on the internets?

I simply do not get it.

On NICSA:
NICSA is fun, because we are a forum of loving jerks - we're hard to approach, and we don't have an easy way of letting people in. However - when people effort post, they used to be received with respect, not necessarily because of the outcome of what they have done, but rather because they actually made a loving effort. Then sperging out about them owning uni-taskers and not having 15 years of knife skills under their belt is just loving idiotic.

Yeah - I completely get what the GBS crowd is saying, and I actually support their message by now. This is no longer loving fun, it is insular because we're allowing absolutely loving nothing to happen.

I've stopped posting effort posts by now, because there's always idiots sperging about poo poo, because the interest of the newbies simply isn't there anymore, because every loving time they comment they get 'you own a loving garlic press - you must be an idiot' thrown at them.

I have learned that one of the things that keeps my skills fresh and honed is actually approaching the unskilled with interest - they will do new stuff that I don't, because they havn't tried it before, and that new stuff may actually be awesome, and make me see the world in a new way. That being said - of course you chastise someone who fucks it up.... But not over their loving garlic press.

gently caress this.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I own a garlic press too. I hardly use it now. Dice garlic like you dice an onion, then smoosh it with the side of the knife for guaranteed pressed garlic without having to clean out a stupid press, or use 4 cloves to get 3 cloves worth out.
Why the gently caress is everyone picking on cdc? He's not the biggest elitist prick on GWS by any means.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Scientastic posted:

My thought process was more that cooking a three course meal is loving intimidating, as well as a massive time sink if you're making the effort to do it right. One dish, on the other hand, is infinitely more approachable. Even somebody who is an absolute novice can Google up some recipes featuring the theme ingredient, pick one, and then riff on it.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

I own a garlic press, I am sorry, but I really like my garlic press. The rationale for me using a garlic press is that it actually gives me mushed garlic, which I don't get when I chop it finely - where I get garlic that is just that - chopped. Pressed garlic is preferable in an aioli to having chopped garlic, in my opinion. Mainly because the flavours mix better - I may be wrong in this, but why the gently caress should you care?

Now why the hell would you go off on someone who owns a garlic press?

How does me owning a garlic press actually make you superior?

Why the gently caress is it that you need to display that idiotic sense of superiority on the internets?

I simply do not get it.

:agreed:

Never understood it when Alton went off on it on his useless kitchen poo poo episode either. Sure it's pretty much a one trick pony, but it doesn't take up any room and it works a lot better than chopped garlic for some applications imo. Maybe you can get the same effect with chopped if it's a very fine dice but that's not the easiest thing to do for many people and your hands smell afterwards.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I own a garlic press, because although I like to mash garlic with a knife, I know lots of other people (my wife included) don't, and I like to have people helping me in the kitchen.

Because almost everything is better when you are accommodating to the needs/preferences if others and you do things together.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

:agreed:

Never understood it when Alton went off on it on his useless kitchen poo poo episode either. Sure it's pretty much a one trick pony, but it doesn't take up any room and it works a lot better than chopped garlic for some applications imo. Maybe you can get the same effect with chopped if it's a very fine dice but that's not the easiest thing to do for many people and your hands smell afterwards.

just remember that he made this monstrosity for the sole purpose of steaming chicken wings

if that's not a useless kitchen contraption then I don't know what is

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is steaming chicken wings something that people do? I thought they were deep-fried?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steam them for 15 minutes to cook some fat off before transferring to the oven for an hour iirc

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Is steaming chicken wings something that people do? I thought they were deep-fried?

The skin turns out better if you braise or steam them first but it's not really worth it for chicken (it is for duck)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Laminator posted:

just remember that he made this monstrosity for the sole purpose of steaming chicken wings

if that's not a useless kitchen contraption then I don't know what is

You could still steam veggies on that, so...

As for the garlic press, drat you guys should lighten the gently caress up. I can think garlic presses are dumb, I can tell you they're dumb. Get over it, grow some loving thick skin, ignore me, and move on.

e: they're still dumb. Just smash the clove with your knife, and work it back and forth into a paste. Having poor knife skills is not an excuse for owning a thing that just pastes garlic.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The skin turns out better if you braise or steam them first but it's not really worth it for chicken (it is for duck)

Duck also has a lot more connective tissue to break down.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 26, 2015

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

rj54x posted:

My thought process was more that cooking a three course meal is loving intimidating, as well as a massive time sink if you're making the effort to do it right. One dish, on the other hand, is infinitely more approachable. Even somebody who is an absolute novice can Google up some recipes featuring the theme ingredient, pick one, and then riff on it.

This has been my biggest problem. I'm excited for every ICSA and fully intend to participate each time. My wife and I work long hours, so I never have during the week to make anything that amazing. Errands get pushed off until the weekend, so while I can make a nicer dinner, I still don't have enough time for three courses unless of they are all just steamed vegetables or something similar.

Plus, we just can't east that much in one sitting, so a lot of it gets wasted.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

e: they're still dumb. Just smash the clove with your knife, and work it back and forth into a paste. Having poor knife skills is not an excuse for owning a thing that just pastes garlic.

You can think they're dumb. You can call them dumb.

We can read posts like these and think you sound elitist. We can call you elitist.

Most people here aren't professionals. We're just normal people who have fun making our own dinners.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Having poor knife skills is not an excuse for owning a thing that just pastes garlic.

This is why people think you're an insufferable prick.

"Knife skills" is the least important thing that people need to make a good food, but because you are ostensibly good with a kitchen knife, you look down on (and insult) anyone who doesn't have that particular ability honed (haha) to the extent that you do.

To speak hypothetically: If you're looking after the kids all day, and you have half an hour to cook dinner (and you have made the effort to cook from scratch) why the gently caress shouldn't you use a loving garlic crusher to save a few moments? What possible justification could you gave for freeing up both hands to crush garlic manually?

I know from your posting history that you have real difficulty with this concept, but there is more to life than your particular professional kitchen, and you'd be well served to remember that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Geez.

I found my spreadsheet tracking the NICSA: Breakfast that I hosted/organized. It had 53 entries. We get what, 2-4 tops now when we do a regular one?

I'm all for one of these again or just limiting the number of dishes for a regular ICSA. It's intimidating as gently caress to make a 3 course meal when you're not used to making even a single one but are interested in learning.

Lookit all the entries:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dfRMUvVZ1HWp-1Eu3CglB4anczmgu3Da6VxCwnkCcTU/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As for the garlic press, drat you guys should lighten the gently caress up. I can think garlic presses are dumb, I can tell you they're dumb. Get over it, grow some loving thick skin, ignore me, and move on.

An autist in the wild, unable to accept their own advice.

I think just a few posters like you are why a lot of people stay away from this subforum.