Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like that that includes an important point: If medic's eye wasn't damaged in the crash, they would have blinded him in it anyway, to complete the illusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

They all pale in comparison to Mr. Lightning Bolt.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Different from Thunderbolt, huh?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp70p7zL6Ec

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The biggest bullshit is not getting Skullface's gun as an unlock after he dies. Come the gently caress on!

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
do you really want it after huey touched it

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hey hold on

If Man On Fire was a corporeal being, and not just a mental projection

Was the fire whale real too?!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huey probably actually fired the last bullet that exists in that caliber, and the reason you don't get Skullface's gun is because Huey wasted the last possible shot it could ever fire on a man who was already dying and now the R/D team can't research the ammo to make more.

Thanks, Huey.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FutonForensic posted:

Hey hold on

The whale might've been a result of Mantis channeling Venom/Ahab, with the Moby Dick theme and all.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

FutonForensic posted:

Hey hold on

That was Mantis channeling Venom. Mantis has a shrapnel horn just like Venom for that one scene.

Except...if someone else besides the Man on Fire is being channeled by Mantis, how the hell is Col. Kuwabara still moving around? Isn't he basically a zombie without Mantis giving him the psychic juice?

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Nanomachines.

Time traveling nanomachines.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

FutonForensic stands in front of a massive bulletin board, which is covered with pictures of Man on Fire, Mantis, Fire Whale and actual whales. Stricken with epiphany, he hurriedly rearranges the images.

The pictures arrange to form the words "METAL GEAR IS STUPID."

FutonForensic falls to his knees and cries like a little bicth

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Vengarr posted:

That was Mantis channeling Venom. Mantis has a shrapnel horn just like Venom for that one scene.

Except...if someone else besides the Man on Fire is being channeled by Mantis, how the hell is Col. Kuwabara still moving around? Isn't he basically a zombie without Mantis giving him the psychic juice?

Clearly Ahab was controlling Mantis to control the Man on Fire and roast XOF dudes.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

InfinityComplex posted:

do you really want it after huey touched it
I want a mod with playable Huey and his legs make D-Walker noises and every time he gets a headshot he screams "REVENGE!!!"

I would pay money for such a mod.

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
Anyone else notice that if your avatar is black, and you equip the leather jacket, the hand on the fingerless gloves has white skin??? i can only roleplay that venom contracted a strain of the parasite that started bleaching his skin, Michael Jackson style, and that is how th

anyway yeah it seems more like a bug than part of the story

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Chafey posted:

Anyone else notice that if your avatar is black, and you equip the leather jacket, the hand on the fingerless gloves has white skin??? i can only roleplay that venom contracted a strain of the parasite that started bleaching his skin, Michael Jackson style, and that is how th

anyway yeah it seems more like a bug than part of the story
Yeah, it's a bug, the Leather Jacket has the whitest possible skintone because Big Boss's skintone is that. I'm not sure if it can be fixed, it might be an oversight because Naked camo originally gave you a white torso no matter what and they did fix that with a patch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Whenever I play a game with a character creator, I always make the frailest looking old man. Made the Venom reveal hilarious for me. My Venom looked as old as MGS4 Zero.

Dragon Age Origins was great. My "young" prince character looked older than his dad.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
To Venom Snake, Thanks For Everything, "Vic" Boss

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Castor Poe posted:

They all pale in comparison to Mr. Lightning Bolt.

Reminds me of my favourite conversation from Revengeance:

quote:

Kevin: We've confirmed three key captains in Desperado. Their names are all wind-themed. The captain presiding over this coup's called Mistral.
Raiden: Cyborg?
Kevin: Yup. All three've got custom-made bodies. Collectively they're known as the "Winds of Destruction."
Raiden: (snicker) The... what? They all have action figures, too?
Kevin: (heheh) You're one to talk, "Mr. Lightning Bolt."
Raiden: Who told you?
Kevin: Courtney. Now THAT sounds like an action figure.

MGS protagonists are such dorks. :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Revengeance legitimately has the best writing of all the Metal Gear games.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Huey probably actually fired the last bullet that exists in that caliber, and the reason you don't get Skullface's gun is because Huey wasted the last possible shot it could ever fire on a man who was already dying and now the R/D team can't research the ammo to make more.

Thanks, Huey.

Miller had that bullet, and I have plenty of R&D dudes so gently caress Huey :colbert:.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

That comparison picture reminds me, do we see the Nuclear/completely blood-covered-Venom Snake in the game? I don't remember it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No, it was in one of the trailers but doesn't show in-game. Unless there's, like, Super Demon mode or something nobody's unlocked yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah it's me after a bunch of missions.

Alt: After mission 43.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

That comparison picture reminds me, do we see the Nuclear/completely blood-covered-Venom Snake in the game? I don't remember it.

They show off that model after the mission where you have to blow away all your hard-earned mother base buddies, but the scene of him raising his head and going like RAAARRRGGHH amidst various ruins is not in the game anywhere, no.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yes that's what happens to Snake if you get enough demon points. You see it briefly during cutscenes at the end of mission 43 and 46 too.

EDIT: Yeah the scene in the burned village isn't in the game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Raxivace posted:

Doesn't Revengeance, if you accept it, show that this isn't necessarily the case? That entire game has Raiden ultimately not taking Solid Snake's ideals to heart by jumping back into battle and devolving back into "Jack the Ripper" (Even if his violent persona is directed at pretty awful people). Even the War Economy itself still exists and as strong as ever despite the Patriots being gone, with Metal Gears and the like still being made and running around.

I kind of get the feeling that if we kept on getting Metal Gear Rising games, Raiden would only continue to spiral downwards as a character much in the same way Big Boss did (Who is also called both Jack and even "Snake" as Raiden once was).

This signifies his divergence from Solid Snake. He has become his own man but the path he chose begets violence as opposed to peace. He rejects the ideals of The Boss to pick up his sword and continue fighting; losing his mythological status. He's just another cyborg amongst hundreds and everything goes to poo poo around him. The more he kills, the further he descends into madness until he snaps and becomes a new man entirely "Jack the Ripper." He is now a demon, following the path of the other fallen hero/angel, Big Boss.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

This signifies his divergence from Solid Snake. He has become his own man but the path he chose begets violence as opposed to peace. He rejects the ideals of The Boss to pick up his sword and continue fighting; losing his mythological status. He's just another cyborg amongst hundreds and everything goes to poo poo around him. The more he kills, the further he descends into madness until he snaps and becomes a new man entirely "Jack the Ripper." He is now a demon, following the path of the other fallen hero/angel, Big Boss.

But after that he kinda adopts the path of the way cooler hero, Jetstream Sam. Raiden and robot dog otacon then go on to save the world forever.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Megasabin posted:

My brother was telling me yesterday that Venom Snake doesn't exist, and Big Boss and Big Boss just suffered brain damage from the helicopter accident which is making him hallucinate all game.

His basic argument is that one of the themes of the final chapter of the game is "there are no such things as facts, only interpretations". When taken into context that mission 46 points out lots of inconsistencies like "Ocelot takes venom and gets on a ship to the seychelles at 4 am in the original intro, but in mission 46e he gives big boss the motorcycle at 6 am". He also cites all the hallucinations about Paz, and that you have a hallucination about saving Paz, which the medic never did, Snake did.

Is this an actual theory or just my brother being crazy?

This was a few pages back but chapter 0 / 46 aren't necessarily inconsistent about when things happen. Big Boss wakes up and leaves the ambulance before Venom, but then presumably skulks around in the shadows until Venom's been stashed on the whaling ship. In chapter 0 the game cuts away before Venom and Ocelot get to the ship, so Ocelot could easily have met back up with Big Boss before setting sail.

The destroyed bridge from the escape is also in the background when Big Boss meets back up with Ocelot and gets on the motorcycle, so it's pretty clear that part takes place after Ocelot and Venom have escaped the Man on Fire.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

It's a little more complicated than that, those children's brains weren't going to rescue themselves and it's probably for the best Armstrong didn't become president and plunge the US into chaos. A sequel would probably have gone into whether Raiden's means (trails of working class PMC bodies everywhere) justify the ends and if he can keep any type of moral bearing whilst living the life of a hyper violent vigilante.

Also it's worth noting he doesn't 'become' Jack the Ripper, he was from the start, the excuses for his behavior just fall away as the game progresses; he's committing the same violence in the prologue against PMC goons as he is in Colorado when Sam causes his breakdown, he's just confronted with the reality of his actions and his hypocrisy in justifying them. It's a shame we'll probably never get a sequel now because as well as being incredibly fun, MGR's story was bizarrely good and actually contributed something pretty worthwhile to the Metal Gear canon

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Perhaps rather than "becoming" Jack the Ripper I could have said he assumes the mantle. The events of the game push him further and further towards this event but thats not really who he "was" at thbeginning. It's the end of a path he reached after rejecting the peaceful life he had attained at the end of MGS4. Just like Big Boss, killing bad people doesn't mean you aren't also bad. At the end of the game after he has embraced his new self and specifically chosen Big Boss's path he has cut ties with all his friends and support network. He's no longer even a person, simply another weapon in a war without end.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px4VXc5OS7g

So, um, hmmm.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31dsolM10ng

So apparently this is a thing now?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So, MGSV is game that takes hundreds of hours to complete and has potentially infinite replayability... And at the end the game takes away one of your buddies permanently.

Can't help but to commendate Kojima for such a ballsy choice.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think...uh, what was the game where you play as the older dude looking for a cure to save his daughter, does something similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Df38nJo5SQ

Oh yes it is. :haw:

Also I just realized why The Man Who Sold The World has a cover version used in-game, despite the numerous David Bowie references elsewhere. It's another subtle-but-completely-bloody-obvious allusion to Venom Snake's identity.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 26, 2015

Jintor
May 19, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

I think...uh, what was the game where you play as the older dude looking for a cure to save his daughter, does something similar?

surely you're not talking about dead rising 2? i don't recall anything like that. perhaps a different game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fable 2 used exactly the same twist with the dog (though you could wish it back in a needs of the many vs needs of the few choice). Kojima copying from the best :D

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jintor posted:

surely you're not talking about dead rising 2? i don't recall anything like that. perhaps a different game

No, gently caress. It's bugging me now. It was an XBox game and had a sequel recently announced that goons went nuts for. Had a hermaphrodite as a supporting character.

vvvv - That's it! I was thinking Noc for some reason.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 26, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

No, gently caress. It's bugging me now. It was an XBox game and had a sequel recently announced that goons went nuts for. Had a hermaphrodite as a supporting character.

NieR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Perhaps rather than "becoming" Jack the Ripper I could have said he assumes the mantle. The events of the game push him further and further towards this event but thats not really who he "was" at thbeginning. It's the end of a path he reached after rejecting the peaceful life he had attained at the end of MGS4. Just like Big Boss, killing bad people doesn't mean you aren't also bad. At the end of the game after he has embraced his new self and specifically chosen Big Boss's path he has cut ties with all his friends and support network. He's no longer even a person, simply another weapon in a war without end.

Well MGR in general rejected the ending of MGS4, history isn't over because Snake and co turned off a computer and Raiden just can't walk away and ignore his entire life up until present. At the start of the game he's gone back to doing the only thing he knows how and enjoys, but dressed up in well meaning platitudes about 'doing good' and helping the developing world, it's the events of the game which make him confront that he's still butchering people who didn't have a huge amount of choice in their lives by the dozen. 'Jack the Ripper' isn't a monster he becomes, it's his ~true form~ he tries desperately to cover up, that's why Armstrong pounds him so hard for most of their fight and why he gets a second wind when he finally takes up Sam's bloody sword; because he can't admit to himself by beneath all the moral grandstanding and self-justification that he just really likes killing people.

• Locked thread