Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Sayla gets her own custom GM and goes into battle against the Zeon Newtype unit. Her GM is wrecked as she defeats them and she ejects and enters Al Aboa Qu herself intending to confront Gihren. She ends up causing a minor civil war when she reveals her true identity and that throws off the Zeon defenders and forces Kycillia to deal with a Zeonite uprising when she's struggling to consolidate her forces after she kills her bro.

She is therefore also absent from the Lalah battle which occurs during ABA instead.

For those of us going blind into Origin, what happens in the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not that, basically.

Sayla spends A Baoa Qu cleaning up mooks in the G-Fighter along with the rest of the White Base team while Amuro duels Char's Zeong. Her role is considerably expanded in The Origin - in the original, she was pretty much another bridge bunny like Mirai before graduating to become pretty much another second-tier pilot like Kai and Hayato.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 23, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sayla pilots a G-Fighter (or Core Booster in the movie._ She fights alongside the White Base team and enters ABA to find Char and comes across them in time for the end of Char and Amuro's duel. She's a lot more passive. The Origin effectively gives let a lot more to do, puts her Zeon heritage upfront and actually gives her a significant asskicking scene where the Zeon newtype unit actually mistakes her for the legendary Federation newtype ace.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Origin is good. My only problem with it so far is a single bit near the end of the pre-show material where Char happens upon Revil during his "escape" from Zeon, which I felt was unnecessary.

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 23, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

The Origin is good. My only problem with it so far is a single bit near the end of the pre-show material where Char happens upon Revil during his "escape" from Zeon, which I felt was unnecessary.

It's a little forced but I like that it highlights that Char is totally willing to let this horrific bloody war go so he can continue/start his killing sprees.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm way behind on The Origin, but I really like a lot of the subtler changes and new moments. One of my favorites so far is when the White Base crew just happens to be flying over the Nazca Lines, and they wonder about them and what they mean for a few pages.

I wish Gundam had more little moments like these.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I really hope that in Iron Blooded Orphans the other pilots in the MC's merc crew get an assortment of mooks to replace their tanks. The little tanks are neat and all, but I'd love it if the Graze or some other suits could get some good fights in rather than get the usual heroic cannon fodder treatment. I'm pretty sick of all-Gundam hero teams.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

I really hope that in Iron Blooded Orphans the other pilots in the MC's merc crew get an assortment of mooks to replace their tanks. The little tanks are neat and all, but I'd love it if the Graze or some other suits could get some good fights in rather than get the usual heroic cannon fodder treatment. I'm pretty sick of all-Gundam hero teams.

Don't worry dude, it looks like in IBO the definition of a Gundam is gonna be pretty loose

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Don't worry dude, it looks like in IBO the definition of a Gundam is gonna be pretty loose

Those are some dainty hands.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

Wait, is the Guspion using the universal Gundam frame?

Because if so then that is the silliest thing ever. If Biscuit pilots that thing I'll laugh my rear end off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I'm guessing based off the names that there are Gundam units for each of the Solomon keys.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Having read the first four or five volumes of The Origin, I'm pretty disappointed that the OVA is just adapting Char's backstory. Because while the stuff with Zeon building up before the war and the Zaku prototype will probably be interesting, I honestly couldn't care less about Char. I just wanted to see the White Base crew and some Guncannons.

But also because I really wanted to see the Origin GM in motion.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

boom boom boom posted:

chumbler posted:

Those are some dainty hands.

And now I'm having flashbacks to the fight with Fatman from MGS2.

Caros
May 14, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

It's probably supposed to be a pitchfork, but all I'm seeing is a fat mobile suit with a fork as it's emblem.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Caros posted:

It's probably supposed to be a pitchfork, but all I'm seeing is a fat mobile suit with a fork as it's emblem.

"Laugh, and grow fat!"

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Reds posted:

Wait, is the Guspion using the universal Gundam frame?

Because if so then that is the silliest thing ever. If Biscuit pilots that thing I'll laugh my rear end off.

He loving better. It is perfect for him.

quote:

Having read the first four or five volumes of The Origin, I'm pretty disappointed that the OVA is just adapting Char's backstory. Because while the stuff with Zeon building up before the war and the Zaku prototype will probably be interesting, I honestly couldn't care less about Char. I just wanted to see the White Base crew and some Guncannons.

You may not care about Char, Japan does. A lot. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Reds posted:

I hope the tanks stick around and are actually always effective, all the time, because of good tactics, and also that the tanks keep getting upgraded as the show goes on. :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I hope the tanks stick around and are actually always effective, all the time, because of good tactics, and also that the tanks keep getting upgraded as the show goes on. :3:

I hope end-stage for them is Voltron :allears:.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Reds posted:

I'd be incredibly surprised if the rest of The Origin doesn't get adapted at some point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

I'd be incredibly surprised if the rest of The Origin doesn't get adapted at some point.

The Origin is something they can mine away at for years. Ever since Unicorn started they seem to have settled into a pattern of trying out wacky new AUs as the "main" series while releasing a steady flow of UC OVAs to appeal to the UC diehards.

It's basically a safe, guaranteed money sideline for them because it means that even if whatever new main line series they're running flops or performs badly they'll still make a reasonable killing off selling modified versions of existing kits from the current UC OVA.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

You may not care about Char, Japan does. A lot. :v:

Japan cares so much about Char that this is a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0x5rwr0SQ

Kanos posted:

It's basically a safe, guaranteed money sideline for them because it means that even if whatever new main line series they're running flops or performs badly they'll still make a reasonable killing off selling modified versions of existing kits from the current UC OVA.

As a UC diehard, I'm never going to complain if this results in a steady stream of a) early UC OVAs with Unicorn's budget and b) redesigned Origin/REVIVE/MG 2.0 versions of early UC kits, because those are both amazing things.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Japan cares so much about Char that this is a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0x5rwr0SQ

That's not nearly as funny as the last one.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, I really want the tanks to stay, and be actually useful, even if it's not in combat. Like the Silhouette Engines in Overman King Gainer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would say the major problem with The Origin being adapted is that it is really hard to do well. Yas' artwork is fantastic and detailed and his fight scenes are top notch and actually doing them justice would be real hard. They know they've only got one chance at it so they're doing the safe stuff first. Movie budgets for low-combat low-action movies to judge if they can actually justify a budget for it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I would say the major problem with The Origin being adapted is that it is really hard to do well. Yas' artwork is fantastic and detailed and his fight scenes are top notch and actually doing them justice would be real hard. They know they've only got one chance at it so they're doing the safe stuff first. Movie budgets for low-combat low-action movies to judge if they can actually justify a budget for it.

I'd really like to see them handle it the way Yamato 2199 was handled. The entire series was technically an OVA that had multiple episodes screened in theaters at a time, and then once it was over they ran it on TV.

That way they had more runtime than a movie, but without the jankiness of TV-budget animation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

And unlike Yamato 2199, since it's Gundam that method wouldn't make it completely invisible to people outside Japan.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Up to episode 10 of G-Reco, and I'm definitely seeing why so many people complain about the storytelling. It varies between dense and willfully obtuse. It's weird, on one hand I appreciate that I'm not being spoon fed plot via exposition dumps and narration, on the other sometimes I have to rewatch a scene once or twice to make sure I caught every detail with how quickly characters will have a single line or action that makes the next few minutes make no goddamned sense if you miss it.

I'm enjoying it overall so far, but that might be mostly because the MS designs are all so god damned adorable and interesting, plus paired with mostly entertaining fight choreography.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 25, 2015

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Midjack posted:

Cool, I will be ServiceProviderJ on PSN, starting at the very beginning on my Japan PSN account. I messed around a teeny bit right when it came out (cleared the first level Dendrobium fight on my US account) but then I got busy and haven't touched it since. I am backed up pretty badly through this week but maybe we can break some Gundams on the weekend.

I don't have PM's but your psn account doesn't exist according to my ps3 and ps4 :/

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Looks like the BF OVAs have entered production.

Also, here's the BF Turn A custom some of you guys wanted:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

No moustache, no deal.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its almost exactly the regular turn a except with a dumber face

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The head makes it look kind of like a G-Reco MS.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Its almost exactly the regular turn a except with a dumber face

Well yes, that's why it qualified for a P-Bandai kit. The shoulders, face, kneecaps, and front skirt armor were redesigned to be more traditional.

I actually think it does a pretty neat job of making a more standard Turn A, to be honest. Better than Katoki's attempt at any rate.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm thinking about attempting watching all of UC in chronological order again. The furthest I have made it before is CCA. Did 0083 ever get a BD release or is it still just the 2 hour movie that got one? How about ZZ?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pretty much everything UC has a BD release at this point, except 0080 and Victory.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
0083 in 1080p is absolutely ridiculously pretty.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually think it does a pretty neat job of making a more standard Turn A, to be honest.

But that's a terrible thing to do

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

But that's a terrible thing to do

I love it when people mess with an incredible design made by one of history's greatest sci fi artists and make it more standard and ugly, hoo boy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Well yes, that's why it qualified for a P-Bandai kit. The shoulders, face, kneecaps, and front skirt armor were redesigned to be more traditional.

I actually think it does a pretty neat job of making a more standard Turn A, to be honest. Better than Katoki's attempt at any rate.

Basically the entire point of the Turn A's design is that it's non-standard and weird relative to pretty much every other protagonist Gundam while still being recognizable as a protagonist Gundam. Standardizing it by bolting a normal Gundam head on there and giving it blocky shoulder plates and kneepads basically robs the design of a big part of what makes it unique and special.

It would be like giving Leos spiked shoulder pads and gas mask faces because they don't look Zaku enough.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

And?

Like the whole point of Build Fighters is to build whatever you want. I am pretty sure the point of the Wing's design wasn't to sacrifice flight in favor of a stylish half cape, and the Strike certainly wasn't designed to practically be a super robot.

The original Turn A already even showed up in a very good episode, so it's not like this dude's custom is somehow replacing the original design.

• Locked thread