Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shine posted:

I visited Pops today and we dug out that rod and reel. They still look brand new, and still had the practice plug on from when we tested them out in the yard (the only action they ever saw).

The reel is an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6600 C4.
The rod is a Lamiglas Classic Glass CG86MHC, 8'6", 8-20lbs line, 3/8 - 1oz lure.

I vaguely remember how to use this thing. Something about stopping the line with your thumb before your stuff hits the water or it'll insta-birdnest. I'll read up on it.

I'll replace the old line of course, but should I get the reel professionally checked out? I don't see any rust/damage and it's basically unused, but it's been sitting in a garage for like 15 years.

Any suggestions on where to start with this stuff and how big a fish I can target? I'm in Portland OR, so lakes, rivers, channels and the ocean are all nearby. I also take regularish trips to Seattle. I'll actually be near the central Oregon coast for the next few days, so I'll pack this stuff in case there's something I can do out there. I skimmed the ODW's documentation and it mentioned that ~2lbs surfperch are easy to catch from the shore, but my stuff seems to be a bit under the spec they recommend to deal with the waves ("a good starter outfit for surfperch could include a long [9- to 11-foot] rod capable of handling a 2- to 6- ounce weight, and a spinning reel large enough to hold 200-300 yards of 15- to 30-pound monofilament line"). Could I get by?

That's a quality reel. It's most likely just fine. It's not a good reel for surfcasting so I wouldnt bother. I used an Ambassadeur roughly that size for the last 20 years as my primary ocean reel for rockfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Probably wouldn't hurt to get the reel serviced to make sure the grease will still do its job. It'd be a shame if it seizes as soon as it is put under strain or something. Some people here use that reel for tournament casting but they do a lot of mods on it first.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I'm a noob, But I had good sucess this weekend (pictures coming) with a Joe's Flies 1/4 oz black Gnat on the Ammonoosuc River. I got a couple nasty snags, but they were all within feet of the shore and were on roots and not rocks. You can reel it in very slow without sinking more than a foot or two. I hooked 3 Rainbow Trout and got two back in (the third got off the hook just feet form the shore).

That lure looks like it's got to kill half of everything it hits, is the secret just to spot fish it in an area you've already tested the size/species in?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Shine posted:

Any suggestions on where to start with this stuff and how big a fish I can target? I'm in Portland OR, so lakes, rivers, channels and the ocean are all nearby. I also take regularish trips to Seattle. I'll actually be near the central Oregon coast for the next few days, so I'll pack this stuff in case there's something I can do out there. I skimmed the ODW's documentation and it mentioned that ~2lbs surfperch are easy to catch from the shore, but my stuff seems to be a bit under the spec they recommend to deal with the waves ("a good starter outfit for surfperch could include a long [9- to 11-foot] rod capable of handling a 2- to 6- ounce weight, and a spinning reel large enough to hold 200-300 yards of 15- to 30-pound monofilament line"). Could I get by?
Right now surf perch are my unicorn. I know they're out there, I see people putting up pics of limiting out, and I've never even got a nibble.. Basically it sounds as though you either find a school and limit out, or don't find a school and "waste" all afternoon (also bring some lip gloss or something when you fish the salt, your lips will be cracked and sunburnt otherwise after a couple/few hours if you're a white dude like me).. ;)

Your rod is definitely robust enough to fish for anything under a chinook and could handle a small to medium-ish chinook as well (frankly I'd just go for it and if it breaks, well, now you know what you did right and to get a bigger rod LOL). Baitcasters are a bit tricky - you actually want your thumb on the spool THE ENTIRE TIME you cast, the momentum from the spool is what causes it to birdnest, so I'd err on the side of pressing too early and too hard until you get a feel for it.. It does take some practise and finesse, I am intimidated as heck by baitcaster reels because I always used spinning, but when I was out trolling for chinook the other day it was shockingly easy to use them (although to be fair, the entire use was "let the boat keep tension on the rig and ease it out".

You do NOT need a 9-15 foot rod to fish salt, from the beach or anywhere else. I use a 8'6" rod because it's the longest 2 pc I can fit in my car's trunk.

You can even use a small, light rod and tackle to surf fish http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00II7S9HI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_ - unless you get lucky as gently caress and nail a 20-30 lb rockfish you won't notice any difference - and frankly the fish are usually in 6-18 inches of water when you're shore fishing, I've heard more than once, "If the waves are up to your knees the fish are behind you". The hardest part for beach and rock fishing for me in the alst couple years frankly, has been timing things so both the tides and weather are amenable.. If it's too windy your line will be bowed so hard it's impossible to feel a bite, and if the surf is too big you'd need to throw an enormous weight to keep it on the bottom in the sweet spot. I personally just beach fish for fun and hope to one day catch a fish - not holding my breath though LOL! ;)

Honestly I'd say with a 10-20 lb rod you are good to go to fish for whatever you like. There are some techniques for using baitcasters that can't be easily mimicked with spinning reels so you might google around for tips on techniques on using them. I'm planning on getting a baitcaster probably next year to experiment with, I have a 9 foot Ugly Stik with a baitcaster "trigger" handle, and I don't like fishing it with a spinning reel, just feels off to me to hold it upside down although I know plenty of folks who don't give a drat about it.

extra stout posted:

That lure looks like it's got to kill half of everything it hits, is the secret just to spot fish it in an area you've already tested the size/species in?
Actually it doesn't do a lot of damage unless they strike the trailing hook and then the leaqd hook gets stuck in an eye or something while they fight. Rainbows are usually dumb as bricks so it often only involves finding where they're at and then showing up at dawn or dusk - rainbows like to surface feed in half light conditions and they are aggressive as poo poo.

It is a tough lure to remove from a fish sometimes though, and the more I fish the less I like to injure the fish more than necessary. I feel way less bad about a fish getting mouth and gill hooked by a multi-hook spinner though, than I do about gut-hooking a fish that inhales my hook and bait 4 inches into its innards. DFW says they can sruvive but it always makes me cringe.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 20, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Surf perch are pretty common around docks of any sort. They love verticle structure. Santa Cruz small boat harbor use to be filled with them when I was fishing there 20 years ago.

Best bait was pile worms from mussel beds. We would take a watered down mixture of 1:10 bleach saltwater and spray the mussels with them, wait a minute and the worms would come wiggling out. Amazing bait live but they do bite.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

extra stout posted:

I took it out again this morning and caught two more rainbows (pics and trip report coming). I c&r'd these two.

Typically the fish just hit the trouble. One of the rainbows i kept last week did get hooked in the eye which i felt awful about. If one i didnt plan on keeping did get eye hooked id keep it for sure. I may just end up cutting that top hook off to help mitigate extra damage to the fishies.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I just got the mystery tackle box thing for 4.99. I am pretty excited about forgetting I ordered it, and then being surprised with it. I don't plan on keeping the subscription, I feel like I would rather spend 15 dollars a month on lures I would like to fish with.

I still haven't caught a fish yet, but I am out there every other day, if not every day. I think I have to get to the river early in the morning. I notice no one is fishing until the sun starts to go down, but even then it seems that the past week or so everyone has been going home skunked.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

lemonslol posted:

I just got the mystery tackle box thing for 4.99. I am pretty excited about forgetting I ordered it, and then being surprised with it. I don't plan on keeping the subscription, I feel like I would rather spend 15 dollars a month on lures I would like to fish with.

I still haven't caught a fish yet, but I am out there every other day, if not every day. I think I have to get to the river early in the morning. I notice no one is fishing until the sun starts to go down, but even then it seems that the past week or so everyone has been going home skunked.
What are you fishing for, and where? I checked your posts iTT but it doesn't mention anything but "the river"..? Depending on what you're fishing for "when the minnows are jumping" means that the bigger fish are also out and eating minnows. Dawk and Dusk are the best times usually although it depends on the fish you're after and the water clarity/temp/etc, check out some fishing solunar calendars if you're near tidewater. I really love http://www.tides4fishing.com/ . Most fish won't hang out on the surface all day though, they'd just be begging for an osprey or something to nab them - that said though, if you see ospreys and eagles and poo poo flying around, that means there are fish around - they can see them better than you can! :D

That mystery pack of spinners is a crazy steal at 4.99. Looks like you've got some topwater and some that'll fish deeper as well.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I fish the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia.

There's a pretty big angling culture involved with the river, and it has over 40 species. Lots of tournaments are held around it. I just can't catch any fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Went to a local pond on Saturday evening to try for some LBM's with a topwater frog. Tossed the lure like 30' out into some lilly pads and something slammed it. For about five seconds I though i had a bass of a lifetime hooked up. Nope, just a huge loving snapping turtle. Infought him to shore over the course of four or five min. Once there I tapped him on the head with a stick until he bit it, then was able to slack the line and the hook popped out. I am pretty pleased I was able to land him with 12lb leader. Didnt get a great picture, but this one kinda shows his size:

Here is what he did to my hook:

Sunday I was supposed to go kayaking for perch but the winds were too much in the morning so in the afternoon i went to a park to try from shore. I Didn't have high hopes but managed to land a bunch of nice sized white perch:

This guy was honestly one of the smaller ones, I waded a few feet out for the rest and didnt want to risk my phone to grab pics. I also caught my first bluefish:

I got about four more around that size. I also caught a 12-13" rockfish, but didn't get a picture as I sliced the poo poo out of my hand trying to land him.

Everything was caught on small inline spinners case to an old rotting dock in maybe 3-10' of water. At this point I am done with trebblehooks, they tear the fish up way too much. Mepps offers most of their lures in single hook and I have a shopping cart filled to buy when I get home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Isn't snapping turtle supposed to be good to eat?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have heard that but they are illegal to "molest" under MD law. I assume that covers eating.

Im also not even sure I could have killed it, even with my somewhat comically large fishing knife.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bunnielab posted:

I have heard that but they are illegal to "molest" under MD law. I assume that covers eating.

Im also not even sure I could have killed it, even with my somewhat comically large fishing knife.

Oh drat you have them that far north? Thought that would be too cold for them.
Check on the regs. Molesting and harvesting may be different.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Like I said before, I ended up going back to the river this weekend. Caught two more rainbow trout on the aforementioned Joe's Flies Black Gnat in Line Spinner. I was only out for about an hour (While the baby napped at home with Mom). I pulled the first rainbow trout after just one or two casts. The second came about 10 to 15 minutes later.

I can't believe Fall is already around the corner. The trees have started to turn just a bit (this is pretty far North though).

Edit: Released these guys.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh drat you have them that far north? Thought that would be too cold for them.
Check on the regs. Molesting and harvesting may be different.

We have them in Northern Ontario as well, they can live in a lot of places.

With that being said, they are legal to harvest in many places, but they are considered a species at risk. Populations are poorly studied, but from what some of the herp. friends I've got say, they seem to be shrinking fairly rapidly. They take ages to reach sexual maturity, so killing them really hurts the population. There's also way tastier things than turtle to eat.

Just my 2 cents, but I don't see much reason to kill something that's got population troubles. Catch (and eat) responsibly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Siochain posted:

We have them in Northern Ontario as well, they can live in a lot of places.

With that being said, they are legal to harvest in many places, but they are considered a species at risk. Populations are poorly studied, but from what some of the herp. friends I've got say, they seem to be shrinking fairly rapidly. They take ages to reach sexual maturity, so killing them really hurts the population. There's also way tastier things than turtle to eat.

Just my 2 cents, but I don't see much reason to kill something that's got population troubles. Catch (and eat) responsibly.

Ahh did not know that. Leave them be I suppose.
We got a lot of red ear sliders but I kinda want a recipe ready to go before I harvest any.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
I've always been told not to eat turtles. There are a ton of parasites in the wild ones. Maybe that's just here in the south though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I enjoy looking at the mean bastards too much to eat them. I have seen a bunch of smaller ones in this pond and will, if the fish aren't biting, tie a bit of jerky directly to my line and watch them chase it around. I don't count that as molesting them as they end up with the jerky in the end.

I hope to get out after more perch this week but my yak isnt super stable and the wind scares the poo poo out of me. Its so much more pleasant to unhook them in the water.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

bunnielab posted:

Yea, I enjoy looking at the mean bastards too much to eat them.

Snappers are mean. One stole my fishing pliers once. And just about took the tip off a rod when I was trying to use it to get them back.
You win, turtle. You win.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bunnielab posted:

Yea, I enjoy looking at the mean bastards too much to eat them. I have seen a bunch of smaller ones in this pond and will, if the fish aren't biting, tie a bit of jerky directly to my line and watch them chase it around. I don't count that as molesting them as they end up with the jerky in the end.

I hope to get out after more perch this week but my yak isnt super stable and the wind scares the poo poo out of me. Its so much more pleasant to unhook them in the water.

Can it take an outrigger to increase stability?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

Can it take an outrigger to increase stability?

Naw just practice. Outriggers can actually make things a lot worse in bad chop.

OP, take the yak out in the wind but leave your fishing gear home. Practice flowing with the waves a chop and relax and try to be comfortable. Keep in mind there are definitely days that are too rough to get on a plastic boat in the ocean. No shame in tossing some jigs from the beach with a 6 pack and a chair.

Edit: the boat knows how to stay upright on its own, your goal is to let it do its thing

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

tesilential posted:

Naw just practice. Outriggers can actually make things a lot worse in bad chop.

OP, take the yak out in the wind but leave your fishing gear home. Practice flowing with the waves a chop and relax and try to be comfortable. Keep in mind there are definitely days that are too rough to get on a plastic boat in the ocean. No shame in tossing some jigs from the beach with a 6 pack and a chair.

Edit: the boat knows how to stay upright on its own, your goal is to let it do its thing

How do outriggers make it worse? You can't roll it. It creates more surface tension. What force is attracted that would make it less stable?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The issue with mine is too big a dude in too small a boat. I got it for a great price during a sale last spring. I'm around 200 and the boat is rated for 300 but i suspect more like 250. There is an inch or so of water over the footwell scuppers sitting still in a deal calm. I also have put it in a pool to check the stability and it is very poor. I was all set to buy a Native Propel this summer but decided to treat my car to a new transmission instead. I think by xmas my fun fund should be built back up.

Stability aside, hands free propulsion is gonna be the loving tits. When the wind is perfect I can now use one rod to cast with and a second tiny ice rod with a gulp bloodworm on a jig just chilling on the bottom. I get most of my perch casting but occasionally a big one nails the bait siting on the bottom.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Newbie here, just wanted to post that I got back from a wonderful weekend of fishing at Lake Crowley in the East Sierra. The morning bite was amazing each day and I continued to catch rainbows over 20 inches, the biggest being 25. I went with my uncle and he took the photos, and he's not the most technologically advanced individual, but I promise to post pictures when I get them in.

For now I wanted to report if anyone is in the area the morning bite seems to be really kicking up around 10:00am, and there's been a lot less wind than usual on the lake. We were both in float tubes using full-sink fly lines, trolling along the reed line off of the northern end with some Snail Pattern flies. The fish were absolutely going nuts over them. Most of the people around us were midging with mixed success. Oh, and bring someone along or some rocks to fight off the pelicans. They will take your trout as you are trying to net them.

Good luck to anyone who is going after those trout. There were plenty more large ones that snapped my line or got away in some other manner, so they are definitely in there. We released all of our fish so hopefully someone else catches that huge rear end 25 inch rear end in a top hat. He gave me a hell of a fight.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 22, 2015

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

bunnielab posted:

The issue with mine is too big a dude in too small a boat. I got it for a great price during a sale last spring. I'm around 200 and the boat is rated for 300 but i suspect more like 250. There is an inch or so of water over the footwell scuppers sitting still in a deal calm. I also have put it in a pool to check the stability and it is very poor. I was all set to buy a Native Propel this summer but decided to treat my car to a new transmission instead. I think by xmas my fun fund should be built back up.

Stability aside, hands free propulsion is gonna be the loving tits. When the wind is perfect I can now use one rod to cast with and a second tiny ice rod with a gulp bloodworm on a jig just chilling on the bottom. I get most of my perch casting but occasionally a big one nails the bait siting on the bottom.

I dont know if this will help you at all, but if you're looking to buy a new kayak, I'm looking for one, and I'm ~165, so I'd be interested in a kayak for a smaller person. Let's talk if you're interested and maybe we can work something out yet. I've been looking on craigslist a bit.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

How do outriggers make it worse? You can't roll it. It creates more surface tension. What force is attracted that would make it less stable?

Outriggers mean each wave affects the yak three times as it goes underneath. I've never used them myself but I've been lead to believe they're better suited for stabilising yaks when the center of gravity is high like when you're using a mast or are standing up for some reason rather than providing stability in rough conditions.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

The broader the base, the less ability you have to roll with and against chop - kind of like a car without any shocks, things get rough and it gets telegraphed through the entire frame and you, way harsher. You end up being buffeted instead of bobbing back and forth. A boat's shock support is in large part, its ability to retain center balance while being rocked side to side. You also lose turning dexterity with so much dragging out to the sides.

Of course if you get a really broad long and heavy base like one of those big war canoes with outriggers you may have seen pictures of, it's not as bad.. But at that point the weight and size of the platform you're riding and the number of people in it, are going to nullify a lot of the smaller chop - and nobody's gonna take a war canoe out in lovely weather.

When you're in a small light kayak and then start giving it outriggers, it's like having someone on both sides just jerking it around as hard as they can. You lose control over your balance and don't have enough mass to counter.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 22, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mmm. I suppose. We have a small crowd of dual outriggers, gaff sail but at that point you are really just a small sail boat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Large Bass:

Tiny jig:

I was loving around in the canal in Georgetown trying to catch some sunnies or whatever. I was fishing a tiny little plastic on a 1/64oz jig and after two or three sunfish this guy just smashed the lure.

And then I went to a huge wide and deep part of the canal twelve miles up armed with a baitcaster and a pack full of lures and only caught two dinks in four hours. Fish are fickle bastards.

Bonus smallmouth, caught after the big bass. It is my first. I didn't think they would be in this part of the canal.

Planet X posted:

I dont know if this will help you at all, but if you're looking to buy a new kayak, I'm looking for one, and I'm ~165, so I'd be interested in a kayak for a smaller person. Let's talk if you're interested and maybe we can work something out yet. I've been looking on craigslist a bit.

I am going to keep my current one as a loaner, but if you want help looking PM me your budget and what kind of yak you are thinking of.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Looks like it's time to invest in better quality hooks and jig hooks. I ran into that with salmon when trying to use cheap steelhead jigs on salmon. ;)

LingcodKilla posted:

Mmm. I suppose. We have a small crowd of dual outriggers, gaff sail but at that point you are really just a small sail boat.
When the sail is giving pressure to lean, then an outrigger is way more useful. Without a sail, not so much. Basically the outriggers are an alternative solution to a keel.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

^^^ Looks like it's time to invest in better quality hooks and jig hooks. I ran into that with salmon when trying to use cheap steelhead jigs on salmon. ;)

Dude, it is a 1/64oz jig for tiny little brook trout. I am impressed enough to buy a bunch more for my panfishing stuff.

Also, my on-call wildlife biologist says that the big fish is a smallmouth as well. I admit that I was so shocked to catch it that I didnt take a good look at him.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

bunnielab posted:

Dude, it is a 1/64oz jig for tiny little brook trout. I am impressed enough to buy a bunch more for my panfishing stuff.

Also, my on-call wildlife biologist says that the big fish is a smallmouth as well. I admit that I was so shocked to catch it that I didnt take a good look at him.

yep, both are smallies. Easiest way to tell is the vertical stripes and the lack of dark lateral line that you find on large mouth. The jaw line also goes past the eye for large mouth, while for small mouth it does not.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Bangkero posted:

yep, both are smallies. Easiest way to tell is the vertical stripes and the lack of dark lateral line that you find on large mouth. The jaw line also goes past the eye for large mouth, while for small mouth it does not.

Madness. They were caught in a pretty brackish tributary of the tidal Potomac river, the non-tidal upper river is full of them, I had no idea they could be this far south.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bunnielab posted:

FYI smallmouth have "zebra stripes" that are perpendicular to their lateral line. They aren't always super bright. Largemouth don't have any stripes except for a dark strip along the lateral line.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hey all you guys who fish deep. I was a part of research group studying barotrauma. Check it out and learn something!

I'm in one the videos but if you've seen one fat fisherman you've seen them all.

http://barotrauma.ucsc.edu/

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I took the kayak out for a fish today, conditions were absolutely mint until a bit after 11 when the wind picked up and it got quite choppy. Lots of undersize flathead (a bit like your lizard fish) and one small snapper.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey all you guys who fish deep. I was a part of research group studying barotrauma. Check it out and learn something!

I'm in one the videos but if you've seen one fat fisherman you've seen them all.

http://barotrauma.ucsc.edu/

Gonna check it out. But it made me think of these things off the bat.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Bangkero posted:

Quoted for a whole lot of 'yep!'

My fishing has sucked this year compared to last. My catches are limited to a 46" Muskie, a few small (5lb range) Flathead Catfish, a 22" Saugeye and maybe three channel cats? I haven't caught a single Largemouth or Smallmouth this year.

Ugh, life has been way too overbearing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I caught my first decent striped bass the other day, about 19-20". I didnt get a picture as I caught him standing in the surf and didnt have a free hand. Which leads to my question:

When surf fishing, what do you do with your rod when trying to dehook and release a fish? The obvious answer is to back up and fight the fish to shore but the specific place I was at has a ton of loose riprap and I wasnt too keen on walking backwards without looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A rod holder. I made one from a piece of old metal shelving and a chunk of PVC. Taped them together, job's done.

You can buy them of course, but it's laughably easy to cobble one together. You use them to keep your rod out of the surf and sand when tying on new rigging, landing fish, drinking your beer, etc. If you drive it deep enough in a bank, you can use it for plunking salmon as well - which is why many store bought ones can also hold your beer.

here's some fancy ones, I left mine in the beach house store room but it's literally made a piece of PVC and an L-shaped strip of metal that I got at the recycled building center for like a buck fifty, total.The metal end I cut with an angle so I can shove it into gravel, and the PVC is long enough that I can fold the shelf piece back on itself (It's two pieces with a pair of wingnuts to be precise, so I can collapse it in the trunk)and wedge it between large rocks as well, or I can stick the two metal pieces into a T and use it as a pedal to force it into the sand deep enough. I made sure to use a piece of metal with an L bend along its length, to reinforce it a little in case it gets reefed on too hard.

...Or of course you can learn to balance your rod over your shoulders to show off your reel and poo poo. It's really popular with fly fishers lately.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 26, 2015