Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I Greyhound posted:

If SuGaBa can engineer an emo virus to make them turn all dark and depressed, then do that.

IIRC that's one of the possible outcomes, yeah, although it's more goth than emo due to the time period (the virus is called "the Cure" :allears:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

loquacius posted:

IIRC that's one of the possible outcomes, yeah, although it's more goth than emo due to the time period (the virus is called "the Cure" :allears:)

Oh my god. We have to do this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I Greyhound posted:

If SuGaBa can engineer an emo virus to make them turn all dark and depressed, then do that. Otherwise, Dance off, especially if the ceremonial caiman dance garment is a tutu.

Looking forward to subjective voting.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Get SuGaBa to send a virus during the Dance Off to force them to dance to emo/goth music.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I Greyhound posted:

If SuGaBa can engineer an emo virus to make them turn all dark and depressed, then do that. Otherwise, Dance off, especially if the ceremonial caiman dance garment is a tutu.

Actually I think you'll find the Caiman ceremonial dance garment is a jaunty hat and cape...

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dance off while we plot something sinister.

Wait could we actually win a dance off and have them surrender thier loot?

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
We are going to lose this dance off so badly unless we pretreat with VIRUS. They are machines that are enthusiastic about disco music and we are slovenly drunken crocodiles. Is it possible to chain the actions?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dogstoyevsky posted:

We are going to lose this dance off so badly unless we pretreat with VIRUS. They are machines that are enthusiastic about disco music and we are slovenly drunken crocodiles. Is it possible to chain the actions?

No. If you choose to prepare the virus first it won't work. You need the data you gather during the dance off to finish the robots without a ship battle this early on.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
These guys seem pretty chill. We have a shared foe and they've expressed concern for our safety.

Of course we should murder them with a virus.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

:perfect:

changing my vote tot his

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

loquacius posted:

Changing my vote to this as well.

assemblyrequired
Jul 14, 2014

Wait, what's stopping us from having a skink do the dance off? We're the crocs, why should we get our feet dirty?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

assemblyrequired posted:

Wait, what's stopping us from having a skink do the dance off? We're the crocs, why should we get our feet dirty?

Skinks are forbidden to dance. Gets their blood up you know.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Let's send over some of those slaves we got from the last planet to do a dance off. If they die, who cares?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Set to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw0EozkBWuI

Or:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKupOsaJmk

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Hogge Wild posted:

:dance: Dance off !:dance:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

No. If you choose to prepare the virus first it won't work. You need the data you gather during the dance off to finish the robots without a ship battle this early on.

Oh poo poo, you're right. I forgot that detail :doh: Okay limber up our least crapulent guy and let's dance.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

loquacius posted:

Another vote for this.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'm preparing the Dance Off sequence through to SuGaBA devising the virus and hitting them with it. It's a tough section but we should be able to get through it with any luck.

While I'm scanning, you're going to need to send four crew members to the dance-off, which will take place on the Ganymed. They don't have to be crocs but you will face a crapulence check if you take the valet or any haldians for reasons that the text will explain. You can send the Captain and redshirts without penalty but (look only if you want a clue about not dying)
think about who you're leaving behind with the ship.

I forgot to scan in the picture last time so here it is as well:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Is this based in a world in which radio signals picked up from earth allow us to utilize the "Rick roll" as part of the virus?

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Make sure to send the prince. If we leave him on the ship we'll have a civil war on our hands.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

RocktheCaulk posted:

Is this based in a world in which radio signals picked up from earth allow us to utilize the "Rick roll" as part of the virus?

This game is set in 2047 so that meme may have actually fossilised by then. I have no idea if the author had ever heard of Rick Astley - the song was released the same year as the book but I don't think people back then had figured out a way to amuse themselves with it other than unironically listening to it.

Update

Preparing for the contest (I'm not sure that that's the correct plural of Moriarty. Should it be Moriarti? Hopefully a problem we will never have to face in our lifetimes)

There's no backing out now. It's going to take a day of preparing and shuttling over to the Ganymed, which means a day of exposure to horrible space radiation! We roll on the following table (from the introduction pages):

and get 7 on 2d6 (Caimans only roll two dice to reflect their slower metabolism and better ship). This is ok - no immediate damage but all rolls on future radiation tables will be at +1. I'll note that on the manifest. We also lose 10 ENERGY for spending a day here, and of course time marches on. We have 2 days to clear the sector now.

Currently we still need to decide which crew we're taking over before all hell probably breaks loose. This can include redshirts.

Starship manifest:

E: It's been a bit of a dripfeed today, I'll try to go back to the schedule of one solid update every 24 hours from here on out.

vvvvvvv Valet can definitely go so long as you don't mind a crapulence check for outraging public decency. These crocs take their dancing seriously.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 26, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We're okay to use the Valet if he's not taking over someone else's roll, right? Because if so we totally should. Birds can throw down.

No matter what, leave the captain on the ship.

e: ^^^^^^^^ probably worth it, then. I vote for also sending over Bob, Wrongway, and Benedict. Maybe if we're lucky Benedict will get shot with some kind of disco beam.

e2: remember we're less trying to win and more trying to buy time and info for our awesome new wave virus

loquacius fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 26, 2015

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Look, we don't need to win this thing and the disco robots might not honor a win anyway. We are just there to stall them while SuGaBa cooks up something devious. Don't send any skinks, there's no need to piss off the crew.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Getting some sweet loot from the DA ship might also be a good thing. Potentially whatever they were salvaging.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There's no way Wrongway is not a demon on the dance floor. Albeit by accident.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Send the ever crapulent Blind Pew and the redshirt dancers! Hell, have a fourth redshirt stowaway for suprise dance action.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
yeah the other three can be whoever but wrongway pls

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Wrongway, Benedict, Chubbs, and the Valet.

Bob is too big to dance.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Wait, does the 24 hr advancement mean the Ganymed needs to roll on the radiation table as well? With the +1 for being abominations maybe they'll just explode from exposure.

Edit: Don't leave that swanky fucker Benedict on the ship.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Nah the game's a bit unfair that way. Probably other ships' stats were tracked in the Amiga port of the game but I can't find a copy of it to check.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Send Chubbs, Benedict, the Valet, and Wrongway. Make sure they're all fully stocked on spice. We all know Wrongway can't function without that poo poo in his veins.

Maaaaaaaaaan, I figured with as comprehensive a system as this that it would somehow track negative stats on opponents. Guess it was too much to ask.

Edit: and maybe as a side bonus we can get Benedict addicted to Spice and have some dirt on him.

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 26, 2015

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Send the following:
Bob - I can't trust an industrious Caiman
Benedict - excluding him from extraspecies negotiations would be a major faux pas
Wrongway - if anyone on this ship knows how to party, it's this guy
Captain - we're no wallflower, dig?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Instead of Spice give Wrongway some "Vitamin E" know what I'm sayin'?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Applewhite posted:

Instead of Spice give Wrongway some "Vitamin E" know what I'm sayin'?

Really, the whole crew should take some Vitamin E, it's used to help repair cell and tissue damage during radiation therapy. It's sweet that you're concerned with Wrongway's well-being!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

:objection:

I would like to accuse our glorious host of a severe breach of proper LP protocol.
As has been demonstrated by the previous thread and this thread, our host is clearly cheating in regards to the way the options are presented to us.
Pay attention to all the page scans while the bits are missing - even if you accept his explanation about the so-called "Two-fisted Steve" this still leaves us with a question - why do the missing pieces display night sky instead of underlying text?
Could it be that our host is, in fact, a caiman, pretending to be playing this gamebook, but instead resolving a very real crisis by our hands? Could it be that by helping him we are inadvertantly causing our own destruction?
Or maybe he is hiding something even more sinister?
Explain yourself!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Send 4 redshirts. They're toast when the virus fries everything on the ship.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Outrail posted:

Send 4 redshirts. They're toast when the virus fries everything on the ship.
If you recall the documentary Independence Day, ship viruses still let perpetrators abscond.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

DmitriX posted:

:objection:

I would like to accuse our glorious host of a severe breach of proper LP protocol.
As has been demonstrated by the previous thread and this thread, our host is clearly cheating in regards to the way the options are presented to us.
Pay attention to all the page scans while the bits are missing - even if you accept his explanation about the so-called "Two-fisted Steve" this still leaves us with a question - why do the missing pieces display night sky instead of underlying text?
Could it be that our host is, in fact, a caiman, pretending to be playing this gamebook, but instead resolving a very real crisis by our hands? Could it be that by helping him we are inadvertantly causing our own destruction?
Or maybe he is hiding something even more sinister?
Explain yourself!

Like all professional gamebook LPers, I carefully disassemble the books by unbinding them, and I mount the pages on black card for scanning. I am not up to anything sinister and, above all, I am definitely not a Caiman agent making up a book as we go along in an attempt to find the location of your "Earth".

Here's my count so far for who's getting sent:

Wrongway: 6
Benedict: 5
Bob: 3
Redshirts: 3
Plover: 2
Chubbs: 2
Pew: 1
Captain: 1

At present that means we'll send over Wrongway, Benedict, Bob and a Redshirt but I'll check back in a bit.

Good idea not to send the captain: he's only got 10 energy. He will get a chance to regain at least some energy in the warp after this sector (typically you get 20 or 30 energy for each line on the map you cross) but you might consider eating the valet if things get rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Gilganixon posted:

Like all professional gamebook LPers, I carefully disassemble the books by unbinding them, and I mount the pages on black card for scanning. I am not up to anything sinister and, above all, I am definitely not a Caiman agent making up a book as we go along in an attempt to find the location of your "Earth".

(typically you get 20 or 30 energy for each line on the map you cross) but you might consider eating the valet if things get rough.

Slaves too make a great energy resource I'd imagine.

That said everyone knows if you're anything you're a half-elf trying to scam us into doing work for you.

• Locked thread