Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Geez.

I found my spreadsheet tracking the NICSA: Breakfast that I hosted/organized. It had 53 entries. We get what, 2-4 tops now when we do a regular one?

I'm all for one of these again or just limiting the number of dishes for a regular ICSA. It's intimidating as gently caress to make a 3 course meal when you're not used to making even a single one but are interested in learning.

Lookit all the entries:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dfRMUvVZ1HWp-1Eu3CglB4anczmgu3Da6VxCwnkCcTU/edit?usp=sharing

Maybe make an NICSA with something silly and link it back to GBS? You'll get a couple serious attempts, a lot of really lovely posts and probably several legitimately hilarious attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

This is why people think you're an insufferable prick.

"Knife skills" is the least important thing that people need to make a good food, but because you are ostensibly good with a kitchen knife, you look down on (and insult) anyone who doesn't have that particular ability honed (haha) to the extent that you do.

To speak hypothetically: If you're looking after the kids all day, and you have half an hour to cook dinner (and you have made the effort to cook from scratch) why the gently caress shouldn't you use a loving garlic crusher to save a few moments? What possible justification could you gave for freeing up both hands to crush garlic manually?

I know from your posting history that you have real difficulty with this concept, but there is more to life than your particular professional kitchen, and you'd be well served to remember that.

Yeah. I have a garlic press. I have decent knives that I know how to use reasonably well (and sharpen). Sometimes I'll chop garlic, sometimes I'll smush it with the blade to get a paste, and sometimes I'm in a hurry and I use the garlic press. I don't use it because in clueless or don't know how to do otherwise, but because sometimes it's convenient and quick. CDC comes across as an arrogant condescending prick.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

That Works posted:

An autist in the wild, unable to accept their own advice.

I think just a few posters like you are why a lot of people stay away from this subforum.

Get thicker skin, ignore my anger over stupid kitchen gadgets, and post food.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That Works posted:

Maybe make an NICSA with something silly and link it back to GBS? You'll get a couple serious attempts, a lot of really lovely posts and probably several legitimately hilarious attempts.

this one was linked to GBS and we got loads of amazing entries, those URLs all still work and at least some of them have working images.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

NICSA breakfast was legitimately amazing, and well worth having a look at.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Make it Battle: Brownie and link it to TCC and BYOB.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When I hosted an ICSA, I tried to promote it to GBS, and brought in only trolls and misery. Of course, this was around when GBS had it's big shake up, so who knows.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

A chef getting mad in the chat thread. If you can't take the heat....

this one was linked to GBS and we got loads of amazing entries, those URLs all still work and at least some of them have working images.

Nice. Yeah that's pretty cool. I think getting a little more exposure to ICSA / NICSA would help a lot. Even here I don't always know when one is going on because most of the time I am crusing through bookmarked threads on control panel and not checking the entire subforum. Advertising in this thread when they come up helps certainly as would bringing them outside of the subforum again. I can't remember ever seeing one posted about beyond GWS before.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

NICSA breakfast was legitimately amazing, and well worth having a look at.

The one my ex entered? drat that was some tasty food.

EDIT: so glad you saved the links!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3331414

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 26, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Or you could just stop being such an autist about being a cheffy chef chef and realize that other people have different experiences with food than you do and accommodate that. Your explanation that you need to be curt and angry to get anything across in a kitchen is such bullshit, the best and most competent chef I ever worked for was the most soft spoken and polite person ever, even when everything went to hell (which I only saw once, because he was extremely good at what he does).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

The one my ex entered? drat that was some tasty food.

Who was she? Her entry should be in the spreadsheet I just linked.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You missed my edit. :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3331414

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Awesome! I'm sad that some are missing pictures, but most are there.

Charmmi's was the silliest one, she made cornflakes from scratch:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3331514

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looks like ICSA is kinda been dead for a while and needs a new thread

Wroughtirony posted:

And if one of you wants to take over and curate the ICSA OP....

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sadly, none of The Beet's came through, and she took great pictures.

EDIT: None of Vagrant's either. :(

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sadly, none of The Beet's came through, and she took great pictures.

EDIT: None of Vagrant's either. :(

Vagrant's are here, at least!

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hellkitchen-devils-eggs/1/

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

When I hosted an ICSA, I tried to promote it to GBS, and brought in only trolls and misery. Of course, this was around when GBS had it's big shake up, so who knows.

Bert: Can we get someone to mercilessly crush trolls if we do this again?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Or you could just stop being such an autist about being a cheffy chef chef and realize that other people have different experiences with food than you do and accommodate that. Your explanation that you need to be curt and angry to get anything across in a kitchen is such bullshit, the best and most competent chef I ever worked for was the most soft spoken and polite person ever, even when everything went to hell (which I only saw once, because he was extremely good at what he does).

Whoa, never said I was curt and angry. I'm actually a pretty mellow dude and don't anger easily. I just don't type as well as I talk. My workplace is very laid back, and I'm not some constantly angry tryhard douchebag.

I'll host the first new ICSA, as a gesture of goodwill, as I do like posting here, and talking about food.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
edit nvm

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whoa, never said I was curt and angry. I'm actually a pretty mellow dude and don't anger easily. I just don't type as well as I talk. My workplace is very laid back, and I'm not some constantly angry tryhard douchebag.

I'll host the first new ICSA, as a gesture of goodwill, as I do like posting here, and talking about food.

Heh reminds me of the episode of Bob's Burgers where he goes to the meetup for his online food forum.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Happy Hat posted:

Why the gently caress is it that you need to display that idiotic sense of superiority on the internets?

I simply do not get it.

On NICSA:
NICSA is fun, because we are a forum of loving jerks - we're hard to approach, and we don't have an easy way of letting people in. However - when people effort post, they used to be received with respect, not necessarily because of the outcome of what they have done, but rather because they actually made a loving effort. Then sperging out about them owning uni-taskers and not having 15 years of knife skills under their belt is just loving idiotic.

Yeah - I completely get what the GBS crowd is saying, and I actually support their message by now. This is no longer loving fun, it is insular because we're allowing absolutely loving nothing to happen.

I've stopped posting effort posts by now, because there's always idiots sperging about poo poo, because the interest of the newbies simply isn't there anymore, because every loving time they comment they get 'you own a loving garlic press - you must be an idiot' thrown at them.

I have learned that one of the things that keeps my skills fresh and honed is actually approaching the unskilled with interest - they will do new stuff that I don't, because they havn't tried it before, and that new stuff may actually be awesome, and make me see the world in a new way. That being said - of course you chastise someone who fucks it up.... But not over their loving garlic press.

gently caress this.

I just wanted to quote this - not because I want to call out CdC in particular, but because Happy Hat is articulating what I've tried to whenever people complain about the forum being slow, nobody participating, etc. That message has for the most part fallen on deaf ears in the past. I expect the same to happen now, but still can't stop myself from trying again because god drat it I really do like what this forum can be.

You can hate garlic presses. You can think salsa chicken is dumb and a stupid thing to be proud of. Just consider the message it sends if your primary purpose to posting is to be an rear end in a top hat to someone.

Bert: Can we get someone to mercilessly crush trolls if we do this again?

I have no moderation powers in GBS, nor any control over GBS policy. Given the currently pugilistic relationship between GWS and one particular GBS mod, I don't know if asking for special protection would go over particularly well. I'll talk to the GBS mod collective if you like though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bartolimu posted:

I have no moderation powers in GBS, nor any control over GBS policy. Given the currently pugilistic relationship between GWS and one particular GBS mod, I don't know if asking for special protection would go over particularly well. I'll talk to the GBS mod collective if you like though.
I just meant yelling at/banning/whatever people that hosed around in the NICSA threads in GWS.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I get that you don't think you're being a dick, but maybe consider that a lot of people are saying you come off that way. There's a world of difference between "garlic presses are dumb and you're dumb if you have one" and "I don't think garlic presses are worth having because crushing it with a knife isn't really harder."

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

sweat poteto posted:

and Mr Wiggles was vegetarian

I got better, though.

Let's refresh ICSA, then. Redo the ingredients, maybe change the format a little.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

guppy posted:

I get that you don't think you're being a dick, but maybe consider that a lot of people are saying you come off that way. There's a world of difference between "garlic presses are dumb and you're dumb if you have one" and "I don't think garlic presses are worth having because crushing it with a knife isn't really harder."

He didn't call anyone dumb. He said garlic presses are dumb. It is amazing at how learning to use a knife, spatula, and food scale can speed both the cooking/prep and the clean up. A big reason some people don't cook for themselves is that it takes too long, and people learning to use those 3 things could save themselves hours a week resulting in cooking more often.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I actually had a really good idea for ICSA that I was going to host after Scientastic's back in... April? But there was such a low turnout I said gently caress it. If people will participate, I can get the thread up today.

e: also yes, bring back NICSA. Also also, it was never a requirement of ICSA to make all the dishes for one meal. Some people did it and some didn't.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Drink and Fight posted:

I actually had a really good idea for ICSA that I was going to host after Scientastic's back in... April? But there was such a low turnout I said gently caress it. If people will participate, I can get the thread up today.

e: also yes, bring back NICSA. Also also, it was never a requirement of ICSA to make all the dishes for one meal. Some people did it and some didn't.

Do it.

You may get no participants, you may get loads, you may get rubbish, you may get awesome. I don't know if I'll participate until I see the idea. Quite likely the same goes for everyone else. Personally I don't mind if there's no prizes or the keys to King Solomon's Mine.

I'm of the mind that if you have an idea for an ICSA or NICSA then you should post it and let the contest begin, so long as there isn't one running at the time. Repeating themes is good. Chopped can coast along on jellybeans and stew meat, we can do movies, tomatoes or anything again.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
What if we replaced ICSA with KFSA? Knife Fight is my new favorite cooking competition show and it's somewhere between chopped and iron chef. In the show contestants get 1 hour but obviously we'll skip that part, they have (usually) 3 specific ingredients, and the rules are that they have to make at least 2 plates (but can do as many as they want), and they have to use each of the ingredients at least once in some way. I thinks it's a good middle ground between regular and newbie ICSA and it leaves a lot more wiggle room for what you want to do, and the secret ingredient selection can generate some interesting combinations you might not have seen if it just just tomato or bread battle.

If you're interested in the show its on the Esquire network and it's hosted by Ilan Hall, the annoying guy who only makes spanish food and won one of the early seasons of Top Chef. It's run after hours in his la restaurant and it's all professional chefs as contestants but theres minimal sponsorship and no prizes which makes the mood of it a lot more fun. Sometimes they'll help each other with a prep job, or one chef will butcher the big carcass of something for both of them, etc. At the end one chef gets a big cleaver that days "I Won" and the other one gets a tiny cleaver that says "I Almost Won." It's a cooking competition that focuses on the cooking.

I'm not some constantly angry tryhard douchebag.

Then why do you think so many people keep saying so? I'm honestly curious why you think so many people who regularly read your posts would tell you you post like an rear end in a top hat if you don't.

Edit: holy poo poo donkey fieri is awesome

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I got better, though.

Let's refresh ICSA, then. Redo the ingredients, maybe change the format a little.

I'm so excite!

I hope bart follows through with chasing off shitposters. Either way, I'm committed to this forum. I remember my first thread asking about how to make peking duck and how to structure a meal around it because it was my boyfriend's favorite dish, and I was a poor undergrad just starting out with poor college food. I got trolled a bit, but got good advice and when I posted a fairly successful meal, it felt really awesome. My then-boyfriend is now my husband, and I'm far better at cooking now than I was then (where making a pureed squash soup was something that made me have a meltdown over because I destroyed the blender...). I would love to give back to this community that is so unique and I have been sad to see slowly change for the worse.

I'll follow above and toxx myself to participate in the next ICSA and to host one in the next year.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 26, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

pile of brown posted:

What if we replaced ICSA with KFSA? Knife Fight is my new favorite cooking competition show and it's somewhere between chopped and iron chef. In the show contestants get 1 hour but obviously we'll skip that part, they have (usually) 3 specific ingredients, and the rules are that they have to make at least 2 plates (but can do as many as they want), and they have to use each of the ingredients at least once in some way. I thinks it's a good middle ground between regular and newbie ICSA and it leaves a lot more wiggle room for what you want to do, and the secret ingredient selection can generate some interesting combinations you might not have seen if it just just tomato or bread battle.

If you're interested in the show its on the Esquire network and it's hosted by Ilan Hall, the annoying guy who only makes spanish food and won one of the early seasons of Top Chef. It's run after hours in his la restaurant and it's all professional chefs as contestants but theres minimal sponsorship and no prizes which makes the mood of it a lot more fun. Sometimes they'll help each other with a prep job, or one chef will butcher the big carcass of something for both of them, etc. At the end one chef gets a big cleaver that days "I Won" and the other one gets a tiny cleaver that says "I Almost Won." It's a cooking competition that focuses on the cooking.

Then why do you think so many people keep saying so? I'm honestly curious why you think so many people who regularly read your posts would tell you you post like an rear end in a top hat if you don't.

Edit: holy poo poo donkey fieri is awesome

I like Ilan on Knifefight. It's a fun show. It's best when you see them scrabling because the pantry doesn't have what they want or Ilan's equipment breaks. It's fire and smoke and knives and meat and whiskey that can combine to make something beautiful.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Cavenagh posted:

Do it.

You may get no participants, you may get loads, you may get rubbish, you may get awesome. I don't know if I'll participate until I see the idea. Quite likely the same goes for everyone else. Personally I don't mind if there's no prizes or the keys to King Solomon's Mine.

I'm of the mind that if you have an idea for an ICSA or NICSA then you should post it and let the contest begin, so long as there isn't one running at the time. Repeating themes is good. Chopped can coast along on jellybeans and stew meat, we can do movies, tomatoes or anything again.

I don't mind putting up prizes, it just sucks to put effort into something and get like 3 participants. I also agree with reusing old theme ingredients, we had a lot of good entries in the past. I think the OP of ICSA thread lists them all.

But ok if people will enter, I'll post thread later this afternoon.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Cavenagh posted:

I like Ilan on Knifefight. It's a fun show. It's best when you see them scrabling because the pantry doesn't have what they want or Ilan's equipment breaks. It's fire and smoke and knives and meat and whiskey that can combine to make something beautiful.

I like him just fine on knife fight but he was super douchey in his season of Top Chef

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bartolimu posted:

I just wanted to quote this - not because I want to call out CdC in particular, but because Happy Hat is articulating what I've tried to whenever people complain about the forum being slow, nobody participating, etc. That message has for the most part fallen on deaf ears in the past. I expect the same to happen now, but still can't stop myself from trying again because god drat it I really do like what this forum can be.

You can hate garlic presses. You can think salsa chicken is dumb and a stupid thing to be proud of. Just consider the message it sends if your primary purpose to posting is to be an rear end in a top hat to someone.

You have power here. I know you don't like that the GWS regulars are a bit insular, but I think most of the regulars are incredibly welcoming. For the most part, even when people disagree and tell you you're wrong here, support and reasoning is given. Valuable lessons are taught and learned. Our community here deserves to be protected and promoted by you, even if some posters have been particularly... not nice to you.

I have often felt the backlash against you was over the top. However, the one big mistake you have made in the past couple years is to spend most of your time trying to cater to new people, and not enough time considering if it'd be good for the people who generate the content and make this a place worth staying. I know you care about this forum, and I agree in general what you said about new posts being good and new blood being good, but quality over quantity. Cater to those who produce good content, and the forum will thrive.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
And if you really think it's necessary to encourage a flood of garbage posts into gws, make another fyad lite called The Tipping Pool or something and stick it in here

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Drink and Fight posted:

I don't mind putting up prizes, it just sucks to put effort into something and get like 3 participants. I also agree with reusing old theme ingredients, we had a lot of good entries in the past. I think the OP of ICSA thread lists them all.

But ok if people will enter, I'll post thread later this afternoon.

I will enter, regardless of theme. :toxx:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

The first one is easy, press the reset button, and BLAMMO, we start ICSA2. Hell, maybe even mix up the format, we could try more of a "Chopped"-style baskets of ingredients. No reason we can't re-invigorate the competition.

PF did that in a 3 stage multibasket icsa he hosted...and I swept all 3 if I remember correctly :smug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was going to make a cassoulet and post pics but I couldn't find any duck legs confit or duck fat in my new area (yet) so I put all of my ingredients away for today.

Maybe later this week if I have a free evening.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Supermarkets often have whole ducks but they keep them frozen, you could check there if you want to defrost and butcher it. The only place to get just duck legs in my area retail is whole foods and they want like 16.99/lb for them.

I wish duck was more popular with the general public as a specialty item it's just so expensive.

Also for some reason my local cheese shop sells cans of duck fat, but it might just be because it's owned by a french lady. If you have any around you could call and ask.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

pile of brown posted:

Supermarkets often have whole ducks but they keep them frozen, you could check there if you want to defrost and butcher it. The only place to get just duck legs in my area retail is whole foods and they want like 16.99/lb for them.

I wish duck was more popular with the general public as a specialty item it's just so expensive.

Also for some reason my local cheese shop sells cans of duck fat, but it might just be because it's owned by a french lady. If you have any around you could call and ask.

Nice avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Would be awesome if it was an animation of him running...