Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Often, (quality) flash memory will stop accepting write actions and switch to read-only

Bad flash memory will just stop responding alltogether

On SSDs once you hit a certain threshold it will convert that data in to read-only, and will section off that chunk of flash memory to no new writes. If you reformat a well-used 2012 era 128gb drive you might only get 96gb usable space.

So yeah flash memory is fast as hell but it wears out about 10x as fast as slow rotational magnetic media.

Modern 2014+ SSDs are so reliable you don't need to really worry about that during your lifetime, but SD cards and other garbage consumer quality media has a finite lifespan, yeah. eMMC memory on some of the RPi clones is both faster and slightly more reliable. I wouldn't use an RPi in a life-saving medical device that was expected to last more than 24 months. The insurance company might limit that down to 6 months though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for the explanation. I had a cheap 4GB drive once just start loving up writes and failing validation, and wasn't sure that all flash media just went "gently caress you, I'm a black box."

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
No one's mentioned it, but if you're super paranoid, you can flip your root filesystem on the SD card to read-only, then store all your data on USB media somehow.

That should make your SD card pretty reliable.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Are the Pi "kits" on Amazon worth it or do they throw in garbage memory/WiFi/etc.?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Hadlock posted:

Often, (quality) flash memory will stop accepting write actions and switch to read-only

Bad flash memory will just stop responding alltogether

On SSDs once you hit a certain threshold it will convert that data in to read-only, and will section off that chunk of flash memory to no new writes. If you reformat a well-used 2012 era 128gb drive you might only get 96gb usable space.

So yeah flash memory is fast as hell but it wears out about 10x as fast as slow rotational magnetic media.

Modern 2014+ SSDs are so reliable you don't need to really worry about that during your lifetime, but SD cards and other garbage consumer quality media has a finite lifespan, yeah. eMMC memory on some of the RPi clones is both faster and slightly more reliable. I wouldn't use an RPi in a life-saving medical device that was expected to last more than 24 months. The insurance company might limit that down to 6 months though.

eMMC is literally just memory card components soldered onto a board - it stands for "embedded multimedia card." If a company is building an integrated product they'll have to support (like a tablet that comes with a warranty), they may shell out extra money for better components, but eMMC isn't better in and of itself.

Also, if you use a Raspberry Pi for anything life-critical, even for a second, you are loving insane.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

monster on a stick posted:

Are the Pi "kits" on Amazon worth it or do they throw in garbage memory/WiFi/etc.?

Bought the Canakit, am happy with it. SD card is Sandisk, WiFi dongle is the recommended brand, case isn't too cheap, no power supply issues, etc. Comes in a nice little box, all arranged like a Birchbox or something.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Bought the Canakit, am happy with it. SD card is Sandisk, WiFi dongle is the recommended brand, case isn't too cheap, no power supply issues, etc. Comes in a nice little box, all arranged like a Birchbox or something.

I also bought a Canakit's set to setup a cheap media box for someone, would recommend (since 90% of their kit you'll be buying if you're new to pi's anyways)

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
One electrical box, 3 PVC pipe fittings, a smattering of aquarium sealer, 1 extension cord, 1 UV filter, and a Ziploc bag and my waterproof casing is nearly complete! I gave it a test run last night, made a couple adjustments to how the camera module sits in the casing, glued the UV filter to the casing this morning and I think I have a decent security/wildlife camera. Unfortunately, budget constraints and the temptation of a high degree of water protection made me pick a larger casing than I'd prefer, but it allowed me to keep the extension cord plug and 2A power supply safetly nestled from the elements so I think it was worth it. I'm currently field testing it by setting up food traps for the neighborhood cats.

Photo Time!

Stream from my live test last night. I think the IR illuminators were not aligned properly and was being blocked by the PVC. I made a couple adjustments and I'll see how they work tonight.

Bonus photo of my ferret, Picard, which I happened to find on the SD card.

durtan fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 26, 2015

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Has anyone had any trouble with installing Win10? I followed the instructions and am using the Samsung Evo 16gb class 10 card. The pi 2 powers on, but monitor goes straight to complaining about resolution and timing. Old pi works fine and raspbian starts booting on the pi2 and displays on the monitor without an issue. I've re-imaged twice. Going to try next with noobs on the evo card. Green light flashes 7 times and red stay solid when powered on. No video at all when no sd card is present.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's cool! What kind of enclosure is the main body made from? What are the dimensions?

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
I made it from a 2" conduit body cover, this one, specifically, the lens assembly is made out of a 2.5'' electric PVC fitting and an 82mm UV filter. It's all held together with aquarium sealer adhesive and the inside I have he Pi in a cheap plastic casing to provide added protection to the board. It measures about 3.2in W X 4.8in H x 9.3in D in the body and the lens assembly extends out approximately 3 in". (I didn't measure it but am guesstimating). I found the lens on Amazon for $6.99 so the whole setup was around $20-22. The aquarium sealer was about $5.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I'm totally new at programming and electronics, but I love learning new poo poo and making things, so I want to make a mini arcade cabinet thing using a raspberry pi 2 and retropie.

I've been doing a bunch of reading, and I have one question on the top of my head right now. If I wanted to use two joysticks with 6 buttons each (20 inputs total?), do I have enough headers using the GPIO, or should I get something like an ipac2 for the inputs?

I didn't see a proper answer to this question. The pi 2 will give you enough GPIO headers for that kind of setup. Note that you'll need more than 20 inputs total once you include coin/start/select/exit game type buttons.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Troubadour posted:

I didn't see a proper answer to this question. The pi 2 will give you enough GPIO headers for that kind of setup. Note that you'll need more than 20 inputs total once you include coin/start/select/exit game type buttons.

Worst case scenario you can always use shift registers to extend the IO of your Pi or micro controller, very easy to do if you have a whole suite of buttons you decide to add.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

xilni posted:

Worst case scenario you can always use shift registers to extend the IO of your Pi or micro controller, very easy to do if you have a whole suite of buttons you decide to add.

Or even a USB or I2C GPIO board.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

eschaton posted:

Or even a USB or I2C GPIO board.

Wow, never used one of these (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ft232h-breakout?view=all) looks fun. Using shift registers just reminds me of my fundamentals.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Anyone run a pi outdoors for an extended period of time? I wanna put one in my gate opener but I'm not sure how long it would survive. It'd be out of the rain but I'm texas so it gets really hot under there in the summer. Probably 120F+

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

the nicker posted:

Anyone run a pi outdoors for an extended period of time?

Mostly fine, better if you can put it in a weatherproof enclosure with some positive pressure ventilation to keep it as close to ambient temperature as possible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can underclock it and throw a passive heat sink on there if you are really nervous about it. I think they will go as low as 200mhz and are quite happy responding via SSH in real time at that speed for basic operations.

People are stress testing the Pi with Quake 3 (100% CPU use) at ~55c which is 130F with no stability issues, and according to this they report that the main chip is rated to 85C (185F), although the LAN chip is "only" rated to 70C (158F). If you're running the chip at idle waiting for a remote signal to kick off a relay it will be mostly idle probably running at ambient temp or close to it. You might be at risk if the neighbor kid sets up a DDoS node on it or something but that seems unlikely.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Dennis the Menace 2015: DDoSing your Raspberry Pi that's outside in an external enclosure to cause condensation and short circuit it

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Has anyone here had a chance to try the official display yet? I'm looking for a display in that price range so I can dedicate a pi to be a CNC computer and get rid of the old laptop that's currently doing the job (still wired to the wall because its battery went bad). Not sure if it'll be too cramped for Universal G Code Sender, but I've got another similar 7" display for a future car project I can do some testing with before dropping the cash.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

the nicker posted:

Anyone run a pi outdoors for an extended period of time? I wanna put one in my gate opener but I'm not sure how long it would survive. It'd be out of the rain but I'm texas so it gets really hot under there in the summer. Probably 120F+

So I'm currently doing an outdoor test on mine, temps here are averaging around 80F so the heat isn't much of an issue. See my post above if you want an idea for a camera setup, but my research suggests that you'd want to weatherproof your pi without it being airtight so condensation won't form. I'd also put it in a plastic case which will prevent spiders from shorting out the board.

What do you want to use it for? Just curious.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Parts Kit posted:

Has anyone here had a chance to try the official display yet? I'm looking for a display in that price range so I can dedicate a pi to be a CNC computer and get rid of the old laptop that's currently doing the job (still wired to the wall because its battery went bad). Not sure if it'll be too cramped for Universal G Code Sender, but I've got another similar 7" display for a future car project I can do some testing with before dropping the cash.

I've got one on my desk and use it with OSMC as a little mediacenter and some background stuff like an irc bouncer. It's pretty nice if you can deal with the 800x480 res. Right now it's lacking some software stuff like being able to turn it off or change the backlight, but that's being worked on. No real experience with the touchscreen stuff aside from that it works but Raspbian Jessie was released today and I was thinking about messing with it some.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
That sounds good. I should see if the little 12v monitor has enough resolution for this job, I think it's also 800x400. Hell, it might be better to just get the official display for the car computer down the road anyways since the one I have has some obnoxious extra stuff dangling off to change backlight and all that stuff.

Also nice to finally know where Raspbian gets its names thanks to that link. "Wheezy" just kinda confused the gently caress out of me until now.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

durtan posted:

So I'm currently doing an outdoor test on mine, temps here are averaging around 80F so the heat isn't much of an issue. See my post above if you want an idea for a camera setup, but my research suggests that you'd want to weatherproof your pi without it being airtight so condensation won't form. I'd also put it in a plastic case which will prevent spiders from shorting out the board.

What do you want to use it for? Just curious.

It'll be inside the cover of the gate opener electronics/motor so it's already 'weatherproof' in that regard. It's like a dark gray cover though so I'm sure it really gets cooking in there when it's 110 outside and sun is beating down on it.

It's for opening my gate from my phone. I've already been using a pi for this for 2 years - it works fantastically but it's a ghetto setup right now as I've just got my spare gate opener wired up to the pi so that I can trigger it via an app on my phone (or a webpage).

By putting the pi inside the opener, I can hardwire it directly to the control board instead of the wireless opener. This means that I: 1) get back my second opener, and 2) gain the ability to use full 3-button gate control (open, close, stop) as opposed to a single button for all 3 of these. Which is problematic when you can't actually see the gate.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
What kind of performance could I expect out of an SD card? I'm seeing some inexpensive cards rated for 90 MB/sec read and 50 MB/sec write; can the Pi (or other comparable SBC) get anywhere close to that? Or is 10-20 MB/sec all one can expect, no matter what the card can handle?

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

eschaton posted:

What kind of performance could I expect out of an SD card? I'm seeing some inexpensive cards rated for 90 MB/sec read and 50 MB/sec write; can the Pi (or other comparable SBC) get anywhere close to that? Or is 10-20 MB/sec all one can expect, no matter what the card can handle?

Definitely limited by the RPi. I recently switched some cheap SD card to a Samsung Pro one. While the Samsung had a 90MB/s read and 63MB/s write throughput on a USB 3.0 stick and the cheap card managed to pull slightly over 30MB/s read and 20MB/s write, both did exactly the same on the RPi with about 15-17MB/s. Boot times and system reaction in general felt the same.

Now I can only hold on to the hope that the Samsung Pro flash chips are slightly more reliable :ohdear:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

eschaton posted:

Last I checked both Pis are USB 2.0, so your max speed is about 32 megabytes per second with no additional overhead going on. In real world situations, it'll be half that or less because the Pi's CPU needs to handle other things, and because a bunch of the stuff on the Pi is also accessed through the USB 2.0 bus.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Thanks, I was thinking about getting a couple new higher-capacity cards as part of upgrading my Pi and Pi2 to Jessie, now I know not to bother with ”fast” cards.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

eschaton posted:

http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards#SD_card_performance

Performance will be more-less the same for Pi2 as the USB bus is the same.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
How do you get raspbian to quit trying to always open .jar files as an archive and instead run them as an applet? I've successfully run the applet through the command line but in raspbian I don't seem to have the option to do it on a double click like in other versions of linux.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

How do you get raspbian to quit trying to always open .jar files as an archive and instead run them as an applet? I've successfully run the applet through the command line but in raspbian I don't seem to have the option to do it on a double click like in other versions of linux.

No idea how to change file associations, but from the command line you can just do: java -jar foo.jar

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Decided to try one of those bar top arcade builds.

Already got the button kit:

Going to be a bit of cutting and gluing in my future.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

floor is lava posted:

Decided to try one of those bar top arcade builds.

Already got the button kit:

Going to be a bit of cutting and gluing in my future.

Nice! I would love to do this at one point (once I have a bar to plop it on).

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Is there anyone out there with a Pi2 and a 90-degree micro usb power cable/adapter (something like this)?

I want to know how much width is added with the 90-degree power cable. I have a project in mind, but it has a hard limit on width of 6.3cm. The Pi2 supposedly begins at 5.7cm, and the power port is on the side. :ohdear:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Alehkhs posted:

Is there anyone out there with a Pi2 and a 90-degree micro usb power cable/adapter (something like this)?

I want to know how much width is added with the 90-degree power cable. I have a project in mind, but it has a hard limit on width of 6.3cm. The Pi2 supposedly begins at 5.7cm, and the power port is on the side. :ohdear:

You can supply power through the 5V GPIO pin instead. Doing it this way will bypass the internal protection but it works fine. Just make sure your power source is good and you don't short anything out (as always).

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

the nicker posted:

You can supply power through the 5V GPIO pin instead. Doing it this way will bypass the internal protection but it works fine. Just make sure your power source is good and you don't short anything out (as always).

I was planning to power it off of a usb battery pack - plugging it in is not an option where this is going. Is there a good way to adapt that to the GPIO? I think another concern is I'm going to be running a NoIR camera and try to figure out some LEDs as well, so I might be tight on pin space.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Alehkhs posted:

Looking at the picture, it looks like the plastic of the micro-USB plug is about the same size as of a regular USB plug (check the second picture), which is about a centimeter and a half. Pin space to the GPIO shouldn't be an issue, because it's just two extra wires, Ground and 5v, to worry about. If you're connecting something else to those, well, then you're still connecting something else to those. Makes it a height/wiring complexity issue, though, not width so much. There are some USB-to-bare-wire cables out there which would be helpful, so that you have something convenient to wire to the GPIO pins. This looks like overkill, but it was the first result I found: http://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Charger-Socket-Bare-Wire/dp/B00HQ5JS7I fake edit: That was the wrong sort of thing entirely. This looks like a good buy, if you want something pre-fab (as opposed to a working USB cable and some wire cutters/strippers): http://www.environmentallights.com/16390-usb-to-bare-wire.html

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Vavrek posted:

Looking at the picture, it looks like the plastic of the micro-USB plug is about the same size as of a regular USB plug (check the second picture), which is about a centimeter and a half. Pin space to the GPIO shouldn't be an issue, because it's just two extra wires, Ground and 5v, to worry about. If you're connecting something else to those, well, then you're still connecting something else to those. Makes it a height/wiring complexity issue, though, not width so much. There are some USB-to-bare-wire cables out there which would be helpful, so that you have something convenient to wire to the GPIO pins. This looks like overkill, but it was the first result I found: http://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Charger-Socket-Bare-Wire/dp/B00HQ5JS7I fake edit: That was the wrong sort of thing entirely. This looks like a good buy, if you want something pre-fab (as opposed to a working USB cable and some wire cutters/strippers): http://www.environmentallights.com/16390-usb-to-bare-wire.html

Hmm... I suppose I could power the LEDs off of something else - In fact, I would maybe just power them from the same USB charger that the pi would run off of, since there's usually two ports on those? Or else I could run it out of one of the USB ports on the pi itself. This is all unfamiliar territory for me :shobon:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Vavrek posted:

There are some USB-to-bare-wire cables out there which would be helpful, so that you have something convenient to wire to the GPIO pins. This looks like overkill, but it was the first result I found: http://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Charger-Socket-Bare-Wire/dp/B00HQ5JS7I fake edit: That was the wrong sort of thing entirely. This looks like a good buy, if you want something pre-fab (as opposed to a working USB cable and some wire cutters/strippers): http://www.environmentallights.com/16390-usb-to-bare-wire.html

What the gently caress, don't buy that, just cut up a 30 cent USB cable from eBay and solder on some female headers.

Alehkhs posted:

Hmm... I suppose I could power the LEDs off of something else - In fact, I would maybe just power them from the same USB charger that the pi would run off of, since there's usually two ports on those? Or else I could run it out of one of the USB ports on the pi itself. This is all unfamiliar territory for me :shobon:

The GPIO has two 5v pins, two 3.3v pins, and a pile of GND pins. Most of the other pins can be configured in software to output high or low, which is sufficient for LEDs, too. Google GPIO pinout for some handy diagrams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ante posted:

What the gently caress, don't buy that, just cut up a 30 cent USB cable from eBay and solder on some female headers.

Which looks like what that vendor did, ahaha.