Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm not surprised, even at a lesser known store like the one I used to go to in suburban Phoenix was usually pretty swamped. It usually took a few minutes of waiting before I could sign in for a service appointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So as far as selling my old iPhone 5, I'm going to do a factory reset, remove it from my Apple ID and Find my iPhone, and then take the sim card out, is there anything else I'd need to do? Speaking of the sim card, since I didn't need to put it into my new phone, do I just cut it in half and call it good?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

Yesterday I moved my SIM from my 5S to my 6S and everything was working perfectly. I got an email this morning saying I needed to activate my new device and it would only allow me to activate the correct SIM and IMEI number combination. Now both of my phones say "No Service".

Anything to do but wait?

Reboot your 6S. Same thing happened to me. Once I rebooted, it pulled a signal.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

So as far as selling my old iPhone 5, I'm going to do a factory reset, remove it from my Apple ID and Find my iPhone, and then take the sim card out, is there anything else I'd need to do? Speaking of the sim card, since I didn't need to put it into my new phone, do I just cut it in half and call it good?

I like keeping an old SIM card or two around in case I want to restore an old phone I have lying around, and then have them on wifi.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So I got a 6s, and I'm having a couple issues, and hoping someone might have ideas.

First, every time I power cycle the phone, it asks me for my iTunes password. It works fine once I input it - I can download things, etc - but it asks for it every time.

Second, my Apple Watch displays a loading icon instead of the tap/heartbeat icon for my wife, and it never changes. She has a 6 with a 38mm watch, I have a 6s/42.

Last, I was hoping to use the vastly increased storage to fix the problem I have because of apple changes. I like to keep all of my photos, and I've always backed them up to my PC. Plug in, copy over, etc. Recently it seems that apple changed iOS to store photos in iCloud rather than on the phone. I changed the setting to download and store originals, let my phone restore overnight, but it doesn't seem to have actually downloaded the photos. Is there a way to force it to? Alternatively, is there a way to download them from iCloud (on Windows) that isn't saving them one at a time?

(It's ~4800 photos, so photo stream doesn't help.)

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Did anyone buy the leather case on their Plus? Is it decent protection and does the leather age well?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Krakkles posted:

So I got a 6s, and I'm having a couple issues, and hoping someone might have ideas.

First, every time I power cycle the phone, it asks me for my iTunes password. It works fine once I input it - I can download things, etc - but it asks for it every time.
Go to your iTunes setting and set it to not ask for your password for 15 minutes after a purchase.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Go to your iTunes setting and set it to not ask for your password for 15 minutes after a purchase.
It's currently set to "Require after 15 minutes". This is what you mean, yeah?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Krakkles posted:

It's currently set to "Require after 15 minutes". This is what you mean, yeah?

Yeah, I was getting a ton of iTunes account login prompts until i did it. Is your device still downloading apps?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Reboot your 6S. Same thing happened to me. Once I rebooted, it pulled a signal.

Good call. Works perfectly now.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm amazed you made it more than 5 feet into the store without a staff member asking you if you needed anything. Every time I've ever been into an apple store they have an insane staff to customer ratio -even staff per square meter. They usually have like 20 staff. It's pretty impressive the way they all whip out their iphones and complete your transaction then and there though.

I'm surprised in the differences here to my experience last week (in the UK). I went in the store to buy the new iPad Mini and had to speak to 3 different members of staff and wait around before I could get served. The first person I asked said he couldn't help me and took me to a 2nd, who took my name down on an iPad and said someone else would be with me in 5 minutes or so. Both of them then went back to standing around doing nothing - I don't understand why they couldn't go and grab one from the stock room for me. Neither of them were geniuses or the guy signing people in for genius appointments, just seemed to be regular floor staff.

GutBomb posted:

That's a thing? How do they prevent shoplifting?

While waiting around I saw something for the first time that's maybe linked to this. A plain-clothed guy with an earpiece came over and asked me if I needed help while I was stood around holding an iPad cover, maybe I looked shifty or something. After that he went and had a hushed discussion with one of the floor staff, gesturing towards the entrance. So maybe they do have "stealth" security.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Did anyone buy the leather case on their Plus? Is it decent protection and does the leather age well?

Yes and hell yes.

Question: when pressing on text why do I sometimes get that circular magnifying loupe, and sometimes get a new magnifying rectangle? What's the situational context?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah, I was getting a ton of iTunes account login prompts until i did it. Is your device still downloading apps?
Not downloading anything as far as I can discern. I figured it would stop when it got done downloading too, but no luck so far.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Is buying AppleCare on new iPhones a no-brainer these days?

Looking to upgrade from an iPhone 4s(!). Thinking I'm going to be pretty blown away by upgrading to a 6S+.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AppleCare isn't the free ride it used to be but it's such a small percentage of the cost of the phone I do think it's a no-brainer. If your phone takes a swan dive to the pavement it'll save you a lot of money.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
It makes less sense if you swap every year (since then you're paying for twice the coverage you need) and you're not clumsy. You can break the screen once and come out even. If you are accident prone or keeping the phone for two years, definitely worth it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The AppleCare+ on 6S+ is $99 per exchange plus how much for the service upfront? $129. And what's an uncovered swap out cost?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Ok good to know. I'm on a three to four year cycle at this point so seems like a good idea. Just trying to decide on the 64gb or the 128gb. With the 4K video and the likelihood that I'll keep this phone for three to four years seems like the larger phone is the way to go.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Feenix posted:

The AppleCare+ on 6S+ is 99 per exchange plus how much for the service upfront? And what's an uncovered swap out cost?

You still pay? Guess I don't know how AppleCare works.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pivo posted:

I'm using the Ookla speedtest app on the phone and speedtest.net on the laptop (same thing). I wonder why download over ac is so slow on my phone. I speedtested over 50mbit down over LTE on my iPhone 5... No reason my connection should be so slow on WiFi.

Oh well, hopefully it's not a defect. I do find it strange that even though I'm in a 2br condo with paper thin walls, I get only 2 'bars' of WiFi in my bedroom, whereas every other device I have sees extremely strong signal.

Gosh I really hope this thing isn't defective. A manufacturing error with the antenna could cause this, I suppose. :/

The only thing I can think to suggest, is to turn off WiFi assist and try again. It's possible you're using cell-data on the phone without realising it.

It's more likely however your antenna is simply better in your laptop; they very commonly are. Have you performed the test within close proximity to the router, to troubleshoot?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rhaegar posted:

Yes. You pay "less" up to 2 swap outs in 2 years. But now that lots of folks are on a yearly upgrade plan, 2 years of service may be extreme especially dependent on what a cold/uncovered swap out may cost ( if it's close to, say, $230, that it would cost you to cover and replace the S phone once.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rhaegar posted:

Yeah, they added in fees for replacement a few years ago when people were abusing the program to get a pristine new phone prior to selling it on the secondary market. It's still not a horrible deal, if you shatter a screen without AppleCare it's $250 or something to get it fixed.

It's just insurance. If something goes wrong, you won't have to pay as much. If nothing ever goes wrong you wasted money.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Well I've never smashed an iPhone screen but I've also never owned a large screen phone that cost $1300. Thanks Canadian dollar.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

Yeah, they added in fees for replacement a few years ago when people were abusing the program to get a pristine new phone prior to selling it on the secondary market. It's still not a horrible deal, if you shatter a screen without AppleCare it's $250 or something to get it fixed.

It's just insurance. If something goes wrong, you won't have to pay as much. If nothing ever goes wrong you wasted money.

I guess I don't see how it's worth it at all in this case then; if you pay $99 for Applecare and you still have to pay $129 for the screen replacement, aren't you really only saving ~$20?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

The only thing I can think to suggest, is to turn off WiFi assist and try again. It's possible you're using cell-data on the phone without realising it.

Didn't even know that was a goddamn thing. Now testing at 100/15 on the phone as well. Jeez. That's a broken as hell feature.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

In the UK, the AC+ deductible is £55 for the 6, and £79 for the 6S.
Meanwhile, a replacement screen is £65+VAT

They *really* want you to consider using a claim for a screen to be a bad idea, presumably to prevent deliberate breaks.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Pivo posted:

Didn't even know that was a goddamn thing. Now testing at 100/15 on the phone as well. Jeez. That's a broken as hell feature.

See here is the thing. Does anyone know how wifi assist definitely works? Shouldn't the wifi indicator disappear whenever the mobile data radios are using data? If not and there is no clear indication of what radios are using data at any given moment it's a broken feature imo.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I guess I don't see how it's worth it at all in this case then; if you pay $99 for Applecare and you still have to pay $129 for the screen replacement, aren't you really only saving ~$20?

It's not the slam dunk it used to be. I'm skipping it this year. Watch me drop my phone twice and be out $500 now that I said this.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

lmao, did not know wifi assist could be disabled either. which chucklefuck thought the proper place for that switch was right at the end of a long rear end list of installed apps

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Bad part about how fast Touch ID works is that I'll often press the home button to light up the screen to see notifications and it unlocks before I can read it :(

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Notes from someone coming from an iPhone 5s to 6s:
1. It feels lighter, even though I know it's heavier. Maybe it's the thinness and that the weight is more distributed because of the larger size. Or new phone placebo.
2. This thing is smooth. Feels really good to hold. My new "idle tic" is rubbing the corners of the front glass, where it curves into the side. It's also slipped out of my hand a dozen times (into my lap while sitting or onto my chest in bed) in the last 24 hours. Definitely going to need to get a case.
3. The rose gold isn't that pink. It really is rose gold. Depending on the light, angle, and color of what's being refected, it sometimes looks gold, or champagne, or copper, or silver, or pink, or grey. I like it.
4. It's faster in that it's as fast as it should've always been. It keeps up with you. You'll still see the UI of some apps refresh after you get "in", but not as often.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Boris Galerkin posted:

Bad part about how fast Touch ID works is that I'll often press the home button to light up the screen to see notifications and it unlocks before I can read it :(

Use one of your nine other fingers!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

bronin posted:

there is no clear indication of what radios are using data at any given moment it's a broken feature imo.

That would be a very un-Apple thing to do honestly. Apple is built off of the "magic taking place behind the scenes" RDF and giving more information to the user about what the phone is actually doing probably won't happen.

The battery usage screen was actually very surprising for that reason.

hitze posted:

Use one of your nine other fingers!

I enroll both thumbs and both indexes, so it would be a little awkward. Just use the power button?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AppleCare+ is $129 up front plus $99 per swap in the case of accidental damage. If it's a true defect (like the misaligned camera on the 6) then the repair or swap will be free like it is for AppleCare on Macs. The + just means accidental damage protection as well as extended warranty repair.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Spectracide posted:

3. The rose gold isn't that pink. It really is rose gold. Depending on the light, angle, and color of what's being refected, it sometimes looks gold, or champagne, or copper, or silver, or pink, or grey. I like it.

This is going to be debated to the end of time. The 3 times I have seen/held them they looked pink to me, far more than gold.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

That would be a very un-Apple thing to do honestly. Apple is built off of the "magic taking place behind the scenes" RDF and giving more information to the user about what the phone is actually doing probably won't happen.

The battery usage screen was actually very surprising for that reason.

I enroll both thumbs and both indexes, so it would be a little awkward. Just use the power button?

The problem is, most people don't have / want unlimited data. At full 4G speeds you can burn through a data cap in literal minutes if you're thinking you are on wifi. I think a speed test alone is about 50mb a pop.

It's a great implementation in a theoretical world where wifi data and cellular data are equivalent, but they're usually not.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

unlawfulsoup posted:

This is going to be debated to the end of time. The 3 times I have seen/held them they looked pink to me, far more than gold.

Rose gold is an actual alloy of gold and copper, not just pinkish gold. Calling it rose gold implies that they're trying to mimic the metal's light behavior rather than the color.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I think it's pretty obvious that they skewed the rose gold color toward pink so that they could sell a pink phone without calling it "pink", which I assume they feel is a color name that's "beneath" their flagship device. They could have made a more copper rose gold and deliberately chose not to.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Good, my blond busty gf loves her pink metal phone. Thank you apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I've got a question about LTE stuff. My friend wants to buy a 6s (the T-Mobile version) and then use it in China. Does anyone know if the LTE will work there? I checked Apple's site and it seems like it should work just fine.

My friend's planning to use China Mobile as well, I know China Unicom should work okay.