Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mage Knight is fine but as IIRC the minis weren't great. Star Wars imperial assault is a fixed descent and should have loads of material with the upcoming movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

How is the Pathfinder Card Game? I demoed it at Gen Con but the guy basically held everyone's hand for the demo and I got no sense of how it maybe actually played. Seemed kinda heavy on stats and throwing dice

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lhet posted:

I hate how box inserts never support sleeves. Is it really such an uncommon practice?

Here here! It's so frustrating to have to choose either between a well-organized box or sleeveless cards that'll get effed up over time.

Or, boxes that have zero wiggle room in them. I got Pandemic: Contagion and sleeved some of the cards in it - and this is a box without an insert, by the way - and now it's nearly impossible to fit everything in the box.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Danimo posted:

How is the Pathfinder Card Game? I demoed it at Gen Con but the guy basically held everyone's hand for the demo and I got no sense of how it maybe actually played. Seemed kinda heavy on stats and throwing dice

It's dry as hell, and too dry to really hold up to the repeated plays it expects you to make. You don't get to change your deck enough, and the game effectively becomes rote very quickly.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

It's quick, easy to teach, easy to play, and has just enough RPG in to be fun in short bursts. I heard the new base set is actually good as they learned how to do objectives that don't involve digging though a deck for the boss.

Only get it if you can't devote the 2-4 hours D2.0 and Mage Knight will take, and make sure you get the new base game and not Runelords/Shackles. Otherwise get Mage Knight and never look back.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Two types of board game player, illustrated:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Danimo posted:

Can anyone recommend a game that is kind of RPGish and is good with two players?

Claustrophobia.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Danimo posted:

My wife likes it a lot, I think it's fine. I agree that it's not quite good enough for how often they expect you to replay (and to help with this, we've instituted a house rule for looting after you defeat a boss so you aren't screwed over by beating the mission early).

Strategy is limited but there is some minor decisions here and there. Generally you're going to have a weapon card that will never leave your hand and some rotating other cards you'll use as needed which is generally obvious. Biggest decision point I've seen so far is whether to keep digging through the deck as your hand dwindles and when to heal. Overall it's been rather easy so far, but I'm okay with that.

It's reliant on stats and weapons/items (cards in your hand), but yeah, everything is a dice roll. In early game, rolls will be something like 2d8+1 if you have a weapon, maybe with an extra d6 or d4 if you have an ability or card to burn. So lots of randomized damage. Even at higher levels the + numbers don't seem to be that high so I doubt it will change.

My biggest gripe is that they tease you with the main adventure path, but only give you the first part. You don't unlock the next character "tier" until the 3rd part, so I thought that was rather annoying. I like the game but I'm not sure I like it enough to buy 5 more adventure packs, not counting the character pack.

All that said, if you're looking for a light-ish RPG you could do worse. Note that this is with the original base set (Runelords), the others are supposed to be more difficult.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Danimo posted:

Can anyone recommend a game that is kind of RPGish and is good with two players? How are Descent or Mage Knight with two?

Descent 2.0 may be good with 2, but keep in mind that it is NOT cooperative by itself. May not be important but throwing it out there in case it is, since the two games you mentioned are (well, sort of for DoW). There are several fan made card packs you can get (which are quite well done, though I haven't played with them yet) that automate the AI if you wanted to do Co-op. Here's a link to a thread for the cheaper of the 2 automated ones I've looked into. There's also an official add on that adds coop somehow, but I think it was a limited release and I haven't been able to find it.

Mage Knight is a great game, but takes a long time to play/learn and can lead to some brain drain, which has kept my wife from wanting to bring it out more often. As everyone else said, it's a fantastic game though.

I own and have played two of the D&D adventure games (Legend of Drizzt and Wrath of Ashardalon). Leveling up is more limited than Zombicide and the game does more to "take a dump" on players than Zombicide. This is due to the "gently caress you" deck you have to draw from each turn which can do all kinds of things, including straight up damage you with no chance to evade. I had fun with them so if you like Zombicide you may like these, but because of the way monsters move and the cards are drawn, it's very much a game of attrition and felt like a slog sometimes for me. Can you survive long enough to get out? Not unlike zombicide in that sense i suppose, but with Zombicide I felt I had more control over when I got hurt, whereas the D&D games seemed make sure you got hurt just about every turn.

This game doesn't seem to be well liked here, but Shadows of Brimstone is basically Zombicide mixed with the D&D games in the West with Cthulu. If you like Zombicide, Shadows is similar enough you'd probably be okay, and has continuing level up system instead of a one off each time. It's pretty similar to a zombie theme though.

edit: whoops, sorry for the double post. I meant to put this in with the other.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
4 player game of Concordia ended 120-119-117-116 last night. Sadly most of my group think it's too dry so I probably won't get it to the table often. The weird thing is the other guy who likes it is usually our most Ameritrash player and this is one of the few games he really sits down and calculates his turns for.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Two types of board game player, illustrated:

Haha one of my regulars does this on purpose just to gently caress with me. The best part is me straightening things up bothers him just as much.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Thanks for the recommends, we don't mind long games on the weekend so i might look into Mage Knight since it can be played co-op and I think my fiance prefers that

the only fantasy adventure game I own at the moment is Talisman and I'm only going to bust that out if I need a way out of the engagement

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Shadows of Brimstone...
...is hot garbage. It might be decent if it had a GM and everything wasn't completely random. But as is, well it sucks. Wander around in randomly generated mine tiles that usually only have 1 open path. Fight random monsters with an extremely stupid "power up" mechanic if you spawn too many of the same type at once...randomly. Find random treasure, or just gold which can't be used till the end of the session. Eventually you'll randomly achieve the goal of the adventure and fight a boss or something. Oh the boss spawned 15 tiny bugs? What's that you only have like 8 bug miniatures? Well, those bugs now have twice as much HP, hit twice as hard, poison you, etc, etc, etc. Good luck. Oh you died to a swarm of tiny bugs? Good game, great way to spend 4 hours rolling dice. Now put the game up. Just like taking it out, that should only take 30 minutes to put everything into little baggies. Seriously, gently caress that game.

Also the map tiles are massive. We were playing on an 8x4 foot table and still had to remove the old tiles as we went like a fog of war. There's zero reason to backtrack since each room tile does 1 thing and then it's over. The map tiles themselves would make for a really cool dungeon crawler if you wanted to buy the game and then make a campaign with a GM and better rules.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh wow, Kingdom Death: Monster, that game you may remember as the one with the creepy oversexualized women characters (but some really cool monster design), came out. Was really not expecting it to.

http://imgur.com/gallery/6d2NM

Look at that rulebook. Goddamn though, it's pretty.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Well at least the production quality fits the price tag, even if the game is probably garbage

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Morpheus posted:

Oh wow, Kingdom Death: Monster, that game you may remember as the one with the creepy oversexualized women characters (but some really cool monster design), came out. Was really not expecting it to.

Yeah about that game...

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

QnoisX posted:

Also the map tiles are massive.

I obviously disagree with you overall, but this is so true. The game takes a ridiculous amount of real estate.

I think most of your other complaints exist for every other co-op RPG game I've played (the D&D Adventure games, Pathfinder card game, etc.) in some form or another. Zombicide only avoids some of it because the missions are preset but the rest of the randomness is there. Losing at the end due to the boss also sucks, but again, is an issue with basically all the other games.

edit: regarding the rooms themselves - it's been a while since I played, but I do recall having several divergent paths which was actually one of the big reasons that the huge tiles became an issue. I believe you roll to see which openings are paths and which aren't, so any one room could have several openings. So how much you need to backtrack (or not) completely depends on whether you left an opening you'd want to explore for some reason, but like most games of it's type you rarely go back to the beginning tiles.

Gzuz-Kriced fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 26, 2015

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I obviously disagree with you overall, but this is so true. The game takes a ridiculous amount of real estate.

I think most of your other complaints exist for every other co-op RPG game I've played (the D&D Adventure games, Pathfinder card game, etc.) in some form or another. Zombicide only avoids some of it because the missions are preset but the rest of the randomness is there. Losing at the end due to the boss also sucks, but again, is an issue with basically all the other games.

edit: regarding the rooms themselves - it's been a while since I played, but I do recall having several divergent paths which was actually one of the big reasons that the huge tiles became an issue. I believe you roll to see which openings are paths and which aren't, so any one room could have several openings. So how much you need to backtrack (or not) completely depends on whether you left an opening you'd want to explore for some reason, but like most games of it's type you rarely go back to the beginning tiles.

You only roll to see which path is open and which is blocked. The encounter cards tell you how many of the paths are open and last time we only had a single card that gave us more than one open path. D&D Adventure isn't that great either, but at least it throws a boss character at you and doesn't rely on swarms of skeletons and bugs and crap that can easily hit the miniature limit and gain multiple elite abilities and completely overwhelm you. Also the spawn mechanic is really dumb. You go into a room and if enough spawn or it's a small room they can actually spawn around you or even spill out of the room. Those cards that make you draw 2 of a lesser difficulty spawn cards are stupid. On that boss we spawned him and another spawn card, which gave us 2 of a lesser spawn card which gave us P bugs and 8 bugs, or something like that. The time before that game we played it and went into a small room that spawned two sets of skeletons or zombies that also came with physical spawners to keep popping them out. The room was literally completely full of skeletons/zombie (don't remember which) and any time you killed one the spawner would pop another out. The spawners were in the back of the room, so good luck reaching them. We didn't. They had the elite ability to damage sanity and we went insane.

The miniatures in SoB also come in pieces that have to be assembled. I didn't put it together since it's not my game, but the guy that did was really disappointed in the quality. The large boss figures have rather large seams and look (according to him) nothing like the prototypes from the KSer; much less detail. He's also the owner of Zombicide and one or two of the D&D mini games, so I'm guessing he's comparing the quality to them.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

QnoisX posted:

Bunch of stuff about SoB

Hard to disagree with any of this and a good warning to other people. I have a high tolerance for this though so eh, I still enjoy it.

And yes, I blocked out the "putting together the miniatures" thing. Holy god that was terrible. Luckily my wife is good with that stuff.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Hard to disagree with any of this and a good warning to other people. I have a high tolerance for this though so eh, I still enjoy it.

And yes, I blocked out the "putting together the miniatures" thing. Holy god that was terrible. Luckily my wife is good with that stuff.

Yeah, I didn't even see them until they were put together. I just asked why the arms didn't look right and he went into a rather long rant about how much of a bitch they were to assemble. I don't think they mentioned that it was some assembly required before purchase. Either way, I was mostly disappointed that with the theme of wild west fighting demons and stuff it looked good, but ended up hating it. We were considering trying to come up with a ruleset to run a game like Imperial Assault with preplanned map tiles, encounters, and objectives. Seemed like a lot of work though, so hopefully someone will do it first and put it on BGG. Also nerf the poo poo out of the Gunslinger.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

4 player game of Concordia ended 120-119-117-116 last night. Sadly most of my group think it's too dry so I probably won't get it to the table often. The weird thing is the other guy who likes it is usually our most Ameritrash player and this is one of the few games he really sits down and calculates his turns for.

Haha one of my regulars does this on purpose just to gently caress with me. The best part is me straightening things up bothers him just as much.

That is my wife (messy) and I (ocd)

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

can't wait for SU&SD to do a video about this.
[The problem players video was actually not horrible.]

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, drat. Makes me want a big boutique high production value campaign game, only without the huge miniatures focus and without the really skeevy stuff.

Like if we could have that publisher but Vlaada with full creative control, just imagine.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Cocks Cable posted:

Yeah about that game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goiVNxeX624

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rROvCnLu9hU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Morpheus posted:

According to BGG, the rule book is 223 pages long.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CaptainRightful posted:

According to BGG, the rule book is 223 pages long.

At that point I'm pretty sure I'd rather just play a pen-and-paper RPG, rapemonsters and lion ding dongs aside.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think that might actually be longer than CNA

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

and the only sex monster that game has is hans marseille

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

At that point I'm pretty sure I'd rather just play a pen-and-paper RPG, rapemonsters and lion ding dongs aside.

Need reviews about $400 lion dongs stat. There has to be at least 7 people on here that bought in.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Need reviews about $400 lion dongs stat. There has to be at least 7 people on here that bought in.

If that quote about 200+ page rule books is accurate, this game will never be played. To be frank, if the rules were 8 pages, this game would never be played. Some creeps just wanna wank over dick monsters and plastic titties. Those are the only people that bought this game.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

So after a whirlwind summer of always trying to play our new games, I finally managed to get The Voyages of Marco Polo back to the table. My first game from a month or two ago ended in my crushing the other two players with Matteo Polo on the beginner setup, with the score something like 85/50/50.

This time, we got a four-player game with two new players. I decided to forego the beginner setup because I felt that it didn't really make the game much easier to learn. I also told the new guys not to pick Raschid and I was banned from picking Matteo again. This time, I still won but the scores were:

54 (me as Mercator)
52 (oasis teleporting guy)
52 (Marco and Niccolo)
51 (Berke Khan and also the guy who banned me from playing Matteo)

It was fun to see the characters in action. We all got scared when Marco and Niccolo were rolling up to two cities at once, while Berke was abusing the hell out of the 5 coins space and the camel market. The oasis hopper was kind of disappointed by his ability but I think the free coins every turn helped out a lot. I won since I was able to leverage my trickle of free goods into a bunch of contracts. I think this result (re)kindled a lot of interest in the game for the players and now I think I may be getting it to the table a lot more. It took me about 30 minutes to explain and less than 2 hours to play, even with two new players. It may well overtake Troyes as my favorite dice game for me, though I do have a preorder going for Steampunk Rally so I can't make a full judgment yet. I am well aware that they fill very different niches, though.

The recurring theme of the setup we got was "oh my God I need more camels."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

can't wait for SU&SD to do a video about this.
[The problem players video was actually not horrible.]
I didn't like how most of the solutions are 'ignore them' or 'be pass-agg'. From 1-5 he just promotes behaviours that will acerbate issues: I've been in a game were a couple were colluding and it both soured me to playing with them and playing that particular game altogether and it wasn't called out at the time because I was young and afraid of confrontation.

When people stop being interested, you can't ignore them either because the enjoyment of the game is gonna be negatively affected for everyone: Quinn seems to be working on the assumption that the only person that a problem player affects is you, not the group as a whole. I've also been in a situation where someone stopped paying attention and it affected both me and the other 2 players at the table and I ended the game because everyone's interest had ended after having to wait ages for the problem player to com back to the player/pay actual attention to the game.

He's absolutely correct about people being insulting/demeaning and that you should put your foot down but for the rest he acts like they aren't problems at all: they are certainly lesser problems but they can still be problems that negatively impact a night and should be prevented from happening.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord Frisk posted:

If that quote about 200+ page rule books is accurate, this game will never be played.

Don't worry, as best we can tell from the photos in that gallery more than half the rulebook will be full page art spreads and the rules are in big letters, widely spaced. There's probably about 30 pages of rules in there.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Successful play of Tragedy looper. We played the first two scripts, me as the Mastermind, open table talk and maximum loops for each script when that was an option.

The Protagonists won the first one, I wanted to give them something to do fast instead of letting them flail around for a bit so my first move was to kill the Key Witness with the Serial Killer,neatly closing the loop and giving away a shitload of information the players could work with. Problem is that they worked with all too well and sent the Serial Killer on a rampage, killing the Brain and the Conspiracy Theorist (which I completely forgot about anyway), leaving me with very few options. I managed a murder once but then the players killed the Murder on subsequent loops. :black101:

Protagonist won the last loop with only 2 NPCs on the board. I feel I could have won with beter use of the Conspiracy Theorist, but honestly I was fumbling around quite a bit, too. They players asked for a second go as well, so I count that as a plus.

Second script I won by spreading Paranoia absolutely everywhere and bunching up characters so the Protagonists had little information to go on. We reached the last loop with the Protagonist having singled out all three culprits but without knowing that I could win by Intriguing the school, which was an easy win in the last loop.

I really like that the scripts reward the players even if they lose with little bits of information, so even losing feels rewarding as long as you learn something from the loop.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Tekopo posted:

He's absolutely correct about people being insulting/demeaning and that you should put your foot down but for the rest he acts like they aren't problems at all: they are certainly lesser problems but they can still be problems that negatively impact a night and should be prevented from happening.

Yeah, I was rolling my eyes for a lot of them but was fooled by the spot on ending.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Are there any online chess websites that allow you to make illegal moves? I want to try playing Chess 2 online with a buddy of mine

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I played Carcassonne last night for the first time in years. God drat do I love board games.

I actually haven't done much board gaming at all in a very long time. What's news? Has the medium seen anything revolutionary or otherwise super interesting in the last couple years?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Tell me, have you heard the gospel of Vlaada?

Also, Stonemaier Games is pretty new and pretty awesome. Viticulture in particular.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Meldonox posted:

Has the medium seen anything revolutionary or otherwise super interesting in the last couple years?

Pretty much. We're in the golden age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I have heard the gospel of Saint Vlaada, and my copy of Space Alert lies yet unsullied by human hands.

When I was active last I think Puzzle Strike was the big thing everyone talked about. I picked up a game or two since then and once or twice even posted here to find out what's good but I haven't really followed the hobby or any developments in it.