Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Evil Badman posted:

If for any reason either of you haven't played the Arkham series, Shadows of Mordor is the same combat system. Go play Arkham City.

After playing those you should play Mad Max. It has the same combat system and some fantastic vehicle gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

Try being suspicious with the cardboard box in a a low-moderate alert area sometime. It's a ride from start to finish.

Soldier: CP, this is Dimitri 4! I saw a cardboard box move! Over!
CP: Dimitri 4, this is CP. Knock it off. Over.

Do it a few more times and when they come over to investigate, abandon the box there. There's a much funnier radio conversation that can ensue if you've made them suspicious enough to shoot the now-empty box.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Smelly posted:

After playing those you should play Mad Max. It has the same combat system and some fantastic vehicle gameplay.

Also try Sleeping Dogs if you haven't, it has a similar combat system and some fun driving as well. It also times how long you can go without driving like a lunatic.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
So, thanks to this thread I bought MGSV yesterday and played through the first few missions, and I'm really enjoying it. I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game before, and have Zero familiarity with the underlying story. I thought it was neat that You wake up from a coma, having lost all your memories, oh look a military incursion, they're here to kill you, gotta escape... What the incredible gently caress is going on.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trust me, it's not really any different if you know all the games. Matter of fact I don't think it ever really clears up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It does. Mostly. But yeah, basically the entire plot until you get the true ending (and listen to the tapes you get afterwards) is absolutely bonkers and incomprehensible. It owns

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

My Lovely Horse posted:

Trust me, it's not really any different if you know all the games. Matter of fact I don't think it ever really clears up.

Eh, yes and no. It's a sequel to two games, prequel to the others. It stands on its own very well and for the most part all you really get is explanations that weren't completely necessary to enjoy the games they explain. The downside is that this is probably one of the best MGS games in that it's really open in how you can approach most scenarios and while it favors stealth, you can definitely just go in guns blazing which earlier games didn't really let you do as well. Going back to the old games will be rough.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

Eh, yes and no. It's a sequel to two games, prequel to the others. It stands on its own very well and for the most part all you really get is explanations that weren't completely necessary to enjoy the games they explain. The downside is that this is probably one of the best MGS games in that it's really open in how you can approach most scenarios and while it favors stealth, you can definitely just go in guns blazing which earlier games didn't really let you do as well. Going back to the old games will be rough.

MGS4 is the middle ground between the older games' handling and the newer games' shooter controls and light platforming. I never played Subsistence but I know the camera got reworked during that time so you don't have to deal with fixed angles anymore.

One of the better changes the newer games do is they don't have a big flashing red alert screen when you're in combat mode. That would discourage gunfights back then even in 4 which introduced the war economy that would be the precursor to weapon development in the Big Boss games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I enjoyed V so much that I'm actually thinking about finally playing 4. I've gone insane.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I enjoyed V so much that I'm actually thinking about finally playing 4. I've gone insane.

4 is Kojima at his most Kojima, for better or worse. If you have the time to sit around and watch a few hours' worth of cutscenes while you sneak around go for it. It has my favorite boss fights in the series.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Nuebot posted:

Also try Sleeping Dogs if you haven't, it has a similar combat system and some fun driving as well. It also times how long you can go without driving like a lunatic.

Just don't do it after playing Saints Row, where it times you on how long you can drive like a lunatic and gives you respect for near misses.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Mokinokaro posted:

Do it a few more times and when they come over to investigate, abandon the box there. There's a much funnier radio conversation that can ensue if you've made them suspicious enough to shoot the now-empty box.

How do you abandon the box?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Play Peace Walker.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Thin Privilege posted:

Press square when you're stationary and Snake will fling himself out the front. If you're on the move he'll jump forward while still in the box and ride it down hills. :haw:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Thin Privilege posted:

press the dive button. make sure you're facing away from the guards or you'll pop out in front of them.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
If you're in low profile instead of just crouch, Snake will crawl himself out instead of flinging himself out. Especially useful with the horizontal pinup posters you can put on the box.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RareAcumen posted:

Play Peace Walker.

No please don't.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

No please don't.

Don't troll

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alaois posted:

Don't troll

Peace Walker is incredibly bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Peace Walker received HD re-releases on PS3 and Xbox360.

Play Peace Walker. (HD)

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lady Naga posted:

Peace Walker is incredibly bad.

I think you mean oppressively good.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FauxGateau posted:

I think you mean oppressively good.

It requires dozens of hours of grinding for the true ending, the bosses have health pools balanced for 2-3 people even in single player, Hayter sounds like a garbage disposal, and you can't even crawl under trucks to hide. It's really bad.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Naga posted:

It requires dozens of hours of grinding for the true ending, the bosses have health pools balanced for 2-3 people even in single player, Hayter sounds like a garbage disposal, and you can't even crawl under trucks to hide. It's really bad.

"Dozens of hours" if you really suck at it maybe. I got the true end at 20 hours' playtime, pretty normal for a Metal Gear.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dewgy posted:

"Dozens of hours" if you really suck at it maybe. I got the true end at 20 hours' playtime, pretty normal for a Metal Gear.

It will take several hours of nothing but fighting bosses over and over again to get all the parts needed for Zeke alone, not to mention all the other arbitrary requirements. The only way you can get it in a regular playthrough is if you're incredibly lucky.

Also introducing Huey was really stupid but Hot Coldman is cool.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Peace walker is fantastic, really.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Naga is definitely wrong, play Peace Walker so you can fight monsters and learn how to meow from a cat

E: also go on a date with Miller

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's also clearly meant for a pick up and play style mobile device experience. If you want to play the HD Remaster on your slick plasma screen most of your time will be spent fumbling around menus since it's divided into mission chunks of maybe 3-4 minutes.

death .cab for qt posted:

Naga is definitely wrong, play Peace Walker so you can fight monsters and learn how to meow from a cat

If all you care about is dumb silly extra content that sounds a lot better on paper than actually playing it, just go watch Silent Hill 2's dog ending on a loop and save your thirty or forty dollars or whatever.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

My favourite thing about the weird co-op commands is everyone just spams Snake In/Snake Out or Meow Meow Meow, nothing else :allears: There's a good three or so dozen different phrases but why bother?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Naga posted:

It will take several hours of nothing but fighting bosses over and over again to get all the parts needed for Zeke alone, not to mention all the other arbitrary requirements. The only way you can get it in a regular playthrough is if you're incredibly lucky.

Also introducing Huey was really stupid but Hot Coldman is cool.

The non-bonus bosses are super easy to take down in minutes once your weapons are upgraded. The PKM just shreds them to pieces and you get tons of parts by aiming for the AI core only. :shrug:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dewgy posted:

The non-bonus bosses are super easy to take down in minutes once your weapons are upgraded. The PKM just shreds them to pieces and you get tons of parts by aiming for the AI core only. :shrug:

Boy that sounds like a fun experience!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Naga posted:

Boy that sounds like a fun experience!

It... was? Seriously if you managed to need dozens of hours to beat PW, I hate to break it to you, but you're bad at video games.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dewgy posted:

It... was? Seriously if you managed to need dozens of hours to beat PW, I hate to break it to you, but you're bad at video games.

I mean if your idea of fun is repeatedly fighting the same bosses over and over again with no challenge, hoping that the RNG gives you exactly what you need in the shortest time possible then you might as well just go play roulette or something.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Naga posted:

I mean if your idea of fun is repeatedly fighting the same bosses over and over again with no challenge, hoping that the RNG gives you exactly what you need in the shortest time possible then you might as well just go play roulette or something.

It was like three boss fights to have everything I needed. It really wasn't that bad.

Speaking of Peace Walker actually I really liked how in the bonus missions with ghosts, you could beat the ghosts by resuscitating their bodies.

Then fultoning them. :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Or you can team up with a few buds, drink beers, and fight a giant ai-controlled monster with a human slingshot or rail gun. The fights themselves are fun, especially in co-op, which is the focus of the initial post game before the TRUE FINAL BOSS.

Did you even play this part of the game or are you just poo pooing it based on the perceived slight of a video game having replayable sections you run through a handful of times to unlock cool stuff

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Or you can team up with a few buds, drink beers, and fight a giant ai-controlled monster with a human slingshot or rail gun. The fights themselves are fun, especially in co-op, which is the focus of the initial post game before the TRUE FINAL BOSS.

Did you even play this part of the game or are you just poo pooing it based on the perceived slight of a video game having replayable sections you run through a handful of times to unlock cool stuff

Why should you even need to do that for the true ending? What other Metal Gear game in the history of the series locks plot-relevant information behind grinding?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lady Naga posted:

You seem really upset that other people might have enjoyed this game that you don't like.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Geniasis posted:

You seem really upset that other people might have enjoyed this game that you don't like.

"Daikatana is a bad game"
"I disagree"
"No really, it's bad. It's riddled with bugs, the level design sucks, it's half-finished and none of the weapons feel good to use."
"GEE WHY ARE YOU GETTING SO MAD THAT PEOPLE LIKE A GAME YOU DON'T LIKE!?"

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014
See though, this conversation is more like:
"Peace Walker is a bad game."
"I disagree" (x10)
"NO, YOU HAVE TO GRIND TO GET THE TRUE ENDING AND YOU CAN'T GO UNDER CARS AND IT WASN'T FUN."

Like, at a certain point you just have to say that maybe it's just not your kind of game, or that it's not what you want out of MGS instead of just saying that it's awful over and over.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lady Naga posted:

"Daikatana is a bad game"
"I disagree"
"No really, it's bad. It's riddled with bugs, the level design sucks, it's half-finished and none of the weapons feel good to use."
"GEE WHY ARE YOU GETTING SO MAD THAT PEOPLE LIKE A GAME YOU DON'T LIKE!?"

i bet it took you dozens of hours to finish "you have to burn the rope" too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

SomeIdiot posted:

See though, this conversation is more like:
"Peace Walker is a bad game."
"I disagree" (x10)
"NO, YOU HAVE TO GRIND TO GET THE TRUE ENDING AND YOU CAN'T GO UNDER CARS AND IT WASN'T FUN."

I mean except for the part where I had multiple points of contention which everyone ignored to harp specifically on the fact that I had used the wording "dozens of hours" and that I never used the term "fun" once and the weird tone arguments everyone always jumps on me for since I apparently sound "upset" the minute I disagree with anyone and...