Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jerusalem posted:

There will probably be criticism of England kicking for the corner when they could have potentially equalized, which will be a shame because I loved that they had the balls to do that and play for the win rather than the rather dull but safe kicking for points.

Japan going for the win rather than draw v SA was the right move, I don't think this was the right move for England though. Now they will most likely lose to Australia and fail to qualify whereas with a draw they would at least had another card to play to qualify via bonus points and +/- depending on how things shake out.

edit: yep look at that table, a draw was as good as a win for England. They hosed up big time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

goatface posted:

I'd like to see them go balls to the wall against everyone, push the envelope of acceptable casualties v games being won

The Soviet method.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

7 runs for 20 metres, 7 tackles, one missed

Burgess

England's man of the tournament.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Australia to cruise to pool A victory

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
I thought the throw to front of the lineout suggested England didn't really have a clue what to do. The All Blacks have a few set plays for these situations (remember Tony Woodcock against France?), Japan had a nice one against Scotland, but England went for a bog standard maul. Surely this is the situation you pull out your trick play?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The good news - Wales makes it to the final.

The bad news - there's only one man left on the team.

The amazing news - It's Rhys Priestland.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Hilarious outcome, more than makes up for the over indulgent England coverage. Can't wait til the wallabies beat them now too.

Burgess and Barritt did what they always do, i.e. run straight forward all the loving time. JJ was a big miss but Wales were sharper when it mattered tonight. Plaid fuckin cyrmu or what ever the Welsh say when they slay an enemy!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Who knew all Wales needed to do to win was get rid of most of their first team.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Painkiller posted:

I thought the throw to front of the lineout suggested England didn't really have a clue what to do. The All Blacks have a few set plays for these situations (remember Tony Woodcock against France?), Japan had a nice one against Scotland, but England went for a bog standard maul. Surely this is the situation you pull out your trick play?

England's lineout isn't reliable enough for trick plays.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ultragonk posted:

Who knew all Wales needed to do to win was get rid of most of their first team.

I think that was everyone in Wales not named Gatland. Maybe he'll be forced to bring Hook back from exile now.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think that was everyone in Wales not named Gatland. Maybe he'll be forced to bring Hook back from exile now.

As long as he's in centre.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Really glad I decided SA vs Samoa would be the match to skip watching today.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Burgess and Barritt did what they always do, i.e. run straight forward all the loving time.

This was my problem with the lineup. Any of Farrell Burgess or Barritt would have been defensible selections, but all three of them has zero creativity or ability to get the ball to the wings. All the back three's decent touches came from bad Walves kicking or broken plays.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Wales can easily gently caress this up against Fiji mind.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

DickEmery posted:

Wales can easily gently caress this up against Fiji mind.

Yes but we just beat england in twickers at their own world cup so literally nothing else matters.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

goatface posted:

England's lineout isn't reliable enough for trick plays.

I've said for ages that youngs set piece play isn't good enough for test rugby, he's a hell of a player around the park on his good days but he's just too iffy at line out time for me. Previous posts saying the line out call was bad are right, going short is typically your 'banker' ball that you know will work, but being reduced to calling your safest ball at the most critical moment is a sign of weakness.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I'm going to contain my excitement until Fallingdown Joe gets back from his gig, so he doesn't feel like he's the only man in Wales to find out about this at 2 in the morning.

Can I stress enough that Wales beat England with a back three of Rhys Priestland, Alex Cuthbert and Justin Tipuric?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I've said for ages that youngs set piece play isn't good enough for test rugby, he's a hell of a player around the park on his good days but he's just too iffy at line out time for me. Previous posts saying the line out call was bad are right, going short is typically your 'banker' ball that you know will work, but being reduced to calling your safest ball at the most critical moment is a sign of weakness.

Going for the lineout in the first place was a terrible decision, a draw was just as good as a win for England and they bungled it.

edit: mistakenly counted England's bonus point today in my calculations, but still...England have Uruguay still to play while Wales' equivalent fixture is Fiji so England were in the box seat if it came down to +/- with a drawn game here.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 26, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Fallen Rib
Is it too late to resurrect Wilkinson?

Tragic Peculiar
May 22, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

The Soviet method.

Does this make Gatland Stalin?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tyma posted:

I'm going to contain my excitement until Fallingdown Joe gets back from his gig, so he doesn't feel like he's the only man in Wales to find out about this at 2 in the morning.

Can I stress enough that Wales beat England with a back three of Rhys Priestland, Alex Cuthbert and Justin Tipuric?

You can, but nobody would believe such an implausible lie.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well god loving damnit.

Back to supporting Scotland I guess. At least they can actually win a loving game.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yes but we just beat england in twickers at their own world cup so literally nothing else matters.

Literally the only thing. We will be singing about this a hundred years from now.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

England could have selected good players like Steffon Armitage, Burell, Slade and Abendanon. But instead pick useless shite like Haskell, Baritt and Burgess. Idiots.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

Well god loving damnit.

Back to supporting Scotland I guess. At least they can actually win a loving game.

Don't pin your hopes on us, we'll just break your heart tomorrow.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

You Scots have taken Dylan Thomas right into your hearts. You're going to lose but you do not go gentle into that good night.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Vaders Jester posted:

I'm quarter-Scottish by birth, so it's the natural thing to do.

As you can probably guess, I'm used to having my heart broken. :smith::hf::scotland:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 26, 2015

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Ultragonk posted:

You Scots have taken Dylan Thomas right into your hearts. You're going to lose but you do not go gentle into that good night.

SCotland are very good at playing just slightly worse than their opposition, no matter who they are. Brave in defeat might as well be the team motto.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Scotland are going to beat the us.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

HappyCamperGL posted:

England could have selected good players like Steffon Armitage, Burell, Slade and Abendanon. But instead pick useless shite like Haskell, Baritt and Burgess. Idiots.

I'm looking forward to the post tournament feeding frenzy where everyone tears that decision apart.

Bath were an RFU sign off from getting Armitage over for the second half of the season, but the RFU wouldn't guarantee the reigning European player of the year a place in the World Cup squad so the deal fell through. Instead we have Burgess.

I do feel bad for Burgess, it's not his fault Lancaster has an inexplicable boner for his 'leadership qualities'

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:unsmith: at this WC so far except for the vile Scots beating Japan

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They will hammer them in a faultless display of snappy set pieces, fluid running, and dominance at the breakdown. They will look like a team who would make the All Blacks seem clumsy and disorganised, who could take on the rest of the world XV and win comfortably. But they're only playing the USA.

As soon as they meet real opposition they will lose, because they are Scotland.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

four more years

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

As soon as they meet real opposition they will lose, because they are Scotland.

And still they will go into the next 6N believing they can win, I wish I had Scottish relatives.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Steffon Armitage is better than both Wood and Robshaw. He wins and carries ball better than both of them but he has the temerity to earn his living in France.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Tyma posted:

And scrum half Lloyd Williams, following up his cameo as a centre last weekend, covering as a winger and giving the assist for the winning try. Who needs a fully fit squad playing in position when you have High Priest Gatland and his human sacrifices?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I really hope Gavin Henson gets a call up. (pic slightly related.)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Real winner here is NH Rugby. Definitely showing up the pansy SH teams. 13 penalties, 2 tries, that's how it's done son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

If you didn't love that match then you don't love rugby I guess

E: who needs tries when you have English tears?