Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Had a hermaphrodite as a supporting character.

Who? What? The gently caress? Are you talking about the weaponized kid who gets turned into a giant doll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

death .cab for qt posted:

Who? What? The gently caress? Are you talking about the weaponized kid who gets turned into a giant doll?

Kaine

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

Perhaps rather than "becoming" Jack the Ripper I could have said he assumes the mantle. The events of the game push him further and further towards this event but thats not really who he "was" at thbeginning. It's the end of a path he reached after rejecting the peaceful life he had attained at the end of MGS4. Just like Big Boss, killing bad people doesn't mean you aren't also bad. At the end of the game after he has embraced his new self and specifically chosen Big Boss's path he has cut ties with all his friends and support network. He's no longer even a person, simply another weapon in a war without end.

You are mistaken. It isn't a story of Raiden regressing to his childlike form at all. Raiden goes full Jack the Ripper, at least as full JtR as he is in the game, during the fight with Monsoon. Jetstream Sam sees this, Blade Wolf Sees this, everyone sees it. However, his character arc doesn't suddenly stop 3/5ths of the way through the game. The power enables him to surpass his previous barriers but he still isn't complete.

At the start of the game, Raiden doesn't even really know why he returned to work as a PMC. He's fighting, he's good at it but he kind of blocks out that voice of his that says he enjoys it, and it holds him back. Sam knows why he's fighting, he's sure of himself but something is still missing. Because of this, Sam easily beats Raiden. During their duel near the end of the game, it's almost the exact opposite.

However it isn't until the fight with Armstrong where Raiden manages to accept himself as a whole. He wants to do good in the world, he wants to save everybody but he also loves fighting. When he finally transcends the "you pissed me off. I want to kill you." stage with Armstrong and accepts and integrates the two parts of his personality completely, Platinum rewards the character for this the best way they can, with a new weapon.

I'd argue that in being able to accept his true nature and do proper good with it, Raiden becomes more like Solid Snake than Big Boss, whose unaccepted Oedipus complex somehow made him go nuke crazy.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I turned into demon snake after a few hours of FOBing today, I guess murdering all the guards adds up.
I turned back into normal snake after disarming 12 nukes though so :shrug:

All this Revengeance talk makes me want to actually go install and play it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

So, MGSV is game that takes hundreds of hours to complete and has potentially infinite replayability... And at the end the game takes away one of your buddies permanently.

Can't help but to commendate Kojima for such a ballsy choice.

Yeah, losing Quiet seems like a real dick move – as you were saying this isn't really the kind of game that calls for multiple save files. In fact, I think you'd have to delete your data from the console if you wanted to start over.

Really what I think would have made sense would have been if you had the last Quiet mission halfway through the game or something, you lost her, and then you got some side ops later on to rescue her. It might have taken away from some of the ambiguity/poignance of the ending, but it just seems more fair to the player.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So it's completely confirmed that after you lose Quiet and then redo missions 11 and 14, you don't get her back? Because I assume this, but every time someone brings it up, no one has confirmed.

I can't test it because I haven't lost Quiet yet.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

So it's completely confirmed that after you lose Quiet and then redo missions 11 and 14, you don't get her back? Because I assume this, but every time someone brings it up, no one has confirmed.

I can't test it because I haven't lost Quiet yet.

She doesn't come back. She is showing up in my brig though.
(the menu brig, not on the med platform). But still can't use her as a buddy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Remember folks who haven't done the mission where she leaves: If your emblem contains the butterfly part, the mission where she leaves can't trigger. You won't be able to 100% the game, but you'll be able to keep the second-best companion forever.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also if you're on PC there's an easy mod that returns her because gently caress having to give up anything in my video game. I don't even use Quiet, it's like the height of decadence just to have her around.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
So did anyone else get Code Talker watching on from the background during the Quiet/Big Boss rain scene? It was right before it ends when Quiet is walking away, Code Talker's just chillin there in his wheelchair and it makes everything so much better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

So did anyone else get Code Talker watching on from the background during the Quiet/Big Boss rain scene? It was right before it ends when Quiet is walking away, Code Talker's just chillin there in his wheelchair and it makes everything so much better.

I want to think he saw The Boss and Ocelot doing the rain scene.

"loving bilagaana"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

poptart_fairy posted:

Reminds me of my favourite conversation from Revengeance:

MGS protagonists are such dorks. :allears:

Blade Wolf: I am setting goal markers on your soliton radar.
Raiden: Hmm. Good boy.
Blade Wolf: I will ignore the condescension and take that as a compliment.

And, of course, the greatest line in Metal Gear history.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I want to think he saw The Boss and Ocelot doing the rain scene.

"loving bilagaana"

I want to imagine the parasites told him what was happening and he was like "oh man, I gotta be there in person for this"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shine posted:

Blade Wolf: I am setting goal markers on your soliton radar.
Raiden: Hmm. Good boy.
Blade Wolf: I will ignore the condescension and take that as a compliment.

And, of course, the greatest line in Metal Gear history.

Sorry, I think you meant to link this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmQxXPOMMY

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

CJacobs posted:

Sorry, I think you meant to link this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmQxXPOMMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pLDrZQTf8

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4goJID2X9U

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
This is the part that solidified my love for Raiden and reinforced my belief that he's the best character in the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryp44Tm_c0M#t=1m37

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Actual best lines coming through https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NzkY-4owW0

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yep you nailed it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDvQGGZzfI

"We've managed to avoid drowning!"

"Good job."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDvQGGZzfI

"We've managed to avoid drowning!"

"Good job."

that's so good. The delivery of both lines. Raiden is so proud.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Castor Poe posted:

This is the part that solidified my love for Raiden and reinforced my belief that he's the best character in the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryp44Tm_c0M#t=1m37

And the codec conversation afterward where it turned out he sincerely thought that was a normal everyday outfit, and not the equivalent of somebody trying to blend into a US city by dressing like George Clinton. :allears:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
"At last, we have our smoking gun!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Avoid drowning is my favourite but all of the Revengeance videos posted are great as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOiIMr6SrZo

Shame about the quality, but old classic.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Romes128 posted:

2 is good but you have to tolerate some irritating dialogue. Not ham fisted and weird poo poo like some of the other games, but every time someone tells Raiden something he answers back the same thing in the form of a question. "The Patriots are behind this" "The Patriots? " Or "They have a metal gear" "A metal gear?" It's seriously annoying once you notice he does it in almost every conversation.

Just finished MGS1 and Snake is the same, it's really annoying.

On the subject of MGS1, gently caress you guncamera hidden directly above a door I'm coming through and other similar rage inducing devices.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Shine posted:

And the codec conversation afterward where it turned out he sincerely thought that was a normal everyday outfit, and not the equivalent of somebody trying to blend into a US city by dressing like George Clinton. :allears:

Now imagine Raiden trying to pass incognito in an Indian reservation.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Castor Poe posted:

Now imagine Raiden trying to pass incognito in an Indian reservation.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Drinkfist posted:

Hideo Kojima was given 50-70 Million Bucks to make Metal Gear Solid 4 and Three years of development after it was announced in 2005. MGS4 was also directed and written by Shuyo Murata with Hideo Kojima being tacked on later in the project when psychopathic fans sent Konami death threats even after Hideo said Snake Eater was gonna be the last one and if there was gonna be a fourth he was gonna have someone else write and direct it.

Now we have Hideo here with a 80 Million + budget and solo directing and their very own "Best Engine in the World" in house Fox Engine with another Three years of development from announcement and the Release of Ground Zeroes as a sort of prologue. In return we get a game that is literally unfinished.

- The story is a complete unholy mess and 70+% of it is in the audio cassettes.
- It is clearly apparent to anyone that plays the game that it feels like they cut a third zone out. Not to mention that Africa is filled with massive pockets of negative possibility space.
- They cut out the conclusion to the Eli arc. http://imgur.com/a/TcS6c
- The FOB system is loving weird.
- They padded the gently caress out of Missions and Side Ops with a large number of them taking place in the same part of the world with nearly identical objectives.

Even with all the signs of desperation I see to pad out the game its still a really fun open world game. My issue is that it isn't a loving Metal Gear game.

Metal gear games are all about being on a single mission to get something done. There is a leader bad guy and he has a team of loving weirdos with superpowers and insane rants and they are standing in your way. There is a bunch of people calling you on the radio to update you on the situation and progressing the story. There are a fuckton of cutscenes to the point it is almost a loving movie. The plot twists and turns like a roller coaster as something that should be straightforward is skewed heavily by complications. You could never tell what was gonna happen next. The boss fights were stacked against you and sneaking though areas without detection were far more intense.

Instead what I got was a mission that I am constantly told is "Kill Skull Face" and then I do everything but that and he ends up being foiled by something I had nothing to do with. His three "weirdos" literally have zero dialogue and personality. Miller and Ocelot are on the radio simply narrating your actions. There is is only a handful of cutscenes that are super short. The entire story could be predicted easily hours beforehand. The major boss fights of the game could either be cheesed with a loving tank and walker at your disposal or you could one shot the boss and even had the choice to walk away from the fight entirely. I didn't even have to move from the starting position to clear the Quiet fight on extreme. Every loving mission where you could stealth is ruined with traq sniper rifles and folton spam, there is no intensity when you also have buddies that can kill everyone for you or just drop a loving bomb on their base and never set off an alarm. Its a loving cake walk.

This is a Grand Theft Auto/Far Cry sandbox game with Metal Gear characters in it.

They missed their own theme. They poorly planned their game out with the massive budget at their disposal. They padded the gently caress out of the content. They took us all to the beach and showed us the sand but forgot they were supposed to build a castle. Then this rear end in a top hat who sold me this has the loving balls to release a video about how awesome he is and that cancer kids were literally dying to play it. He didn't make a Metal Gear game is my problem. I paid sixty bucks for something else. It is fun, but it is not what I wanted.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Budget
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mgs-5-phantom-pain-cost-konami-over-80m-fuelling-speculation-hideo-kojima-split-1513796

Metal Gear Solid 4 Budget
https://web.archive.org/web/20131106085806/http://blog.knowyourmoney.co.uk/index.php/2008/08/10-most-expensive-video-game-budgets-ever

I agree with every single thing you said, it makes me sad to think this is what metal gear solid has ended on.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
If you replay Mission 43 (the Quarantine Mission), do you actually lose all the staff and heroism all over again or does the game throw you a bone and just simulate the losses? I don't want to risk finding out.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Posted this in the other MGS thread but this one seems more active for near-end-of-game stuff:

So uh I'm on the same boat as I'm sure 99% of players are at end game in that I didn't use a butterfly emblem before Quiet ran away.

However, I haven't done any of the missions after she runs away in order to find her. Is there any way I can mod her back or retrieve an old steam cloud file to just before the Huey trial? I want to save her story arc end for after I'm done with the rest of the game. I know that once she dies in the Disappearance mission you can mod her back in, but not before that? I don't want to do that series of missions now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Metallic Archaea EX is horse poo poo without Quiet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's no way to regress your progress with a mod so unless you have a save from before she buggered off, you're doomed. You can mod her back in as you know, but I've no idea how to retrieve old Steam cloud saves if it's even possible.

In It For The Tank posted:

If you replay Mission 43 (the Quarantine Mission), do you actually lose all the staff and heroism all over again or does the game throw you a bone and just simulate the losses? I don't want to risk finding out.

I replayed it and I don't think I lost anyone that time. You do lose the Heroism.

e: I didn't find it Archaea EX any harder than usual without Quiet because the Serval is a monster and hangar roof strats are nigh on infallible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Aurain posted:

e: I didn't find it Archaea EX any harder than usual without Quiet because the Serval is a monster and hangar roof strats are nigh on infallible.

The Serval is loving hilarious. Will even gently caress up tanks in a surprisingly small number of shots.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You guys have a hosed up definition about what a "real Metal Gear game" is

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A real metal gear game is a game where you can play with guards, put bombs on their butts and admire sexy men.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Vic Boss posted:

Posted this in the other MGS thread but this one seems more active for near-end-of-game stuff:

So uh I'm on the same boat as I'm sure 99% of players are at end game in that I didn't use a butterfly emblem before Quiet ran away.

However, I haven't done any of the missions after she runs away in order to find her. Is there any way I can mod her back or retrieve an old steam cloud file to just before the Huey trial? I want to save her story arc end for after I'm done with the rest of the game. I know that once she dies in the Disappearance mission you can mod her back in, but not before that? I don't want to do that series of missions now.

why are you spoiler tagging in the spoiler thread?

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

GERONIMO!

*Raiden gets on a cyborg war horse and flies off into the distance*

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
When I see people complaining about "this isn't a true Metal Gear game"

I just feel like... okay Hideo could keep making the same game over and over or he can make something different... and he did and I had a lot of fun playing it.

Maybe I'm nuts but for me, MGS4 ended this whole saga so conclusively that I didn't care that this game was a weird detour in any way.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Serval is great on Archaea Extreme, as are the mortars on the rooftop of the airport terminal. The Skulls are programmed to kinda keep their distance so they'll usually teleport to the ground in front of the terminal and you can just shell the everloving gently caress out of them. That or learn to CQC counter them like a true Big Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Castor Poe posted:

GERONIMO!

*Raiden gets on a cyborg war horse and flies off into the distance*

*140+ year-old Code Talker just stares before wheeling his wheelchair away and muttering about the weird-rear end bilagáanas he keeps running into*

• Locked thread