Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The base game is already included/bundled with Horizons, you just have to wait until it's released to play.

I think they'll probably stop selling the base game at that point, and Horizons will become their new base product (ready for the same trick the year after).

frank.club posted:

With the added bonus of it actually being released then
Heh, yeah.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

If someone already had ED and then bought the lifetime expansion pass when it was available, would they have an extra copy of the ED base game to give to a friend?

I believe the answer is unfortunately No. :(

:frogsiren: Also about to start streaming in VR again. Join up and experience Elite Exploration in VR :)

Also if you have Google Cardboard, A Rift, GearVR, or any other headset, give it a shot. :getin:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The multi-crew thing has me ready to buy the expansion when it hits. I hope its thoroughly implemented with something like crew-stations etc.

oRGy
May 8, 2014
Elite:Dangerous is in my eyes following an iPhone release schedule. Season 2 is like version iOS 2.0. And so on. The problem is that we are currently on the 1.X 2007 iPhone release.

The first year was basically getting the key components (universe, multiplayer infrastructure, moment to moment combat, basic array of apps / ships) ready.

The problem is if you are expecting an iOS 7+ experience, you will be disappointed. I think the game has a lot of potential, but it wont be till Season 3 that the parts start coming together in a way that could challenge games like EVE in terms of logical consistency, rich gameplay, agency to player groups, better networking infrastructure, unbroken game systems.

Sucks to wait, but their philosophy (explained e.g. by Braben at EGX regarding hair on the character faces) is that they dont want to present a new feature to the public without it looking and feeling somewhat complete first. They also have no clue how to balance ships according to roles, or how to implement an ingame economy that makes any logical sense in an MMO context.

sorry couldnt find reddit-friendly car analogy :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: Nevermind, I did math and it's cheaper to buy now.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 26, 2015

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Dandywalken posted:

The multi-crew thing has me ready to buy the expansion when it hits. I hope its thoroughly implemented with something like crew-stations etc.

They've made no indication that Multicrew includes SpaceLegs (TM). Walking around is still a ways down the line as far as we know, and I suspect that's where we'll see changes to stations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I just noticed this is ~$25 on Steam right now and I've been wanting it for a while. That said: Some people have been mentioning that there's an expansion going to drop soon and that there are rumors it's going to be full price $60 and include the base game with it. Has there been any official mention on pricing or reductions or anything?

Those aren't rumours, the pricing was confirmed ages ago.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Alehkhs posted:

They've made no indication that Multicrew includes SpaceLegs (TM). Walking around is still a ways down the line as far as we know, and I suspect that's where we'll see changes to stations.

Oh I meant like one dude controls the ship itself, other buddy controls a weapon battery etc.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
My newbie experience in a nutshell:

I log in to the game and stumble through the tutorials, getting my rear end kicked in the skirmish until I learn how optimal turning speed and how my joystick works.

Start in a random sector, and bumble my way out into space. At this point I realized I have a free Eagle waiting for me, because I bought this game a year ago. I decide to fly that because it's fast and has 33% more pew pew than a sidewinder. I decide I want to shoot dudes for money, so I do that for a little bit.

A gracious goonsir helps me jump around and gives me about 800,000 credits in the form of gold containers, that we accidently dupe a whole bunch of.

At this point I buy better parts for my eagle and jump down to heverduduna, ready to shootmans.

I really want to die a whole bunch in pvp, and shoot dudes in the name of space frogs, but as far as I understand that isn't happening until the next patch?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Just so no one gets their hopes up, there is no and probably will never be any pvp with the faction stuff. You can fight other players but it has absolutely no bearing on the faction/power control of stuff beyond making whoever loses sad and maybe they do less for their side.

On top of that everyone can choose to play in a solo version of the galaxy and they have the exact same impact on factions/powers as anyone playing in the multiplayer version.

Maybe we'll organize some sort of pvp events with other player groups but that doesn't translate into territory control. It's not like eve where you shoot each others stations.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
But can we interdict nerds and take their space stuff as a rowdy gang of space hooligans? This is crucial.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TwingeCrag posted:

But can we interdict nerds and take their space stuff as a rowdy gang of space hooligans? This is crucial.

Yes because lots of people play in open anyway, even if just trading. They could go solo but not everyone does so???

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KakerMix posted:

Yes because lots of people play in open anyway, even if just trading. They could go solo but not everyone does so???

One time a robbed a guy and he very politely sat still waiting for me to send some cargo breakers out. I was so loving perplexed by this that he sent me a message asking if I could hurry up robbing him, as he was running low on oxygen.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Met posted:

Eve is too much, Elite is too little. But Elite doesn't have a monthly sub so I don't feel compelled to stick it out and log in all the time to update skill training.

So is the game not that deep then? If so that is a shame. I did see a view reviews about how the game never really picks up or that it is quite shallow for what it it is. Is a game with not a ton of end game content or not worth putting a lot of time into? Also are joysticks viable as a control method for the game?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Joysticks are the preferred way to play for most people. It's a lot more fun that way.

If you enjoy flying a spaceship around and shooting stuff then it's a fun game and you should buy it. If you don't then unless you can really get off on looking up trading tables and running routes to make your balance go higher you can probably skip it. I like flying a spaceship around and shooting stuff so it's a good game for me. Not really deep though.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Joysticks are a really good way to control your ship. Mouse and keyboard can also be fine, if you rebind things, because the default binds aren't great.

There's no 'end game' at all, really. You progression manifests as the largest ship you're able to afford. As others have mentioned, this is the sort of game where you make your own fun. Think of E:D as an immersive, objective-less spaceship sandbox.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Haven't played the game in ages, but this multi-crew talk got me thinking about local co-op. Has anyone tried dividing the controls between a keyboard and gamepad so that two people can work together to control a ship?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Haven't played the game in ages, but this multi-crew talk got me thinking about local co-op. Has anyone tried dividing the controls between a keyboard and gamepad so that two people can work together to control a ship?

Multi crew isn't out yet so we can only speculate, but based on what they've said one person flies the ship, the other(s) do things to enhance it. Control remains with one person.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Oh I meant as the game currently is. I know I used a combination of gamepad and keyboard when I played, but I think with the right division of labor, the game could be fun with two people playing at once.

Edit: Maybe with flight assist off and a bunch of the thrusters mapped to the keyboard along with targeting and chaff and such.

Count Mippipopolous fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 27, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Oh I meant as the game currently is. I know I used a combination of gamepad and keyboard when I played, but I think with the right division of labor, the game could be fun with two people playing at once.

Edit: Maybe with flight assist off and a bunch of the thrusters mapped to the keyboard along with targeting and chaff and such.

My mistake. Yeah you could totally do that, share controls over whatever peripherals you want. The game doesn't seem to care what is being used for what so you could have as many people controlling as many things as you'd please. The problem would be there is only one pov. Thus you can't have people look at the map while the ship is flying, or looking to the right to turn on and off modules and still see straight ahead.
However with real multi crew you could have all of that and more.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I took my stream exploring the other day, looking for a Black hole simply because I hadn't encountered one yet.

Our destination was 40 Upsilon-2 Hydrae, choosen because it has both a black hole and a neutron star. It is also a very silly system in other ways. My ship is a Diamondback explorer kitted for exploring. Guns were left on because I wasn't going that far and you never know.

We came across this lovely little binary system enroute.

And flew between the suns, a move that some of the stream thought might be suicidal, forgetting that Space Is Big.

Really Big.

Last jump lined up.

Arrival. And the discovery that we have a friend - see the pink dot above the sun? That's not an entity in the system, but a graphical artifact, cause we think by the black hole's special shader effects. Stream decided that it was my fairy spirit guide and called it Navi. HEY LISTEN!

Black hole on the scanner

A quick look at how ridiculous this system is - 73 entities, mostly stars. Rubbish stars, but still, stars.

Here's what we came for, the black hole, observable via the gravitational lensing. Sadly the lensing doesn't apply to in-system things, only the skybox, but still, pretty.

A last look back at the system before flying away to sell data.

The neutron star was both boring and dangerous.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SkySteak posted:

So is the game not that deep then? If so that is a shame. I did see a view reviews about how the game never really picks up or that it is quite shallow for what it it is. Is a game with not a ton of end game content or not worth putting a lot of time into? Also are joysticks viable as a control method for the game?

In a lot of ways it's literally Space Engine with an amazingly good flight model and some light gameplay systems tacked on. For what it's worth, I have basically nothing but complaints about the way the game has developed and I still hop on to shoot spacemans from time to time since the flight/combat model is far and away better than any other space sim in recent memory. The problem is that there's just really no depth or challenge to anything beyond that.

For under thirty bucks it's not a bad game, but still probably better to wait for Horizons.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Angrymog posted:

40 Upsilon-2 Hydrae

Wow, that's not too far away at all. I know what I'm doing today!

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

drat, it's few weeks I'm not following things and the last newsletter looks beefy like gently caress me sideways in zero g with no oxygen tank.

quote:

Ship-Launched Fighters can be docked in your ship's hold to give you a far greater range of options to tackle any situation in which you find yourself. Deploy your fighter under AI control or take the stick yourself and fly into battle while your mothership lies in wait.

quote:

Multi-Crew lets you fly in the same ship with friends, which will up the intensity and camaraderie levels of a joint mission even further! You’ll be able to share and alternate control of weapons systems, turrets and flight duties to multiply your effectiveness. Even to the extent of piloting a ship-launched fighter and working in combination with the mothership.

quote:

The all-new Commander Creator brings your in-game presence to life for the first time, and lets you identify friends with a quick glance across your ship's bridge. Its the first step in the longer term plans we have for you, Commander…

The Viper Mk IV

SteamVR support starting from Horizon.

Did I miss something? :eyepop:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Yeah that's all we've been talking about for the last few pages, ignoring like the three posts above yours. It was all revealed at EGX a few days ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Em7TLwFifE

I have just about everything we know about 1.5/horizons that is confirmed in the first post, which I'm trying to keep up to date (I could probably be organizing it better).

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 27, 2015

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Had a lot of fun yesterday in my 2nd day of YouTube Gaming streaming.

Met up with Kermit and Al again and had a mix of Exploration of the Stellar Farm in VR as well as some CQC. Took me a bit to get into the groove in CQC as those higher tier Eagles are a royal pain in the rear end when a good pilot is flying one, but overall the last match was a downright stomp which was fun.

Looking to get on again later today but might give Twitch a shot.

Also working to find some good Googly eyes as well as a Kermit bobblehead to put on my Rift.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CQC in VR! Stream is back up on Twitch.tv tonight.

Going to see if I can get a positive Win/Loss after last night. :argh:

Also Teamspeak chat is up at lanfest.teamspeak.com Channel : CQC Beta in VR (Click C till you find it in the list of crap) Password : matchmaker

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I just got this game and a Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS. Do I need to get a certain key binding file for best results? I've never used a joystick before so IDK what I'm doing. Selecting the T Flight in controls gives me movement but seems like the buttons don't do anything..? I could be wrong.

Googling showed me a Giant Bomb reference sheet with tons of stuff but no way to set it up.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

How quickly the wars of the past are forgotten. :froggonk:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Friend who is getting into the game came over and played around with HOTAS, loved it and wants to get his own

But I cannot recommend the X55 because I'm still having lovely idiot Random Button Press issues

It took me out of rotational correction 3 loving times while trying to land today like come on

X52 have this issue? What's another brand he can look towards, preferably one that's a bit cheaper than my X55

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The x52 is reliable. It looks and feels like a piece of poo poo but it's more durable than you think. It's also seamless with elite (and pretty much all games I use a HOTAS for).

I will be trading up to a CH setup eventually but the x52 is fine.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
X52 pro is a good stick, 3 of my friends have them and have zero issues. Just make sure you get the pro one, it's slightly more expensive, but I hear non-pro was plagued by the usual saitek low quality build issues.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Schroeder91 posted:

I just got this game and a Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS. Do I need to get a certain key binding file for best results? I've never used a joystick before so IDK what I'm doing. Selecting the T Flight in controls gives me movement but seems like the buttons don't do anything..? I could be wrong.

Googling showed me a Giant Bomb reference sheet with tons of stuff but no way to set it up.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16140&page=13&p=1185166&viewfull=1#post1185166

This will get you started.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's really sad because Saitek's stuff was really high-quality until Madcatz bought them in 2007. Madcatz fucks up everything they touch :(

I've got a non-Pro x52 from 2004 and it still works like a loving champ, I've abused the poo poo out of that stick and it's still perfectly aligned and all my buttons, scrollwheels, and hats work flawlessly.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 28, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Truga posted:

X52 pro is a good stick, 3 of my friends have them and have zero issues. Just make sure you get the pro one, it's slightly more expensive, but I hear non-pro was plagued by the usual saitek low quality build issues.

The pro is a little better. I have the base model and it works fine (but looks and feels crappy).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I guess I've just been proven wrong. Maybe there was a bad batch because I remember a lot of people whining about their broken non-pros :shrug:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, the non-pro is fine, even though it looks and feels like cheap junk. I've had mine for like four years now and it's held up to lots of regular use and just outright being dumped into drawers and stuff. I think a lot of the negativity just comes from the fact that it doesn't feel solid, but it's not actually poorly built at all.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Thanks. I saw someone reference this on another forum but their link was dead and I couldn't find it.

So far I've been playing the default scheme with my own changes and Hotas is awesome!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Thanks for the recs guys I'll pass it on

Enjoyed doing some non-declared RES today, on the way out at 44% hull found a USS a light-sec from the place I was heading, dropped out and it was a sole Anaconda

I would have tried it, I really would have, but I had a ton of bounties to turn in and at 44% hull that is risky against such a big ship

One day he will be easy pickins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Schroeder91 posted:

Thanks. I saw someone reference this on another forum but their link was dead and I couldn't find it.

So far I've been playing the default scheme with my own changes and Hotas is awesome!

I have no less than three dedicated "shift" buttons - one for combat combos, one for targeting combos, and one for utility poo poo like the FSD and the landing gear and scoop.

I only use the keyboard to chat and to jettison cargo.

I think if I get some mad-money, I am going to get one of them steel battalion controllers and rig that poo poo up

• Locked thread