Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
is there a place to get any omnipollo in indiana or ohio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

A few Denver notes:
- I'm not sure why I keep ending evenings at Falling Rock but I do anyway. Last night they tapped five or so CCB sour beers and it was the most well-behaved mob scene I've ever seen. An enormous crowd trying to order beer over the people sitting down, some of which found themselves rather helpless as they tried to eat dinner. I had Swerve, a barrel-aged ale with apricots that was very pleasant, but didn't bother trying to go back for any others.
- Hit up a couple places with handsome SA forums poster HatfulOfHollow. TRVE was pretty metal, though I think nowhere near as metal as Local Option (I mean, you could hear yourself talk and there was actually sunlight inside the bar and everything). That and for being Denver's metal-est bar, the beer was on the understated side, including goses and grisettes. The Hellion table beer was another highlight.
- Across the street is Bære (no relation to Baerlic), which was kind of the opposite -- the location itself is unassuming and in a strip mall, but the beer was bombastic, in your face, and very tasty. Everything we tried kicked rear end, including a hoppy aged brown, a fresh-hop sour IPA, and a wit entitled "Wit Cloudkicker" which I found very amusing indeed.
- We then later went to River North, where I ate a Ukrainian sausage and we enjoyed their 3rd anniversary ale, a biere de garde which we both failed to notice was 17.2% before ordering, so a very slow-paced time spent there. Good, though. I used to hang out here 3 years ago and was glad to see that a million people still recognized me; it seems like the folks who go there are very faithful to the place.

Almost time for me to bid adieu to the city and drive north for a bit.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I don't know what back room shenanigans or handjobs had to happen to enable like a half a dozen Philly bars to wind up with dedicated Hill Farmstead tap handles, but whatever they were I'm okay with them.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Pernicious snagged a silver medal for IPA at GABF :feelsgood:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GABF goons - you guys should definitely check out "De Steeg Brewing" - really small brewery (1 barrel system) that you can only get to from the alley. They had a ton of solid experimental stuff on tap, and they're really cheap.

Their 16% Scotch Beer tastes exactly like a Peaty smoky scotch, and their cherry quad is awesome.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 27, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
drat, someone stole my idea for a pico-brewery

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

GABF goons - you guys should definitely check out "De Steeg Brewing" - really small brewery (1 barrel system) that you can only get to from the alley. They had a ton of solid experimental stuff on tap, and they're really cheap.

Their 16% Scotch Beer tastes exactly like a Peaty smoky scotch, and their cherry quad is awesome.

yeah? looks really big to me

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Snagged the last bottle of the Gigantic fresh hop thing. My co worker called it a Pliny killer, so ive got high expectations. Too bad i have another 5 hours till I can drink it

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be a dad so I had a celebration beer! Barrel Aged Flying Mouflan by Troegs, sent to me by Vertigo. Sweet, tastes like sugared raisins and plums and dates. Not a big barrel presence, which I liked. I don't like when the bourbon overpowers the beer. Also comes in a 12.7 oz bottle so it's a perfect serving size.

OK goons, in honor of me becoming a dad in a short 6-7 months, and the thread title, give me your best dad jokes so I'm prepared for the dad club.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm going to be a dad so I had a celebration beer! Barrel Aged Flying Mouflan by Troegs, sent to me by Vertigo. Sweet, tastes like sugared raisins and plums and dates. Not a big barrel presence, which I liked. I don't like when the bourbon overpowers the beer. Also comes in a 12.7 oz bottle so it's a perfect serving size.

OK goons, in honor of me becoming a dad in a short 6-7 months, and the thread title, give me your best dad jokes so I'm prepared for the dad club.

Don't worry, Dads International sends out a book of dad jokes just as soon as your kid is born.
You will need to supply your own wardrobe of polo shirt + shorts + black socks + sandals, though.

Congrats, by the way. My wife just hit 36 weeks gestational on kid #2 today. Nice milestone because kid #1 was born at 34 weeks.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Weihenstephaner Vitus in 6-packs :swoon:

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

a cat youtube posted:

If your close to Cincinnati, The Party Source in Newport, KY is right across the river from downtown and always has an Omnipollo stash. (Zodiak, Nebechadnezzer, Pomperipossa, Stolen Fruit, and Perkils as of today)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spanish Manlove posted:

drat, someone stole my idea for a pico-brewery

Gotta go for femto man.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Snagged the last bottle of the Gigantic fresh hop thing. My co worker called it a Pliny killer, so ive got high expectations. Too bad i have another 5 hours till I can drink it

It was my second favorite beer at the Hood River Hops Fest today behind the Crux Amarillo Pale Ale.

OMG
Jul 14, 2007

a cat youtube posted:

I found some Omnipollo at a Crown Liquors at 116th and Michigan Road in Carmel. Got some Nebuchadnezzar, Fatamorgana, and Mazarin. Last time I was there (a week or so ago) they still had Fatamorgana sitting on a shelf, don't know about any of the other stuff, wasn't paying it that much attention. I want to say they also had a pilsner or something, never ended up getting that. My arms can only carry so much.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm not really into the pumpkin beers, but I saw DFH Punkin Ale on the shelf for the first time after being aware of it for many years so I picked up a single bottle and it's actually pretty great.

Got around to trying the Blood Orange Gose, I don't dislike it! All I'm really getting from the taste is sour/tart with a bit of citrus. Definitely different from anything I've had before. I don't think it's going to be added to my go to list of beers when I want to drink, but definitely going to be an option for when I'm bored of all my go to beers.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm going to be a dad so I had a celebration beer!

Way to procreate!

The only beer-centric wisdom I'll add is that a good beer after a long day tastes infinitely better than it did before fatherhood. It just magically feels like you've earned it once they go to bed.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

americanzero4128 posted:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

German beers all day yesterday, had 9 on keg and 15 on cask

These were the keg ones, had all 9. Number 9 is always my favourite, love that smoke!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Lmao

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Rare Day.

http://www.gooseisland.com/rareday.html

Sixty loving dollars a 500ml bottle.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

crazyfish posted:

Rare Day.

lololololol

The event might be worth it to get to try the other stuff before FOBAB but holy poo poo is that expensive.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Oof $480 for a pair of tickets and full allotment not including tax/fees or buying merch or food etc. I was thinking about calling in a few favors for mules but I'd need to take out a drat title loan to pay for the bottles.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazyfish posted:

Rare Day.

$60? They could charge double and beer nerds would still pay homeless people to get another allotment.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

crazyfish posted:

Rare Day.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*takes breath*

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jesus Mary and Joseph that's ridiculous.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Rare event alone sounds awesome. I'd pay $40 for a snifter ($10 value), live band, hour presentation, and the ability to try all the 2015 variants.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 27, 2015

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

A buddy of mine went to GABF and got to try that for what I assume is free. Which is great for him, coming from the UK, there's next to no BCBS around.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Rare Day.

I get the backlash about this but is that so out of line? I mean, HF has been dropping $40 375s for a while now without any bitching.

Is this beer going to be worth the price? Unlikely. But this bitching is shockingly similar to that of the first Rare release,which, by the way, was absolutely worth the $45 in 2010.

I'm tempted to enter the drawing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

I get the backlash about this but is that so out of line? I mean, HF has been dropping $40 375s for a while now without any bitching.

Is this beer going to be worth the price? Unlikely. But this bitching is shockingly similar to that of the first Rare release,which, by the way, was absolutely worth the $45 in 2010.

um, i would bitch about those HF beers if getting them were a possibility, instead i just rolled my eyes. i will bitch about Rare because, like all BCBS now, it is incredibly difficult to get despite the fact that there's a whole drat lot of it. also, you're paying more for less, now, even accounting for inflation

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
I must be the only person that thinks bcbs is overrated.

In other. Chicagoons Penrose has a new Taproom IPA. It's their only non-Belgian IPA,
and it's the best new IPA I've tried all year. No idea where all you can get it outside of a few miles from the Brewery.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

$40 750s, you mean.

I'll enter the drawing. I'm sure talking about such things is looked down upon on SA, but what's the worst that can happen? I win the ability to buy Rare, and if I regret dropping $60, I can sell it to some local whale chasing beer nerd in a year for $300? Win/win.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

$40 750s, you mean.

I stand corrected. I could have sworn the Flora Cuvee was a 375.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

$40 750s, you mean.

I'll enter the drawing. I'm sure talking about such things is looked down upon on SA, but what's the worst that can happen? I win the ability to buy Rare, and if I regret dropping $60, I can sell it to some local whale chasing beer nerd in a year for $300? Win/win.

As much as I think bcbs is overrated, I'm seriously considering entering it as well.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

. also, you're paying more for less, now, even accounting for inflation

OG Rare was about $2 per ounce. This runs about $3.55 per. I'll admit that's a big jump in 5 years...

But remember the reaction to Rare in 2010. $45 a bottle was probably two to three times the cost of an expensive bomber at the time. Hell, that was 3 times the price of the Vanilla that was probably sitting on the shelf next to it. Back then very few breweries were pushing much past $15 bombers. Now things running $30 isn't uncommon. It's not inflation you should be comparing to but the average price of "high end" beers, which have increased at a much higher rate than standard inflation.

And without trying it, I'm willing to bet I will enjoy a bottle of 2015 Rare twice as much as a Bruery Anniversary beer...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

trauma llama posted:

Yep.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

trauma llama posted:

You aren't, but it's fine for other people to post about it and enjoy it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like BCBBW better than BCBS but then again I'm an idiot.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I like BCBBW better than BCBS but then again I'm an idiot.

i'd take the barleywine over the stout, but i ain't hatin' on either

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Vanilla Rye was actually drinking considerably better at GABF than out of the bottle the few times I've had it since last fall. Would drink again, as opposed to "gently caress this gross coffeemate stout".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

i'd take the barleywine over the stout, but i ain't hatin' on either

Exactly, they're good (not bad) but not worth waiting in line in the snow to get a case. They're kinda what I hold other BBA items to taste like or be better than.

Also this is a funny article that I thought was written by someone from the onion at first, until I realized it was from portland, the land of sincerity:

http://portlandphoenix.me/2015/09/16/food-booze/drink-food-booze/whalez-bro-a-big-problem-for-beer-geek-culture/