Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nessus posted:

If Christie also completely bombs out, maybe the "I'll run my state into the ground as a resume builder for my POTUS run!" will stop being a motivator for potential governor candidates.

NJ was always poo poo. Christie was popular because he was a funny douchebag who ran his mouth off at anyone who challenged him to mass applause. Then all the political insiders were making GBS threads up the press for months theorizing that Christie's gimmick would be considered too rude for the Polite Midwestern and Southern Republican Sensibilities because they're simple family values folk you see. So Christie reinvented himself with lap band surgery and I guess behavioral modification therapy to abandon his popular unique brand of the tough talking Jersey dbag but a funny guy you can't help but like image to "mature" into an electable Mainstream Republican that "only wants to talk about jobs." Fox News approves of this Reaganesque Christie.

A few weeks later Trump declared his candidacy acting like an arrogant New York funny guy douchebag taking people down with insults that people recognized as classic Trump and he immediately won over the Southern and Midwestern Republicans with his refreshing East Coast swagger and honesty lmao. Cue months of the same political pundits who demanded Christie change acting all flabbergasted to why Trump was succeeding. People still act like its a mystery

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Smoothrich posted:

NJ was always poo poo. Christie was popular because he was a funny douchebag who ran his mouth off at anyone who challenged him to mass applause. Then all the political insiders were making GBS threads up the press for months theorizing that Christie's gimmick would be considered too rude for the Polite Midwestern and Southern Republican Sensibilities because they're simple family values folk you see. So Christie reinvented himself with lap band surgery and I guess behavioral modification therapy to abandon his popular unique brand of the tough talking Jersey dbag but a funny guy you can't help but like image to "mature" into an electable Mainstream Republican that "only wants to talk about jobs." Fox News approves of this Reaganesque Christie.

A few weeks later Trump declared his candidacy acting like an arrogant New York funny guy douchebag taking people down with insults that people recognized as classic Trump and he immediately won over the Southern and Midwestern Republicans with his refreshing East Coast swagger and honesty lmao. Cue months of the same political pundits who demanded Christie change acting all flabbergasted to why Trump was succeeding. People still act like its a mystery

remember that time you said all that racist poo poo lmbo

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

TEAYCHES posted:

which one

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TEAYCHES posted:

Shhh... that was a good, funny post. You have to use negative reinforcement properly, otherwise you're discouraging good behavior.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "I love Christmas. You go to stores now, and it doesn’t say Christmas. It says 'Happy holidays.' All over! I say, where's Christmas? I tell my wife, 'Don’t go to those stores.' I want to see Christmas! Other people can have their holidays, but Christmas is Christmas. I want to see 'Merry Christmas.' Remember the expression 'Merry Christmas?' You don't see it. You're going to see it if I'm elected." ~ Donald Trump.

could this really not wait until after halloween at least, christmas is getting ridiculous

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The war on christmas really does start earlier every year, doesn't it?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Wanamingo posted:

The war on christmas really does start earlier every year, doesn't it?

I like that halloween starts in September now

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I like that they sell greeting cards for Halloween now

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TEAYCHES posted:

People who grew up in the great multicultural bastion around Ellis Island just aren't afraid to talk openly about immigrants since everybody settled into ethnic enclaves with distinctly different cultures. Probably cuz NYC is the only cosmopolitan region in America with any worthwhile culture to begin with.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like that this thread is one again free of Demtalk but can we just go ahead and call a spade a spade? This is not the "Republican Primary" thread and never has been; it's the Trump Thread

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nietzschean posted:

I like that this thread is one again free of Demtalk but can we just go ahead and call a spade a spade? This is not the "Republican Primary" thread and never has been; it's the Trump Thread

Yet another Trump thread?

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "I love Christmas. You go to stores now, and it doesn’t say Christmas. It says 'Happy holidays.' All over! I say, where's Christmas? I tell my wife, 'Don’t go to those stores.' I want to see Christmas! Other people can have their holidays, but Christmas is Christmas. I want to see 'Merry Christmas.' Remember the expression 'Merry Christmas?' You don't see it. You're going to see it if I'm elected." ~ Donald Trump.

That'll be the weirdest executive order in history.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nietzschean posted:

Watching them surrender one by one to Trump but still imploring their fellow conservative Republicans to somehow find the strength to save the very soul of the GOP will become increasingly funny

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
Also smoothrich, it makes sense that you're a Trump supporter cause you're exactly like him. You lambast the candidates in edgy and novel ways to the delight of in your liberal audience, and then horrify us with something bizarrely racist. I say keep doing what you do, man.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Joementum posted:

Sounds like government interference in the free market if you ask me.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Xenophon posted:

I like that they sell greeting cards for Halloween now

Satan also approves.

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

That'll be the weirdest executive order in history.

Weird that he is having a feud with Fox News yet is co-opting their biggest pet issue at the same time...

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Internet Webguy posted:

Weird that he is having a feud with Fox News yet is co-opting their biggest pet issue at the same time...

For real, although his phrasing is somewhat different. He's not apocalyptically shouting about a "War on Christmas!!!!", just instead doing a "What's the deal with...?" bit. I'd say most people aren't mad about the attempt to be inclusive or that they feel like they're under attack, rather that people are going overboard with PC bullshit and it's ridiculous to try and discourage a normal holiday nicety.

And then, instead of declaring "Happy holidays" to be the first shots fired in the liberal battle against Christianity, Trump just says "We'll fix it. You can say 'Merry Christmas' again. Done."

BTW, working as a cashier in the most leftist city in America, I said "Merry Christmas" a thousand times a day as an automatic thing and nobody cared. If a Muslim ever wished me a Happy Ramadan I'd say, "Yeah man, you too." People on both sides need to calm the gently caress down.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Zelder posted:

But surely you will agree that your people's dance parties are TOO loud and TOO frequent, and that if you could really just tone down the cultural differences that'd be just great for white America

What's extra great is that white America doesn't exist. A white dude in Montana has much more in common with a black dude in Montana than either of them has in common with some dude from New Jersey. The Jerseyian is going to have had way more experience with governmental corruption, the dudes from Montana are going to have a deep appreciation for what a foot-and-a-half of snow means. We're divided into all these tribes (gonna go out on a limb and argue that Natives probably have greater commonalities than differences regardless of location) that actually have zero in common, but we're provincial enough we don't notice.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

loving gold right here

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

For real, although his phrasing is somewhat different. He's not apocalyptically shouting about a "War on Christmas!!!!", just instead doing a "What's the deal with...?" bit. I'd say most people aren't mad about the attempt to be inclusive or that they feel like they're under attack, rather that people are going overboard with PC bullshit and it's ridiculous to try and discourage a normal holiday nicety.

And then, instead of declaring "Happy holidays" to be the first shots fired in the liberal battle against Christianity, Trump just says "We'll fix it. You can say 'Merry Christmas' again. Done."

BTW, working as a cashier in the most leftist city in America, I said "Merry Christmas" a thousand times a day as an automatic thing and nobody cared. If a Muslim ever wished me a Happy Ramadan I'd say, "Yeah man, you too." People on both sides need to calm the gently caress down.

Were people ever discouraged to say Merry Christmas? Like, if Walmart is telling its greeters to say Happy Holidays because there's other holidays around the same time, that's not really not being allowed to say Merry Christmas is it?

People don't really say Happy Ramadan, but Eid Mubarak is common to toss around on Eid al-Adha and Eid al-Fitr.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Philthy posted:

So do Republicans wake up every morning, stretch, sit down enjoy a nice cup of coffee, look out over their beautiful back yard and watch the squirrels carry nuts away, then come inside, thinking how great this coffee is and how Earth is such a beautiful place to live, pop on the TV, and see people screaming about brown people invading our country and then get all angry and suddenly the rest of the day illegal immigrants is ruining their lives?

Or do they just wake up all gently caress YOU EARTH?

They wake up with a feeling of existential dread that the world isn't as good as it was yesterday. Rather than recognizing that the increasing decrepitude they're experiencing is an internal issue, they externalize and extrapolate to the world as a whole. Plenty of liberals do this as well. One of the differences between the ideologies is who/what gets the blame for entropy reminding you that you to shall pass.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Were people ever discouraged to say Merry Christmas? Like, if Walmart is telling its greeters to say Happy Holidays because there's other holidays around the same time, that's not really not being allowed to say Merry Christmas is it?

People don't really say Happy Ramadan, but Eid Mubarak is common to toss around on Eid al-Adha and Eid al-Fitr.

What about Ramadan Karim? Or, to quote the venerable Krusty the Clown, "a solemn and dignified Ramadan?"

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Also smoothrich, it makes sense that you're a Trump supporter cause you're exactly like him. You lambast the candidates in edgy and novel ways to the delight of in your liberal audience, and then horrify us with something bizarrely racist. I say keep doing what you do, man.

People in NYC and NJ just love insulting people. You can effectively communicate a point about your own values in how you takedown someone else's. Its a hosed up but funny cultural thing around NYC. People tow the line betwen being mean and funny about other people to get laughs or be all "makes u think" but you're not trying to actually hurt their feelings. Why do you think Trump has to apologize literally every day for something new he says? He probably struggles to speak at all without insulting something. He's prob totally sincere with the I LOVE THE MEXICANS! NO REALLY I DO! explanation and is making jokes the rest of the time but he probably does sound racist or insane to people who don't "get" it.

Chris Christie was a true pro at Jersey Takedowns, he eloquently destroyed anybody in his way at his perpetually hostile press conferences and always somehow ended on a hopeful note for New Jersey or America to roaring applause. He could likely destroy Trump and elevate himself in a five minute takedown at any point and I have no idea why he's holding back. He's a disgrace to Jersey and himself

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
As someone who recently moved from the congenial west to the sometimes frighteningly vicious northeast, yeah

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What about Ramadan Karim? Or, to quote the venerable Krusty the Clown, "a solemn and dignified Ramadan?"
I never really heard the English this Ramadan, did hear Ramadan kareem and Ramadan mubarak. I'm also a lazy butt that would get tired of saying Ramadan kareem or Ramadan mubarak like halfway through.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Philthy posted:

So do Republicans wake up every morning, stretch, sit down enjoy a nice cup of coffee, look out over their beautiful back yard and watch the squirrels carry nuts away, then come inside, thinking how great this coffee is and how Earth is such a beautiful place to live, pop on the TV, and see people screaming about brown people invading our country and then get all angry and suddenly the rest of the day illegal immigrants is ruining their lives?

Or do they just wake up all gently caress YOU EARTH?

They go to Wal-Mart and hear Mexican families speaking Spanish. Then they go to McDonalds and the checkout process is 100% Mexicans. Stuff like that scares them because it's new and different. It's heavily reinforced by the news though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
As someone who moved to the Northeast from Israel, LOL you guys think you're insulting, that's so cute. :allears:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Xenophon posted:

As someone who recently moved from the congenial west to the sometimes frighteningly vicious northeast, yeah

I'm from West Virginia, but it's been shocking how nice everything in Colorado (Denver in particular) is. I feel like I immigrated here from eastern europe.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I like Donald Trump when he is calling other GOP candidates losers, spouting moderate policy positions to republican primary voters, telling FOX news to go gently caress itself and blasting hedge fund managers.
I don't like Donald Trump when he has to pander to the religious wing, when it's clear that the man hasn't opened a bible since he was in Sunday school. I understand why he does it, but it's disappointing and I wish he would have stuck to praying at the Church of Donald Trump, the only thing he really believes in.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Interesting question! I grew up in a Fox News household and took it for granted that when O'Reilly said that stores were banning Merry Christmas that there was some validity to it. As always Snopes is on the case. Looks like Bill wasn't being entirely truthful (shock!) but not entirely off either. In 2005 Target removed "Merry Christmas" from their promotional material and just had "Holidays" on their websites, merchandise, ect. They did not ban their employees from saying it, contrary to what Bill implied.

However, the story has a happy ending: the Anerican Family Association led a boycott against Target and gathered 500,000 signatures in a petition against them, and Target buckled under the pressure and added "Christmas" back into its promotional materials and advertisements. Another victory for family values! You can't take Christ out of Christmas!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I still can't believe someone actually bid on that painting.

Edit:http://m.ebay.com/itm/281806200258

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

$50 is a steal

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

Why do you think Trump has to apologize literally every day for something new he says

When has this ever happened

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

He said sorry Fiorina is so ugly

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think you "get" President Trump if you think he should or will ever apologize for anything

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Fox, your candidate! Woof!
\

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sundae posted:

I still can't believe someone actually bid on that painting.

Edit:http://m.ebay.com/itm/281806200258

mods can you make this the background for this forum? Thanks in advance.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Guiliani's weakness was in his horrible strategy, ignoring all states until Florida and allowing his campaign to slow to zero momentum. Trump is currently leading in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

I thought this was less a strategy than a last resort thing that he had no choice in because he couldn't get any traction in earlier states despite trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Xenophon posted:

As someone who moved from the northeast to the Denver, gently caress nice people, I miss smart mean people

• Locked thread