Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is there more to that story than the fact that Kurkijan apparently cracks up when SVP uses goofy voices? I mean, that's amusing enough as is, just wondering if there's more to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

Is there more to that story than the fact that Kurkijan apparently cracks up when SVP uses goofy voices? I mean, that's amusing enough as is, just wondering if there's more to it.

They're both from Maryland, Van Pelt does an exaggerated Baltimore accent it and makes Timmy completely lose his poo poo in the most adorable way every single time. It was a long running bit on SVP's radio show.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ESPN Radio found someone to fill Le Batard's old slot:

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 20 minutes ago
Sources tell @SInow that @bomani_jones will be getting the 4-7 p.m. ET spot on ESPN Radio. Look for the official news soon.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

ESPN Radio found someone to fill Le Batard's old slot:

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 20 minutes ago
Sources tell @SInow that @bomani_jones will be getting the 4-7 p.m. ET spot on ESPN Radio. Look for the official news soon.

Awesome if it's indeed true. This likely means less Evening Jones and potentially no AtH appearances, as they'll have to shoehorn HQ tapings between 1-4, but I'm happy he's getting this opportunity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good, he deserves it and I miss his appearances on LeBatard's show

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I haven't watched much SVP SportsCenter but the "Bad Beats" segment they do is really good.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

They're both from Maryland, Van Pelt does an exaggerated Baltimore accent it and makes Timmy completely lose his poo poo in the most adorable way every single time. It was a long running bit on SVP's radio show.

It was the best.

http://deadspin.com/supercut-scott-van-pelt-making-tim-kurkjian-giggle-lik-1446431617

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I legit thought Mark May got fired this year.

Who keeps giving this man work? Does Satan run ESPN or something?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I legit thought Mark May got fired this year.

Who keeps giving this man work? Does Satan run ESPN or something?
He's actually been doing TV work for a hell of a long time for some reason. He worked in the TNT studio back when they had the rights to the Sunday Night games for the first half of each season, and that was in the early 1990s.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 20, 2015

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Looks like more ESPN layoffs are coming:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/21/layoffs-are-coming-to-espn/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just finished reading These Guys Have All the Fun (great book, by the way), and it seems like ESPN is really suffering under Skipper's leadership and badly missing George Bodenheimer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean a lot of their issues stem from people dumping cable in increasing numbers in favor of various streaming services, which is not really his fault

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

I mean a lot of their issues stem from people dumping cable in increasing numbers in favor of various streaming services, which is not really his fault

Admittedly, the larger problem is that Disney has had some movies bomb and actually budgeted Avengers 2 to out-perform the first one, and it's passing down those deficits to its subsidiaries, but still -- there really seems to be a leadership issue at ESPN. Like, I get the idea of giving Scott Van Pelt his own SportsCenter show is great, and the show has been great so far, but it's on at loving midnight. No one's watching that unless they're a college student, unemployed, or a semi-functional alcoholic.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It really seems like ESPN got hosed on the MNF deal. If I remember right from the book, the guy the NFL used to negotiate the TV deal was a former ESPN employee with a grudge. Not only did he get them to pay a fortune, he followed it up by cutting the NBC deal and giving them the best games and killing their Primetime show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

It really seems like ESPN got hosed on the MNF deal. If I remember right from the book, the guy the NFL used to negotiate the TV deal was a former ESPN employee with a grudge. Not only did he get them to pay a fortune, he followed it up by cutting the NBC deal and giving them the best games and killing their Primetime show.
Correct. From what I remember he basically forced them to take a deal they knew was too much, but they couldn't afford to lose at that point.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Niwrad posted:

When you say book, do you mean Those Guys Have All The Fun? Is that worth a read?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

soggybagel posted:

When you say book, do you mean Those Guys Have All The Fun? Is that worth a read?

100% yes

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's a good book but I found it very dry until you get to the part where they hire Keith Olbermann. Then it really picks up.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's a good book but I found it very dry until you get to the part where they hire Keith Olbermann. Then it really picks up.

I actually really enjoyed all the Getty Oil time stories especially the Stu Evey stuff given how polarizing a figure he is. Frankly, a Getty Oil oral history is something that would really interest me but I understand that I'm in the minority.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I enjoyed learning about the creation of the network since it's something that isn't discussed much.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I enjoyed learning about the creation of the network since it's something that isn't discussed much.

Somewhat off-topic but you'd probably also enjoy the Nickolodeon and MTV books, too. The MTV book is particularly nuts.

Any great sports books out this year in particular?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Yes sorry. I think it's worth a read. Learned a lot about the company, it's history, and the people in it. The early stuff was actually fascinating to me too since I didn't know much about it.

Then again I love the oral history format for anything in the entertainment industry.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Somewhat off-topic but you'd probably also enjoy the Nickolodeon and MTV books, too. The MTV book is particularly nuts.

Which books are these? I'd be all over the MTV one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Yes sorry. I think it's worth a read. Learned a lot about the company, it's history, and the people in it. The early stuff was actually fascinating to me too since I didn't know much about it.

Then again I love the oral history format for anything in the entertainment industry.

Which books are these? I'd be all over the MTV one.

The MTV one is called I want my MTV http://www.amazon.ca/Want-My-MTV-Uncensored-Revolution/dp/0452298563/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443047644&sr=8-1&keywords=MTV+book

The Nick one http://www.amazon.ca/Slimed-Oral-Hi...on+book+history

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 23, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
We all take it for granted since we have always had it, but get some older sports fans to describe the first time they saw ESPN. My dad described seeing Sportscenter in a hotel in the NorthEast somewhere in the early 80's and it just blew his mind something that awesome existed. Back then you got 45 seconds of the local teams on the local news and boxscores in the paper. Now I can catch two FCS teams play on a stream online if I want.

It is probably how I will sound in 20 years when I explain that once upon a time people actually would argue over something like what year Ric Flair won the Royal Rumble, the Celtics last won a title, or the name of an actor in a movie was instead of googling it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

We all take it for granted since we have always had it, but get some older sports fans to describe the first time they saw ESPN. My dad described seeing Sportscenter in a hotel in the NorthEast somewhere in the early 80's and it just blew his mind something that awesome existed. Back then you got 45 seconds of the local teams on the local news and boxscores in the paper. Now I can catch two FCS teams play on a stream online if I want.

It is probably how I will sound in 20 years when I explain that once upon a time people actually would argue over something like what year Ric Flair won the Royal Rumble, the Celtics last won a title, or the name of an actor in a movie was instead of googling it.

This is kind of a cool article on what people had to do to get scores before ESPN

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/that-was-a-thing-sports-phone-the-1980s-way-to-get-real-time-scores/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I need to get that Nickelodeon book, since I grew up with that era of shows.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Nickelodeon book sucks, it's very poorly edited and organized

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
James Andrew Miller also wrote Live from New York and I bailed on it about halfway through. I just got over it I guess. I was 300 pages in and not even to the pictures in the middle yet and I just decided "I'm done here." The book is good and entertaining but I just decided "I've had enough SNL stories,we're on to Buffalo." I have not read the ESPN book yet but it is on my "someday" list. Amazon says the paperback is 800 pages. Even if I like it I'll probably bail just like the SNL book hah

VVV

That is a great explanation of the problem. The SNL book would have someone say something like "Eddie got so popular he would leave at lunch and buy a 50k gold chain, he was so rich" and then 7 other people say the same thing and you have two pages when it could be 2 sentences.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 24, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's the problem with some of the oral histories, they are just too long. You end up having 4-5 different people telling similar versions of the same event. I skimmed a chunk of the SNL book for the same reason. Taking a look at that MTV book linked above and notice it's nearly 600 pages. I'm interested, just more 300-400 pages interested in the topic.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/episode-0

Guess Cousin Sal will be a part of whatever he's doing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

This is kind of a cool article on what people had to do to get scores before ESPN

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/that-was-a-thing-sports-phone-the-1980s-way-to-get-real-time-scores/
I still remember one of the selling points of IBM's Prodigy ISP back when I was a child in about 1989: YOU CAN SEE SPORTS SCORES!!! AND HEADLINES!!! OVER YOUR COMPUTER!!! IN REAL TIME!!! WELCOME TO THE UNBELIEVABLE FUTURE!!!

The example was what amounted to a single MLB box score in a Full Screen DOS Window, and it was treated like it was revolutionary.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I used to work with a guy who had a baseball pager that told him score, runners on base, outs, inning, stuff like that.

Also:

95 cents per minute
Call 1-900-976-ESPN

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

I used to work with a guy who had a baseball pager that told him score, runners on base, outs, inning, stuff like that.

Also:

95 cents per minute
Call 1-900-976-ESPN
Don't forget to call 1-900-ALL-WINS for your top six stone cold Vegas-beating locks of the week.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
In Moneyball (the book), Beane has some kind of device that gave him real-time scores in 2002. PalmPilot?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
That was a big selling point for early mini-dish services like Primestar and early DirectTV--a channel dedicated to live-updated scores and standings. I remember checking it during commercials of Braves games to see the scores of other games.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

OctoberBlues posted:

This article is awesome. I loved this part.

quote:

La Greca recalls getting a call one afternoon from a man claiming to be in a limo heading toward Atlantic City. He stayed on the phone for three hours while La Greca gave him the blow-by-blow of an entire Cubs-Astros game. La Greca remembers wondering, How much does he have on this game that he’s spending three hours on the phone at 99 cents a minute?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Oh drat I can't remember who this was now but I remember some athlete had his dad hold the phone up to the TV for him for one of those old Florida State games and when the dude missed the field goal at the end he hung up on his dad without even saying goodbye.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

zakharov posted:

In Moneyball (the book), Beane has some kind of device that gave him real-time scores in 2002. PalmPilot?

My dad had a pager with sports scores that updated every 10-15 minutes or so.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of scores, there are some hilarious betting stories in the ESPN book.

And then people having to announce the result of the game on air with stuff like "and finally Auburn beat Alabama by a single point today. (slight sigh)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZCRWFskndw