Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Kaiho posted:

Hello I'm on PS4 in EU, username dwylth. I'd love to join a guild for chat/equiment/whatever funtimes.

I play very casually due to, you know, a job and such.

There's next to zero goon presence on the EU servers. Join the NA one and you'll get an invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Does splitting between stamina and magic abilities ever actually happen in builds that make sense? Or does it always about going all in on one or the other stat?

Edit: also, how the gently caress are they not selling character re-customizations? Making too many chars, playing them for a few levels and deciding that one aspect or another of the character's customization settings doesn't really look like what I want, and instead of saying "gently caress it I'll keep playing this char and pay $15 to iron out the wrinkles later", I feel compelled to re-roll now instead of much later.

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 26, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Because it's ZoS

E: First run through VCoA on my Nightblade toon, and I get a Medium Divines Valkyn Skoria Helm.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 26, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Cyclomatic posted:

Does splitting between stamina and magic abilities ever actually happen in builds that make sense? Or does it always about going all in on one or the other stat?

It does in pretty much every tank build. For dps, you do have to pick one because of the way skill damage scales with max magicka or stamina. Otherwise you're running about half of what you could be.

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...
I'm thinking of getting back into this now that it doesn't require a subscription. Should I continue with my old character that used to be part of the Daggerfall goon guild or should I reroll a sweet lizard or dark elf to participate in goon antics?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
If you're veteran rank, we can put a DC pledge crew together. If you're not that far along or if you're even remotely interested in PvP, reroll EP.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Stentorian Hoot posted:

I'm thinking of getting back into this now that it doesn't require a subscription. Should I continue with my old character that used to be part of the Daggerfall goon guild or should I reroll a sweet lizard or dark elf to participate in goon antics?

tgidieday posted:

If you're veteran rank, we can put a DC pledge crew together. If you're not that far along or if you're even remotely interested in PvP, reroll EP.

This. Cross-faction play is coming eventually so if you've got a v10+ toon there'd be no point unless you want to play a new class.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Scyantific posted:

This. Cross-faction play is coming eventually

On a biblical time scale.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Just 150 short hours of grinding and you can unlock cross-faction play right now!

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...

Scyantific posted:

This. Cross-faction play is coming eventually so if you've got a v10+ toon there'd be no point unless you want to play a new class.

The character I had isn't VR and has a way to go before getting there. I think I'll make a Dark Elf DK to change things up.

Stentorian Hoot fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 27, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Stentorian Hoot posted:

The character I had isn't VR and has a way to go before getting there. I think I'll make a Dark Elf DK to change things up.

Yessss Dunmer DK buddies (I have a Dunmer DK who needs to be leveled up too).

Although do note that DKs have been fairly gimped since the old days of Talons -> Standard -> Bat Swarm supremacy. Including the latest gem from last week's patch:

Undocumented Change posted:

Dark Talons (both the damage and root parts of the skill) is now blockable
People promptly lost their poo poo, and ZOS folded like a lawn chair.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 27, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

This. Cross-faction play is coming eventually

Hahahahahahaha

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.
Not sure there would be many, but if there's an EU Xbox guild, throw me an invite, or if you're EU and on Xbox, just add me. @jackhudson2012 or xbox gamertag Jack Stiber

Envy Insanity fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 28, 2015

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
Hey, I took a break for about a month and I jumped back in today. I have a lvl 30 templar. I needed to go back in a redo all my skill points and I feel like the skills changed. Did they remove Brawl? There are other skills that seem different too.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Any PS4 chaps know how much Tel Var stones go for in public chat? Somewhere I heard 10k gold per stone, but that doesn't sound right.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Kali11324 posted:

Hey, I took a break for about a month and I jumped back in today. I have a lvl 30 templar. I needed to go back in a redo all my skill points and I feel like the skills changed. Did they remove Brawl? There are other skills that seem different too.

do you mean brawler, the morph from cleave? that's still there

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I'm up to level 10, and I'm kinda feeling like the ability system is ultimately a bit on the simplistic side, at least compared to a more traditional ability spam MMO like WoW. Especially with the magika vs stamina divide apparently making GBS threads all over any mix and match potential for weapons and class skills.

However, it does seem like there is a fair amount of potential in terms for "footwork" and blocking in fights. I did Silumm for example, and was like "nope nope nope" about getting hit even once by the werewolves, which generally isn't possible in a game like WoW. I'm assuming the game expects me to be god awful terrible at playing the game at level 10, so I'm not really expecting it to ask me to have non-poo poo footwork and blocking at this stage. Later in the game does it start to ask more out of your footwork and blocking skills as a player? Or is it just a very lite MMO where you basically pick two different weapons and one or two non-damage utility abilities that work despite low magika?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cyclomatic posted:

I'm up to level 10, and I'm kinda feeling like the ability system is ultimately a bit on the simplistic side, at least compared to a more traditional ability spam MMO like WoW. Especially with the magika vs stamina divide apparently making GBS threads all over any mix and match potential for weapons and class skills.

However, it does seem like there is a fair amount of potential in terms for "footwork" and blocking in fights. I did Silumm for example, and was like "nope nope nope" about getting hit even once by the werewolves, which generally isn't possible in a game like WoW. I'm assuming the game expects me to be god awful terrible at playing the game at level 10, so I'm not really expecting it to ask me to have non-poo poo footwork and blocking at this stage. Later in the game does it start to ask more out of your footwork and blocking skills as a player? Or is it just a very lite MMO where you basically pick two different weapons and one or two non-damage utility abilities that work despite low magika?

Just remember: ESO isn't an MMO, it's a standard RPG with a lite MMO flavor to it.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
that's odd, a while ago i came to terms with the idea that eso isn't a proper rpg, it just has "rpg elements" hardly more sophisticated than deus ex or system shock 2 or something.

i just hope that it doesn't go any more in the direction of some pick up and play thing like planetside 2 (mainly because of how that game treats its players like cattle)

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

vug posted:

that's odd, a while ago i came to terms with the idea that eso isn't a proper rpg, it just has "rpg elements" hardly more sophisticated than deus ex or system shock 2 or something.

i just hope that it doesn't go any more in the direction of some pick up and play thing like planetside 2 (mainly because of how that game treats its players like cattle)

It will. That's the demographic nowadays. The people who played the more "hardcore" MMO-style games from back in the day are grown now and have jobs/families/etc, so the developers are making choices with that kind of thing in mind. I think I read somewhere that the majority of game players today are in the 30+ year old age range.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

JackBadass posted:

Just remember: ESO isn't an MMO, it's a standard RPG with a lite MMO flavor to it.

I get that it isn't an MMO. Only reason I'm still playing is that it isn't an EQ clone. It just seems like a really weak game at the level of tuning that I've seen so far. Does it ask for more player skill later on? Or is it always just face rolling?

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Cyclomatic posted:

I get that it isn't an MMO. Only reason I'm still playing is that it isn't an EQ clone. It just seems like a really weak game at the level of tuning that I've seen so far. Does it ask for more player skill later on? Or is it always just face rolling?

poo poo gets real in the veteran dungeons

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

vug posted:

poo poo gets real in the veteran dungeons

This. There's a huge spike in difficulty between leveling up in the story areas (including Cadwell's) and the endgame content (trials, vdsa, and vet dungeons). The story areas seem balanced around picking skills and gear at random while playing in first person. If you're noticing that the game is super easy now because you have a build, good gear, and are blocking, dodging, and interrupting, good. Those will all become mandatory later.

So hang in there and join your local goon guild. If you're on PC NA, we do vet dungeon runs constantly, so you can join in (at v1) and see what the real stuff is like.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JackBadass posted:

I think I read somewhere that the majority of game players today are in the 30+ year old age range.

It's hard to take these studies seriously because the definitions of "game player" or "gamer" are as wide as the Grand Canyon. Sometimes it is anyone who spends x+ hours a week, sometimes it's anyone who owns a non-mobile gaming platform, many times it is "anybody who admits to playing 10 or more minutes of literally any game a month, including online backgammon or Farmville."

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
It wouldn't surprise me if ESO were mostly 30+, but the easy leveling difficulty isn't because of age. It's because they want a gentle path to where sunk cost takes hold of your brain and compels you to play pretty princess dressup at $10 a pop.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

tgidieday posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if ESO were mostly 30+, but the easy leveling difficulty isn't because of age. It's because they want a gentle path to where sunk cost takes hold of your brain and compels you to play pretty princess dressup at $10 a pop.

Devious!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's more likely because they were trying to attract the single player TES playerbase who just wanted Skyrim 2.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's more likely because they were trying to attract the single player TES playerbase who just wanted Skyrim 2.

I never liked Skyrim, at all. I wanted to.

I find this game also has a weirdly high percentage of RP/ERP, I've found. It's really... I don't know. I just walk into areas to steal things, and find groups of people talking and acting out things, and leave -- finding myself wishing the devs would prioritize player-lockable rooms above all else.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
I played a bunch on my own when I first got the game and liked it better than I thought I would. Once I got to play with some groups it was so much fun that now just playing on my own is boring.
Overall I love this game for some reason though, pvp seems all jacked up for me. It looks like all the campaigns are over and it has said that for like a month.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bonapartisan posted:

I never liked Skyrim, at all. I wanted to.

I find this game also has a weirdly high percentage of RP/ERP, I've found. It's really... I don't know. I just walk into areas to steal things, and find groups of people talking and acting out things, and leave -- finding myself wishing the devs would prioritize player-lockable rooms above all else.

Yeah I noticed this too. When robbing inns blind there is often enough some role players hanging around doing their thing. Most of the time it's just bog standard carousing where they all pretend to be drinking and hitting on each other or whatever. One time though there was a straight up Spooky Mystery Night or something on the second floor of the Bangkorai tavern. poo poo was surreal. People role playing spooky happenings like books levitating and ghosts trying to communicate from beyond.

I have a sneaking suspicion that many MMO's have these roleplayer hanging around in numbers, it's just that in most of them you have no incentive or need to hang around or explore the inns and taverns at all, which is where they usually congregate. If I wasn't combing through the places for loot I'd never know they were in there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kinda makes me wish I was in to all of that stuff, but I can't... I really can't.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Overall, roleplaying makes me feel gross. Wish it didn't.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Possibly, but I would assume the overlap is pretty decently sized.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
(tl;dr- I am old. I have played MMO's since they existed, from when they were text only. I have played most of the titles eventually maxing out a character or two at some point in the game development. Oddly, though I played WoW a bit I never really liked it. Currently I enjoy ESO a lot, even compared to a traditional MMO. I liked Skyrim, but did not love it.)

I like the system in ESO, in so far as I understand it. That I don't really understand yet is in itself interesting. I have leveled four(?) chars into the 30’s experimenting around with the mechanics, so don't really have an understanding of the whole thing at all. So, theory crafting, while learning. Champion Points used correctly seem a huge thing. Builds that are class focused, but draw on skills from PvP, Wep and Guild lines seem a huge thing. Interestingly, though I typically really love PvP I have not dipped into that yet.

Personally I think the skill/resource system is more flexible and interesting than most straight on MMO's. Once you pick a race and class you have some basic structural boundaries, but there are so many different things you can do within that. I have not played any of the Veteran level content, but I have watched a fair amount. I got great satisfaction from watching Deltia have wipe after wipe attempting White Gold Tower on veteran mode. I also watched a Fengrush team repeatedly crush it, though they would occasionally struggle. I think the Deltia team did not understand the fight, had poor builds and weren't really running the builds they had very well. Deltia and Fengrush were running essentially the same role using similar builds. The small min/max things Fengrush had done seems to make a large difference at the level. The way he used the build seemed to make a big difference.

I think both build knowledge and skill become increasingly important as you move through the game, which whether or not really intended is kind of cool.

The game before then seems to be very forgiving, which seems fine to me. You can run all the content and basically out level the zone. You can grind and just rapidly move through at level. I have adopted a hybrid of doing the skill point quests while grinding that seems to move pretty quickly and keeps me at level for the area I am in to get the skill points.

The forgiving nature, disguises, and ability to customize look to some extent all lead to that RPer population I think. I find it pretty amusing, though not for me.

I also like the fighting well enough. I do not love games based on massively complex button mashing. Equally I don't want a press X to win game. ESO is an interesting mix. You could just run a lot of the content with a couple of skills in a very straightforward bog standard, spamming way. You can also build really diverse skill mixes that stack. I think once you start to do that resource management becomes a critical element.

One of the things that is really interesting is the devs having left in tact all the unintentional effects of weaving and animation canceling. This creates a level of button mashing that is really interesting to me since it is more about timing in your rotation than anything else. It does not require all the massive keyboard arrays and multi-key combinations, but it does require practice and skill (I still mostly suck at this). That added to the simple mobility (also a resource issue) the fights become more interesting even in the regular content.

I see people who just mow down whatever mob(s) basically spamming one skill, with no weaving and minimal buffing. I think this can carry you through a fair amount of the content, but eventually fails. It's also not very interesting to me.

So far I also like the gear and crafting system. I have one toon who basically only levels enough to have basic skills at level and points for crafting skills. He is working on 7 trait Heavy and at about 5 for woodworking and medium. Once I get him to something like 6 for all those and cloth I will level him some more and work on getting to 9 in a focused way on some things. With some exceptions the crafted gear is actually game relevant, an area where a lot of games fail. For instance, endgame dps stam builds seem to use Hundings Rage. The mix of crafted and dropped loot allows for a fair amount of variation.

My current project is only level 20+. By using a combo of Bow, Sorc and DW AoE in a rotation he does burst AoE of around 3k on three or so targets. I haven't had a chance to use him on larger groups yet. I have t really run him in groups yet. That seems a lot for level? He doesn't really even have the right skills for it yet. If I miss the weaves or screw it up he will still die to larger pulls and bosses of same or higher level. He doesn't really have an "oh poo poo" button like some builds. I will probably try to actually level him all the way through as dps, even though I typically first level a tank build and healer build to learn a game.

One thing I want to build is a DoT, Defile machine for PvP Zergs. This would have to be a Templar (probably Stam) since they are the only ones with an AoE Major Defile. For Minor Defile use the wep enchant on some thing like Whirling Blades. This should be able to repeatedly debuff healing by 55% on a crowd. The reason for then focusing on DoT AoE instead of straight burst is because of the way the AoE mechanic seems to work.

This is how I think it works if anyone can confirm this. When you cast and AoE it hits everyone in range, but not the same way. It hits 5 or 6 for full damage and everyone else for half. Every time you throw it in a crowd who gets hit for what can change. This makes it difficult to effectively AoE a Zerg, particularly with the way the AoE healing seems to work. Hence the Defile/DoT role when fighting Zergs. Anyone tried this?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which guild is most active? Creating a character now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
joined lizard pact

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Which guild is most active? Creating a character now.

Ebonheart. What system are you on?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PC with my girlfriend I'm @Turtlicious and she's @GlassLotus (also a goon)

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Invites sent. Hope you were NA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

I have good opinions, but I hate zerg.

I think if you want to 1vZ, you're going to have to get lucky and find a leaderless zerg farming mats in broken armor, rely on their natural urges to run like hell, and pick them off one at a time conventionally. Remember that when you see a video of someone doing 1vZ, they've edited out the times where 3 of the zerg had meteors ready, or any of them had detect potions. Also, I haven't seen too many of those videos since the block change.

Unless disease is special, weapon enchants (I use crusher) only apply to one target at a time with a 4 second internal cooldown. Worse for your plan, dark flare has poor range on the debuff, it's a pretty long channel, and it scales with magicka. And much of the time, someone in the group will have barrier, which is not susceptible to defile.

That's not to say defile is bad, it could really help out if you're backed by a group of like-minded zerg haters. Round up some guildies next time you're on, and let's try it out.

• Locked thread