Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
My work-buddy 2HG partner pulled an Expedition Scalding Tarn from the box I initially reached for. I'm happy for the dude but holy poo poo I could use half a grand. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BJPaskoff posted:

You're not going to like it when I post my friends' video of them ripping up an expedition Delta and two Overgrown Tombs as soon as they upload it.
Sweet! I can't wait. :3: gotta show my friends this too.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

tirinal posted:

Speaking of which, gently caress rolling thunder. How does printing that thing again make limited better.

I don't think it's too bad. It's still a bomb but it doesn't match up well with eldrazi and there's a ton of other 2-for-1 spells in the set. It was probably a lot more powerful in Tempest when all the creatures were so much worse.

anglachel posted:

About the only big differences in this environment is that A) you pretty much have to go 3 color if you want any kind of quality card pool, and B) lack of strong instant speed combat tricks in anything other than white means players tend to be far more conservative in their attacks and blocks, which means games can go longer. Which means you are highly rewarded for having a couple (just a couple, don't put 4 or 5 like some people do) 7 to 8 mana cards in your deck. Also mana sinks tend to be more powerful in this format than they normally are.

I did fine with two colors (and still had to make some difficult cuts) and my curve topped out at 5 :confused:

I mean it's still not a good format because it's sealed, you're at the mercy of your pool and it's definitely possible to get a nonfunctional deck, but that's every set ever.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I wouldn't judge a set based in sealed. AVR I thought was great from sealed until I actually drafted it. Also I somehow pulled 2 of the Wg angel so I kind of steamrolled everyone.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator
Should I bother trying to trade rares without a holofoil stamp, or just see if I can send it to Wizards for replacements? A few friends of mine and I noticed a lot of rares from our prize packs not having the holofoil stamp. Our prerelease pools were fine, but it seems like half the rares in our prize packs didn't have a stamp. I know that's a super-small sample size, and we didn't open our packs at the LGS so we couldn't ask around, so it could have very easily just be a bad box. Kind of sucks that one of them was one of the new dual lands. I usually trade off everything I open at a prerelease onto PucaTrade immediately, so it's a bit annoying.

Did one prerelease, originally opened a ton of white and black removal like Stasis Snare and Ruinous Path, and my promo was Shambling Vents. But then as I was opening my packs I saw I had no support in those colors, but was opening pretty much all the blue and red devoid creatures and scion makers, including both of the ones that give +0/+1 and +1/+0 to all colorless creatures and the */5 equal to number of colorless creatures. Made a blue/red deck with 15 colorless creatures including two splashed Call the Scions, including a Herald of Kozilek, Kozilek's Channeler, and an Ulamog. Ended up going 2-1 even though I told myself I wouldn't force blue/red again and would play what the pool gave me, except it gave me blue/red anyway.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

NivMizzet posted:

Should I bother trying to trade rares without a holofoil stamp, or just see if I can send it to Wizards for replacements? A few friends of mine and I noticed a lot of rares from our prize packs not having the holofoil stamp. Our prerelease pools were fine, but it seems like half the rares in our prize packs didn't have a stamp. I know that's a super-small sample size, and we didn't open our packs at the LGS so we couldn't ask around, so it could have very easily just be a bad box. Kind of sucks that one of them was one of the new dual lands. I usually trade off everything I open at a prerelease onto PucaTrade immediately, so it's a bit annoying.

I'll trade for the rares with the missing holospot.

I'm thunderflush on deckbox.

http://deckbox.org/sets/258796

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
someone tell me how to automate pucatrade somehow so i can get these zendikards out of here before the prices tank due to expedition-driven pack-cracking.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I went to one prerelease and managed to pull Drana, foil stamped Kiora, Gideon, and a couple of the non-expedition lands. I'm just going to give them to some of my cousins though, I don't actually play that much paper Magic at this point. Also, I think Drana is like the one thing that beats out Gideon for just outright winning the game when resolved. Gideon does a lot of work, but Drana's way too efficient and quickly climbs out of removal range.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ramos posted:

I went to one prerelease and managed to pull Drana, foil stamped Kiora, Gideon, and a couple of the non-expedition lands. I'm just going to give them to some of my cousins though, I don't actually play that much paper Magic at this point.

:suicide:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is the story of pretty much every prerelease I go to.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I was thinking about flipping on ebay or pucatrade only to realize that's a huge pain in the rear end considering my current situation and mail. If it's at all comforting, I got jackshit at Origins.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Ramos posted:

If it's at all comforting, I got jackshit at Origins.

So did I.

I hate MtG; I wasted over $200 on Origins and got barely anything worthwhile. I've reached that stage where I don't want to buy packs anymore, I just want to get whatever card I need and try to save my money for some other hobby now.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
Opened an incredibly bomby pool: promo Ob Nix, Sire of Stagnation, the landfall tapper sphinx, and two converge mind controls. Built UBg, splashing for the UG converge flyer, fight, and the rare BG Eldrazi that let's you sack creatures to shrink your opponent's guys. Ended up going 1-2; saw Ob Nix and Sire only once each, didn't get my processors online 90% of the time, and didn't have enough big Eldrazi to ramp into. Converge mind control is really bad in limited: even if you're consistently getting three colors out by turn 5, it's really easy for your opponent to have a 4+/x out by that point. I never stole anything more than a chump blocker. The tapper sphinx is good, but he's not going to save you if you're behind on board unless you have 10+ islands. It's just far too common to be facing down a big dumb Eldrazi by that point.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Eldrazi have always been my "fold, because you're hosed" signal. Oh cool, a colorless rear end in a top hat who forces you to wipe your own board whenever it does anything. :geno:

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Paper Triangle posted:

someone tell me how to automate pucatrade somehow so i can get these zendikards out of here before the prices tank due to expedition-driven pack-cracking.

https://github.com/llamasoft/Puca-Power
Not quite automation, but acts as a built-in page monitor/refresher and bundles multiple cards wanted by the same person, so it helps to take out some of the guesswork and trade monitoring.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

NivMizzet posted:

https://github.com/llamasoft/Puca-Power
Not quite automation, but acts as a built-in page monitor/refresher and bundles multiple cards wanted by the same person, so it helps to take out some of the guesswork and trade monitoring.

thanks, this is exactly what i was looking for!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BJPaskoff posted:

I had someone "go infinite" with Kiora. Every time a creature entered the battlefield under his control, he fought something... and then he made three 8/8s. Of course he won that game, and then his opponent told that story and I overheard it, then had to have a chat about why that didn't work.

You're not going to like it when I post my friends' video of them ripping up an expedition Delta and two Overgrown Tombs as soon as they upload it.

Ripping up expeditions isn't even funny from a troll perspective: the entire set is printed to demand.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So did I.

I hate MtG; I wasted over $200 on Origins and got barely anything worthwhile. I've reached that stage where I don't want to buy packs anymore, I just want to get whatever card I need and try to save my money for some other hobby now.

Don't buy packs just to hope and pray that you get something good, that's a losing gambit. Buy what you need for constructed events or draft with the packs you buy. Cracking packs just gives you the feelbads.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So did I.

LCG's are cheaper and provide the same experience. There are also a ton of board games that use special action/role cards and resource management, which is the central mechanic of wizard poker.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Eldrazi have always been my "fold, because you're hosed" signal. Oh cool, a colorless rear end in a top hat who forces you to wipe your own board whenever it does anything. :geno:

Good thing they aren't this way in this set then? Pretty much all the Edlrazi fold to basic removal in this set except Ulamog. None of them have haste either.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Don't buy packs just to hope and pray that you get something good, that's a losing gambit. Buy what you need for constructed events or draft with the packs you buy. Cracking packs just gives you the feelbads.
I have a half box waiting in prizes for me when the set drops and I can't draft with them because my LGS sucks at sales software (literally got told "we don't have any way to enter 'draft entry: brought own packs' as an item" when they have special pricing for "VIP members" for everything in there). So I am already resigned to my fate of opening 19 garbage rares and some foil commons. :sigh:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Chill la Chill posted:

LCG's are cheaper and provide the same experience. There are also a ton of board games that use special action/role cards and resource management, which is the central mechanic of wizard poker.

Darwin Kastle and crew recently came out with Epic, which is an LCG that lets you do constructed, sealed and draft with a very Magic-esque formatting.

I have not played it, but friends have and they enjoy it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

anglachel posted:

Good thing they aren't this way in this set then? Pretty much all the Edlrazi fold to basic removal in this set except Ulamog. None of them have haste either.

I mean, let's not undersell how good Bane of Bala Ged is (really loving good)

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

I have a half box waiting in prizes for me when the set drops and I can't draft with them because my LGS sucks at sales software (literally got told "we don't have any way to enter 'draft entry: brought own packs' as an item" when they have special pricing for "VIP members" for everything in there). So I am already resigned to my fate of opening 19 garbage rares and some foil commons. :sigh:

Option 1 : Draft with friends
Option 2 : Ask the store for in store credit instead of packs.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean, let's not undersell how good Bane of Bala Ged is (really loving good)

ramping (or even curving) into bane of bala ged, next turn breaker of armies is so good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Paper Triangle posted:

breaker of armies is so good.

:agreed:

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
also sire of stagnation is really good, getting it out turn 4-5 on the play off the backs of some mana dorks is great, and untapping the turn after i cast desolation twin and swinging for 30 total to bring an opponent to exactly 0 from 20 while i have no cards in deck is excellent.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This set seems like it will be pretty cool to draft. Lots of synergy in colors but also get the colorless bombs that slot into most decks, plus ample removal that isn't so efficient it makes creatures bad but still a handful of 2 for 1s.

E: also the fact that even thought it's mostly a ramp set you still have a few aggro archetypes

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Aureus posted:

1: I don't really have a lot of magic playing friends and the ones that do won't draft because they suck
2: They only give $2 store credit per pack, so gently caress that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, I started playing BattleCON which is pretty much a boardgame/cardgame hybrid that provides me the same feeling of satisfaction when I win without the "oh look at these poo poo pulls that I'll never ever use" feeling when opening up your pre-release packs.

Yawgmoth posted:

:stare: Find a better store. jfc that's hosed up.

General Wishy
May 8, 2007
I did a 2HG pre-release and between my friend and I, the only big Eldrazi we opened was Devastator. Going into our 3rd game where one guy had 5-6 with ways to get them out of the grave was brutal.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

1: I don't really have a lot of magic playing friends and the ones that do won't draft because they suck

You could try selling your packs to other players (though your LGS might not like that), or trading them for stuff to sell. At least for the first few weeks of release you should have no problem selling them for $3 I would think.

Or use them to play sealed with a couple friends.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

General Wishy posted:

I did a 2HG pre-release and between my friend and I, the only big Eldrazi we opened was Devastator. Going into our 3rd game where one guy had 5-6 with ways to get them out of the grave was brutal.

I have a feeling the format will speed up a lot once we get into draft (even more so than usual). With rally and to a lesser extent landfall, aggro seems very viable but fairly synergistic. Just cramming a bunch of 2-3 drops into the average sealed pool probably won't do much for you.

Anyway. Unexpected MVPs of the prerelease for me were my skyline cascades. They're essentially half a spell for practically no opportunity cost and won me 2-3 games on the tempo swing alone.

Also, black seems really bad.

E: VV Yeah. They're still really good if you're racing (which if you're blue and not control, you will be).

tirinal fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 27, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

tirinal posted:

Anyway. Unexpected MVPs of the prerelease for me were my skyline cascades. They're essentially half a spell for practically no opportunity cost and won me 2-3 games on the tempo swing alone.

Just checking: you realize they don't actually tap creatures?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

tirinal posted:

The spell lands in general, both the cycles plus Spawning Bed, are really sweet little cards and I'm happy they're around in the format.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Rinkles posted:

Just checking: you realize they don't actually tap creatures?

i should have read this card closer. i got blown out by it in like two games.

also a guy i played last night in round 2 was doing a pile shuffle after game 1 and was like "where's my 40th card?" queue him looking around for 10 minutes for his 40th card while i'm like "this means you played me with a 39-card deck which is illegal, but i won the game so i'll let you add a 40th card and play game 2 if you want." queue him spending another 10 minutes trying to decide what card to put in and then shuffling. game 2, accordingly, goes to time while i'm active player, but i can't stop him from killing me next turn so i concede, leaving me to draw the match, which the store counts as a loss for payout purposes.

womp womp.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

:stare: Find a better store. jfc that's hosed up.
FNM and certain other tournaments are free with prizes so I go there to play free FNM with a decent chance to win ~4 packs. Plus if you play at least a round at FNM you can buy up to two packs for $3 a piece if that's your thing (it isn't for me).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Aureus posted:

Having just moved to the Pacific Northwest it seems all the stores up here are used to ripping off players. $16/drafts, 1 booster per player, soon-rotating-packs as prizes, no store credit. It's like a vast Stockholm syndrome.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Paper Triangle posted:

i should have read this card closer. i got blown out by it in like two games.

also a guy i played last night in round 2 was doing a pile shuffle after game 1 and was like "where's my 40th card?" queue him looking around for 10 minutes for his 40th card while i'm like "this means you played me with a 39-card deck which is illegal, but i won the game so i'll let you add a 40th card and play game 2 if you want." queue him spending another 10 minutes trying to decide what card to put in and then shuffling. game 2, accordingly, goes to time while i'm active player, but i can't stop him from killing me next turn so i concede, leaving me to draw the match, which the store counts as a loss for payout purposes.

womp womp.

The stock response is "should've called a judge". You might have at least gotten a time extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

39 card deck wouldn't be game loss or anything anyway at regular REL to my understanding.

• Locked thread