Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zero VGS posted:

Yup, no domain.

Interesting...

1. Is the "password" for a domain account?
2. When the "device" is wiped, is the is account that failed logins or the whole device? What data is wiped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this question gets asked a lot, but I don't have search.

I'm searching CL, Indeed, Dice, and Linkedin. Are there any other search engines that are worth the time? I know Careerbuilder and Monster have a worse reputation now.

Depending on what industry you want to work in cyber coders, usajobs.gov clearedjobs.net clearancejobs.com.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this question gets asked a lot, but I don't have search.

I'm searching CL, Indeed, Dice, and Linkedin. Are there any other search engines that are worth the time? I know Careerbuilder and Monster have a worse reputation now.

For what it's worth, my last employer used Careerbuilder and local recruiting companies.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Just spent a few months casually job searching (making the move from education to hosted financial services next Monday :toot:) and my experience was that the jobs found me - especially on LinkedIn and Indeed, which were the sites I had the best experience on by far. Having a strong resume with explicit technical skills seemed best on Indeed, and connecting with local recruiters seemed like the best strategy on LinkedIn. I was getting pinged weekly over my Jira experience on the former.

e: If you're interested in education, secondary jobs go up on schoolspring.com and universities tend to have their own job boards

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 27, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Yes.

Personally, I wouldn't take less than 45k/y without benefits(PTO/Health/401k) but honestly I'd apply, do my best in the interview. If I do well, there offer comes back with $38k I'd tell them thanks but no thanks and I'd like <$blah>.

When you say without benefits, you mean no benefits offered? That seems pretty terrible, too.

I'll try those other sites, too.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When you say without benefits, you mean no benefits offered? That seems pretty terrible, too.

I'll try those other sites, too.

Even if it seems like crappy gig, you still won't lose anything by applying or even going to the interview. If they come back with an unsatisfactory offer try to negotiate.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, yeah, I applied. I'm going to negotiate hardball as I know how on this because I have a lot more obligations now, and I'm not in an employment situation I need to leave immediately this time. My job is good, I just can't stay long term because money.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Question for thread,

When looking up salaries, which H1B database are you using? Does anyone how to get this directly from the US Dept. of Labor?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I made a terrible mistake of helping him the first time.

This time it's literally "I did what you told me to do (as an emergency fix). Then I stopped doing it and it stopped being fixed?"

I'm not responding to this request for help, if he continues I'll push some ridiculous $$ number at him.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Methanar posted:

I'm not responding to this request for help, if he continues I'll push some ridiculous $$ number at him.

Boat money. And don't cave to your wife like Sickening.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Hey, I don't work there anymore. Please stop texting me."

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Just throw out a number. Don't wait on him to push you more, just reply to that text as "My consultation rate is $200/hr. Do you want to continue?" . he'll either stop texting, or realize he's in trouble and will pay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I wouldn't because this isn't a situation you want to be in even if he's paying some super high rate. Sanity is worth more than money and there's no number that's worth dealing with that trainwreck.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Shaking down an ex employer that can't use ssh without hand holding and getting a vacation out of it actually seems like a cathartic exercise.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Methanar posted:

I made a terrible mistake of helping him the first time.

This time it's literally "I did what you told me to do (as an emergency fix). Then I stopped doing it and it stopped being fixed?"

Dude quit responding this instant! Your last message to them should be telling them you dont work their anymore and then work out a pay rate that you're comfortable with to do side work if you want. Otherwise you owe them nothing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHL75H_VEM

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Dude quit responding this instant! Your last message to them should be telling them you dont work their anymore and then work out a pay rate that you're comfortable with to do side work if you want. Otherwise you owe them nothing.

Just going to echo this. You dont owe anyone anything.

Either charge them, or do nothing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jesus, I applied to two places over the weekend and already got a call from one.

Is this what it's like to be in IT at a position above entry level?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Jesus, I applied to two places over the weekend and already got a call from one.

For your next job, expect to be bombarded with recruiter emails and calls despite having no intention to change jobs at all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wonder how that poo poo works, I've been in IT for almost 15 years and I don't get recruiter calls or emails and I'm on LinkedIn.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I think my boss is a little autistic but not in a bad way

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
About 2 months ago, we started discussing downsizing my department (my first boss here thought we needed 3 people, as I started fixing things up it became obvious that's just too many). We decided to downsize by eliminating our sys admin spot, since I can handle that work and it was also the last position we hired for.

My second boss (first one retired) was let go the Thursday before we were going to cut the employee loose, so my new (and currently current) boss said "Let's wait until we can meet and I understand everything." Also because I was going to be out for a week at a business conference.

That meeting happened last Monday, with HR. The cut was going to be done the following Wednesday. That evening, the employee called me whining that I hadn't thanked her for doing her job, and when I said "Uh, what?" she said she was going to HR! Which she did, and claimed sexual discrimination. Then she took the rest of the week off while HR investigated (and confirmed that there was no discrimination).

Today, finally, she came in and we took care of the layoff. It's like a ton of brick off of my shoulders now. I'm assuming she smelled the firing coming, and that's why she started making a big stink, but it was annoying.

Anyway, time to move on!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

Question for anyone with a bunch of Meraki experience.

I'm contemplating implementing MX100 appliances as edge devices at our three sites.

The only possible hangup, is our DMZ doesnt use NAT; just an ASA5510 performing firewall rules. Internal is, however, privately addressed. This was all configured prior to my tenure.

It looks like, the MX100 does support 1:1 NAT, and in the online demo, it doesnt fire back any errors if I set the external IP and the internal IP to be the same. However, I havent heard back from my Meraki sales guy on this one to confirm.

Basically, assuming everything on the ISP side is routed properly, can I setup an internal subnet that happens to be externally routable (208.x.x.x), and use 1:1: NAT with identicle WAN and LAN IP addresses?
I dont really want to re-subnet these DMZ hosts, as its a legacy application that's being phased out anyways.

Following up on this; I just got off a long call with one of their engineers. They said 1:1 NAT setup with the same IP on both sides will absolutely work. (effectively no-NATing the DMZ subnets). Downside is it requires individual host configuration / NAT mappings. Not a big deal to me.

Awesome.

Now it's just a matter of getting a demo unit to completely validate that configuration and should be golden. Should.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yes! You're a pretty princess and everyone wants you.

Until the bubble pops, anyway. Get while the gettin's good. If you guys aren't squirreling money away, I don't know what to tell you except that you'll severely regret it when the market shifts.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

For your next job, expect to be bombarded with recruiter emails and calls despite having no intention to change jobs at all.

It took me maybe 8.5 months to find my first IT job. I don't mind recruiter emails. Calls might get annoying, I guess.

This position also seems to average over 60k. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but that would be enough to take out a good chunk of my debt in a year while also building up a cushion that isn't a credit card.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Until the bubble pops, anyway. Get while the gettin's good. If you guys aren't squirreling money away, I don't know what to tell you except that you'll severely regret it when the market shifts.

Lol what

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This but just walk away. No good can come out of supporting a former employer even at an exorbitant rate because of the added stress, anxiety, and high likelihood that they will probably try to stiff you on your bill when the time comes. They hosed up and let you go, and you owe them absolutely nothing.

Part of a manager/director's job is business continuity, and if everything is making GBS threads the bed because one guy left, that is THEIR loving problem, NOT yours.

Some followup on my :yotj:

After I got the cold shoulder from my boss following my notice, and a general making GBS threads on from management from being butt hurt that nothing will get done in my absence, they had FIVE production outages the week after I left, and we didn't have that many in 6 months prior.

gently caress all yall. :boom:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dude didn't you know everything is going to be in the cloud soon? The magic sky energy will make all your poo poo work and every business larger than 6 employees won't need IT anymore.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Che Delilas posted:

Dude didn't you know everything is going to be in the cloud soon? The magic sky energy will make all your poo poo work and every business larger than 6 employees won't need IT anymore.

guess it's a good time to be a cloud engineer

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bhodi posted:

I don't know if you're right or wrong, but it won't hurt to assume you're right.

If you're right, I should be saving a lot of money, paying off debt and working on improving my skills so that I'm not one of the people who get cut.

It's trickier for people who are considering moving to take a job, but in general, assume that this wave won't last forever and live modestly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Having 3-12 months worth of expenses stashed away is a good idea regardless.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Just look at the craziness going on in SF right now and then consider what happens when the VC money waterfall dries up like the rest of the water in CA.

The shock effects are going to be felt through the entire IT sector as desperate developers flee the sinking ship and flood the market.

Some of you guys are too young to remember the first boom and bust around the millennium, but this stuff comes in waves and right now we're at a crest.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bhodi posted:

Just look at the craziness going on in SF right now and then consider what happens when the VC money waterfall dries up like the rest of the water in CA.

The shock effects are going to be felt through the entire IT sector as desperate developers flee the sinking ship and flood the market.

:staredog:

Don't hold your breathe, just in case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Some of you guys are too young to remember the first boom and bust around the millennium, but this stuff comes in waves and right now we're at a crest.

*unzips*

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You want to make money? Learn Cisco and come to the midwest. All the local consulting companies are paying big time for Cisco engineers.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I'm not sure where all of the VC money is supposed to go that will cause it to dry up. Tech is basically the only place that you can make big money with relatively little capital investment because software doesn't require warehousing or manufacturing or shipping or any serious infrastructure investment.

Sure, the whole economy might crash and take tech with it, but that's a different story. The current tech economy is pretty different than it was in the early aughts. It's silly to assume its trajectory will be exactly the same.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NippleFloss posted:

Sure, the whole economy might crash and take tech with it, but that's a different story. The current tech economy is pretty different than it was in the early aughts. It's silly to assume its trajectory will be exactly the same.

I'm fairly sure I heard this argument about the oil industry.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

NippleFloss posted:

I'm not sure where all of the VC money is supposed to go that will cause it to dry up. Tech is basically the only place that you can make big money with relatively little capital investment because software doesn't require warehousing or manufacturing or shipping or any serious infrastructure investment.

I think part of it is when a tech start-up that gets popular like twitter, instagram, they get these huge valuations without the revenue stream to back it up. As these starts up get bought and sold there's no return on investment is there?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Coredump posted:

I think part of it is when a tech start-up that gets popular like twitter, instagram, they get these huge valuations without the revenue stream to back it up. As these starts up get bought and sold there's no return on investment is there?
Twitter wasn't acquired, they IPO'd and posted a ~$50m profit in their last quarterly earnings report, so I'm not really following here

Instagram seemed like a really stupid idea at the time but was probably one of Zuck's better business decisions in retrospect, nobody under 20 uses Mombook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Holy poo poo I'm going to loving lose my mind with end of year procurements and asset tagging.

Being a government organization co-owned by two other government organizations, who both purchase assets for you depending on funds availability - and both have separate asset management processes.

:psypop:

/vent