Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Screaming Idiot posted:

I dream of becoming a trillionaire and funding a Jurassic Park sequel with nothing but perfectly-designed animatronic models.

And then mounting rockets and machine guns on them to take over the world, because come on, why not.

Motherfucking Dino-Riders live action would be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

pr0zac posted:

If she was such a hardass why couldn't she do something as simple as hold on to all her limbs? :colbert:

Because she wanted a slight challenge while whooping asses and taking names?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
It didn't really seem necessary because everyone was pretty badass just to be able to survive in the world that the audience was shown right off the bat.

And the arm was fully functional as far as I could tell so it really didn't have any aspect of a debilitation.

I mean maybe the whole thing is a subconscious shortcut and I'm just an idiot, but either way it was good and I waited way too long to see it.

darkhand has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Sep 27, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Krinkle posted:

I just saw the robocop remake. Not the fan remake from last year. The actual one. Everything. Every thing. Right now all I can think is the credits rolled and the movie ended with literally 'I fought the law and the law won' I can't think of a less appropriate capper to that movie.

Oh and the part where congress voted to overturn the making robots illegal in the united states bill and three hours later there's a full compliment of battledroids protecting omnicorp for robocop to fight was just astoundingly dumb. I mean they built him in china because of the law? Because they apparently gave a poo poo about the repercussions of violating the law? And that all happened in one single day. He's juggling these conference calls about alex murphy's wife wanting to see her husband, and also there's the vote, and then he says pull the plug, and also robocop is coming to arrest him, and wait don't let his wife leave the building actually send her back upstairs. Those were all said in the same sentence. Where did all the murder robots that were fully illegal as of noon today come from?

And the part where he's all autism'ed up chemically so he doesn't cry about his own murder anymore, but now his wife is sad, and she pleads with him "find your human heart, and come home. Your son needs you. We are very sad." He fights his programming and... goes on a revenge spree to solve his own murder? If you had one loving scintilla of control why wouldn't you go home to your goddamn traumatized family and watch the goddamn redwings with your son? Like your family was the crowbar that allowed you to break free of your programming but they are ultimately meaningless to him and the film at large.

I don't know that a "rant about movies that are awful in every way" thread exists but my irrational movie moment was that I filtered netflix for movies I've heard of that came out in the last year and chose this because "might as well see how bad it was" and I got mad anyway.

My favorite part of that movie is when there's like a wanted murderer in the crowd in front of the police station during Robocop's unveiling or whatever. What the gently caress is that guy doing there?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

darkhand posted:

It didn't really seem necessary because everyone was pretty badass just to be able to survive in the world that the audience was shown right off the bat.

And the arm was fully functional as far as I could tell so it really didn't have any aspect of a debilitation.

I mean maybe the whole thing is a subconscious shortcut and I'm just an idiot, but either way it was good and I waited way too long to see it.

Immortan Joe discarded anything and anyone that wasn't useful to him, the whole point of the movie was 'we are not things' and also Furiosa releasing her homemade prosthetic was what finally brought down the evil fucker.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The third ending of Clue is so much more elaborate than the first two that it would have been a shame to miss it when the movie came out. The second ending where all the murders are committed by the one person is just too straight-forward.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

pr0zac posted:

If she was such a hardass why couldn't she do something as simple as hold on to all her limbs? :colbert:

Traded it for a pack of smokes, I hearc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The only thing that bothered me about Furiosa's arm in Mad Max was that you could tell it had mass below the elbow, but that'd be super hard to fake as an actor.

Well of course it had mass below the elbow - there was a big loving metal prosthetic on it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Away all Goats posted:

My favorite part of that movie is when there's like a wanted murderer in the crowd in front of the police station during Robocop's unveiling or whatever. What the gently caress is that guy doing there?

You know how people are said to return to the scene of the crime? Yeah, dude was on the crew.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

Well of course it had mass below the elbow - there was a big loving metal prosthetic on it.

I assume he's referring to the scene where she beats the poo poo out of Max with her stump.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

pr0zac posted:

If you love something, let it go.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Pidmon posted:

Immortan Joe discarded anything and anyone that wasn't useful to him
When does he discard anything? :confused:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Strudel Man posted:

I'm trying to come up with something as I watched it for the third time last night and nothing comes to mind.
Immorten Joe is, if anything, obsessive about keeping and controlling posessions.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

I'm trying to come up with something as I watched it for the third time last night and nothing comes to mind.
Immorten Joe is, if anything, obsessive about keeping and controlling posessions.
Yeah, that's my impression, too.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah even the lesser Bosses or whatever, are like "all this for some girls?", complaining they are wasting resources getting back his 'possessions.'

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It almost bothers me that this bothers me, because the film's such a masterpiece of comedy and craft, but it bothers me.

In _Young Frankenstein_, Froderick seemingly fails to reanimate the creature, and gives a little speech about how science teaches us to accept our failures with quiet dignity and grace, shortly before completely losing his poo poo. Restraining him, Igor asides to the camera "Quiet dignity and grace" and rolls his eyes.

It's the biggest :thejoke: ever.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Phanatic posted:

It almost bothers me that this bothers me, because the film's such a masterpiece of comedy and craft, but it bothers me.

In _Young Frankenstein_, Froderick seemingly fails to reanimate the creature, and gives a little speech about how science teaches us to accept our failures with quiet dignity and grace, shortly before completely losing his poo poo. Restraining him, Igor asides to the camera "Quiet dignity and grace" and rolls his eyes.

It's the biggest :thejoke: ever.

Oh poo poo! Mel brooks was on a late night talk show this week. But I forgot to see it and I forget which one. Did he make a movie or release a boxed set or something?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Inzombiac posted:

In the prequel comics, they did establish that any woman that Immortan's War Boys capture are kept and he tries to get them pregnant three times. If they fail to get pregnant or produce a son, he kicks them out. I assume the ones who can still produce milk get used for the milk farm, but any others are presumably then fair game for the War Boys.

It also establishes that this is what had happened to Furiosa, and she went on to become an Imperator.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Oh poo poo! Mel brooks was on a late night talk show this week. But I forgot to see it and I forget which one. Did he make a movie or release a boxed set or something?

I really hope he does a Spaceballs 2: the Quest for More Money after Star Wars 7

I did catch a one on one long form interview with Conan a couple years ago.

http://teamcoco.com/video/mel-brooks-serious-jibber-jabber

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

It was the Late Late show and he is dracula's dad in the new hotel monsters adam sandler movie. It was still nice to see him. Good for him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of bad bits in classic comedies, I was watching Airplane the other day and most of the jokes are still great, with the exception of the fruity airline guy. Everything about him is just annoying.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you don't laugh at "Leon's getting LAAAAAAARGER" then you are broken

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of bad bits in classic comedies, I was watching Airplane the other day and most of the jokes are still great, with the exception of the fruity airline guy. Everything about him is just annoying.

People were trying to acknowledge/legitimize gay folks but they didn't have any way to do it but supercamp feymen.

And BULL DYKES

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Strudel Man posted:

*Nux trips once* "MEDIOCRE!"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Pidmon posted:

I don't think someone failing in front of him can be counted as him discarding that person when he takes no action one way or the other.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why is it sometimes the famous guest stars on Friends get like 15 seconds of applause and other times there is no acknowledgement by the audience? Brad Pitt and Tom selleck get applauded when they show up while Susan Sarandon and Gary oldman and Jason Alexander aren't given anything.

loving disgusting.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think someone failing in front of him can be counted as him discarding that person when he takes no action one way or the other.

In fact as a villain, it's notable that he simply seems disappointed, rather than angry. Especially since Nux just lost his gun.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vulpes posted:

In fact as a villain, it's notable that he simply seems disappointed, rather than angry. Especially since Nux just lost his gun.

To be fair he seems pretty ok sending his brainwashed army to their deaths and trains them to believe that dying for him is the greatest honor.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pidmon posted:

A lesser villain would have gotten distracted that Nux lost his chrome revolver. Instead he jabs him emotionally and speeds up to take care of business. Joe is a loving rad villian.

It's great that George Miller didn't spell out everything for us but I would have liked to know why People Eater and Bullet Farmer piled so many resources into a very personal pursuit for the Immortens.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inzombiac posted:

A lesser villain would have gotten distracted that Nux lost his chrome revolver. Instead he jabs him emotionally and speeds up to take care of business. Joe is a loving rad villian.

It's great that George Miller didn't spell out everything for us but I would have liked to know why People Eater and Bullet Farmer piled so many resources into a very personal pursuit for the Immortens.

Water. The Citadel is probably the only way to get access to the Great Artesian Basin. So they need to keep Joe on side, even if it means burning through resources. The friendship would certainly be pushed, but there's a long way between "this is cheesing me off why bother spending all of this poo poo" and "I'm drawing the line and refusing further help for one of my main trading partners from whom I trade a vital resource".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gromit posted:

One of my favourites is about Maleficent - http://www.fxguide.com/featured/maleficent/
Some of the material in there is just :psyboom:

Facial motion capture is all the rage these days and obviously looks way better than hand-animated faces do, but IMO its still massively uncanny valley and I'd almost rather Maleficent, as good as it looked, had just gone with real performances. I wouldn't mind full-size Fairy godmothers and those women can act better than the CG versions of them did. But it wasn't horrible or anything.

Inzombiac posted:

Because Joe is a loving rad villain and he rules over the bullet farm and the gas refinery? They were upset about it the whole time, they didn't want to. They had to.

Memento posted:

Water. The Citadel is probably the only way to get access to the Great Artesian Basin. So they need to keep Joe on side, even if it means burning through resources. The friendship would certainly be pushed, but there's a long way between "this is cheesing me off why bother spending all of this poo poo" and "I'm drawing the line and refusing further help for one of my main trading partners from whom I trade a vital resource".

One of the few things that bothered me about Mad Max was the way they handled the Citadel water thing. So you've got this massive facility growing plants and stuff to process water, okay sure I can totally buy that and you didn't go into so much detail as to make it seem impossible.

But then he gives them a bit of water, most of it splashes into the sand, and then he turns it off and says "do not become addicted to water!" etc. Which is SUPER hardcore and makes you feel how post-apocalypse this is, but ... it just doesn't seem sustainable to me. They need more water. If you don't have much, maybe build like a little bucket at the bottom so it doesn't all go splashing on the dirt and sand and gets wasted?

Its like in Waterworld. Kevin Costner's character trades all this stuff and buys a little bit of clean water. Other people make it seem like they're really thirsty and want some water and can't afford it. How do you live like that for very long at all?

Like I can imagine a world where a bottle of water costs like $20 and its really expensive for everybody. But they go too far and make it seem like a bottle of water is $200 or $2000, at that point wouldn't everybody go bakrupt and die of thirst in like, a month? How is that possibly sustainable?

In Mad Max they have the mothers' milk I guess, so is the idea they just get all their water from milk and food? Have they mutated to live in desert climates and have more efficient kidneys or something? Am I overthinking this? Definitely. But still, it just didn't seem totally sustainable to me.

Like Immortan Joe needs to give them a bit more water or everybody will just die. There's too many people. I guess that's part of the idea, the war boys get to live but everybody else is just slowly dying of thirst?

Its not like we're seeing the beginning of the Citadel though. This has been going on for years and years. Furiosa had time to become Imparator. Seems to me like most people would have long since died of thirst, the population wouldn't be sustainable and it'd slowly die down to just Joe and his Warboys unless he actually started giving out more water.

Not to mention, have people just never heard of a still? :colbert: If you're that desperate for water its not hard to build one with a stick and a tarp, you can pee in it and then come back the next day and drink the pure water.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Sep 28, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey, for all we know, that's what they do. Seems like even more of an incentive to fight your neighbor for a few gulps of non-piss water every once in a while, if anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hey, for all we know, that's what they do. Seems like even more of an incentive to fight your neighbor for a few gulps of non-piss water every once in a while, if anything.

Yeah, I guess that works. Piss-water couldn't sustain you forever because you'd get diminishing returns, so it could be a combination of piss water + mother's milk + some fresh water from Joe here and there.

This is where the movie not explaining too much works in its benefit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If I remember the backstory, the other generals are in their positions of power because Joe confers those positions upon them after the water wars, and so they're really indebted to him. Plus, as a trading partner, they wouldn't want to piss him off. So I imagine that's why they sent so many resources after these women to try to please him.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

And they are making more produce than his army could go through. I'm sure that Joe doles out water and food on a regular basis but in small quantities. Otherwise all the people would leave.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pretty sure they say they pump the water up from underground.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It's more irrationally irritating that Costner in Waterworld has a device that can convert piss to drinkable water yet everyone is clamoring for clean water. If it can cleanse piss, it can cleanse sea water.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like to imagine the Bullet Farmer and everyone are also bored as poo poo most days because it's the post-apocalypse so participating in a badass car war probably sounds like a good time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mortanis posted:

It's more irrationally irritating that Costner in Waterworld has a device that can convert piss to drinkable water yet everyone is clamoring for clean water. If it can cleanse piss, it can cleanse sea water.

Yeah I honestly really enjoy Waterworld and think most people are waaaaaaay too hard on it and way too soft on a bunch of lovely un-creative hollywood works, but that part of the plot makes no drat sense at all.

Build a drat still, pour some ocean water in it, wait a day, you've got a whole bucket of water. Do that every day and you're fine! Plus you probably also end up with seasalt? I dunno if it'd be good for eating or whatever but you could probably use it for science or medicine or something. Food is a much bigger problem and you can mostly just fish.

Its also pretty silly that everybody hated on Kevin Costner when he could literally be their savior, being able to survive swimming down to the land and collecting it so he could sell it to them so they could grow some crops is like one of the only ways people could survive long-term. Taking advantage of his gills they could have built a utopia, but because they were all mutation-phobic they screwed themselves over. Except that part actually makes sense, because people are lovely like that.

Light Gun Man posted:

I like to imagine the Bullet Farmer and everyone are also bored as poo poo most days because it's the post-apocalypse so participating in a badass car war probably sounds like a good time.

Yeah, that's the other side of it. Like "Hey, Joe's going to war, whats happening? lets go find out!"

In the original Mad Max you really got the impression that with the world gone to poo poo, the criminals were just bored and once left lawless, they were just doing whatever stupid poo poo they came up with to pass the time and ignore the apocalypse. And then in Thunderdome you see how far that can really go, with the thunderdome itself being a form of apocalyptic entertainment.

But then as they started to lose men they turned on Joe and wanted to go back home instead. It makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Light Gun Man posted:

Bullet farmer literally says "I've come for the torture!". Most of the other goons in Immoratans army would be motivated to bring the wives back to improve their own status (look how giddy Nux gets at the concept of appeasing Immortan Joe). Bullet Farmer on the other hand sees himself as some wasteland Judge Dredd and wants to utterly annihilate her and anyone in the way. Joe actually has to warn him to be careful about the wives.