Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MomJeans420 posted:

Looks like my unit was DOA, I know just what you're talking about with the slot car, but that smell isn't there.

Weird, did the panel fully seat in the socket? Mine is plugged in so that the panel points away from the transformer and junction box, is that the way you have it plugged in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
So i washed and dried my black brand new vw (1100 miles) yesterday, and i come out today and its got these weird white etchings all over the car (almost like soap residue), but it does not come off with a wet sponge. I already am fairly certain that this paint is dogshit and that i should go fight with vw to get it repainted (orange peel, looks like no clear coat, super soft [has a tiny chip that went down to white]). Is this something i did or is this paint really hosed up?

The soap was just your basic meguiars (i have used the same on about 10 cars and none have had this problem), i don't think our water is unnecessarily hard.

here is a link to some pics, http://imgur.com/a/44Hn9, my phone is autistic so sorry for the trouble. Also halp me

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

So i washed and dried my black brand new vw (1100 miles) yesterday, and i come out today and its got these weird white etchings all over the car (almost like soap residue), but it does not come off with a wet sponge. I already am fairly certain that this paint is dogshit and that i should go fight with vw to get it repainted (orange peel, looks like no clear coat, super soft [has a tiny chip that went down to white]). Is this something i did or is this paint really hosed up?

The soap was just your basic meguiars (i have used the same on about 10 cars and none have had this problem), i don't think our water is unnecessarily hard.

here is a link to some pics, http://imgur.com/a/44Hn9, my phone is autistic so sorry for the trouble. Also halp me

Looks like basic hard water spots on an unprotected paint. The standard clay/Meguars Ultimate Compound/Polish or Sealant of choice (my current favorite is Chemical Guys Black Light, which would do wonders for your car) and you'd be much, much happier.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

I had the exact same issue after washing my car one day a few months ago.

Gonna have to agree that clay/compound/polish is the way to get rid of them. It's a pain in the rear end, but it CAN be fixed.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

So i did a little research, turns out the building we moved to did some really janky plumbing and the faucet i was using has a different source then the interior lines. This line is filtered differently and as such is really hard water. Looks like i will just have to do a better detail when i wash. Going to try the meguiars hard water spot remover in the meantime till i get to buying all the stuff to do good details.

Quick question regarding blowers, do i really need to get the 300 dollar heated and filtered blowers to dry my car or can an electric blower work fine? I have seen differing opinions on the internet regarding the unfiltered aspect.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

So i pulled the trigger on a pressure washer, electric blower, and a ton of detailing stuff (all the stuffs). NExt purchase is going to be a pc74 kit, but that will have to wait till next month.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is the right thread, but how fixable is this?

untitled-0024 by John Gallup, on Flickr

A good dent guy should be able to take care of that right? It's a car I'm considering buying, so it's not like I can just take it to someone myself. It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it would be cool to know if there was a chance of getting rid of that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fknlo posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but how fixable is this?

untitled-0024 by John Gallup, on Flickr

A good dent guy should be able to take care of that right? It's a car I'm considering buying, so it's not like I can just take it to someone myself. It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it would be cool to know if there was a chance of getting rid of that.

Yep, that should come out no problem.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's the consensus here on CQuartz for a new car?

I'm too bad at detailing to take a crack at a new car. :ohdear:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

So i washed , did a crazy thorough drying regime, clayed the hood , applied and removed the meguiars hard spot remover and then quik detailed with adams. Car looks really good again, all.hard water spots are gone.

My question is about the claying, i was reading a faq from a detailer and he said claying black paint was dangerous because if not done right it could mar the paint? What would this look like? I just sprayed an ample amount of quik detail and ran the clay with moderate pressure across the hood. A couple of times it grabbed but nothing was left on the hood. What should i be looking for?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

My question is about the claying, i was reading a faq from a detailer and he said claying black paint was dangerous because if not done right it could mar the paint? What would this look like? I just sprayed an ample amount of quik detail and ran the clay with moderate pressure across the hood. A couple of times it grabbed but nothing was left on the hood. What should i be looking for?

I think that detailer may be stupid. If you don't clay black paint then what the gently caress do you do to clean out all of the poo poo that gets stuck in it? Yeaahhhh, no, just clay it and be careful. Straight strokes, plenty of lube.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mat_Drinks posted:

I think that detailer may be stupid. If you don't clay black paint then what the gently caress do you do to clean out all of the poo poo that gets stuck in it? Yeaahhhh, no, just clay it and be careful. Straight strokes, plenty of lube.

True, true, true and true.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
If it's marring black then it's most likely marring other colors - you just can't (or have a harder time) seeing it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
What do you guys do for drying your car? I just own a couple of of big microfiber towels, and they're work ok but two is barely enough to dry my entire car. Recently I went to a hand wash and they used some leaf blowers to dry it off and I never saw my car look better.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
This thing is amazing: http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-MIC78101-Waffle-Microfiber/dp/B00BQYCIVI

It takes like 4 passes and the car is 95% dry and then I pick up the doorjambs/trunk opening/under the hood with a couple disposable microfibers, and then finish after wringing the grey waffle weave out and it takes me like 20 minutes to do the entire car.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Cage posted:

What do you guys do for drying your car? I just own a couple of of big microfiber towels, and they're work ok but two is barely enough to dry my entire car. Recently I went to a hand wash and they used some leaf blowers to dry it off and I never saw my car look better.

I use a water blade and get the drips with a microfiber. Tried a leaf blower a couple times but it was more trouble than it was worth.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

wallaka posted:

I use a water blade and get the drips with a microfiber. Tried a leaf blower a couple times but it was more trouble than it was worth.

Water blade here, too. Followed by drips/contours/jambs with an The Absorber. Sounds corny, but those things really do a good job for finishing.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Water blade here, too. Followed by drips/contours/jambs with an The Absorber. Sounds corny, but those things really do a good job for finishing.

This is my approach as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

meatpimp posted:

Yup, that's my way as well. I also have some waffle weave drying towels I use as well.

Depending on the temperature and humidity levels, I find that sometimes the towels work better and sometimes the absorber works better.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

meatpimp posted:

This is me. My leaf blower was useless.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ok, well I bought the absorber yesterday before everyone posted. I did hear good things about a waterblade, but I didnt see it until I went inside the advance auto to pick up my ship-to-store order. (coupons)

I had pretty good results. I should look at a guide on how to use chamois though, because I found it a little difficult sometimes. It worked well on the flat horizontal parts, where I could just drape it over the roof/hood and slide it across. It was a little harder to do my doors and bumpers, but after using the absorber I did another pass with a microfiber towel and it turned out pretty well.

Or at least as well as a car wash at night could turn out. There were some spots that I noticed I missed the next morning.

e: Ok I saw a video. Fold it up and slide it across. Ill try that next time.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 22, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would really get a blade too. I find the absorber best for spot picking up drops. However, for large stretches of body panels, the blade works better.

I got over the car with the blade to bulk clear the water on surfaces and then follow up with the absorber or towel to pick up drops around the edges and in places that the blade can't reach. It's pretty quick and you get good coverage.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What's the best brand of blade?

Also, I just picked up my truck from the painter, but didn't get to speak with him yet, any recommendations on soap, and how long to wait?

The truck got a little dusty sitting in his lot on Monday, can I use my brand new Cali duster on it or wait?

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

always be closing posted:

What's the best brand of blade?

Also, I just picked up my truck from the painter, but didn't get to speak with him yet, any recommendations on soap, and how long to wait?

The truck got a little dusty sitting in his lot on Monday, can I use my brand new Cali duster on it or wait?

I have the chemical guys water blade with the purple handle and I am very happy with it. Also using The Absorber to finish off my dry and folded up works great, change to a different side and wring it out if it starts leaving droplets behind.

I can't comment on how long to wait on washing a freshly painted truck, but using the california duster should be fine.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I have some hard rear end water spots on my Saabaru's tinted windows. I've tried washing them off and using Invisible Glass. I'm thinking of trying magic eraser next but don't know how tint works and don't want to damage it. Is tint only applied to the inside of car windows?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

blk posted:

I have some hard rear end water spots on my Saabaru's tinted windows. I've tried washing them off and using Invisible Glass. I'm thinking of trying magic eraser next but don't know how tint works and don't want to damage it. Is tint only applied to the inside of car windows?

Yep

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

blk posted:

Dont use abrasives on glass!

Try white vinegar.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
To expand on that, Magic Eraser is basically sandpaper so don't use it on poo poo that you can't live with being scuffed.

Vinegar works because hard water spots are primarily from gunk like calcium buildup in the water; it's the same way you get rid of hard water deposits in a sink or shower.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

it's the same way you get rid of hard water deposits in a sink or shower.

So a magic eraser? :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fknlo posted:

So a magic eraser? :v:

If the water spots are on the outside of the glass? Yep.

I've never seen hard water spots on the film of a tint... that would be a tough one if that's the case.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I don't dare use a water blade on a black car. I use damp microfiber towels with squirt of detailer for extra lubrication. One pass and it dries up within a few seconds depending on the humidity.
Spergy but what the hell.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Bought a gallon of ONR without reading he dilution ratios....

Welp, guess I'm set for life.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Could use a little advice. I pulled 2 light grey cloth seats out of the junkyard this weekend. One has some grease and grime smudges on it. Any tips on the best way to clean that?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Veeb0rg posted:

Could use a little advice. I pulled 2 light grey cloth seats out of the junkyard this weekend. One has some grease and grime smudges on it. Any tips on the best way to clean that?

Mild detergent and a pressure washer on a hot, sunny, dry day.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

So I have been reading up on paint correction, and I have one question. Should i buy a paint thickness meter? I don't plan on doing any heavy correction work (yet) but definitely don't want to burn through the clear coat and do some serious damage.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

revmoo posted:

Dont use abrasives on glass!

Try white vinegar.

Not that I disagree with trying a less aggressive method first, but you can use abrasives on glass; there are even abrasives marketed specifically for use on glass.

Veeb0rg posted:

Folex is popular for interiors and you should be able to find it OTC pretty easily (Home Depot or Lowes).

So I have been reading up on paint correction, and I have one question. Should i buy a paint thickness meter? I don't plan on doing any heavy correction work (yet) but definitely don't want to burn through the clear coat and do some serious damage.

Unless you buy the super expensive meters, they won't tell you the thickness of clear - color - primer layers separately, they just tell you the thickness of the paint as a whole.

If you have the money and don't mind spending it, I would get one, though. Even though it won't tell you the thickness of each layer, you can make a more educated guess if it's safe to polish or not.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

On a scale of 1 to 10 (ten being u must have, dont touch that orbital) where does the thickness gauge measure to do light to medium correction work (swirls, spiderweb, hazing)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Veeb0rg posted:

Hand cleaner works very well for removing grease stains. Try in an inconspicuous area first.

Pressure washer and some degreaser is also a good bet. Dry thoroughly before installation.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Neither vinegar nor magic eraser did much good with the glass water spots. What's next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

blk posted:

Neither vinegar nor magic eraser did much good with the glass water spots. What's next?

I got a bottle of meguiars water spot remover, used it after a wash and wax. Worked perfectly on paint and windows.