Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This ticks a lot of boxes, and I think about it now and then. The couple weeks my friends and I played it, and we very quickly ran out of interest. It's a very competent game, though. It's also one of very few multiplayer space games that you can host on your own; your own little pocket universe. Too few games let you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Are there any games that have a campaign with a meta-map like Rise of Nations and Dark Crusade? RTSes or turn based stuff are both fine. I just want something where I can play individual maps and gain persistent advantages as I conquer more territories.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

HMS Boromir posted:

Are there any games that have a campaign with a meta-map like Rise of Nations and Dark Crusade? RTSes or turn based stuff are both fine. I just want something where I can play individual maps and gain persistent advantages as I conquer more territories.

Definitely Ardennes Assault for Company of Heroes 2.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Excellent, PA it is. Rimworld looks like it is on hold indefinitely, so I'll go with the more completed product.

PA is definitely more complete, but Rimworld is still updated regularly (the last major update was only a month ago), so it's hardly on hold.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HMS Boromir posted:

Maybe the Total War games? Depends on if you want lots to do on the turn-based meta-map.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Undertale.... Yes or No?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yes. Do not do any research on it. Just buy it and play it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yes, yes, absolutely yes.

Also, thanks for the suggestions everyone. Company of Heroes isn't really my thing but I've never played a Total War game so this might be a good time to try one.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

Yes, yes, absolutely yes.

Also, thanks for the suggestions everyone. Company of Heroes isn't really my thing but I've never played a Total War game so this might be a good time to try one.

If you're going to get a TW game, get either Shogun 2 or Attila. Shogun 2 is generally considered to be the best, with a very balanced unit roster where everything can be useful through the whole game. Attila meanwhile is the most recent and thus has a lot more going on, and is considered to be pretty good overall.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Manic X posted:

Undertale.... Yes or No?

undertale is so good that i ran a forum search for undertale just to see if there was a thread where people were talking about it and i found this post. i think you can guess how i feel about this game :cheerdoge:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you're going to get a TW game, get either Shogun 2 or Attila. Shogun 2 is generally considered to be the best, with a very balanced unit roster where everything can be useful through the whole game. Attila meanwhile is the most recent and thus has a lot more going on, and is considered to be pretty good overall.

If you're going to get a Total War game get over to https://www.humblebundle.com/ and get a ton of them for cheap (and donate to charity). I think it's only good for another day but it's a great deal.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I want to play a shootymans game. Not like a twitchy/competitive arena shooter. I used to play BFBC2 and BF3 a lot and they were fun but there's no way I'm spending 60 bucks on the same game a third time. Is there something else thats fun and populated and has lots of different guns to blow up lots of different vehicles? And is also not expensive?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hooplah posted:

I want to play a shootymans game. Not like a twitchy/competitive arena shooter. I used to play BFBC2 and BF3 a lot and they were fun but there's no way I'm spending 60 bucks on the same game a third time. Is there something else thats fun and populated and has lots of different guns to blow up lots of different vehicles? And is also not expensive?

If you wanna go old school, you can play Unreal Tournament 4 (https://www.unrealtournament.com/#splash) or Tribes Ascend (http://www.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/home) for free.

If you want something more modern and big battlefield scale, you can play Planetside 2 (https://www.planetside2.com/home) for free.

Star Wars Battlefront is coming out soon and looks both really cool and kinda stupid.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Manic X posted:

Undertale.... Yes or No?

Play the demo. If the demo is what you like, then get the full game.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Hooplah posted:

If you're willing to dispense with having infantry involvement at all, War Thunder's free and has a shitload of WWII planes and tanks. How many? Enough to set the Guinness World Record.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

If you wanna go old school, you can play Unreal Tournament 4 (https://www.unrealtournament.com/#splash) or Tribes Ascend (http://www.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/home) for free.

If you want something more modern and big battlefield scale, you can play Planetside 2 (https://www.planetside2.com/home) for free.

Star Wars Battlefront is coming out soon and looks both really cool and kinda stupid.

Tribes Ascend is largely dead, sadly. Looks like they're taking a stab at reviving it after a year or two of leaving it to rot, but it could be too little too late.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I need something like Dragon's Dogma.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I need something like Dragon's Dogma.

What exactly about Dragon's Dogma are you looking for more of?

Closest there is would be Dragon Age Inquisition, Skyrim, or Dark Souls.

Or maybe something like Monster Hunter, or Xenoblade Chronicles or even Final Fantasy XII.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Play the demo. If the demo is what you like, then get the full game.

This is the best course of action. You can tell in the first ten minutes exactly what the game is going for and either you will like that sort of thing or not.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Zaphod42 posted:

Or maybe something like Monster Hunter, or Xenoblade Chronicles or even Final Fantasy XII.

If you want a boring single player mmolike experience, try Kingdoms of Amalur.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

chairface posted:

If you're willing to dispense with having infantry involvement at all, War Thunder's free and has a shitload of WWII planes and tanks. How many? Enough to set the Guinness World Record.

It's not exactly what I asked for, but gatdamn does that look like fun, thanks

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shab posted:

Have you checked out Smite? It's free to play and the playable characters are all gods and goddesses from real world religions in mythologically/historically-inspired settings like Mount Olympus, the Colosseum, etc.

I have, and I like the 3D perspective of it a lot instead of top-down. But it still really has that high fantasy feel to it even if the mythologies are real. My friends are looking for something totally outside of that, like historical war, post-apocalyptic, space sci-fi, etc. I remember hearing about SOE planning a WWII MOBA a while ago but I haven't heard anything recently. I'm surprised more people haven't broken out of that pseudo-LoL setting.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I have, and I like the 3D perspective of it a lot instead of top-down. But it still really has that high fantasy feel to it even if the mythologies are real. My friends are looking for something totally outside of that, like historical war, post-apocalyptic, space sci-fi, etc. I remember hearing about SOE planning a WWII MOBA a while ago but I haven't heard anything recently. I'm surprised more people haven't broken out of that pseudo-LoL setting.

In that case, two other games come to mind:

- Bloodline Champions eschews the typical MOBA trappings of lanes, minions, etc. for straight up 3v3 team deathmatch. It's top down, like LoL, but uses WASD for movement and mouse for aiming, unlike LoL. In terms of setting it's pretty unique. I guess I would describe it as tribal. It's a hell of a fun game with a small but dedicated community. Matches are quick and dirty.

- Shards of War isn't very well known in the US and UK as it is Russian-made, but it's a very competent MOBA that is closer to LoL in the trimmings but also has the same control scheme as Bloodline Champions. It's got a near-future urban sci-fi feel to it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Might be a bit of a long shot, but I'm looking for another "change classes, not characters" MMO, like Skyforge with an actual open world, Secret World with a less modern setting, or FFXIV without the anime catgirls.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Hooplah posted:

It's not exactly what I asked for, but gatdamn does that look like fun, thanks

Feel free to message me or look me up on steam (same name in SA goons steam group as here) if you want help getting started on it. I'm a big evangelist for the game on the basis of "free" and all, but it's actually really loving good. And I came to it from being a big C&C Renegade fan, which is very similar to the Battlefield games in terms of being able to jump into random vehicles other assholes have laying around for w/e reason but despite lacking that aspect, War Thunder scratches the same vehicular combat itch.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah all three of those first ones are games I've thought of that have similar qualities, except I just can't get into the dragon age games, I dunno what it is, the characters mostly I guess.

The large open world that you run around and discover is what I like about it. I think Fable was kind of like that, though I don't remember how much of the world was open to you at any given time in that game, was a while ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah all three of those first ones are games I've thought of that have similar qualities, except I just can't get into the dragon age games, I dunno what it is, the characters mostly I guess.

The large open world that you run around and discover is what I like about it. I think Fable was kind of like that, though I don't remember how much of the world was open to you at any given time in that game, was a while ago.

Yeah for that matter games like Fable or Kindoms of Amalur would be right up your alley. The later Fable series kinda took a weird turn (Molyneux!) but I think most people still enjoyed them for just being able to roam a 3rd person fantasy world.

Risen, Gothic, and Two Worlds are all similar games too but aren't necessarily the highest quality. Not complete garbage though by any means.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fable 2 is really good. Fable 3 is alright but a bit of a letdown after 2. I never played much of Fable 1 but I'm pretty sure 2 is better.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Do what Zaphod suggested and check out Gothic/Risen. If you can't stand old games, start with Risen. Though the Gothic games are also very good, they are just oldschool and extremely janky and not for everyone. Also a possiblity: Fallout: New Vegas. It scratches the exploration itch for sure, and can technically be played in third person though I wouldn't recommend it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Fable 2 is really good. Fable 3 is alright but a bit of a letdown after 2. I never played much of Fable 1 but I'm pretty sure 2 is better.

I haven't played 2 or 3, but Fable 1 is the quintessential Molyneux game -- a shallow, barren experience with lots of vestigial hints that something cool was supposed to be there.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

3's just more of the progression from 1 -> 2. Everything gets dumbed down a little more, combat outside of the final desert area alone is just picking the button for which animation you'd like to see while winning, the economy gets even more laughable. Winning in the final desert area requires actually learning how 1-2 of the combat mechanics work.

The economy being yet more hosed up than 1 and 2 is a real flaw, too, because kind of the "big dilemma" of the game is running the budget for your kingdom and having to choose between Reaver's amazingly evil proposals that typically will make money and someone else's sensible and decent proposal that will cost money. Of course, once I own every building in the kingdom and have set all their rents to minimum I still have enough money to single-handedly bankroll away all the nation's problems so it's not really any kind of dilemma and even more so than in previous Fable games the only motivation to be evil is for the sheer gently caress of it.

Also notable the only consequence to losing and dying is receiving a scar, unless you use an otherwise decent and affordable weapon that removes even this consequence. It's not like Molyneaux's previous efforts were masterpieces or anything but Fable 3 is like someone vaguely described an RPG to Fisher-Price.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chairface posted:

Also notable the only consequence to losing and dying is receiving a scar, unless you use an otherwise decent and affordable weapon that removes even this consequence. It's not like Molyneaux's previous efforts were masterpieces or anything but Fable 3 is like someone vaguely described an RPG to Fisher-Price.

I never thought I'd defend Molyneaux, but I don't think this is inherently a bad decision. Traditionally, if you die, you reload until you get it right which from a story perspective isn't really different from automatically resurrecting. I'd like to see more games try something along those lines of death not being such an extreme failure state that it requires a restart to fix.

Edit: That said, Fable 3 is still a really dumb game on multiple other fronts, just that the removal of death isn't really something I'd fault it for.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 30, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I never thought I'd defend Molyneaux, but I don't think this is inherently a bad decision. Traditionally, if you die, you reload until you get it right which from a story perspective isn't really different from automatically resurrecting. I'd like to see more games try something along those lines of death not being such an extreme failure state that it requires a restart to fix.

Fable 3 really is pretty dumb though.

I agree with that in itself, that death is a badly handled mechanic in almost all videogames. Its a crutch that's put into games just to give you some form of (annoying) motivation and because "you can die" so that should be a thing. But yeah, its really clunky.

I've discussed in other threads about game design how I'd like to see a game where there's no fail state at all, but where the game is still challenging and motivating. It'd be tough, but you could totally do it. Something like Devil May Cry, where you're trying to build up big combat combos for points, and have that be the motivating factor instead of death.

Although then you get into the complexities of human psychology and gamers being insufferable and not knowing whats best for them.

Bioshock did away with permanent death at least, you still died but you'd just respawn from a vita-chamber and the game maintained its world state. So if you killed a bunch of people and then died, you wouldn't re-load a save where all those people were back to alive again, you'd just respawn at the last checkpoint and keep going. I thought it was actually a pretty smooth way of handling death, and it didn't even do away with death itself or anything drastic like that. Cool huh?

Yeah, so of course, gamers were livid. They had to patch in a mode to turn it off so there was permadeath because people complained so much. :doh:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of the better solutions is to have a range of failure states where "you die and go back to your last checkpoint" is the absolute bottom end. Here is a good post about the really wide failure spectrum in MGSV and why that makes the game more interesting. Actually stealth games in general tend to do this well (Blood Money is another good example), because they're generally designed so that getting caught is recoverable rather than an instant game over.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any pure action games that do this - anyone have any examples (since this is the game recommendation thread after all)?

Also even with its "soft" death mechanics I still recommend fable 2. It's got rough edges but it's a good experience overall and I liked it better than 3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The closest I can think of was Farcry 2, which most of the time when you "died" instead it'd trigger a cutscene where you fall down, but one of your buddies you've met in the story would show up and drag your half-dead body out of the battle, and then you'd wake up with an inch of life left some short distance away, and it'd be like "hey, hang in there, good luck" and you could kinda compose yourself and then head back into the fray. (or just peace the gently caress out)

I really like how in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time they made a platforming game where you were allowed to miss your jumps and then you could just reverse time and try them again, although if you did it too much you'd run out of sand.

Some racing games do this too, like I wanna say Forza and NFS: Shift both let you reverse time if you had a really bad crash. Its nice in a racing game because sometimes you're in 1st place for 3 laps and then on the final stretch you try to push a corner too hard and you end up fishtailing it out in the dirt, everybody passes you and you finish dead last. Rather than having to redo the entire race that you mostly did great on, you can just rewind that final corner and give it one more shot.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
You can't die in the latest (2008) Prince of Persia. Falling off a platform instantly teleports you a couple of jumps back (so, a checkpoint), and your companion heals you immediately if enemies kill you. There is no sand and no limit to this ability.

IIRC, the game was designed so you had to thread several acrobatic movements in a row, so the incentive to do well was just the satisfaction of fluid movement and good execution.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ah, I just remembered an actual example of a game that doesn't have ANY fail state at all, Journey.

In Journey you can take damage and lose your cape, which limits your jumping ability and so you want to avoid taking damage. But at the worst case you'll just be left with the shortest scarf, you cannot die.

It works really well, the game is plenty dramatic without death, and death would have interrupted the flow of the story and its emotions.
It also would have interrupted the anonymous multiplayer.

Journey is a smaller art-game, but its still definitely a game and it works really well. I'd like to see more games be half as creative as Journey.

Fat Samurai posted:

You can't die in the latest (2008) Prince of Persia. Falling off a platform instantly teleports you a couple of jumps back (so, a checkpoint), and your companion heals you immediately if enemies kill you. There is no sand and no limit to this ability.

IIRC, the game was designed so you had to thread several acrobatic movements in a row, so the incentive to do well was just the satisfaction of fluid movement and good execution.

Yeah I actually really enjoyed the 2008 prince of persia even though some didn't like it much. The game was really beautiful and it was just a playground to jump around in, waaaay more focused on what makes prince of persia fun instead of Warrior Within and Two Thrones or Two Chariots or whatever that one game was called.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

From what I heard they at least did something really clever with that when it came to a shapeshifter boss. The shapeshifter turns into the female protagonist and the fastest way to figure out which is the real one is by jumping off a cliff because the real one will save you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Bioshock did away with permanent death at least, you still died but you'd just respawn from a vita-chamber and the game maintained its world state. So if you killed a bunch of people and then died, you wouldn't re-load a save where all those people were back to alive again, you'd just respawn at the last checkpoint and keep going. I thought it was actually a pretty smooth way of handling death, and it didn't even do away with death itself or anything drastic like that. Cool huh?

Yeah, so of course, gamers were livid. They had to patch in a mode to turn it off so there was permadeath because people complained so much. :doh:
It did do away with death though. There was literally no modicum of challenge in the game because any remotely difficult fight could be handled by respawning, hitting the bad guys a fight times, "dying" and respawning again until they eventually expired.

*in PYF poster voice* its extremely bad that someone listened to fan feedback and made a divisive feature strictly optional so as to make everyone happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Battlefield 2's single-player campaign and Red Orchestra 2 have clever death mechanics. Instead of the player respawning, you take over the mind of one of your surviving AI teammates. Are there any more modern games with that mechanic?