Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
I got a Barclay card last year with Apple to buy a new computer with and be able to make 12 monthly payments with deferred interest. It was my first credit card (got it when I was 29), and I just finished paying it off with no fees or interest. Should I keep this card? I can't find a good resource about the card after the financing is wrapped up. It seems like the interest rate is very, very high. If I don't use it, do I close it out or just stick it in a drawer and let it expire? If I move on from it, what is a good next step for a credit card? (I think I'd want one for mostly clothing companies and Amazon and the like, not for travel stuff, if that helps)

tl;dr - Done with the Apple/Barclay financing. Keep using the card? Trash it? Let it expire? What should I get next if I move on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The interest rate on any card that gives rewards is going to be high and it's not relevant if you don't carry a balance. If it's the Barclay Visa with Apple Rewards, then it has no annual fee and so keeping it open doesn't cost you anything. The OP has some suggestions, the Citi Double Cash is probably the best simple option in that it gives 2% back on everything. You can augment that with cards like Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Chase Freedom to get more cash back in certain categories.

One specific thing about Barclay is that they are notorious for closing cards with no spend on them. I definitely would not close the card before applying for another, but if you want to keep it open you should put some sort of recurring charge on it to prevent Barclay from closing it at some point. How much closing the card impacts your score is going to depend on other factors as well and if you aren't even using your credit score in the near future then it may not be worth the bother to keep it open.

asur fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 20, 2015

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

asur posted:

The interest rate on any card that gives rewards is going to be high and it's not relevant if you don't carry a balance. If it's the Barclay Visa with Apple Rewards, then it has no annual fee and so keeping it open doesn't cost you anything. The OP has some suggestions, the Citi Double Cash is probably the best simple option in that it gives 2% back on everything. You can augment that with cards like Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Chase Freedom to get more cash back in certain categories.

One specific thing about Barclay is that they are notorious for closing cards with no spend on them. I definitely would not close the card before applying for another, but if you want to keep it open you should put some sort of recurring charge on it to prevent Barclay from closing it at some point. How much closing the card impacts your score is going to depend on other factors as well and if you aren't even using your credit score in the near future then it may not be worth the bother to keep it open.

I guess what I can't figure out is how it works going forward. Let's say I buy something for $50 in a few weeks, after the deferred interest for the Apple product is all wrapped up. Do I get a year of deferred interest for that item? Do I have that $50 on the credit bill along with whatever the interest is (20-30% or something), or do I have a cycle to pay that $50 off before interest kicks in? Barclay's website does not have easy answers. That's why I'm considering just moving on to a new card from scratch that has policies laid out more clearly.

The main reason I don't want to neglect the Barclay card is that I don't want any hits to my credit, but I'm not sure how that works.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Syjefroi posted:

I guess what I can't figure out is how it works going forward. Let's say I buy something for $50 in a few weeks, after the deferred interest for the Apple product is all wrapped up. Do I get a year of deferred interest for that item? Do I have that $50 on the credit bill along with whatever the interest is (20-30% or something), or do I have a cycle to pay that $50 off before interest kicks in? Barclay's website does not have easy answers. That's why I'm considering just moving on to a new card from scratch that has policies laid out more clearly.

The main reason I don't want to neglect the Barclay card is that I don't want any hits to my credit, but I'm not sure how that works.

From the T&C of your specific card:

quote:

Your due date is at least 23 days after the close of each billing cycle. We will not charge you interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month.

Credit card companies give a grace period on interest through the payment due date as long as the balance is always paid in full. The payment date will be on your statement and if you pay off the balance on the statement by this date then you won't be charged interest. As stated earlier, if a payment is ever made late or not in full, then the grace period is generally removed and interest is charged from the date that purchases post.

Why do you care about your credit score?

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

asur posted:

From the T&C of your specific card:

Credit card companies give a grace period on interest through the payment due date as long as the balance is always paid in full. The payment date will be on your statement and if you pay off the balance on the statement by this date then you won't be charged interest. As stated earlier, if a payment is ever made late or not in full, then the grace period is generally removed and interest is charged from the date that purchases post.

Why do you care about your credit score?

Ah I see, thanks. So it wouldn't hurt to use it, but if I opened up another card with better specs, since the Barclay card doesn't appear to have any particular benefits right now, would I close out the Barclay or let it sit inactive?

I tried to open a credit card about 6 years ago and was denied because of my credit. The introductory card with the bank I'd been with for 8-9 years. I wasn't sure how/why my credit was bad, I assumed student loan stuff, but it was frustrating. I also was turned down for a few different apartments because of my weak credit score. I don't have any debts besides student loans so if I'm not doing anything wrong, the only way to improve the score, I assume, is to do some new things right.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Talk to Barclaycard about a product change to one of their other cards if there are any that interest you or the rewards match your spending. I know their basic rewards card and the Sallie Mae card are both popular.

You won't get any sign-up bonus or initial special financing offer when doing a product change though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I must have missed a notice: I went through my benefits for my Citi Forward card and it looks like the killed 5x's points for dining.

Anyone else have this happen? All I use it for it dining, otherwise I just use double cash now, so I'll just stop using the card if so.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you are denied credit you should receive a letter in the mail stating why and some information on how to get a credit report for free. I would make sure there isn't any incorrect information on your credit report to start.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I must have missed a notice: I went through my benefits for my Citi Forward card and it looks like the killed 5x's points for dining.

Anyone else have this happen? All I use it for it dining, otherwise I just use double cash now, so I'll just stop using the card if so.

My Citi forward is still giving me 5x on dining.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The citi double cash is pretty nice but a slightly less known perk is the rewind feature. Buy something online and citi will do a search for 60 days looking for s cheaper price and give you a refund of the difference. So far I've gotten $6 but hey it's something. :toot:

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Cash back on $300 of spending!

So do you have to do anything for that? Eg... I guess They know exactly why product you purchased through the transaction? I never figured that Best Buy was reporting to citi that I just bought an Xbox...

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Dead Pressed posted:

Cash back on $300 of spending!

So do you have to do anything for that? Eg... I guess They know exactly why product you purchased through the transaction? I never figured that Best Buy was reporting to citi that I just bought an Xbox...

They don't, you have to individually register your purchases on the Citi site along with a picture of an itemized receipt. Still a really great perk.

EDIT: Here's the full procedure

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I'm currently looking for a new credit card for use here in Canada for the next year or so, mostly to just buy one or two plane tickets and nothing else. A few questions:

- How good are "cash back" offers? After closing my old bank account that had a Visa card I realized I barely ever used that card because all it did was generate reward points for crappy rewards. Then again, I barely used it anyway because I used debit only and auto-paid my bills directly off pre-authorized transactions from my checking account.

- What is a "balance transfer fee" exactly? Is that when you use a credit card to pay off what you owe on another? If that's the case, I used to pay off my balance in full every month and only paid what I could afford, so does this not matter to me?

- I am not planning on withdrawing money from an ATM using my credit card or anything, the only think I'll be doing is using my CC to purchase online stuff. If I get a CC, should I put all my expenses on it to maximize my rewards? If I do, how can I claim certain expenses over others?

Given that I won't be traveling much at all these next several months, what kind of card should I be looking for?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

I'm currently looking for a new credit card for use here in Canada for the next year or so, mostly to just buy one or two plane tickets and nothing else. A few questions:

- How good are "cash back" offers? After closing my old bank account that had a Visa card I realized I barely ever used that card because all it did was generate reward points for crappy rewards. Then again, I barely used it anyway because I used debit only and auto-paid my bills directly off pre-authorized transactions from my checking account.

- What is a "balance transfer fee" exactly? Is that when you use a credit card to pay off what you owe on another? If that's the case, I used to pay off my balance in full every month and only paid what I could afford, so does this not matter to me?

- I am not planning on withdrawing money from an ATM using my credit card or anything, the only think I'll be doing is using my CC to purchase online stuff. If I get a CC, should I put all my expenses on it to maximize my rewards? If I do, how can I claim certain expenses over others?

Given that I won't be traveling much at all these next several months, what kind of card should I be looking for?

The balance transfer fee only applies when you are transferring another credit card balance to your current card. It usually goes along with a low interest/no interest promo period. The cashback/rewards from a credit card are not very much in relation to any sign up bonuses. AMEX gold has a 25k bonus for $500 spend now, basically 50+% cashback if you do not have an AMEX yet. I would check if there are any other rewards cards with a low minimum spend and good bonuses if you already have that one.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I plan to get both the Citi Thank You Premier and Prestige cards, so that I can take advantage of the higher value, pooled points. However, is there a specific sequence I should apply for them?

I only keep cards long enough to get the sign on bonus but not get a second annual fee.

I’m thinking I should do the Thank You Premier first, get the bonus, then the Prestige, so that I can pool them, and they higher value points will be around and usable longer. Am I thinking about this right or am I over thinking it?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

dexter6 posted:

I plan to get both the Citi Thank You Premier and Prestige cards, so that I can take advantage of the higher value, pooled points. However, is there a specific sequence I should apply for them?

I only keep cards long enough to get the sign on bonus but not get a second annual fee.

I’m thinking I should do the Thank You Premier first, get the bonus, then the Prestige, so that I can pool them, and they higher value points will be around and usable longer. Am I thinking about this right or am I over thinking it?

The Prestige airline credit, $250 on basically anything processed by an airline, is yearly so I would look into how you can use it and probably avoid getting the card near the beginning or end of the year as that limits the amount of time you have. Just as a note, stated policy on almost all credit cards is that the minimum spend required is purchases minus returns and credits. This policy seems to be inconsistently followed for credits, but if you want to be on the safe side make your minimum spend meets that criteria.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Southwest Premier and Plus both have 50k sign-up bonuses, which makes it feasible to get the companion pass.

Edit: Do what PigSlutLisa says.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 1, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Blinkman987 posted:

Southwest Premier and Plus both have 50k sign-up bonuses, which makes it feasible to get the companion pass. That requires another 10k points collected by December 31st, but I do believe that some point transfers (Hyatt and Marriott yes, CSP no) work. So, enjoy what's left of 2015 and 2016.

If you're applying for these cards now, it makes much more sense to wait a couple weeks to apply and hold off on hitting the bonus spending threshold until January. Then you can knock out the remaining points in early 2016 and have the Companion Pass for 2016/2017, rather than 2015/2016.

That's my plan anyway. I'd rather have the CP for 18+ months than the 12 or so I could get by earning the bonuses before the end of the year.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

pig slut lisa posted:

If you're applying for these cards now, it makes much more sense to wait a couple weeks to apply and hold off on hitting the bonus spending threshold until January. Then you can knock out the remaining points in early 2016 and have the Companion Pass for 2016/2017, rather than 2015/2016.

That's my plan anyway. I'd rather have the CP for 18+ months than the 12 or so I could get by earning the bonuses before the end of the year.

Great point. I'm dumb.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I completely dropped the ball and forgot I was going on vacation to Europe on the 15th. I was planning on just withdrawing cash at the ATMs for daily poo poo but I guess it wouldn't be bad to have a no foreign translation card. Is it possible to apply for one today and have the card delivered by the 14th I don't remember what the usual delivery times are. Also CK says my score is 756 so which card do I want? As far as I understand that shouldn't really restrict me from too much right.

e: it's looking like the chase sapphire preferred is what I want?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 1, 2015

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I completely dropped the ball and forgot I was going on vacation to Europe on the 15th. I was planning on just withdrawing cash at the ATMs for daily poo poo but I guess it wouldn't be bad to have a no foreign translation card. Is it possible to apply for one today and have the card delivered by the 14th I don't remember what the usual delivery times are. Also CK says my score is 756 so which card do I want? As far as I understand that shouldn't really restrict me from too much right.

If you're going to meet the minimum spend for the bonus, go for it. Just don't forget to cancel before the annual fee hits next year.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Capitol one quicksilver is a no fee 1.5% cash back with no ftf. You might be able to get rush processing. Should probably call them vs filling out an online app

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I did a little more research and it actually looks like my Barclay AAdvantage Aviator Red card has no foreign transaction fee. I can't find this on the Barclay website but the AA page showing the card says it so I'll just give them a call later to ask I guess.

Related question: I have both that Barclay card and the citi AAdvantage Platinum Select. I've looked through both benefits now and it looks like they both give the same flight benefits (1 bag, 10% mile return, group 1 boarding, 25% inflight food), the same mile collection (2x for AA purchases, 1x for other). The citi card is $95 and the Barclay card is $89. The Citi card specifically says there's a 3% foreign transaction fee.

I wasn't planning on keeping both (or one even) of those cards after getting my signup bonuses so is it a no brained to just close the Citi card? If Citi has another offer with a nice sign up bonus, is it possible for me to get that bonus and then get my current credit limit transferred over to the new card (assuming I just hold onto this card before my year is up)?

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
The AAviator Red is probably the better card to keep, especially since you can't get it again at the moment. It's also chip+pin fallback, as opposed to just chip+signature.

Only things to note about the AAdvantage Platinum is that starting Nov 15th or something, it'll also be foreign transaction fee-free. Also closing it resets the clock until you can get another bonus for one, if you're into churning.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I did a little more research and it actually looks like my Barclay AAdvantage Aviator Red card has no foreign transaction fee. I can't find this on the Barclay website but the AA page showing the card says it so I'll just give them a call later to ask I guess.
Correct. The Barclay Red card does not have a foreign transaction fee.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wasn't planning on keeping both (or one even) of those cards after getting my signup bonuses so is it a no brained to just close the Citi card? If Citi has another offer with a nice sign up bonus, is it possible for me to get that bonus and then get my current credit limit transferred over to the new card (assuming I just hold onto this card before my year is up)?
At the moment, Citi's policy is that if you just opened or cancelled a card, for the next 18 months, any cards of the same kind opened will not receive a signup bonus. However, there are presently four kinds of AA cards, so you cold always go for a Gold card instead.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So what you're saying is that I can apply for that Gold card to get the signup bonus even though I've had the current Platinum Select card for less than 18 months? Say I do this and now have a eg 10k limit gold card now. Can I call Citi she tell them I want to cancel the platinum card because reasons, and get my current eg 10k limit transferred over to the gold card so in the end I have a gold card with a 20k limit?

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Yes, the 18-month timer is per-product and the AAdvantage Gold and AAdvantage Platinum are two separate products. But you don't need to cancel the other card, as doing so will reset your timer for the AAdvantage Platinum card, if you're thinking of churning it. You can have as many Platinum or Gold cards at once as you like. Also, canceling your card immediately might damage your relationship with Citi.

Also, worth noting if you get upgraded from a Citi AAdvantage Gold World MasterCard to a Citi AAdvantage Gold World Elite MasterCard, this counts as a different product and you can apply and get the bonus again. It's bizarre and also works for the AAdvantage Platinum cards too.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This is sort of an airline question as much as it is a card question, but I'm wondering if it's worth bothering to grab the Gold SkyMiles card (which has a 50k bonus via incognito) if I'll be flying out of DTW for another number of months. There are usually enough AA options (though American Eagle), but maybe Delta's options on the whole would be better. I've never flown Delta but it seems like with many other airlines the experiences are mixed. I'm not short on total points by any means right now but it's a really low spend for the 50k and there'd at least be some sort of priority boarding.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
There is a Ask me about business travel/frequent travel thread that talks about this stuff regularly, but here's my opinion.

My local airport is a Delta hub but I won't bother with collecting SkyMiles (commonly referred to as "SkyPesos") because it's near impossible to actually redeem them for saver-level award flights. Not completely, but more than enough that it makes sense for me to use AA to fly out of my airport to one of their bigger hubs and just move on from there. A bit more of a pain, but free flights that I can actually redeem so hey.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SuperSpiff posted:

There is a Ask me about business travel/frequent travel thread that talks about this stuff regularly, but here's my opinion.

My local airport is a Delta hub but I won't bother with collecting SkyMiles (commonly referred to as "SkyPesos") because it's near impossible to actually redeem them for saver-level award flights. Not completely, but more than enough that it makes sense for me to use AA to fly out of my airport to one of their bigger hubs and just move on from there. A bit more of a pain, but free flights that I can actually redeem so hey.

Yeah, I was aware of that thread, but I figured I'd ask here as it involved the CC and subsequent rewards. I've seen the SkyPesos term thrown around numerous times but some people don't seem to mind Delta even after the devaluations. My hub is normally PHL which is AA, but I considered spending some time with Delta. Might ask in there and get some feedback, too.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

triple sulk posted:

This is sort of an airline question as much as it is a card question, but I'm wondering if it's worth bothering to grab the Gold SkyMiles card (which has a 50k bonus via incognito) if I'll be flying out of DTW for another number of months. There are usually enough AA options (though American Eagle), but maybe Delta's options on the whole would be better. I've never flown Delta but it seems like with many other airlines the experiences are mixed. I'm not short on total points by any means right now but it's a really low spend for the 50k and there'd at least be some sort of priority boarding.

The 50K bonus is the promo level bonus, so that's good. You only get the personal card Amex bonuses once in a lifetime now, so you can get it now but there's no rush or anything to start churning them.

I really like having an Amex. They're basically the perfect company in terms of customer service. If you read back a few pages, they accidentally let a $1,000 Plat points bonus get into the wild and accommodated nearly everyone who called in to try to get the promo. Everything besides some hiccups in the online account creation process has been perfect with Amex.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Blinkman987 posted:

The 50K bonus is the promo level bonus, so that's good. You only get the personal card Amex bonuses once in a lifetime now, so you can get it now but there's no rush or anything to start churning them.

I really like having an Amex. They're basically the perfect company in terms of customer service. If you read back a few pages, they accidentally let a $1,000 Plat points bonus get into the wild and accommodated nearly everyone who called in to try to get the promo. Everything besides some hiccups in the online account creation process has been perfect with Amex.

No need to tell me about that 100k bonus because I was one of those people who took advantage of it. I have three other cards with them, two of which are the recently acquired PRG with a 50k bonus and the SPG during the 30k promo, the latter two of which I hit the spend for. I was interested in the Gold because that 50k is pretty high for how low the spending requirement is. I have a ton of points/miles right now, but I'm looking to keep things diversified too because I'm worried about AA devaluation, although that would be a subject to discuss in the FF thread.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a good secured card out there right now?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

triple sulk posted:

Yeah, I was aware of that thread, but I figured I'd ask here as it involved the CC and subsequent rewards. I've seen the SkyPesos term thrown around numerous times but some people don't seem to mind Delta even after the devaluations. My hub is normally PHL which is AA, but I considered spending some time with Delta. Might ask in there and get some feedback, too.

I used to live in Detroit and still go back for family visits so I fly Delta and have the Gold AMEX.

The main thing about the card (besides the standard free checked bag, priority boarding, and discounts on in-flight purchases) is that you can use their "Pay With Miles" plan to buy Delta flights which makes it much easier to use the miles you earn.

No need to worry about reward redemption tickets availability or collecting the right amount of miles. One mile = 1 cent (so basically 1 percent cash back on purchases) and you can redeem starting at 10,000 miles for $100 ticket credit. You can use the credits on any ticket, no restrictions.

Oh and this also works on miles you earn from flying. They are all worth 1 cent each too.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Is there a good secured card out there right now?

I've read that Discover's secured card is one of the best. It's my understanding that it's not something that you can apply for, but instead, if you apply for a Discover card and are not approved, they may offer you the secured card instead.

My experience with Discover is short, but I like having one of their cards. They do customer service right.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
My time with Chase was particularly excellent. Little to no wait, instantaneous service. Probably some of the best customer service I've ever had.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bank of America sent me a pre-approval for their visa: $200 bonus for $500 spending, no annual fee. I've whored a couple other similar bonuses and plan to do this as well unless there's a reason I shouldn't that I'm not aware of? Temporary 40% cashback sounds good to me.

Not sure if that bonus is available to everyone or just people they spam-mail.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Blinky2099 posted:

Bank of America sent me a pre-approval for their visa: $200 bonus for $500 spending, no annual fee. I've whored a couple other similar bonuses and plan to do this as well unless there's a reason I shouldn't that I'm not aware of? Temporary 40% cashback sounds good to me.

Not sure if that bonus is available to everyone or just people they spam-mail.

Even a "pre-approval", they still run credit on you usually right? Wells Fargo did to me. You kinda run into hard inquiry limits quicker than you think, I started getting denied after 7 cards in 5 months. I'm not sure when I can start up again (I've got 9 pulls in 6 months now with the 2 denials, might give it 3 months before trying for something new again?).

So think ahead. Personally there are still so many really good bonuses available out there, I wouldn't mess with anything less than $400/inquiry. Or for something that you're going to need (I got the amex everyday to be able to save the MR points from 2 platinum cards when I cancel them).

I've seen people who've been doing it awhile seem to draw the line lower, around 300-350 in value.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baddog posted:

Even a "pre-approval", they still run credit on you usually right? Wells Fargo did to me. You kinda run into hard inquiry limits quicker than you think, I started getting denied after 7 cards in 5 months. I'm not sure when I can start up again (I've got 9 pulls in 6 months now with the 2 denials, might give it 3 months before trying for something new again?).

So think ahead. Personally there are still so many really good bonuses available out there, I wouldn't mess with anything less than $400/inquiry. Or for something that you're going to need (I got the amex everyday to be able to save the MR points from 2 platinum cards when I cancel them).

I've seen people who've been doing it awhile seem to draw the line lower, around 300-350 in value.

Gotcha. I guess I haven't shopped around for many $400+ bonuses. I've taken chase freedom $200, american express jetblue 20,000 points (probably only $300-400ish in points), etc. Maybe I'll hold off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

becoming posted:

I've read that Discover's secured card is one of the best. It's my understanding that it's not something that you can apply for, but instead, if you apply for a Discover card and are not approved, they may offer you the secured card instead.

My experience with Discover is short, but I like having one of their cards. They do customer service right.

I think that Discover's secured card is the best available, but it's true that you can't apply for it directly. If you aren't offered the secured version of the card you can try calling Discover's reconsideration line or applying for one of these instead. http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/nerdwallets-best-secured-credit-cards/