Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I want skill check fails. Well, perk check fails? Try and hold someone up with your gun without the right perk:

"NOBODY STICKING MOVE, THIS IS A FUCKUP!"

Raise your price or... or... you'll be "chip outta luck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

ymgve posted:

The V.A.N.S skill is probably more like the Clairvoyance spell in Skyrim - it shows you an actual path, like a GPS, to your objective.

I hope so, as Clairvoyance was my favorite spell design in Skyrim. Not because I even used it a ton, but I just like it when they make RP-friendly mechanisms to explain away some of the player omniscience and heavy hand-holding that seems so popular these days. Luckily the pipboy is already a reasonably believable way to have a lot of info available.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, someone actually used Clairvoyance? It's not like Bethesda's quests are really brainbusters.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I used Clairvoyance because I turned off quest markers and sometimes you need to find a person that is inside of a house

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's weird, but whatever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I kind of hope that you can repair cars to either run as they were back in the day or in whatever weird retro futuristic robot walker you could turn them into. JOHN/JANE Fallout seems like the kind of person to just dick around fixing poo poo and a car is the quintessential fixer-upper next to power armor and a vertabird.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

I know there's people who are going 'doesn't belong in fallout' but imo it fits perfectly and the realtime settler mods for FNV and Skyrim were cool.

Why would people say that when it and gun modding are the only changes Bethesda made for FO4 that at all belong in Fallout (thematically at least)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wondering about running a high-CHA character that looks like Tina Turner. I mean, you can set up caravans, clearly, you run Bartertown.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Rincewind posted:

Raise your price or... or... you'll be "chip outta luck."

Don't move or I'll kiss your rear end! Wait, poo poo

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Crabtree posted:

I kind of hope that you can repair cars to either run as they were back in the day or in whatever weird retro futuristic robot walker you could turn them into. JOHN/JANE Fallout seems like the kind of person to just dick around fixing poo poo and a car is the quintessential fixer-upper next to power armor and a vertabird.

A good idea on paper, but based on their horses I do not want Beth to even attempt driving.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nasgate posted:

A good idea on paper, but based on their horses I do not want Beth to even attempt driving.

When it came to Oblivion, one of Bethesda's lead designers literally described horses as "walking motorcycles" and then proceeded to reference those photos of mountain goats standing on incredibly steep surfaces as evidence of horses being able to climb cliff faces.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Crabtree posted:

I hope I can bolt cars onto my power armor. Not to drive, just... wedge 'em in there somewhere. Like a utility belt, or a Liefeld character.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I hope I can bolt cars onto my power armor. Not to drive, just... wedge 'em in there somewhere. Like a utility belt, or a Liefeld character.

Can we settle on making stupid wasteland armor from car parts like wearing fenders on your shoulders and the bumper/grill across the chest?

Speedball posted:

Wondering about running a high-CHA character that looks like Tina Turner. I mean, you can set up caravans, clearly, you run Bartertown.

I really hope we can name settlements whatever we want. I am the mayor and owner of Penisvile, Dicksilvania, Bartertown and Castle Gray Skull.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Quick, someone repost that guy melting down over "confirmed bachelor" not being a suave pick up artist but a homo thx

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
Here's a link to a high resolution version of the perk chart for those who want it: http://imgur.com/nUynGUq

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I actually feel like stuff like this works best with a hidden system where you pick the original dialogue option but it only comes out right if you have the requisite points/perks. In NV the only reason to pick those options is if you intentionally want to gently caress up for a laugh. It's funny that they're there, but it would be funnier to me if you picked the Threaten button and your milquetoast bookworm's voice cracked when he tried to act hard.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lotish posted:

I actually feel like stuff like this works best with a hidden system where you pick the original dialogue option but it only comes out right if you have the requisite points/perks. In NV the only reason to pick those options is if you intentionally want to gently caress up for a laugh. It's funny that they're there, but it would be funnier to me if you picked the Threaten button and your milquetoast bookworm's voice cracked when he tried to act hard.

Dunno, I liked playing the functionally retarded character in NV with 1-2 INT who'd scream about ICECREAM, which happened to be every AI's default passcode in the game.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Zombie Boat posted:

Now name all the games about idiots on the internet who argue about irrelevant things.

For instance, a game where guys argue about, oh I don't know, Vikings. See, they argue about these vikings in a forum specifically about a game set in a wasteland after a nuclear disaster. Like it's absolutely unrelated to the thread topic. How many games on steam like that, brainiac?

I'm only responding because I think the following is a pretty fun game:

http://www.forumwarz.com/

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm sure a mod for that command will be available on the first day.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Why would people say that when it and gun modding are the only changes Bethesda made for FO4 that at all belong in Fallout (thematically at least)

I remember people back a couple hundred pages being mad about it being in there because it would take dev time away from more real fallout poo poo or something. I remember them specifically being mad about the light sequencing and calling it minecraft in fallout.

I think they're mark rear end bustas because that poo poo looks hella cool I can't wait to set up turrets on automatic triggers and poo poo like it's dwarf fortress: nuclear edition

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K5O_fjTyh8

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ymgve posted:

A few pages back, but is your "Skyrim is generic viking themed" argument only backed by two games that were released after Skyrim? That's like hating Lord of the Rings for being generic fantasy.

Also neither of them are RPGs.

I know this is last page but lol at the irony of you mentioning LotR while criticising someone for not presenting generic Viking fantasy.

LotR creation and background lore is pretty literally "what if I combined the Norse mythos with Abraham's war in heaven"
Like, you provided the best example of the most generic/uninspired example of viking fantasy.

For any LotR fans, I'm not making any statements on the series quality/writing, just it's setting.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

On a side note, here is a new fabulous video of Fallout 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEUyUJjQIw

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I want skill check fails. Well, perk check fails? Try and hold someone up with your gun without the right perk:

"NOBODY STICKING MOVE, THIS IS A FUCKUP!"

Both perks and SPECIAL stat points affect skill checks. the result is basically the same, choices just presented differently. Not that its a bad thing at all.
I dont like the critical button. it should be as before, dice roll with item and ability modifiers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

nimh posted:

I dont like the critical button. it should be as before, dice roll with item and ability modifiers
I'm skeptical but criticals are a somewhat rote mechanic we for some reason accept has to be near identical in most rpgs. I welcome experimentation.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I kinda like it, now it's more of a tactical choice

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

nimh posted:

I'm curious, what's your reasoning behind this? The dice roll element, specifically. I personally could take it either way, but there's something seductive about it being player controlled. I like the idea of using it when I want to, for example, get out of a tight spot. I could be slightly biased, I think player driven mechanics are A+++ game design so v:v:v

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

frajaq posted:

I kinda like it, now it's more of a tactical choice

The description of Gun Fu made it sound like random criticals are still in, but maybe what it does is fill your meter more for every target you select after the first until you have guaranteed crits.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crits are all about delayed gratification, if you turn them into a triggered power-up it just becomes a boring thing that only happens whenever you want it to, and it removes one of the only satisfying things about the combat in both Skyrim and FO3 which was seeing a shot turn into a crit in slow motion at random.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Then just hit the crit button whenever it fills up, regardless of whether it would be strategic or not.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Quick, someone repost that guy melting down over "confirmed bachelor" not being a suave pick up artist but a homo thx

which one

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll take anything that makes VATS marginally more interesting.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

I remember people back a couple hundred pages being mad about it being in there because it would take dev time away from more real fallout poo poo or something. I remember them specifically being mad about the light sequencing and calling it minecraft in fallout.

I think they're mark rear end bustas because that poo poo looks hella cool I can't wait to set up turrets on automatic triggers and poo poo like it's dwarf fortress: nuclear edition

Nah, settlement building is basically the only change I don't think is stupid or was fine before (well that and the supposedly improved shooting) and I'm definitely an rear end in a top hat New-Vegas-above-all NMA sympathizer. Carving out some semblance of an existence and ekeing out something resembling order (or not) in the wasteland has been a Fallout theme for a long time, even in 3, where no other theme is readily identifiable lol

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nasgate posted:

I know this is last page but lol at the irony of you mentioning LotR while criticising someone for not presenting generic Viking fantasy.

LotR creation and background lore is pretty literally "what if I combined the Norse mythos with Abraham's war in heaven"
Like, you provided the best example of the most generic/uninspired example of viking fantasy.

For any LotR fans, I'm not making any statements on the series quality/writing, just it's setting.

Calling LOTR viking fantasy is like calling Aladdin Chinese fantasy since it's technically set in China.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
LotR pretty much invented 'generic' fantasy though. You can't really hold it against Tolkien that everyone's copied his style.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Let's be honest: You want to fulfill your Voltron/Transformers combiner dreams/fetishes.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

computer parts posted:

Calling LOTR viking fantasy is like calling Aladdin Chinese fantasy since it's technically set in China.

Nasgate posted:

You seem to have failed your perception roll buddy. You also haven't read much Norse mythology if you think a poo poo ton of walking, weird trials against your skill,elves being enigmatic unhelpful fucks, and the group slowly dwindling until one character finishes the quest isn't Viking as hell, you're fooling yourself.

On the topic of generic; it's interesting to think about how way back when, elves eating small children and putting on their skin then using the disguise for free food from the parents would be generic.

Re; Crit chat.
I like the idea because the way crits work in most games now is just a shallow system to easily increase dps. And in most ARPG games, it's the easiest, most broken way to increase your damage.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I don't really care about random criticals from regular combat changing, but I would be very disappointed if stealth auto-criticals were out.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Considering the trigger crit function has only seemed to be a VATS thing from the footage shown so far, I would guess it's just a vats bonus mechanic and not replacing all crits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

RVWinkle posted:

I'm only responding because I think the following is a pretty fun game:

http://www.forumwarz.com/

holy poo poo this still exists

• Locked thread