Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also gators, snakes, and the most dangerous wildlife of all, Florida Man

You're not kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Testing a pedestrian-aware car.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

JB50 posted:

Its kind of the go to if you want to do something like, I dont know, HEAT YOUR HOUSE.

That's really dependant on where you live.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

crabcakes66 posted:

lol, wood

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Say Nothing posted:

Yup. It's aware.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Say Nothing posted:

The best part of this gif is that the model they were testing was available with pedestrian detection and avoidance, but that the individual vehicle they used for the test wasn't optioned with it.

:downs:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
How do you test the pedestrian detection and avoidance with a car that does not have it installed?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Feindfeuer posted:

How do you test the pedestrian detection and avoidance with a car that does not have it installed?

Once

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

JB50 posted:

Its kind of the go to if you want to do something like, I dont know, HEAT YOUR HOUSE.

I live in Norway, it's not like we are unfamiliar with cold weather.

At the moment I live in central Oslo, so we are on the district heating system: There are a couple of large plants that heat water by burning garbage (and a few that collect waste heat from sewage), and some secondary plants to add extra heat when needed by, yes, burning gas. On our end, we have a heat exchanger in the basement for the radiators and hot water in the building.

Outside that sort of thing, we are mostly phasing out oil burners (my parents just replaced their kerosene stove with an electrical heat pump plus a modern wood stove for the coldest days), and there's lots of electrical heating in general. Like in the pacific NW, cheap hydro power helps.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
In rural Canada there is a lot of propane heating still. After the last 2 lovely winters a lot of smaller towns are starting to go to natural gas cause propane started getting close to $1/L and it's really annoying to have to get gas delivered so often when it's -35 C (doesn't really matter if Celsius or Fahrenheit that low I guess). A lot of my job is doing main extensions to bring gas from dead ends to new customers/businesses because they're getting rid of propane or fuel oil.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

WebDog posted:

Yup. It's aware.

To perform rigorous science you need a control test.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

In rural Canada there is a lot of propane heating still. After the last 2 lovely winters a lot of smaller towns are starting to go to natural gas cause propane started getting close to $1/L and it's really annoying to have to get gas delivered so often when it's -35 C (doesn't really matter if Celsius or Fahrenheit that low I guess). A lot of my job is doing main extensions to bring gas from dead ends to new customers/businesses because they're getting rid of propane or fuel oil.

At -35C wouldn't LPG start to have problems with vapour pressure, meaning that it doesn't matter how much propane costs, unless you can burn it as a liquid you aren't using any?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Don't knock it, it's super cheap and carbon neutral to boot. Most work intense option though. Might sound like the 19th century but there a lot of new houses being built here (Finland) with wood heating. Though geothermal heat pumps are moving in, that's what we got and it's really nice and cheap to run.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

His Divine Shadow posted:

Don't knock it, it's super cheap and carbon neutral to boot. Most work intense option though. Might sound like the 19th century but there a lot of new houses being built here (Finland) with wood heating. Though geothermal heat pumps are moving in, that's what we got and it's really nice and cheap to run.

Many people probably still think wood heating is only log-based.

http://energy.gov/energysaver/wood-and-pellet-heating posted:

Pellet fuel appliances are more convenient to operate than ordinary wood stoves or fireplaces, and some have much higher combustion and heating efficiencies. As a consequence of this, they produce very little air pollution. In fact, pellet stoves are the cleanest solid fuel, residential heating appliance. Pellet stoves that are certified by the EPA are likely to be in the 70% to 83% efficiency range. Pellet stoves have heating capacities that range between 8,000 and 90,000 Btu per hour. They are suitable for homes as well as apartments or condominiums

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was talking about logs though, but I know about pellets, cleaner and easier to automate, but they aren't as dirt cheap. It's a tradeoff.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I was talking about logs though, but I know about pellets, cleaner and easier to automate, but they aren't as dirt cheap. It's a tradeoff.

My area a lot of the older homes have wood burning stoves and with the abundance of forests, people will literally heat their home with the deadfall around their homes.

There is always another way to skin a cat.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

IPCRESS posted:

At -35C wouldn't LPG start to have problems with vapour pressure, meaning that it doesn't matter how much propane costs, unless you can burn it as a liquid you aren't using any?

If it's -35C inside the furnace, gas supply isn't your number one problem.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have a family member living in rural France, in the middle of nowhere. He's a carpenter and he literally heats his house with the waste from his workshop.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

crabcakes66 posted:

I guess living in MN has clouded my opinion.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

IPCRESS posted:

I'm not sure how it works exactly with propane, I just know they have an external tank(s) with a gas line into what I am assuming a regulator inside because they don't have any risers outside.

Funny story, we were drilling a small gas service into an old old cottage near Owen Sound, basically cottage country. The house was maybe 100m from lake Huron so the guy had a little pump house and stuff for fresh water and had an overhead water service into his house. I almost ran into the fucker, it was only about 5' off the ground.

Now beside the pump house he has a fuel oil tank which looks to be as old as the cottage is. The guy wanted the gas regulator to be installed pretty much where he had his fuel oil line coming into his house. So they start to dig around where the line is and all you can smell is diesel, oil, and other contaminants. The line has probably been leaking for years and we wanted nothing to do with it. We called our boss, he said get the gently caress outta there and so we filled all our holes and left. We didn't want to get blamed for contaminated soil so close to the lake, and in cottage country.

The guy probably regrets getting gas now, if the ministry of environment finds out, he's hosed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The natural gas lines in the house I'm renting are piped really stupidly. They come into the house, then immediately split, one line to the furnace, the other to the water heater/stove. There is a valve after the split for the line to the furnace. The other line goes down through the floor and pops up through the floor at the water heater. From what I can tell, it's a single bend piece of pipe.

At the water heater, there's another split, one line for the water heater and another for the stove. Again, there's a valve after the split for the water furnace. All this means that there is no valve anywhere between the outside of the house and the stove. When I hooked up my stove, I had to shut the gas off at the meter. I read that this would prevent the meter from working and I'd have to get the gas company to come out, but the meter is old enough that this security measure isn't in place.

At some point while hooking up the stove, the pipe coming out of the floor got kinked and sprung a leak. We shut the gas off, opened the windows, and left for a bit. My friend called his handyman cousin in, who cut the pipe back, put a proper valve in the line, and we got everything hooked up again. Still wish there was a valve right when the gas line enters the house, but it's not my building and I'm not about to start redoing gas lines.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EPA posted:

pellet stoves are the cleanest solid fuel, residential heating appliance

Lol, what's the alternative? Coal? Uranium?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Platystemon posted:

or cow chips

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Coal and wood in non-pellet form I'd imagine.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

There was a Polish movie called "The Promised Land" about these guys running a factory circa-1900 and there's plenty of OSHA there. That was back when they had tons of belt-driven equipment before it was more practical to use electrical stuff.

There was a scene in particular where these two guys get into a fight in the powerhouse, and end up falling into a large drive belt and get torn to unrecognizable shreds in a pretty graphic way. :psyduck:

Jaramin posted:

It probably looked more like this when he found it

Idiot probably thought it was a weird gas tank. Still, that yellow tip screams "this explodes" to anyone with a functional brain.

DANGER! UBX!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 27, 2015

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

Three-Phase posted:

There was a Polish movie called "The Promised Land" about these guys running a factory circa-1900 and there's plenty of OSHA there. That was back when they had tons of belt-driven equipment before it was more practical to use electrical stuff.

There was a scene in particular where these two guys get into a fight in the powerhouse, and end up falling into a large drive belt and get torn to unrecognizable shreds in a pretty graphic way. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGUAaDllegw

Now in color.

They had insane dimensions back then, 34 foot diameter flywheels , lol.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
http://www2.newpaltz.edu/~zuckerpr/cases/united.htm

quote:

The decisive principles here involved are, while important, not novel. Appellees include the members of the family of William Daniels, a minor aged nineteen years, who was fatally burned while cleaning coin operated machines as an employee of appellant.

The work was being performed in a room eight by ten feet in area, in which there was a gas heater then lighted with an open flame. The cleaning was being done with gasolene. The testimony yields the unique circumstance that the immediate activating cause of a resultant explosion was the escape of a rat from the machine, and its disappointing attempt to seek sanctuary beneath the heater whereat it overexposed itself and its impregnated coat, and returned in haste and flames to its original hideout. Even though such be a fact, it is not a controlling fact, and serves chiefly to ratify the conclusion that the room was permeated with gasolene vapors. Negligence would be predicated of the juxtaposition of the gasolene and the open flame. Under similar circumstances, the particular detonating agency, whether, as here, an animate version of the classic lighted squib, or as in Johnson v. Kosmos Portland Cement Co., 6 Cir., 64 F.2d 193, a bolt of lightning, was incidental except as illustrating the range of foreseeability.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Are you the goon who had the A/T thread on building the new house? It was pretty cool

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

quote:

ratify the conclusion that the room was permeated with gasolene vapors

:bravo:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Goon Show is the best yes.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Hooded Reptile posted:

They had insane dimensions back then, 34 foot diameter flywheels , lol.

I've still seen flywheels used on equipment to even out the loading, like old 500HP piston air compressors. Otherwise you get nasty torque pulsations on the motor driving the load.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

VendaGoat posted:

My area a lot of the older homes have wood burning stoves and with the abundance of forests, people will literally heat their home with the deadfall around their homes.

There is always another way to skin a cat.

Or, if you're the people in the house behind ours, with anything you can stuff into the loving fireplace. Like garden clippings, grass, actual loving garbage (you can smell the heady stink of burning garbage from their place fairly often). I would not be at all surprised to find out they throw their dead cats into it as well.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

bizwank posted:

What's even the point of only 10K coverage? Back when I rented I carried 50K minimum for property plus 500K personal liability and it cost me $12 a month. I now have a $2M umbrella policy on top of my home/auto and it's an extra $56 a year. Insurance is stupid cheap for how much it can prevent things from ruining your life.

Probably apartment renters who don't have a ton of expensive stuff. I pay $100/year for $20k coverage & 100k property plus includes medical for anyone that gets hurt. It's more than enough for me since I've maybe got $5-6k worth of stuff, tops & live alone, no spouse or kids to worry about.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

lol "returned in haste and flames"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Fun fact, -40 Celsius is the same temperature as -40 Fahrenheit. -35 F is -37 C and -35 C is -31 F, so the temperatures in that range are all quite close to each other.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Fun fact, -40 Celsius is the same temperature as -40 Fahrenheit. -35 F is -37 C and -35 C is -31 F, so the temperatures in that range are all quite close to each other.

And you still freeze to death.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used wood heating my whole life until I enlisted in the military. It's insanely cheap compared to propane, especially if you get a license from the Forest Service to poach their huge slash piles during fire season. You do have to stock up on logs/pellets prior to the actual winter but whatever.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Missed!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Now now now, they hit the outer ring. That's still a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

I used wood heating my whole life until I enlisted in the military. It's insanely cheap compared to propane, especially if you get a license from the Forest Service to poach their huge slash piles during fire season. You do have to stock up on logs/pellets prior to the actual winter but whatever.

Wood is our backup. We use electric, but bad ice/snow storms have knocked power out for as long as 8 days before.

You're real glad you have that little wood stove in the corner then.

Getting the wood can be a real OSHA event every spring though.

• Locked thread