Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Pellisworth posted:

I bring offerings for the sperg gods

ARE YOU NOT SATISFIED

Edit: note if you are trying to factor in Production and Trade Efficiency bonuses from NIs and buildings, this table is showing PE and TE combined. So if you wondered how much adding a Workshop for +50% PE would change things, count that as +25% on the table.

I can convert that to a yearly instead of monthly income if someone really wants.

Tweeting that @Arumba07 right now. Dude fuckin loves spreadsheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This is a more useful version, it's done per year which simplifies interpretation since yearly tax is just 1 x efficiency. So a 0.66 on the chart corresponds to one year of tax income from a -33% off-culture province, etc.

My take away from this would be that buying basetax in 2.0 and 2.5 value provinces isn't a bad idea before 1600 or so. After that production will be a better investment. Keep in mind tax starts at 100% efficiency as opposed to trade and production which scale to 100% from tech by the end of the game. So if you have ADM points to burn for some reason, basetax in your grain and fish provinces is alright.

The flip side of tax starting at full efficiency and production/trade scaling means you can buy it later in the game and you're not losing much.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The only real issue that I have with development as implemented is how it has nerfed New World nations compared to the days of base tax.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't play MP but I would imagine that development is a big deal in MP games once the "eat the AI" phase is largely over, allowing states to remain relevent even if they're landlocked by other players.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I also just like development so that I can stay small-ish. Kinda fun to stick to a historical Prussia size, but still kick the poo poo out of everyone.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't play MP but I would imagine that development is a big deal in MP games once the "eat the AI" phase is largely over, allowing states to remain relevent even if they're landlocked by other players.

This is an advantage, but it is usually much more profitable to fight the other Human players. No one minds though, since the part where you start fighting other human players is always the most interesting phase of a Paradox MP game.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Cross-posting this from the multiplayer thread:

Venice is a good country. If you haven't played it before you should. You can even get up to +2 yearly Republican Tradition from events and a policy.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Well considering that the Religious League War petered out before a fight started and Hungary was able to diplo-annex Austria before I could stop it, I think I'm going to give it a restart. I was going to ask a few things though.

1. What is the best ratio for infantry-cav-cannons in a Western tech army. I know about not having 50+ % of cavalry but I don't know much else ratio wise.

2. I know this may sound dumb but how do I know something is a good production province, and worth putting resources into in the way of building and development?

3. In regards to trade, particularly inland trade. When is the best time to forward vs the best time to collect?

4. If I'm aiming for a Protestant Bohemia, should I even bother trying to become Emperor initially?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SkySteak posted:

Well considering that the Religious League War petered out before a fight started and Hungary was able to diplo-annex Austria before I could stop it, I think I'm going to give it a restart. I was going to ask a few things though.

1. What is the best ratio for infantry-cav-cannons in a Western tech army. I know about not having 50+ % of cavalry but I don't know much else ratio wise.

2. I know this may sound dumb but how do I know something is a good production province, and worth putting resources into in the way of building and development?

3. In regards to trade, particularly inland trade. When is the best time to forward vs the best time to collect?

4. If I'm aiming for a Protestant Bohemia, should I even bother trying to become Emperor initially?

quick answers

1. :can: this is a really common question and you'll get a number of mostly similar opinions. Artillery before ~1600 is mostly for sieges, don't feel like you need a full back row of cannons until tech advances enough that they become worth the cost for battles. Early on cavalry is king and you can build a bunch of it if you want. An "ideal" ratio once you've hit mid-game is something like 8/4/8 or 10/2/8. That's a 20-stack which I find is a pretty convenient size for a standard army. A good rule of thumb is you want 1.5x your artillery in infantry + cavalry to fill the front line plus some reserves. How cav heavy you want to go is up to you it doesn't make a huge difference unless you have cavalry related ideas. Up to 15 artillery will speed up sieges, more than that not helpful in a siege stack. When sieging, detach enough to siege and have the rest of your army spread out to adjacent provinces to occupy and loot them.

2. If it has valuable goods, it's worth buildings and maybe development if it's in plains or farmland. Development is mostly a point dump it's not a great return.

3. For inland mostly you are going to want to steer toward your home node.

4. You can become Emperor if you want, but it's probably not worth a ton of effort and expense to take the title if you're going Protestant immediately, no.

Edit: also it is a really good idea to pad out your armies with some mercenary infantry if you can afford it. Infantry take most of your losses, so it's a great way to conserve manpower.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do you trade effectively if you colonize Indonesia? Are you really going to have to spend 6+ merchants forming a chain?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Baron Porkface posted:

How do you trade effectively if you colonize Indonesia? Are you really going to have to spend 6+ merchants forming a chain?

Firstly, you only need merchants in contested trade nodes, where either locals are trying to horde the trade, or other trade powers are trying to steer it in a different direction. A chain from East Asia into Europe doesnt need merchants in Cape, Zanzibar, Brazil, or other nodes that only go into one direction so long if you are the dominant trade power trade will pull where you want it to go naturally.

Next, western nations get Trade Companies, which give you a free merchant if you have 50%+ of the power in the node. Also CN's give any tech level nation a merch if they have 10 cities or more.

Basically any large trade empire will either have plenty of CN/Trade companies, and/or take expansion/trade ideas and policies that give you bonus merchants. It is not hard to get 10+ merchants near the end of the game

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 27, 2015

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SkySteak posted:

I would like to add some quick notes to a few of these that have already been answered...

1. Artillery will be useful for sieges regardless of tech level or modifier, all that matters is the amount of artillery compared to fort level, so it may be worthwhile to have a mobile artillery detachment to help with sieges. When you fight, artillery works best when it is behind a front line unit, so you will often see recommendations as the post above. I would add to that, that if you are expecting your infantry to get shredded, or your play style involves the use of consolidation often, you are likely to wind up with a quickly diminishing infantry portion of your army. If that is your play style go heavier on the front line to artillery ratio to ensure your forces remain efficient as the war goes on.

2. The best production province for direct cash is gold. Otherwise, the best production provinces are ones that will give you ducats directly by producing a good value product and that you can conceivably build the associated production buildings in without sacrificing something else. Combine this with provinces in trade nodes that you have a lot of power in and you will also reap benefits there as well. Also be on the look out for provincial modifiers as well. For example, if you had a province that was 1/6/2 development with iron with 1 building slot in your collection node, it would be worthwhile to develop that and build a workshop. When you develop the production it would push total development to 10, and then you could double up with a manufacturing building, giving you a fair amount of ducats directly, and also pumping those trade good ducats into the local node where you will collect a high portion of the profit. Keep in mind the converse of this; if you have a one-off province in a node that someone else dominates, when you increase production you are putting more ducats in their pocket as well, and that might not be the best idea.

3. For trade in general, it is best to dominate a good node and steer everything towards it to get multiplicative bonuses. Failing that, try to establish power in a good node and collect there. Mid/long game strategy would be to steal a better node and make that your home node. If you forward trade it increases the value of the trade leaving that node, but if you are forwarding trade to a node you have minuscule power to collect in then it is likely your enemies will get most of that bonus ducats. Trade is actually, uh, pretty complicated in this game to get working just right. One way to get a lot of trade income is to *almost* completely take over the home node of a colonial power. You will collect the majority of the trade value, and they will do all the work pushing the new worlds worth of wealth to you. This can be difficult, obviously.

4. If you no longer meet the requirements to be elected emperor (wrong religion, wrong government, etc...) you lose the title immediately. So, that would be a lot of effort for not a lot of reward. Your best bet would be to win the religious league war then try to become emperor. This also works as a weapon; Hesse became the HRE and you don't like them? Fight them and force convert their religion (assuming you are the opposite Christianity) and they will lose HRE. You can also dismantle the HRE this way, if you make it so that no members could be elected to the position, but if you do that you don't get the prestige for dismantling it, to my knowledge at least.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Production gives you +0.2 Goods Produced, which at 100% Production and Trade Efficiency means a potential 0.2 * 2 * Price yearly income. Obviously that's an "ideal" late-game situation and PE and TE scale with tech from 10% at the start to 100% at max tech.

Production efficiency gets added to the trade value, so if you've got 100% PE you're actually getting 200% of the trade value.

e: misread, maybe?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Production efficiency gets added to the trade value, so if you've got 100% PE you're actually getting 200% of the trade value.

e: misread, maybe?

I think we're on the same page. Production and Trade Efficiency are effectively additive, assuming you're capturing all the trade value (a big assumption).

Production Income = Goods Produced * Goods Value * Production Efficiency

Trade Income = Goods Produced * Goods Value * Trade Efficiency * (how much of the trade you're capturing)

So PE and TE are additive, which is why I simplified my chart to PE + TE as they also increase at most of the same tech levels. They're both multiplicative with Goods Produced, which is the best economic modifier.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lori posted:

Venice is a good country. If you haven't played it before you should. You can even get up to +2 yearly Republican Tradition from events and a policy.

Venice is next on my list after trying to finish this Winged Hussars/Poland Can Into Space/A Kaiser Not Just In Name run.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

I think we're on the same page. Production and Trade Efficiency are effectively additive, assuming you're capturing all the trade value (a big assumption).

Production Income = Goods Produced * Goods Value * Production Efficiency

Trade Income = Goods Produced * Goods Value * Trade Efficiency * (how much of the trade you're capturing)

So PE and TE are additive, which is why I simplified my chart to PE + TE as they also increase at most of the same tech levels. They're both multiplicative with Goods Produced, which is the best economic modifier.

Mostly correct, it's actually

Production Income = Goods Produced * Goods Value * (100% + Production Efficiency)

i.e. if you have 0% PE you'll still get production income.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Pellisworth posted:

I bring offerings for the sperg gods

ARE YOU NOT SATISFIED

Edit: note if you are trying to factor in Production and Trade Efficiency bonuses from NIs and buildings, this table is showing PE and TE combined. So if you wondered how much adding a Workshop for +50% PE would change things, count that as +25% on the table.

I can convert that to a yearly instead of monthly income if someone really wants.

oh holy gently caress I am satisfied I have been driving myself nuts debating on when to develop what but I never really bothered to sink my teeth into it. thank you

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Lori posted:

Its a shame all that money could not wipe away poor military choices for your allies :smug:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The game is a lying bastard when it comes to the opinion effect of subsidies.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Just had a second save file randomly de-ironman over a hundred years in. Does anyone know why this happens, so I can try to avoid it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

MorphineMike posted:

Just had a second save file randomly de-ironman over a hundred years in. Does anyone know why this happens, so I can try to avoid it?

I once had that happen because I ctrl-alt-del out of a game due to lazyness. Maybe that?

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Nope, I always exit from the menu.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
God drat this loving game is irritating the poo poo out of me lately. The small scale wars are fine, against nations like Bohemia and such. The large scale wars are irritating beyond belief. The forts are an amazing concept, there are actual frontiers and the AI deploys them quite decently. What erks me is that they're ignored when occupied. The AI just spams the poo poo out of 1 stack mercenaries and just blows deep into occupied lines and starts capturing the lands that aren't forted. When fighting Commonwealth or France you can't stop it, they always get through. Why the hell don't the forts block when occupied?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MorphineMike posted:

Are you using local or cloud saves? I've only ever had that happen using cloud saves. No issue with local so far.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

YouTuber posted:

God drat this loving game is irritating the poo poo out of me lately. The small scale wars are fine, against nations like Bohemia and such. The large scale wars are irritating beyond belief. The forts are an amazing concept, there are actual frontiers and the AI deploys them quite decently. What erks me is that they're ignored when occupied. The AI just spams the poo poo out of 1 stack mercenaries and just blows deep into occupied lines and starts capturing the lands that aren't forted. When fighting Commonwealth or France you can't stop it, they always get through. Why the hell don't the forts block when occupied?

are you asking why a fort doesn't restrict movement once its fallen?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Sharzak posted:

are you asking why a fort doesn't restrict movement once its fallen?

I think he's asking why occupied forts don't exert a zone of control for the occupier.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

YouTuber posted:

Provinces that don't contain forts don't count very much for warscore anyway; the main purpose of keeping them occupied is to increase your opponents' war exhaustion and increase your own local trade power.

Definitely agreed that it's annoying, though. Might be nice if occupied forts automatically occupied surrounding provinces, in the same way that non-occupied forts de-occupy their own surroundings.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Are you using local or cloud saves? I've only ever had that happen using cloud saves. No issue with local so far.

Cloud...that might be it. Thanks.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Never thought I'd see DDRjake play as france, but he is actually having a go at the Big Blue Blob and Better than Napoleon achievements.

I'm going to assume it will end in coalitions and rebels after the remarkably easy Ceylon Buddhist Strike Back campaign he just finished.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MrBling posted:

Never thought I'd see DDRjake play as france, but he is actually having a go at the Big Blue Blob and Better than Napoleon achievements.

I'm going to assume it will end in coalitions and rebels after the remarkably easy Ceylon Buddhist Strike Back campaign he just finished.

I just did this, in two separate games. Doing them both in the same game would be hard, for me, since I had to go nearly bankrupt at the end to afford my mercenaries during BBB. That should be an achievement in itself - getting BBB and Better Than Napoleon in the same game.

I've been playing a bunch of weak nations and crawling my way up the ladder, and playing as France was so much fun. I almost always had level 3 advisers, I was the dominant trade power in all three end nodes, collecting from each, my armies were Prussian-like, I had Offensive-Defensive-Quality-Quantity, I had half of North America in CNs. I completely absorbed the HRE, but before that I could get enough AE that 20 countries could form a coalition against me, but they never wanted to fight the France-Spain-Poland superbro alliance so they never actually did.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Lori posted:

So, what is the 'go to' strategy for Venice? Given the trade node flow, I'm sort of picturing smashing the poo poo out of the Mamluks so you can push India/Asia trade up through Egypt?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Node posted:

I just did this, in two separate games. Doing them both in the same game would be hard, for me, since I had to go nearly bankrupt at the end to afford my mercenaries during BBB. That should be an achievement in itself - getting BBB and Better Than Napoleon in the same game.
Big Blue Napoleon?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

So, what is the 'go to' strategy for Venice? Given the trade node flow, I'm sort of picturing smashing the poo poo out of the Mamluks so you can push India/Asia trade up through Egypt?

You can downsize enough to join the HRE if you want but I don't see much point now that Italy leaves in 1490. They're a pretty strong and straightforward start.

Mamluks would be the best plan, yeah. Your best route is Antioch -> Alexandria -> Venice, you want to avoid trying to funnel much trade through Ragusa since a bunch of HRE nations will have merchants steering inland from Ragusa -> Wien. Even once you dominate the Ragusa node and have a bunch of ships patrolling there plus your crazy strong trade-focused ideas, Ragusa is going to be pretty leaky.

I would go after the Mamluks at first good opportunity, get a coastline on the Red Sea and expand (maybe go Exploration and colonize) into the Indian Ocean area, funnel that home.

I'm pretty sure Mamluk land is going to be distant overseas and you can pull the Ottoblob trick of coring a bunch of Africa and Asia on the cheap by making use of that.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Baron Porkface posted:

Either grab enough of the area to collect there, or colonize Cape, collect there, and reroute trade to where is it, Zanzibar? Seizing centers of trade and protectorating nations along the way will really help, too. It's not hard to conquer eastern Africa, so you can collect a huge amount in Cape with a little work.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
My games are really turning out in ways I've never seen before. This have to be the most expansive reformation yet for me. Even France and Austria turned.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Star posted:

My games are really turning out in ways I've never seen before. This have to be the most expansive reformation yet for me. Even France and Austria turned.

And yet England, Sweden, and Norway are still Catholic. Usually they're the first to go.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Star posted:

Especially with the latest expansions I pretty much go Protestant 100% of the time regardless of who I am. I like being able to customize my Church bonuses.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fintilgin posted:

Earlier in this thread someone posted a Venice -> Byzantium game that was really hilariously OP. In a nutshell the guy started as Venice, conquered the Greek Balkans, culture shifted to Greek, and formed Byzantium. You stay as a merchant Republic but get boosted to Empire government rank, get claims on all of Anatolia, keep all of the permanent modifiers Venice gets from events, and start getting all kinds of Byzantium bonuses. Also if you let the Ottos take Constantinople first you can have them increase its development (by a LOT) and then you can take it, reclaim Anatolia, and take the decision to restore the Theme System adding EVEN MORE development to Constantinople. Just those two decisions alone can potentially increase the value of the province to be the highest in the world

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

And yet England, Sweden, and Norway are still Catholic. Usually they're the first to go.

England doesn't exist anymore except as a small island in the Indian sea. It's all me, glorious catholic Ireland. Felt weird to turn Protestant even though I like the bonuses since Ireland seems geared toward Catholicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The go to for Venice is absolutely Venice -> byz. Be sure to stay Catholic until you get the Venetian first, Christians second event and Statute of Appeals decision. They stay on for the entire game even after you convert orthodox

• Locked thread