Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OhYeah posted:

I understand the concept of positive discrimination, but it's discrimination nonetheless, right? By the way, I've heard a couple of businessmen say that it's pretty much pointless to do business in Nordic countries, because their prejudices against anyone from Eastern Europe are so strong that any meaningful partnership is out of the question. If you are from EE, you are a dirty vodka-soaked thief. How's that for racism, by friends.

More like how's that for idiocy. Sweden does significantly more trade with Estonia than the other Baltic nations (Despite Latvia being both larger and almost as rich as you) and that's partially because of our historical bond. If you think we distrust you, look at how the nations we actually distrust (Like Romania and Bulgaria) are doing, you're not getting a though deal.

http://www.scb.se/en_/Finding-stati...ng/7230/142265/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kajeesus posted:

So a xenophone ensures their own survival by keeping a nebulous unknown at bay, while a racist forces his will on a group of people they consider dangerous to their continued existence? I'm sorry, the distinction really isn't clear to me.

Is it the active component that makes it racism? Is it the targeting of a specific group, rather than anyone who's different?

The actual difference, lost to OhYeah, is that xenophobia is the fear and hatred of foreigners, and racism is the fear and hatred of other races.

What OhYeah is talking about is actually called tribalism.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 25, 2015

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

http://www.nrk.no/verden/asylsokere-mott-med-ku-klux-klan-drakt-og-steiner-i-finland-1.12571758

help! is this xenophobia, tribalism or raceism?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

That guy is KKK Finland. All of it. Still asylum seekers are better off staying in Sweden because he's pissed

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Grimson posted:

That's just a healthy bit of xenophobia.

:golfclap:

Kajeesus posted:

So a xenophone ensures their own survival by keeping a nebulous unknown at bay, while a racist forces his will on a group of people they consider dangerous to their continued existence? I'm sorry, the distinction really isn't clear to me.

Is it the active component that makes it racism? Is it the targeting of a specific group, rather than anyone who's different?

Why is that distinction hard to grasp for you?

Scherloch posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there's more than one definition of xenophobia (though the wording might vary between sources). Racism does have multiple definitions, usually depending on context. In this instance, I guess cultural racism would be the most applicable, as it also covers religion. And your definitions aren't good enough because you've pulled them out of your rear end in a desperate attempt at avoiding being labeled a racist.

Do enlighten me, what part of my definition is in discord with the multiple definitions of racism that you admitted exist?

quote:

The thing is, there's a pretty big overlap between xenophobia and racism. When your xenophobia is directed at Muslims, based on the idea that they unable to fit into our socities, you're well within that area of overlap, and I am thus justified in calling you a racist (you can pretend that I wrote "cultural" in front if it makes you feel better).

I'm just concerned. About things like honour killings, female genital mutilation, sharia patrols, increasing radicalization among the male youth of muslims around the world, rampant anti-semitisim in immigrant communities, their views on gender equality and gay rights and so on. If that makes me a (cultural) racist, then so be it.

quote:

And tough poo poo if it's to simple for you, that's not really my problem. I hate to break it to you, but your opinions on the definitions of xenophobia and racism mean jack-loving-poo poo. I'm operating within accepted definitions, while you're making poo poo up because you're afraid of admitting to youself that you're a racist. So afraid, in fact, that you're willingly accepting being called a xenophobe (hint: being a xenophobe isn't really any better, but I guess it helps that the word doesn't come with as much stigma attached).

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200305/why-we-fear-the-unknown
https://philosophynow.org/issues/80/On_Xenophobia
http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2011/10/10/on-the-genius-of-infants-are-we-really-born-racist/

And so on. You are incapable of talking in a neutral tone and without getting worked up about issues of race and inter-cultural relations, because you have been raised in an environment where there has been no neutral discussion. You have been conditioned to accept certain paradigms as absolute and everything that contradicts or challenges that system of belief is automatically labelled racist. I've thrown Mona Sahlin's quotes around here a few times, in the hopes that someone would comment them in any capacity. You haven't, from which I deduce that you either conform to this ideology or are deeply embarrased about it.

quote:

edit: Also, lol at arguing "you can't be racist against a religion". And making racism out to be super-duper bad (I mean, it is, but still), while defending xenophobia with a literal loving appeal to tradition. I guess since Jews used to be barred by law from entering Norway, it's totally reasonable for me to not want Jews here.

Don't talk about Jews while living in one of the most anti-semitic countries in Europe. Here's what I suggest: start by reading the links that I posted. There is a lot of information available if you have access to library networks like JSTOR.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

OhYeah posted:

Why is that distinction hard to grasp for you?

A xenophobe acts against outside forces to ensure their own survival. A racist acts against people who are different in some way because they perceive them to be a threat to their existence.

The only distinction I can read into that is that a xenophobe is a racist who happens to be right.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Double Bill posted:

That guy is KKK Finland. All of it. Still asylum seekers are better off staying in Sweden because he's pissed

the hero finland deserves?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kajeesus posted:

A xenophobe acts against outside forces to ensure their own survival. A racist acts against people who are different in some way because they perceive them to be a threat to their existence.

The only distinction I can read into that is that a xenophobe is a racist who happens to be right.

In theory, a racist would act against ethnic minorities that already exist in the country, while a Xenophobe wouldn't.

In practice, you don't get to see much of a difference in Whitetopia Europe and most of the "xenophobes" would probably act just as lovely to existing minorities. For an example of the latter (especially in Finland) you can look at the Sami.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

More like how's that for idiocy. Sweden does significantly more trade with Estonia than the other Baltic nations (Despite Latvia being both larger and almost as rich as you) and that's partially because of our historical bond. If you think we distrust you, look at how the nations we actually distrust (Like Romania and Bulgaria) are doing, you're not getting a though deal.

http://www.scb.se/en_/Finding-stati...ng/7230/142265/
On the other hand, Sweden owns significant chunks of telecommuncations and banking industries of Latvia, and a hefty chunk of big companies all over the board, so I am not sure what else they would really want to trade with us for. Amber? Barbed wire? Wakeboards?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Kajeesus posted:

That's an interesting viewpoint, but not one that I would share. Think of it this way, xenophobia is a low-level reaction and racism is a high-level reaction. Racism seeks to dominate others on the basis of ideological beliefs. You can't really control being xenophobic as it is rooted deeply in our nature as human beings.

Very good documentary about the experience of integrating second generation immigrants in Germany, or rather the failure of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWAIKoatWM
I'm sure there are overlapping points with Sweden.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

OhYeah posted:

Very good documentary about the experience of integrating second generation immigrants in Germany, or rather the failure of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWAIKoatWM

I actually watched this and I'm surprised how reasonable it was (considering the poster) - aside from the usual problem with this type of documentary, that it makes the problem seem bigger than it is, because it's (of course) focused on the 'problem', which is completely normal. It's the same for documentaries which focuses on happy-slapping or whatever.

I'm not surprised that people who only have a tenuous grasp of the actual situation and problems with immigration (like OhYeah) would come away from it thinking it's a huge problem, when in reality the documentary is focused on a small minority (a small minority of the immigrant population, that is).

I know this is probably over your head, but I'm going to say it anyway, you can find the exact same sentiments (mis-trust of the police, parallel society, the opression of women, systemic violence, etc.) among neo-nazis, and all kinds of other extremist social groups. You can even find plenty of it among normal non-nazi white dudes at the 'bottom' of society (in the sociological sense, not the normative). This perfectly normal and have been the case for ages. What has changed is that recently (20 years or so) is that the 'bottom' of society has increasinly had a brown skin-color (and muslim beliefs), which is why it's garnering so much attention. This documentary doesn't look at (which again, is natural considering it's subject-matter) the 99% of muslims in germany, who are not extermist or even at risk of radicalization, speak german, go to work, get an education, are never involved in crimes etc.

That's it for my effort post. I know you're too buried in your 'europe is falling to the muslim hordes'-narrative, to accept this, but I felt like trying. GOOD DAY SIR!

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

OhYeah posted:

Do enlighten me, what part of my definition is in discord with the multiple definitions of racism that you admitted exist?
You've defined racism as something that "starts wars", "causes people to burn down refugee centers" and "forcing your will upon a group of people who you consider inferior or outright dangerous to your continued existence in some regard", and at one point I'm pretty sure you claimed (or at least insinuated) that there has to be an element of violence to it for it to be called racism. These are certainly things that some racists do, but they in no way define racists. As a former racist, I did none of the above (apart from considering the other "races" inferior), so by your logic I wasn't actually a racist. Unlike you, though, I have no problem admitting to it.

OhYeah posted:

I'm just concerned. About things like honour killings, female genital mutilation, sharia patrols, increasing radicalization among the male youth of muslims around the world, rampant anti-semitisim in immigrant communities, their views on gender equality and gay rights and so on. If that makes me a (cultural) racist, then so be it.
Having reasonable concerns is well and good, but most of yours seem unreasonable, if not downright irrational. Honor killings, while bad, are not common, and certainly not to the extent that it should be used against Muslims in general. Same goes for "Sharia-patrols" (seriously, are there anywhere in the western world where these are common enough, or even a regular enough occurrence, that they should be considered a real problem?). FGM has very little to do with Islam (and we're focusing on Muslim immigrants now, yeah?), and as such doesn't belong. It's literally only used by ignorant racist shitheels, and by that I mean ignorant racist shitheels (ignorant racist shitheels). I am also concerned about the increased radicalization, but I don't think not helping or not accepting refugees will help in solving that.

Antisemitism, views on gender equality and gay rights varies greatly among Muslims, though they are generally more conservative than the average European on these issues. However, so are a bunch of Europeans, so if we can live with Christian conservatives, surely we can live with a few Muslim conservatives as well? In all seriousness, though, Muslims here in Norway, at least, are adapting, with younger generations generally being more liberal and tolerant. People who continually focus on (and greatly exaggerate) the problem of conservative views among Muslims are, however, contributing to the increasing anti-Islamic attitudes and the growing islamophobia seen among the native populations (and the spread of the same misconceptions that you so helpfully listed).

OhYeah posted:

You are incapable of talking in a neutral tone and without getting worked up about issues of race and inter-cultural relations, because you have been raised in an environment where there has been no neutral discussion. You have been conditioned to accept certain paradigms as absolute and everything that contradicts or challenges that system of belief is automatically labelled racist. I've thrown Mona Sahlin's quotes around here a few times, in the hopes that someone would comment them in any capacity. You haven't, from which I deduce that you either conform to this ideology or are deeply embarrased about it.
You couldn't be further off the mark, but whatever you say, I guess...

As for your Sahlin-quotes, I just scrolled on without reading because they were taken out of context, and because none of them were directed at me (and also, I really don't care, it's not my job to defend the poo poo that Sahlin says), but it's nice to see that you took it upon yourself to tell me how I feel about them.

Yes? Your links confirm that xenophobia exists (and that babies can differentiate between people with different skin colors, I guess), but unlike you, they aren't trying to convince me that it is, in fact, cool and good. They are, on the other hand, saying that it's perfectly possible to confront one's own lovely attitudes, and even change them. You're not condemned to being a xenophobe or a racist forever (I should know, having been one).

The deal with xenophobia (that you seem to be ignoring) is that it's an "unreasonable or irrational fear of strangers/the unfamiliar". So while it's perfectly natural for people to be skeptical of newcomers/outsiders, it is not okay to then go ahead and base legislation on that unreasonable and irrational fear (it would, in fact, be flat-out retarded). Instead, I think we should focus on educating people, and helping them realize that their fears are unreasonable, irrational and unfounded.

OhYeah posted:

Don't talk about Jews while living in one of the most anti-semitic countries in Europe.
Since Norway is super antisemitic, then going by your logic there's nothing wrong with me being a raging antisemite, because that's just how it is here in Norway. (there are literally less than a thousand Jews in Norway, which I guess is part of the reason for why we've been so lovely at addressing the problem. The fact that Norway has been highly critical of Israel, while at the same time showing support for the Palestinians has probably played a part in painting Norway as a country of Jew-haters in the eyes of many, as well).

Also, don't talk about immigrants while living in one of the most racist (or xenophobic if you want) parts of Europe. Hell, let's make a deal: I'll stop talking about Jews, and you stop talking about immigrants (and gently caress off out of this thread, as that is all you do).

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 26, 2015

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I actually watched this and I'm surprised how reasonable it was (considering the poster) - aside from the usual problem with this type of documentary, that it makes the problem seem bigger than it is, because it's (of course) focused on the 'problem', which is completely normal. It's the same for documentaries which focuses on happy-slapping or whatever.

I'm not surprised that people who only have a tenuous grasp of the actual situation and problems with immigration (like OhYeah) would come away from it thinking it's a huge problem, when in reality the documentary is focused on a small minority (a small minority of the immigrant population, that is).

But this is not even remotely true, is it? It is not a problem of the minority of immigrant communities.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/immigration-survey-shows-alarming-lack-of-integration-in-germany-a-603588.html
http://www.goethe.de/lhr/prj/daz/mag/igd/en3146846.htm

Please continue reading my post, I will address most of the points to my reply to Scherloch.

Scherloch posted:

You've defined racism as something that "starts wars", "causes people to burn down refugee centers" and "forcing your will upon a group of people who you consider inferior or outright dangerous to your continued existence in some regard", and at one point I'm pretty sure you claimed (or at least insinuated) that there has to be an element of violence to it for it to be called racism. These are certainly things that some racists do, but they in no way define racists. As a former racist, I did none of the above (apart from considering the other "races" inferior), so by your logic I wasn't actually a racist. Unlike you, though, I have no problem admitting to it.

If you consider yourself an former racist, doesn't that make you oversensitive discussing this subject? I don't know how I could have a neutral discussion about the virtues of red wine with an former alcoholic...

But in any case, you called me a racist and I take offense for that. It is true that I'm extremely critical of the mass immigration policies of the last 3-4 decades that countries like Sweden, UK or Germany have had, but I've never considered my race to be superior or more entitled than anyone else. I don't exhibit any traits of cultural racism as well, I was raised in a Christian family but I have no problems with people from other religions. In fact, for the longest time here I wanted to ask you guys, how "diverse" are you in your real lives? Because despite living in a Eastern European shithole, I've worked with foreigners for 12 years. I've studied Japanese culture and language and have friends among the few Japanese who live here. Despite my critical stance on radical Islam, one of my good friends comes from the Middle-East and I actually travelled thousand of miles to another country to visit him and see how amazingly well entire communities from the Middle-East have adapted to life in one of Europe's capital. Next week I'm meeting someone I've already briefly met in the summer to discuss investment options in my country and the guy comes from North-Africa.

So what have I actually said - besides being very critical of current European mass-immigration policies and their outcomes - that makes you guys think that I'm sitting around the bonfire every night with my neonazi friends?

quote:

Having reasonable concerns is well and good, but most of yours seem unreasonable, if not downright irrational. Honor killings, while bad, are not common, and certainly not to the extent that it should be used against Muslims in general. Same goes for "Sharia-patrols" (seriously, are there anywhere in the western world where these are common enough, or even a regular enough occurrence, that they should be considered a real problem?). FGM has very little to do with Islam (and we're focusing on Muslim immigrants now, yeah?), and as such doesn't belong. It's literally only used by ignorant racist shitheels, and by that I mean ignorant racist shitheels (ignorant racist shitheels). I am also concerned about the increased radicalization, but I don't think not helping or not accepting refugees will help in solving that.

I'm not against helping refugees. The problem is that according to various sources, a large part of the current wave of people are from other countries. People that just see an opportunity to finally migrate to Europe, hassle-free, and we have less resources for people who actually need it. In any case, the majority of the weight is carried by countries such as Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan and we should be giving billions to them instead taking in hundreds of thousands of people with fake passports, 95% of whom claim to be from Syria while they are obviously not.

https://news.yahoo.com/finlands-no-good-disappointed-migrants-turn-back-152042061.html

"You can tell the world I hate Finland. It's too cold, there's no tea, no restaurants, no bars, nobody on the streets, only cars," 22-year-old Muhammed told AFP in Tornio, as the mercury struggled to inch above 10 degrees Celsius (50 Fahrenheit) on a recent blustery grey day.

This seems like a perfectly valid reaction from a person who comes from a wartorn country... worrying about the lack of bars and not being happy for having a roof on their heads for free and not being in danger of being blown up by rockets.

quote:

Antisemitism, views on gender equality and gay rights varies greatly among Muslims, though they are generally more conservative than the average European on these issues. However, so are a bunch of Europeans, so if we can live with Christian conservatives, surely we can live with a few Muslim conservatives as well? In all seriousness, though, Muslims here in Norway, at least, are adapting, with younger generations generally being more liberal and tolerant. People who continually focus on (and greatly exaggerate) the problem of conservative views among Muslims are, however, contributing to the increasing anti-Islamic attitudes and the growing islamophobia seen among the native populations (and the spread of the same misconceptions that you so helpfully listed).

Again, this is our problem to solve as Europeans. To root out these pockets of hate from our communities. But what have we done instead? We have brought in millions of people with their own problems and now in addition to our own issues we have to deal with them too. The deranged hatred of Turks and Kurds shouldn't end up with bloody clashes in the centre of loving Stockholm! What the gently caress does Sweden have to do with that? What is the the capacity for Europe to solve others' problems? Life has gone downhill because we have fooled ourselves into thinking that we are so powerful that we can make the world a better place.

quote:

Yes? Your links confirm that xenophobia exists (and that babies can differentiate between people with different skin colors, I guess), but unlike you, they aren't trying to convince me that it is, in fact, cool and good. They are, on the other hand, saying that it's perfectly possible to confront one's own lovely attitudes, and even change them. You're not condemned to being a xenophobe or a racist forever (I should know, having been one).

Where I have said that xenophobia is cool and good? I've said it's a well-known and easily explainable reaction of humans and it is hard to overcome with policy decisions.

quote:

Also, don't talk about immigrants while living in one of the most racist (or xenophobic if you want) parts of Europe. Hell, let's make a deal: I'll stop talking about Jews, and you stop talking about immigrants (and gently caress off out of this thread, as that is all you do).

:saddowns:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What is your specific objection to that Mona Sahlin quote? Do you think the job should automatically go to the applicant named Sven, instead? Should it be settled by coin toss? It seems perfectly reasonable to me, even taken out of context.

OhYeah posted:

That's an interesting viewpoint, but not one that I would share. Think of it this way, xenophobia is a low-level reaction and racism is a high-level reaction. Racism seeks to dominate others on the basis of ideological beliefs.

So it's a question of degree, then? I can accept that as an actual distinction.

OhYeah posted:

You can't really control being xenophobic as it is rooted deeply in our nature as human beings.

Do you believe every single person who posts in this thread is a xenophobe who is inherently distrustful of Muslims, but in denial about it? Otherwise, how can you claim it's a fundamental aspect of human nature?

OhYeah posted:

Do you think this is universally applicable to every second generation immigrant? If not, how large of a fraction of the immigrant population would you say it applies to?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

You should read your links again, they don't say what you think they're saying.

Regardless, I'm giving up with this post, you're clearly very dedicated to missing the point of the problems with immigration. If it helps, your trouble with understanding the core issues, comes from you being completely focused on immigration being the problem itself, rather than what the problems with poor integration are (as well as the causes of it).

In addition, you seem to vastly overestimate the scope of the problems, which I guess is probably not unreasonable given the way the media covers it, but educate yourself man.

Start by finding out how many immigrants are in germany, then find out how big a percentage are muslims (I can help you here and say it's about 4 million), then find out how big a percentage of those are radical muslims (it's not that hard to find, unless you're deliberately looking for racist propaganda), then look at how my right-wing extremist there are. Then discover, that while it certainly is a serious issue, you're blowing it way out of proportion, in line with most of the media coverage of it.

Hopefully, you have by now discovered that the vast majority of mulims in germany are just regular people, who want regular things from life. This is despite the fact that their religion is regularly called a cancer on society, them being systematically marginalized, and them being specifically targeted and depicted as 'problems' or 'terrosts' by media and politicians on a daily basis (which, I hope you can see, naturally makes it alot easier for radicals/extremist to recruit young people to their way of thinking).

OhYeah posted:

Despite my critical stance on radical Islam, one of my good friends comes from the Middle-East and I actually travelled thousand of miles to another country to visit him and see how amazingly well entire communities from the Middle-East have adapted to life in one of Europe's capital. Next week I'm meeting someone I've already briefly met in the summer to discuss investment options in my country and the guy comes from North-Africa.

It's good that one of your best friends is black middle-eastern, but it's clear from your posting that your problem is not with radical islam, your problem is that you can't tell radical islam from normal islam from poor-integration from normal social issues (and as mentioned above, you completely overestimate the scope of the problem).

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

OhYeah posted:

If you consider yourself an former racist, doesn't that make you oversensitive discussing this subject? I don't know how I could have a neutral discussion about the virtues of red wine with an former alcoholic...

But in any case, you called me a racist and I take offense for that. It is true that I'm extremely critical of the mass immigration policies of the last 3-4 decades that countries like Sweden, UK or Germany have had, but I've never considered my race to be superior or more entitled than anyone else. I don't exhibit any traits of cultural racism as well, I was raised in a Christian family but I have no problems with people from other religions. In fact, for the longest time here I wanted to ask you guys, how "diverse" are you in your real lives? Because despite living in a Eastern European shithole, I've worked with foreigners for 12 years. I've studied Japanese culture and language and have friends among the few Japanese who live here. Despite my critical stance on radical Islam, one of my good friends comes from the Middle-East and I actually travelled thousand of miles to another country to visit him and see how amazingly well entire communities from the Middle-East have adapted to life in one of Europe's capital. Next week I'm meeting someone I've already briefly met in the summer to discuss investment options in my country and the guy comes from North-Africa.

So what have I actually said - besides being very critical of current European mass-immigration policies and their outcomes - that makes you guys think that I'm sitting around the bonfire every night with my neonazi friends?
I was an immature shitheel who in reality knew nothing about the people I deemed inferior. As got older I slowly realized how retarded my views were, and how much more scared I was of a world filled with hate, and how little I wanted to contribute to that. However, I can still sympathize with people who might be skeptical towards immigrants, but that ends the moment it becomes clear to me that they're being willfully ignorant.

As for what you've said that would make people think you're a racist... I'd say perpetuating myths about FGM and Sharia-patrols rank pretty high. As does linking articles like the one about the immigrants who displaced the Estonian workers that was obviously playing fast and loose with the truth, using a lot of far-right arguments in your reasoning. Add to that your tendency to blow the problem way out of proportion.

quote:

I'm not against helping refugees. The problem is that according to various sources, a large part of the current wave of people are from other countries. People that just see an opportunity to finally migrate to Europe, hassle-free, and we have less resources for people who actually need it. In any case, the majority of the weight is carried by countries such as Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan and we should be giving billions to them instead taking in hundreds of thousands of people with fake passports, 95% of whom claim to be from Syria while they are obviously not.

https://news.yahoo.com/finlands-no-good-disappointed-migrants-turn-back-152042061.html

"You can tell the world I hate Finland. It's too cold, there's no tea, no restaurants, no bars, nobody on the streets, only cars," 22-year-old Muhammed told AFP in Tornio, as the mercury struggled to inch above 10 degrees Celsius (50 Fahrenheit) on a recent blustery grey day.

This seems like a perfectly valid reaction from a person who comes from a wartorn country... worrying about the lack of bars and not being happy for having a roof on their heads for free and not being in danger of being blown up by rockets.
Yes, it's true that a lot of the immigrants are not, in fact, Syrian. That doesn't mean that they are claiming to be out of malice, or that they are maliciously taking advantage of the situation to further their own interests. The biggest group is still Syrians, followed by Afghanis (wartorn shithole) and Eritreans (widely considered to be a shithole, constantly at the brink of war, lacks a constitution and a proper judicial system, indefinite military service). Syrians, Afghans and Eritreans make up about 75% of the refugees coming into Europe, and all have good reasons to do so. Same goes for the Iraqis, Somalians, Nigerians, Pakistanis and so on. All these countries are plagued by insurgencies and unrest, and it's perfectly understandable that people would want to leave to try and seek out a better life in Europe. Those falsely claiming to be Syrian are most likely doing so thinking it will increase their chances of being granted asylum, not knowing that being upfront about their actual origin will probably yield the same result.

I can totally understand complaining about being placed in some lovely old apartment in the middle of nowhere without heating, a working kitchen and neither hot nor drinkable water. I mean, I don't really find that unreasonable at all, but maybe I'm just spoiled.

quote:

Again, this is our problem to solve as Europeans. To root out these pockets of hate from our communities. But what have we done instead? We have brought in millions of people with their own problems and now in addition to our own issues we have to deal with them too. The deranged hatred of Turks and Kurds shouldn't end up with bloody clashes in the centre of loving Stockholm! What the gently caress does Sweden have to do with that? What is the the capacity for Europe to solve others' problems? Life has gone downhill because we have fooled ourselves into thinking that we are so powerful that we can make the world a better place.
Our tacit approval of (and in some cases, our involvement in) the actions of our allies in that area means this crisis is also our problem. Norway flew sorties over Libya, and had boots on the ground in Afghanistan (Estonia had boots on the ground in both Afghanistan and Iraq, so whether you like or not, your country has contributed to the destabilizing of the region). You reap what you sow and all that.

quote:

Where I have said that xenophobia is cool and good? I've said it's a well-known and easily explainable reaction of humans and it is hard to overcome with policy decisions.
You've certainly gone to great lengths to defend it, and seemingly deny it being problem.

quote:

:saddowns:
So it's a nix on the deal, then?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Scherloch posted:

Yes, it's true that a lot of the immigrants are not, in fact, Syrian. That doesn't mean that they are claiming to be out of malice, or that they are maliciously taking advantage of the situation to further their own interests. The biggest group is still Syrians, followed by Afghanis (wartorn shithole) and Eritreans (widely considered to be a shithole, constantly at the brink of war, lacks a constitution and a proper judicial system, indefinite military service). Syrians, Afghans and Eritreans make up about 75% of the refugees coming into Europe, and all have good reasons to do so. Same goes for the Iraqis, Somalians, Nigerians, Pakistanis and so on. All these countries are plagued by insurgencies and unrest, and it's perfectly understandable that people would want to leave to try and seek out a better life in Europe. Those falsely claiming to be Syrian are most likely doing so thinking it will increase their chances of being granted asylum, not knowing that being upfront about their actual origin will probably yield the same result.

Where are the Congolese refugees btw?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Regardless, I'm giving up with this post, you're clearly very dedicated to missing the point of the problems with immigration. If it helps, your trouble with understanding the core issues, comes from you being completely focused on immigration being the problem itself, rather than what the problems with poor integration are (as well as the causes of it).

Okay, I'll bite. What are, in your view, the core problems with immigration?

quote:

Hopefully, you have by now discovered that the vast majority of mulims in germany are just regular people, who want regular things from life. This is despite the fact that their religion is regularly called a cancer on society, them being systematically marginalized, and them being specifically targeted and depicted as 'problems' or 'terrosts' by media and politicians on a daily basis (which, I hope you can see, naturally makes it alot easier for radicals/extremist to recruit young people to their way of thinking).

Whereas you are saying that I'm blowing things out of proportion, I think you are in denial about the scope of the problems that mass immigration have brought to Europe.

quote:

It's good that one of your best friends is black middle-eastern, but it's clear from your posting that your problem is not with radical islam, your problem is that you can't tell radical islam from normal islam from poor-integration from normal social issues (and as mentioned above, you completely overestimate the scope of the problem).

I don't appreciate your attempt at taking the piss, as I have yet to receive a response to my question. How ethnically and culturally diverse are your circle of friends and acquaintances? I can only let you preach me on this subject if I'm sure that you are more advanced in me in this regard. :)

I'm perfectly aware of the fact that a large majority of muslims are peaceful people who get on fine with others. The problem is that the marginal minority of extremely conservative or radicalized muslims still represents a significant number of people.

Scherloch posted:

As for what you've said that would make people think you're a racist... I'd say perpetuating myths about FGM and Sharia-patrols rank pretty high.

What "myths"? These are things that are taking place in countries around Europe as we speak. I'm not saying that they are widespread problems (yet), but unlike you I can think 10-20 years into the future. You dismiss every bit of evidence of serious issues with the excuse that it's just a isolated case.

quote:

Yes, it's true that a lot of the immigrants are not, in fact, Syrian. That doesn't mean that they are claiming to be out of malice, or that they are maliciously taking advantage of the situation to further their own interests.

What? Are they claiming to be someone else by mistake?

quote:

I can totally understand complaining about being placed in some lovely old apartment in the middle of nowhere without heating, a working kitchen and neither hot nor drinkable water. I mean, I don't really find that unreasonable at all, but maybe I'm just spoiled.

What group of refugees has ever been placed into an apartment complex where there is no heating and no drinkable water?

quote:

Our tacit approval of (and in some cases, our involvement in) the actions of our allies in that area means this crisis is also our problem. Norway flew sorties over Libya, and had boots on the ground in Afghanistan (Estonia had boots on the ground in both Afghanistan and Iraq, so whether you like or not, your country has contributed to the destabilizing of the region). You reap what you sow and all that.

By that logic Sweden should pay damages for what its banks did to Estonian economy in the last financial crisis in 2008-2009.

quote:

You've certainly gone to great lengths to defend it, and seemingly deny it being problem.

It's beyond my ability to defend, affect or alter in any way. To deny its existence and significance is utter folly. I'm merely a realist in saying that you cannot change human nature quickly, especially under stressful conditions.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

OhYeah posted:

What "myths"? These are things that are taking place in countries around Europe as we speak. I'm not saying that they are widespread problems (yet), but unlike you I can think 10-20 years into the future. You dismiss every bit of evidence of serious issues with the excuse that it's just a isolated case.
There's nothing to suggest that they will be serious problems 10-20 years into the future. Please provide some proof (from a credible source) that backs up your claims. You throw around definitive statements like that without it.

quote:

What? Are they claiming to be someone else by mistake?
loving hell, you absolute loving retard. Did you just ignore everything I wrote? I said they are probably not doing it maliciously, as in, they are not doing it because their evil liars only looking to get a piece of that sweet welfare money, but rather because they think it'll increase their chances of being granted asylum, despite being just as likely as Syrians to get it even if they were upfront about their actual country of origin. Desperation can be a powerful motivator.

quote:

What group of refugees has ever been placed into an apartment complex where there is no heating and no drinkable water?
The by now infamous group of refugees in Sweden who complained about having to walk for 30 minutes to get to the shops. Turns out that was one of the more minor complaints, and that the accommodations actually were kind of lovely.

quote:

By that logic Sweden should pay damages for what its banks did to Estonian economy in the last financial crisis in 2008-2009.
If the Swedish government is in any way responsible, then it's only fair that they pay, I agree.

quote:

It's beyond my ability to defend, affect or alter in any way. To deny its existence and significance is utter folly. I'm merely a realist in saying that you cannot change human nature quickly, especially under stressful conditions.
And yet, you go out of your way to defend it.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Are European countries obliged to provide for economical asylum seekers?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Mordekai posted:

Are European countries obliged to provide for economical asylum seekers?

If you're talking about people applying for asylum on economic grounds then no, in Europe you cannot gain asylum on economic grounds.

If you're using horribly inaccurate language to imply that there is a significant portion of people that apply for asylum under false pretenses for some kind of economic gain then no, that's not really the case, but anyone who does are to be denied asylum and rightly so.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'd argue that both the Rumanian beggars and Moroccan teenagers have proven abundantly that we need to revise that part.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Scherloch posted:

There's nothing to suggest that they will be serious problems 10-20 years into the future. Please provide some proof (from a credible source) that backs up your claims. You throw around definitive statements like that without it.

Jumping into this convo, I remember from my sociology class that there's the second generation issue, but it's fairly minor (children of immigrant families occasionally have integration issues due to the contrast between life at home and life in society in general). More than 20 years in the future, these issues are gone and the third generation will integrate fully. But this isn't a disaster of any sort, it's just something to take into account, mostly in the education sector.

Scherloch posted:

The by now infamous group of refugees in Sweden who complained about having to walk for 30 minutes to get to the shops. Turns out that was one of the more minor complaints, and that the accommodations actually were kind of lovely.

Having now worked for three weeks in finnish provisional refugee housing centers, I can say that the accommodations even at the "good" centers are lovely.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Biomute posted:

If you're talking about people applying for asylum on economic grounds then no, in Europe you cannot gain asylum on economic grounds.

If you're using horribly inaccurate language to imply that there is a significant portion of people that apply for asylum under false pretenses for some kind of economic gain then no, that's not really the case, but anyone who does are to be denied asylum and rightly so.

Someone fleeing a non functional war torn society is in fact looking for "economic gain" as economic activity is a part of life and cannot be separated from it. To deny economic migration but allow it for those fearing for their life is hypocritical and allows the pseudonazis to ask: "why not put the refugees into camps where they will be safe". What is your answer to that question? Should we not allow all humans the opportunity to live where they want and participate fully in society? Why does it matter what country they are from or what their reasons for leaving are?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's some kind of bizarre variation of the welfare queen myth, where a True Refugee has to live in a tent camp somewhere on a subsistence level and dress in rags or otherwise it doesn't count. You can see this kind of thinking all the time when a refugee has the temerity to own slightly nicer clothes or a smartphone.

At the end of the day it all comes back to the need of certain people to invent reasons for why somebody fleeing a goddamn civil war is a bad person that it's OK to hate.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Scherloch posted:

If the current demographic trends continue, Swedes will be an ethnic minority in their own country around 2035-2040. Now take a few moments to read this: http://www.atheoryofus.net/islam-statistics

And tell me that there is nothing to worry about.

quote:

loving hell, you absolute loving retard. Did you just ignore everything I wrote? I said they are probably not doing it maliciously, as in, they are not doing it because their evil liars only looking to get a piece of that sweet welfare money, but rather because they think it'll increase their chances of being granted asylum, despite being just as likely as Syrians to get it even if they were upfront about their actual country of origin. Desperation can be a powerful motivator.

You are either absurdly naive and disingenuous. You can read daily news how supposed refugees are not happy with this country or that country. A few days ago someone openly mocked Finland for being a helllhole and how even wartorn Iraq is a better place to live. These are not words and actions of desperate people.

And now think about this: if I forge some documents and try to get into another country like that, I will get detained and prosecuted for fraud.

quote:

If someone gives you shelter for free, you don't start off by loving complaining and demanding better things. Say "thanks, you have saved our asses" and then after a while you ask "how about this little detail, can we fix this, what about this". These are basic good manners, applicable to anyone regardless of their race, sex or religion.

quote:

And yet, you go out of your way to defend it.

You have misunderstood.

doverhog posted:

Someone fleeing a non functional war torn society is in fact looking for "economic gain" as economic activity is a part of life and cannot be separated from it. To deny economic migration but allow it for those fearing for their life is hypocritical and allows the pseudonazis to ask: "why not put the refugees into camps where they will be safe". What is your answer to that question? Should we not allow all humans the opportunity to live where they want and participate fully in society? Why does it matter what country they are from or what their reasons for leaving are?

Because you have made no attempt to make sure the people you accept into your society hold the same values as you. You wouldn't have rapidly rising rape figures, riots, rampant street violence, bloody clashes between different ethnic groups which have nothing to do with Sweden, and ambulance and fire service personnel pelted with stones. And you would have Swedish Democrats as your most popular party.

EDIT: If I criticize an ethnic group or a religion, I don't automatically hold everyone in that group responsible for the problems they sometimes bring with them. For example, I'm not saying we shouldn't help refugees, we should make sure we only help those that really need it and that want to integrate into our Western societies. We should do our homework better, like the Canadians do for example.

OhYeah fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 27, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OhYeah posted:

If the current demographic trends continue, Swedes will be an ethnic minority in their own country around 2035-2040. Now take a few moments to read this: http://www.atheoryofus.net/islam-statistics

You were asked for credible proof and that is pretty much the opposite of credible.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's some kind of bizarre variation of the welfare queen myth, where a True Refugee has to live in a tent camp somewhere on a subsistence level and dress in rags or otherwise it doesn't count. You can see this kind of thinking all the time when a refugee has the temerity to own slightly nicer clothes or a smartphone.

At the end of the day it all comes back to the need of certain people to invent reasons for why somebody fleeing a goddamn civil war is a bad person that it's OK to hate.

The smartphone thing is especially funny, it's like people don't realize how drat cheap smartphones are (to make) or that you can buy something that's not a 6000 SEK iphone (but sure looks like one!). Do they think Syria was some sort of mud-hut stereotype 3rd world country before the civil war? "Oh electronics, what's this :aaa:"

Now where's that FOX news "statistics" picture with "99% of poor people own a refrigerator!!!1"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

doverhog posted:

Someone fleeing a non functional war torn society is in fact looking for "economic gain" as economic activity is a part of life and cannot be separated from it. To deny economic migration but allow it for those fearing for their life is hypocritical and allows the pseudonazis to ask: "why not put the refugees into camps where they will be safe". What is your answer to that question?

Asylum is granted to persecuted people who require international protection. We might very well harbor refugees and give them economic aid during times of war without granting them asylum. It depends on the individual case, but in times of great movements of refugees like we're seeing now there's rarely an opportunity to properly process everyone who arrives. We're still obligated to give the refugees humane treatment and aid during the crisis and anything else would be unthinkable, but I don't think that not automatically giving anyone who shows up actual asylum makes you a nazi.

doverhog posted:

Should we not allow all humans the opportunity to live where they want and participate fully in society? Why does it matter what country they are from or what their reasons for leaving are?

If you believe in the concept of countries, borders, statehood and the systems enacted by the united nations to deal with this kind of thing, then no.

I realize there are a lot of anarchist, futurists and far-left people who believe these things to be evil, but I don't, even though I do consider myself left-wing. I believe these structures to be an acceptable, if imperfect way of dealing with living in a resource-constrained world and that nations are responsible for their citizens. As soon as the state of origin is capable of caring for them asylum-seekers who rightly do not qualify for asylum are to be returned to their countries unless they apply for and is granted a residence permit. Meanwhile, we provide humanitarian aid and anyone who is later found to qualify for asylum should be granted it and quickly processed as per international regulations. People who want to emigrate from one country to another for reasons that do not qualify one for asylum should go through the proper channels (and overwhelmingly do).

It's not that I believe that providing everyone in the world with freedom of movement, and a high living standard would be a bad thing. I just don't think that lawlessness is a feasible way of going about it. Each country has a responsibility to provide for their own citizens, and I'm not saying the distribution of wealth and power in this world is in any way fair, but I don't believe throwing it all out the window would be good either. Call it utilitarian ethics, realism or simple self-interest. Now, the current number of refugees arriving in say Norway is no threat, and we're obligated by international treaties and on humanitarian grounds to provide them with aid. Hell, we can and should take on many more, and giving most of them permanent residence if they should wish it (most want to go home) would be well and good, but it does not necessarily follow that citizenship, borders and the asylum process are worthless concepts.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 27, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Mandatory gay weddings for everyone!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The mighty Norseman destroys the slaves of Hvitekrist. A Metal Cartoon.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Is this supposed to be for or against folkekirken?

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

OhYeah posted:

Firstly, I said credible source. Secondly, let's take the whole "Swedes a minority in their own country" when it's actually something that looks like it might realistically happen.

quote:

You are either absurdly naive and disingenuous. You can read daily news how supposed refugees are not happy with this country or that country. A few days ago someone openly mocked Finland for being a helllhole and how even wartorn Iraq is a better place to live. These are not words and actions of desperate people.

And now think about this: if I forge some documents and try to get into another country like that, I will get detained and prosecuted for fraud.
That's incredibly precious, coming from you. But no, I'm just not ascribing malice to these people or their actions. You, on the other hand, are assuming the worst, which kind of makes you a shithead.

People who are caught lying about their origin are usually deported, as there are already systems in place to deal with it, so there's nothing to think about. Do you think we just take them at their word? How loving stupid are you?

quote:

If someone gives you shelter for free, you don't start off by loving complaining and demanding better things. Say "thanks, you have saved our asses" and then after a while you ask "how about this little detail, can we fix this, what about this". These are basic good manners, applicable to anyone regardless of their race, sex or religion.
Oh, gently caress you. Saying that you don't want to live in some lovely abandoned apartment without a usable kitchen and lacking both hot a clean water is not being ungrateful. loving hell, I get that you live in a former Soviet shithole, however that doesn't mean refugees shouldn't be able to expect the most basic of poo poo in a place they are meant to live for the foreseeable future.

quote:

You have misunderstood.
Hardly.

quote:

EDIT: If I criticize an ethnic group or a religion, I don't automatically hold everyone in that group responsible for the problems they sometimes bring with them. For example, I'm not saying we shouldn't help refugees, we should make sure we only help those that really need it and that want to integrate into our Western societies. We should do our homework better, like the Canadians do for example.
You're generalizing pretty heavily, and you sure do seem intent on holding all Muslims accountable for the actions of a few. If that is not your intent, then maybe you should work on not coming off as a massive racist, stereotyping rear end in a top hat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OhYeah posted:

The idea that refugees should be bowing and scraping because we show some basic loving humanity by giving them shelter is really disgusting.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

The idea that refugees should be bowing and scraping because we show some basic loving humanity by giving them shelter is really disgusting.

It's the absolute worst. It's in the same vein as the people complaining about refugees with mobile phones not being real refugees, or that the regufees who flee are the ones that don't need help, because they have paid the smugglers or whatever (nevermind them leaving every thing behind, like it's just something you do because you don't like the welfare-system where you are).

It's so unbelievably stupid, that the mind boggles at how willfully ignorant some people are. The cognitive dissonance in these peoples heads must be turned up to 11 all the time. It really is impressive how both elaborate and stupid the sociodicy needed to steel themselves against basic human empathy becomes.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Scherloch posted:

People who are caught lying about their origin are usually deported, as there are already systems in place to deal with it, so there's nothing to think about. Do you think we just take them at their word? How loving stupid are you?

How many people have been deported back to their country of origin this year from Sweden?

quote:

Oh, gently caress you. Saying that you don't want to live in some lovely abandoned apartment without a usable kitchen and lacking both hot a clean water is not being ungrateful. loving hell, I get that you live in a former Soviet shithole, however that doesn't mean refugees shouldn't be able to expect the most basic of poo poo in a place they are meant to live for the foreseeable future.

Alhazred posted:

You can demand something that you have right to. As a citizen of Estonia I can demand many things from my fellow countrymen and the government, but when I go to Sweden, I couldn't, because I have neither the moral nor the legal right to do so. I'm not Swedish, I don't have family there, my tax money hasn't gone to support and expand the country and the welfare of its people. I don't expect anything, I don't take anything for granted, and if I'm given something, I'm grateful.

How's that for basic human decency?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

OhYeah posted:

You can demand something that you have right to. As a citizen of Estonia I can demand many things from my fellow countrymen and the government, but when I go to Sweden, I couldn't, because I have neither the moral nor the legal right to do so. I'm not Swedish, I don't have family there, my tax money hasn't gone to support and expand the country and the welfare of its people. I don't expect anything, I don't take anything for granted, and if I'm given something, I'm grateful.

These people are not coming to Europe for sightseeing, you dickbag.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OhYeah posted:

And people say Americans hate the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OhYeah posted:

If you go Sweden its because you chose to, refugees don't have that luxury. You're demanding that desperate people thank you because you gave them shelter, how is that for basic human decency?

• Locked thread