Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

I rented this game back in the day and that was my only experience with it. I think I only went on the good path up to a dumb midway boss that hasn't been fought on the LP yet.

Never touched it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Here's an advertisement of this game from Japan. It features Shadow breakdancing for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1maFaXBRpM

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Here's an advertisement of this game from Japan. It features Shadow breakdancing for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1maFaXBRpM

I......... VERY much do not understand what this is supposed to be. Was this... something that played on television? How does it

No wait know what it's as bad at pitching a game as any E3 trailer, only the juxtaposition of peppy rainbow dance party music with the evil hedgehog alien shootemup game is a bit jarring. Honestly though. The rabbit hole of baffling boardroom decisions has no fathomable depth with Shadow, huh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It reminds me of those early Dreamcast commercials where all the video game characters were basically having a party inside the Dreamcast and Sonic was a DJ, you know, only in this one everything is completely insane and they don't even seem to be trying to sell the product.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lemma posted:

I......... VERY much do not understand what this is supposed to be.

It's Shadow the Hedgehog. Baby.

Here's the original song video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3pEpQw2apU

kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It features Shadow breakdancing for some reason.

It's from the scrapped Chaos Shuffle where Shadow stuns all on-screen enemies with his sick moves.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I'm used to Japanese stuff getting Americanized, but not the other way around.

Wait, wasn't this game made in Japan?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dancing to advertise a video game? Sounds normal to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjpHzLYHkwA

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
By the way, I feel I must correct you. Sonic and the Black Knight beats this game out with a whopping five Crush 40 songs.

Also, there's only two in this game. All Hail Shadow is originally by Magna-Fi and was remixed by Crush 40 for Sonic 2006. :eng101:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheFattestPat posted:

I'm used to Japanese stuff getting Americanized, but not the other way around.

Wait, wasn't this game made in Japan?

The original Sonic Adventure 2 was made by Sonic Team USA. You have Uncle Sam to blame for Shadow.

And yeah, this game was made by the United States as well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

alcharagia posted:

By the way, I feel I must correct you. Sonic and the Black Knight beats this game out with a whopping five Crush 40 songs.

Also, there's only two in this game. All Hail Shadow is originally by Magna-Fi and was remixed by Crush 40 for Sonic 2006. :eng101:

You're right on both counts. My memory tricked me into thinking that the intro theme and the final boss theme are different songs, but they most certainly are not.

e: I genuinely had no idea Sonic & The Black Knight had five Crush 40 songs in it, though. :psyduck:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 25, 2015

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Crush 40 songs are the only good things about any Sonic game after 1999.

EDIT:

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Colors and Generations were good.

I think we can agree they were better than Shadow the Hedgehog and leave it at that.

Sue fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 25, 2015

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Sue posted:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sue posted:

There's some good non-Crush 40 songs as well.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Color Printer posted:

I love how nobody in the game or the video even bats an eye at Rouge somehow also being inside a loving computer
:cawg:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
all the internet's bitgems are mine

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like how all of Shadow's lines in these cutscenes were him repeating things Black Doom said, Solid Snake style.

The computer area actually looks pretty rad, which really makes it stick out like a sore thumb because everything else in the game is either recycled from Sonic Adventure 2 and Heroes, or visually dull as gently caress.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The problem with Digital circuit is that it's soundtrack is high pitched, repetitive, and loops very fast. No matter how neat it looks You're going to have that 20 second loop of beeping burned into your skull by the time you finish.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Sonic Adventure 2 was good too. Yes this is the hill I'll die on I guess.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The thing is about good post-Adventure Sonic games is that they're often ones a lot of people ignore, like handheld games.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Ramos posted:

The original Sonic Adventure 2 was made by Sonic Team USA. You have Uncle Sam to blame for Shadow.

And yeah, this game was made by the United States as well.

I guess providing some balance to our debt to history is the fact that Sonic 2 was also made in the US. Sonic CD was made at the same time by the Japanese team.

alcharagia posted:

Curiously, the theme to Shadow was originally supposed to be Who I Am by Magna-fi. I guess they couldn't clear it? But Magna-fi still made an original song for the game. Is it legally easier to make an original song than to license one out?

Oh yeah, I guess two of the ending songs were going to be licensed songs by Sins of a Divine Mother? I can see why they weren't keen on being associated with this game, in any case.

TwoPair posted:

I am on the side of defending the Adventure games on their relative merit, although the first game in particular I put in the category of "cool at the time but hasn't aged well." Which is hardly that much of a slam; I put Half Life and Metal Gear Solid in the same category. Not many games from that era hold up all that amazingly by modern standards, however impressive they were at the time.

I think the Dreamcast-era games could have been much more fondly remembered if they were just those two odd experimental games in the series, before they figured out a really solid 3d formula and made it really work in subsequent titles. Instead they are sort of seen as the beginning of the slow descent into madness that was the mid-aughts Sonic series. The fact that Sonic '06 is basically an even buggier, more poorly thought out Adventure game certainly doesn't help any.

Mr Tastee posted:

The thing is about good post-Adventure Sonic games is that they're often ones a lot of people ignore, like handheld games.

Actually, Sonic Rush was pretty drat fun, except for the loving "mash A button" bit in the fight with Blaze. But yeah, I thought that particular game did a really good job of putting a fun little twist on the basic Sonic formula, with the charge meter and all. Rush Adventure kind of ruined it by in-ex-loving-splicably putting in millions of pages of dialogue into the same exact formula. Game-wise, though, it's very good, and the emeralds being hidden out on the ocean and there to be collected at your leisure was about the best Sonic ever did with an overworld concept. The Advance games were okay, I guess. The worst I can say about them is they just sort of lazily aped stuff from the Genesis era without doing much new, although the combinable pairs in Sonic Advance 3 made for the only time in history where you were incentivized to try out other characters. All in all, if you ignore the console games Sonic has maintained a fairly respectable 2D career.

edit edit: has everyone here seen the magnificent Froggy meltdown on Game Grumps? Sonic Adventure DX part 46, it's been making me chuckle on and off for a week now.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 26, 2015

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I always had more fun with SA1 than SA2. I think part of it was that I just preferred the lighter overall tone of SA1.

Thinking about it, SA2 is probably the second darkest Sonic game after this masterpiece. '06 might be though. Looking back, Sonic games between SA2 and Sonic '06 were really weird about their tone. What was wrong with Sega?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TwoPair posted:

The only thing that bothers me about the 2 Adventure games is that there's not enough of the best levels. Shadow legit only has like 4 levels in SA2. That's idiotic. However, I've sunk hundreds of hours into SA2:B. That game is amazing and I will never hear otherwise.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic Adventure 2 is good but only very sporadically. Only one of the gameplay styles is fun and on top of that half of the characters have levels that are really half-assed and not at all fun to play because the game was originally planned to have only 3 characters. And even the better levels have issues with their level design

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
SA2 is one of my favorites in the series. Even with it stupid/insane story, lovely camera, annoying characters and enemy types,boring/awful boss fights , and hilarious music. Probably one of my only guilty pleasures....look, sonic games are bad okay

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Most of Eggman and Knuckles' stages are relatively well-designed and fun to play, even if they're not as good as Sonic and Shadow's stages. Tails and Rouge probably have the worst levels.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

People undestimate how crappy Shadow's 4 levels are. Radical Highway has the cool setpiece of grinding down a bridge by otherwise is a pretty bland chain of same-ish floating platforms. White Jungle is a more boring Green Forest with bad draw distance. Sky Rail is a bunch of recycled assets from Punpkin Hill lazily connected by grind rails, and Final Chase is a complete mess with terrible gravity physics.
Sonic, Eggman, and Knuckles definitely had their stages developed first, while Rouge, Tails, and Shadow had their stages cobbled together during crunch time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Oh man, I don't know why I didn't see this thread before.

My brothers and I survived Sonic Heroes and its poo poo-tastic camera and game engine, but we only managed to rent this one, beat it once, and then never touched the drat thing again.

Despite all that, the soundtrack owns and I will at least defend that. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sonic Adventure 2 is an enduring classic despite its faults because 1. its storyline is hysterical and 2. it is still mad fun to play despite being kind of on the whole bad.

Also: EY YO DIS YA MAIN MAN KNUCKLES

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

Do it Tails, a purple unicorn in a cape can't be wrong.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

SWMadness posted:

Despite all that, the soundtrack owns and I will at least defend that. :colbert:

I do like the Ark and Cosmic Fall music. The later even made a reappearance in Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, which shockingly was a pretty good game.

edit: is that comic a fanart or a real product?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemma posted:

I do like the Ark and Cosmic Fall music. The later even made a reappearance in Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, which shockingly was a pretty good game.

edit: is that comic a fanart or a real product?

Yes. Sonic comics are pretty amazing things but look if we derail onto that we'll need a whole other thread. It's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down please trust me.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 27, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Augus posted:

People undestimate how crappy Shadow's 4 levels are. Radical Highway has the cool setpiece of grinding down a bridge by otherwise is a pretty bland chain of same-ish floating platforms. White Jungle is a more boring Green Forest with bad draw distance. Sky Rail is a bunch of recycled assets from Punpkin Hill lazily connected by grind rails, and Final Chase is a complete mess with terrible gravity physics.
Sonic, Eggman, and Knuckles definitely had their stages developed first, while Rouge, Tails, and Shadow had their stages cobbled together during crunch time.

Nah, I've recently replayed SA2 with my younger cousin. Shadow's levels hold up pretty well since they manage to keep up the pace and flow decently enough. Really, Tails' stages are admittedly weaker than Eggman's but that's mostly due to a lack of stuff to shoot. Eggman's stages were just filled to the brim and half of the fun was shooting absolutely everything in your way.

Rouge's stage were pretty bad though, yeah. I've always found the treasure hunting to be the weakest parts of the game, but Knuckles got relatively vanilla stages while Rouge got time limits, pseudo stealth, and Mad Space.

But in general the game just holds well mostly due to its really campy sense of humor and flare. Shadow's game occasionally reaches that with stuff like the President having a picture of the two on his desk, but it really does take itself too seriously.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah Ken Penders is a crazy rear end in a top hat. Although unlike most other crazy assholes in the comic business he doesn't actually have any real talent to speak of. There was a thread about this (sort of) in BSS awhile back. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562522&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26
It starts there and goes on and off for a few pages afterwards.

You know one thing you can say about Shadow the Hedgehog? You can argue all day about whether or not it's better or worse than 06 but we can all agree on one thing. At least there is no scene where somebody performs a Sniper Rifle abortion. You can actually come up with a good excuse with everything in the game can can kind of see why it's there. Why are there vehicles? Well GTA was really popular at the time. Why make a dark and edgy spin off of Sonic? Because they wanted to appease the fan base and haven't realized how insane they all are and that do actually make them happy we would have to end with having Sonic gently caress Tails. Why are there gun? again GTA. Why are all the annoying friends here? We honestly thought they were popular. Why didn't we include Big the Cat? Because gently caress you that's why.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I always forget that the Sonic comics actually started to be good after a while. Even stupid 5-year olds like me when I was a stupid 5-year old thought the Penders comics were terrible incoherent messes that barely resembled the source material. The fact he was allowed to wreak havoc in his own private corner of the franchise for over a decade probably did a lot to make the Sonic fanbase as cancerous at it's known for being.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 27, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ken Penders is probably responsible for what the odder parts of Sonic fandom are like today. I've seen the things people do with OCs and holy crap is it just like the Penders bull.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Waffleman_ posted:

Ken Penders is probably responsible for what the odder parts of Sonic fandom are like today. I've seen the things people do with OCs and holy crap is it just like the Penders bull.

So many goddamn echidnas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's like they add these really weird concepts to the Sonic universe that just do not gel at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

^ That happens when you Sega of Japan marketing, Sega of America marketing, Archie/ Penders doing whatever the hell, and then also UK Sonic for extra confusion.

Also, Cosmic Wall in SA2 is one of the best levels and I stand by that. :colbert:

• Locked thread