Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey so my wife has a 2007 Toyota Yaris. The windshield wipers work in all settings except full blast doesn't do anything. Do you think it's the motor or something else? The dang motor is $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Croatoan posted:

Hey so my wife has a 2007 Toyota Yaris. The windshield wipers work in all settings except full blast doesn't do anything. Do you think it's the motor or something else? The dang motor is $100.

Much more likely the stalk.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Slavvy posted:

Much more likely the stalk.

So this? http://www.carid.com/standard/intermotor-windshield-wiper-switch-mpn-wp-435.html

Know of anywhere thats cheaper? I've checked Amazon, Advance, Autozone.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

So this? http://www.carid.com/standard/intermotor-windshield-wiper-switch-mpn-wp-435.html

Know of anywhere thats cheaper? I've checked Amazon, Advance, Autozone.
https://www.rockauto.com has it for $80 before shipping, or try a local junk yard. The junk yard option is fun cuz you get to make your way to the part in order to remove it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

scuz posted:

https://www.rockauto.com has it for $80 before shipping

Got a link? It's giving me $97.79

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

Got a link? It's giving me $97.79

and awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay we gooooooooooo

edit: It's before shipping, and there's one with a core charge there (like a reverse-reverse mail-in rebate) to make it a bit cheaper (maybe).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh ok. That's for the motor but I guess I'm looking for the switch. Thanks anyway man!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

scuz posted:

and awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay we gooooooooooo

edit: It's before shipping, and there's one with a core charge there (like a reverse-reverse mail-in rebate) to make it a bit cheaper (maybe).

We were looking for the stalk, not the motor though.
I would put good blades and aquapel on your windshield if you don't want to spend all that money right now, although those aren't extremely cheap either (but so so good in rainy weather).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Eifert Posting posted:

1: For some reason sometimes I can't secure the clutch in second gear. I will make the same motion I always do but it won't stick. I assume that it's because the engine is revving too high, because I've never had the issue moving from first to third. On a lower power engine like my Fit is there much call for second gear outside of parking lots?

You said "secure the clutch," what do you mean?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Does anyone have an opinion on the best lubricant for an old-school Bendix screw mechanism on a starter motor? It's not totally jammed, but it has an annoying tendency to just sit there spinning rather than throwing out to engage unless you give it a thump.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I have a 1990 Toyota Pickup. One of my rear turn signal lights (the left one) has burned out. I have the replacement part, an 1156 bulb. Thing is I can't get the old bulb out of the socket. Is there a trick to these things? I notice the 1156 bulb has little bumps on the sides at the part where it goes into the socket, but it's not like a coaxial cable where you have to turn it to lock it, right? There's no twisting in installing or removing these things?

I'm worried that if I manhandle this thing too much the bulb will break and I'll never get it out. Also glass shards in my hand.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, it's a bayonet fitting. Push it a little and turn it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Sex Cannon posted:

I have a 1990 Toyota Pickup. One of my rear turn signal lights (the left one) has burned out. I have the replacement part, an 1156 bulb. Thing is I can't get the old bulb out of the socket. Is there a trick to these things? I notice the 1156 bulb has little bumps on the sides at the part where it goes into the socket, but it's not like a coaxial cable where you have to turn it to lock it, right? There's no twisting in installing or removing these things?

I'm worried that if I manhandle this thing too much the bulb will break and I'll never get it out. Also glass shards in my hand.

Usually you install those bulbs by pushing down and turning to the right about a quarter turn.

Try pushing down and turning to the left.

I had one get stuck like this, so I broke off the glass part, took a pair of needle nosed pliers and stuck them in the base so that you force the handle out instead of squeezing it in, pushed down and turned it to the left and out it came.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 27, 2015

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Thanks, fellas. I'll give it a shot.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I got me an 01 Honda Civic that's making this noise. Gets louder when I turn left. Goes faster if I speed up, slower if I slow down etc etc.

https://vid.me/k2qE

Mechanic I took it to thought it was the ball joint, but that wasn't it :smith:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

PaganGoatPants posted:

I got me an 01 Honda Civic that's making this noise. Gets louder when I turn left. Goes faster if I speed up, slower if I slow down etc etc.

Sounds like a bad cv joint to me

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

PaganGoatPants posted:

If your comfortable doing it, jack the front wheels up and check for play. Push and pull on the top, bottom and sides of the tire, if there is movement its a bad thing. Also take a minute to look at the CV boots and see if there is a tear.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

rdb posted:

If your comfortable doing it, jack the front wheels up and check for play. Push and pull on the top, bottom and sides of the tire, if there is movement its a bad thing. Also take a minute to look at the CV boots and see if there is a tear.

Ok I will try that. I just saw a few videos on how to do it on youtube.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

You said "secure the clutch," what do you mean?

When I try to secure the stick in second gear it's almost like it's getting spit back out into neutral. the rpm will flare and I usually just throw it into third when I realize what happened.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Eifert Posting posted:

When I try to secure the stick in second gear it's almost like it's getting spit back out into neutral. the rpm will flare and I usually just throw it into third when I realize what happened.

If it's only at high rpm, you're getting locked out of gear because you're not depressing the clutch pedal enough. If you're getting locked out even after pressing the clutch lower, you may need to adjust the cmc/pedal link, or have a very badly worn out clutch. IIRC your car was pretty new, so it may just be a technique issue.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Is there a thread for Uber/Lyft/other driving jobs on the forums anywhere? I looked through AI and the finance/careers forums and didn't see anything. I'm exactly the type of person that could make money with it but I was looking for entrance bonuses or seeing if I could help a goon out with a referral or something before I went through with the initial stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm completely newb when it comes to diesels, and I'm probably opening up a can of worms here.

But how are VWs putting out up to 40x more emissions when they're actually, I assume, running leaner? I assume leaner since they get better MPG while not in "fool the EPA" mode, and I always thought diesel engines didn't have a throttle plate (aside from an "oh poo poo it's running away" plate on some engines)... just that they adjusted RPM/power by adjusting the amount of fuel and adjusting the timing? I can see NOx going up if cylinder temps are higher, but it sounds like it's more than just NOx, right?

Uthor posted:

You're not going fast and you're not driving far in reverse. It's fine to modulate your speed with your clutch. Any extra wear is going to be insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Just don't, you know, floor the accelerator whole backing up and you'll be fine.

This. I basically idle in reverse and slip the clutch enough to keep the car reversing at a reasonable speed. Assuming flat ground anyway. Reverse generally has the lowest gearing, so it's easiest to get moving without much throttle.

PaintVagrant posted:

If it's only at high rpm, you're getting locked out of gear because you're not depressing the clutch pedal enough.

Also this, if you're not pressing the clutch completely to the floor (literally against the floor), you're possibly not fully disengaging it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

I'm completely newb when it comes to diesels, and I'm probably opening up a can of worms here.

But how are VWs putting out up to 40x more emissions when they're actually, I assume, running leaner? I assume leaner since they get better MPG while not in "fool the EPA" mode, and I always thought diesel engines didn't have a throttle plate (aside from an "oh poo poo it's running away" plate on some engines)... just that they adjusted RPM/power by adjusting the amount of fuel and adjusting the timing? I can see NOx going up if cylinder temps are higher, but it sounds like it's more than just NOx, right?

I believe NOx is the main thing, yes. That's always been the main emissions issue with diesels in the US, hence why most other brands use urea injection; urea reacts inside the catalysts they use, decomposing NOx gases into molecular nitrogen and water vapor.

VW was notable for being the only manufacturer to meet regs without it and get good MPG at the same time, now we know how they did it (or rather didn't do it).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the best lubricant for an old-school Bendix screw mechanism on a starter motor? It's not totally jammed, but it has an annoying tendency to just sit there spinning rather than throwing out to engage unless you give it a thump.

The bendix is not supposed to be lubed at all according to the guys at my local rebuild place. I was told that anything thin enough to do the job just ends up making a mess and getting into the starter to cause problems and anything heavy enough to stay cakes up and makes the situation worse than it was before in short order.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

The bendix is not supposed to be lubed at all according to the guys at my local rebuild place. I was told that anything thin enough to do the job just ends up making a mess and getting into the starter to cause problems and anything heavy enough to stay cakes up and makes the situation worse than it was before in short order.
Hmm, that would seem logical, yes. I'll clean off the slightly sticky stuff that's on there currently and see how it bench tests.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm looking to use an add-a-circuit fuse holder, but all I can find are rated for 10A and I kinda need 30A. What do I do?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Eifert Posting posted:

This may be a technique issue but I think more information is needed and I'm worried I'm going to do a terrible job of getting it all.

Are you shifting up to 2nd from 1st? Or down to 2nd from a higher gear?

You're off the accelerator when shifting right?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

If you really want to take it off you can but the rope trick works swimmingly. Ive done it so many times.
Back to this from a few pages ago. Details for this? Do I want braided nylon rope? Soft and flexible or more rigid kinda? I'm stuffing the rope into the spark plug hole, right?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
So I have a Corrado G60 Valve cover on my VW 1.8L 8v, currently attached with M6 studs and nuts.

Is there any reason not to go with regular socket head M6 bolts instead?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

scuz posted:

Back to this from a few pages ago. Details for this? Do I want braided nylon rope? Soft and flexible or more rigid kinda? I'm stuffing the rope into the spark plug hole, right?

Rigid works pretty good. Yea you just stick as much as you can through the spark plug hole and then turn the crankshaft with a wrench until it gets tight up against the valves.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

0toShifty posted:

So I have a Corrado G60 Valve cover on my VW 1.8L 8v, currently attached with M6 studs and nuts.

I just have the stock valve cover on my 8V and I used regular M6 bolts and its been fine for 9 years so far.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bolind posted:

I'm looking to use an add-a-circuit fuse holder, but all I can find are rated for 10A and I kinda need 30A. What do I do?

What are you adding that needs 30A and how are you trying to wire it? That kind of draw I'd probably want to come directly off of the positive terminal to a fuse and a relay.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

0toShifty posted:

The only time I design something to use studs, it's because there is either a clearance issue or its to aid in assembly (ie, you can hang the part on the studs so you don't have to hold the whole weight while tightening the nuts). If you don't have either of those considerations, then bolts should be fine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just wire 3 identical 10A fuses in parallel. :downs:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

What are you adding that needs 30A and how are you trying to wire it? That kind of draw I'd probably want to come directly off of the positive terminal to a fuse and a relay.

It's for my eternal powered seat project. The load will be once in a blue moon, but as far as I remember, it draws quite a bit. The 30A is what it's fused for. The factory setup is still fused through the normal fuse panel, so I don't see why it couldn't be done with an add-a-fuse.

For reference, these are what I'm using.

They're nominally rated for 10A. The wire is 16AWG, insulation rated to 105°C.

I took one apart, in the hopes that I could crimp in a heavier gauge wire, but that looks to be a bit challenging.

Enourmo posted:

Just wire 3 identical 10A fuses in parallel. :downs:

I actually briefly considered that :D .

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You might be better off installing another small fuse block. There are small ones (5 or so fuses) for about $10. Gives some room for additional projects, too.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
OK, but where would I source the power for that? This is on a BMW so everything takes place about a foot in front of the passenger's right knee, behind the glove box. It's not very accessible, to say the least, but at least it's out of the elements.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The battery. You'd run a larger gauge cable to the battery to power the block. I've been seeing a lot of projects in Jeeps this year as a lot of people are installing electronic devices like e-lockers, a fuckton of external lighting, CBs, etc.

Edit: This is an easy topic to research...I didn't go into details, but it doesn't look like it's much more complicated than what you're trying, but it's probably easier to find the parts and arguably safer.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The fuse panel should be fairly modular - if you can figure out how to get to the back of it - you should find extra 12v pins on the back meant for accessories. Sometimes they'll add a clip-on fuse holder on the top of the panel for factory accessories. I added power windows (30A) to my Scirocco like that.

If your battery is in the trunk - the cable passes by the passenger side area. I have seen in the e30 - it has this area in the front cowl where the rear part of the battery cable comes to a junction where a battery would have been on an earlier model - and you can tap 12v there. I'm not sure that any other BMWs are set up like that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punkr0csux
May 1, 2008
I've been thinking about this for a weekend/fun car:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/5230507996.html

I checked it out on Sunday. Rode it around for about ten miles through all its gears and I checked the lights and turn signals ,the proper latching of the top and listened for any unusual suspension/engine sounds. Tires looked relatively new, the AC blew cold and the car seemed to be in good shape. Is there anything else besides running the VIN through carfax that I should ask/test for before putting in an offer?